Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2012, 02:45   #406
Senior - BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

^^^BSNL (at least here) does not provide a free modem. You either have to buy it from them or rent it. But if there are no stocks, you get neither.... or just maybe they will give you one on rent, if they have used ones in stock. But I'd say its not economical to get it on rent. Only advantage is you can get it replaced anytime, if it kicks the bucket. But if you purchase one from BSNL, you only get a 1 year warranty.

Other things you have mentioned could of course be advantageous if the buyer needs those options open.

Last edited by Raccoon : 25th July 2012 at 02:46.
Old 25th July 2012, 11:53   #407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^BSNL (at least here) does not provide a free modem.
Hmm.. In that case I stand corrected. I assumed BSNL provides Modem free of charge like AirTEL does. I was an Airtel customer until last year and switched to BSNL FTTH service where they provide the ONT (in place of modem for Fiber) and I just had to connect my Router to access internet in WiFi.
Old 25th July 2012, 14:17   #408
BHPian

i just bought Micromax MMX400R 3G GSM wireless router. I'll be using my vodafone 3G sim card in it for data usage. Main purpose is to create WiFi hotspot for using data in multiple devices at once.
Old 29th July 2012, 10:54   #409
BHPian

There is a problem that am having with the Dlink DWR131 wi-fi router. When am trying to use the USB port to plug in the Tata Photon+ data card the USB is not recognizing or rather the USB light on the device is not glowing. Its a brand new device and am able to use the device when I connect it through the Ethernet cable.

Also when wi-fi enabled the router is detected by all my other devices,what am i doing wrong here. Is there a way that the USB needs to be configured first before use? Please Help

http://img5.flixcart.com//image/rout...gdn7kreez.jpeg
Old 29th July 2012, 16:29   #410
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
When am trying to use the USB port to plug in the Tata Photon+ data card the USB is not recognizing or rather the USB light on the device is not glowing.
I didn't even know such a thing could be done. Thanks for drawing my attention to this device. I haven't bought a router for five years: I'm seriously out of touch!

Anyway, there is a link to a 12-page PDF list of compatible dongles on the product page. Probably worth checking.
Old 29th July 2012, 16:40   #411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I didn't even know such a thing could be done. Thanks for drawing my attention to this device. I haven't bought a router for five years: I'm seriously out of touch!

Anyway, there is a link to a 12-page PDF list of compatible dongles on the product page. Probably worth checking.
Yes, nowdays you can buy 3G/4G USB wifi routers, I switched to one and am happy using it with the multiple devices at home.
Old 12th August 2012, 01:19   #412
BHPian

Just got myself the TP-Link WD-8961ND ADSL Modem-Router and set it up. Cost me INR 2399 from mark-infotech on eBay India.

The interface is a little more complicated than the BSNL/Huawei routers, but not all that difficult. There is a setup wizard that makes the job even easier. This is available both on the accompanying CD as well as via the browser interface. However, I went manual, and was able to get the connection up and running in about 10 minutes.

Now I need to study the router interface before I set up my NAT and tighten security.

I also ordered 2 TL-ANT2408CL 2.4GHz 8dBi Indoor Omni-directional Antenna for INR 699 each (plus shipping) from the same seller to replace the 5dBi ones that come with the 8961, which has significantly added to wireless performance.

First impression is that performance is pretty good, both net and WiFi. Getting a very strong signal throughout the house, where I used to get severe drop-off before with the iBall Baton WRA-150N I was using before this.

Net speeds also seem much faster and more stable than with the iBall router, but that may be subjective. I will run some tests to find out.

Last edited by pillainp : 12th August 2012 at 01:23.
Old 12th August 2012, 10:12   #413
BHPian

My router is due for a replacement, any inputs on the following are much appreciated.

Following are my requirements

Should support IEEE 802.11n
Support External USB HDD upto 2TB min
Fast transfer rates from External storage so that one can stream HD videos
Compatibility with Airport Express (My amp is remotely hooked to it)
Availability in India

Thanks
Fillmore
Old 12th August 2012, 11:03   #414
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
My router is due for a replacement, any inputs on the following are much appreciated.

Following are my requirements

Compatibility with Airport Express (My amp is remotely hooked to it)
Availability in India

Thanks
Fillmore
I'm not sure about the first point, but why not pick up an Airport Extreme?
Old 12th August 2012, 11:17   #415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I'm not sure about the first point, but why not pick up an Airport Extreme?
Airport Extreme is out of my list for the following reasons.

1. Cost is 11k+ ... (not worth)
2. I do not have any apple devices that would use all the goodies of products from the same family. Laptop(personal/work) Windows, Mobile Android, Media player Linux based.
The A.Express is the only apple device and it can connect to any 11n Wifi router.
3. A.Extreme does not support NTFS external drives, it has to be either Mac or FAT32.
Old 12th August 2012, 21:32   #416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can look at Belkin n600 DB. It costs 4.5k.

It supports NTFS and has 4 antennas. If WiFi adapter has multiple antennas, you can get speeds up to 10 -20 MBps (advertized speeds are 300 mbps or 40 MBps).

Only downside, no custom ROM.
Old 12th August 2012, 22:29   #417
BHPian

Got Asus RT-N66U, perfect choice for private cloud setup at home.
http://www.asus.com/Networks/Wireless_Routers/RTN66U/
Old 13th August 2012, 18:05   #418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
Just got myself the TP-Link WD-8961ND ADSL Modem-Router and set it up. Cost me INR 2399 from mark-infotech on eBay India.

The interface is a little more complicated than the BSNL/Huawei routers, but not all that difficult. There is a setup wizard that makes the job even easier. This is available both on the accompanying CD as well as via the browser interface. However, I went manual, and was able to get the connection up and running in about 10 minutes.

Now I need to study the router interface before I set up my NAT and tighten security.

I also ordered 2 TL-ANT2408CL 2.4GHz 8dBi Indoor Omni-directional Antenna for INR 699 each (plus shipping) from the same seller to replace the 5dBi ones that come with the 8961, which has significantly added to wireless performance.

First impression is that performance is pretty good, both net and WiFi. Getting a very strong signal throughout the house, where I used to get severe drop-off before with the iBall Baton WRA-150N I was using before this.

Net speeds also seem much faster and more stable than with the iBall router, but that may be subjective. I will run some tests to find out.

I am super confused. I have to get a router + modem. Going by flipkart reviews of the baton, it seemed good but it looks that you had a bad experience with it. In contrast, the reviews of most tp link devices are bad. I am ruling out belkin due to service centre issues. My options are DLINK 2750, 2730 and iball baton. Which one do you recommend? Also please elaborate on the performance of the router without the new antennae you bought. I cant buy those because its out of budget. Is the stock performance good for a 2200 sq ft house. I cant buy repeaters due to budget issues, so i need to get the best router with stock performance, both wifi and bsnl broadband.
Old 13th August 2012, 18:37   #419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
You can look at Belkin n600 DB..
@NetfreakBombay,

Well the Belkin n600 DB does look like a good deal.
However there are mixed reviews - of 6.97 mbps speed on 2.4GHz & 7.07 mbps 5GHz n/w.
Dont want to rush into it and regret later.
Moreover it is not in stock in most places at the moment.

For regular browsing as a router I know its more than sufficient, however with my requirement of being able to stream to the media player I don't think it might scale up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Got Asus RT-N66U, perfect choice for private cloud setup at home
@2500cc,
Asus RT-N66U is indeed powerful. But want to evaluate all options first cause its 14k+
Goodies are it has 2 USB slots so you can have the printer and an ext storage.
Good speeds of min 98Mbps on 5GHz n/w on Wifi and Gigabit Ethernet if its hardwired.

However for this price I might even want and get one of the new gen 802.11ac routers.
Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Router EA4500 - available from 13.5k+
Or maybe the cheaper Linkysy EA3500 N750
Or Netgear WNDR4500

It's getting more confusing, I need to re-evaluate whether its better to get a high scaling router that has fast wifi transfer rates Or reconfigure my setup at home such that the HDD is hardwired into the media player :-( ..
Old 13th August 2012, 18:50   #420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@NetfreakBombay,

Well the Belkin n600 DB does look like a good deal.
However there are mixed reviews - of 6.97 mbps speed on 2.4GHz & 7.07 mbps 5GHz n/w.
~7 mbps is way too low. I get around 20 MBps with proper setup*.

* Both WiFi router AND adapter must have multiple antennas and mube setup to use multiple channels simultaneously.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks