Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2011, 21:55   #256
BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by katpasin View Post
I just ordered a Asus RT-N16 router for Rs5575 from ebay.

Have been using BSNL UTStarcom wifi router and serves me really well. Just no disconnections.
I have ordered Asus RT-N56U from officeduniya today (price INR 8,549/-). Got Xbox 360 recently, so want to go for a high end router which has USB HDD support for media streaming.

Using Linksys WRTP54G for the past 5 years. Having some issue with power input on that and also the signal is not reaching to the front room in my new house (around 30ft).
Old 21st October 2011, 02:26   #257
BHPian

Hi, I currently have an MTNL ADSL connection and have the WRT54GS wifi router. We have now shifted and it is a 2 stories apartment(G+1). The wifi router is placed on the ground floor and is not in a corner but somewhere near the center of the ground floor. The problem is that and the WRT54gs range is not reaching all the rooms on the 1st floor and I would prefer very good connectivity everywhere. I am also planning to add a wireless printer.

What would bhpi'ans here suggest? Should I upgrade to a new router, if yes, which one? or I have heard that access points may help me solve the problem(I don't have much idea about access points).

PS: The WRT54GS is placed in the center of the floor but not totally open, it is in kind of a storage cupboard which has ventilated doors.
Old 21st October 2011, 22:52   #258
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Access point is the cheapest solution i can think of.
SirAlec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2011, 23:12   #259
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiosity View Post
PS: The WRT54GS is placed in the center of the floor but not totally open, it is in kind of a storage cupboard which has ventilated doors.
Try placing it out and as far as away from the wall. Should help a lil bit.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2011, 01:14   #260
BHPian

Thanks Sir Alec, I think I'm going to try just that but before that for my better understanding could you please explain how does an access point really work? If I plan to install an access point on the 1st floor, would I need to connect it via a LAN cable to the main router or will it boost the existing wifi connection it is getting?

Jaggu: It is not possible for me to keep it out as that place is for the router and modem and I would the router and the modem not to be seen.
Old 22nd October 2011, 01:40   #261
Team-BHP Support

As SirAlec said, a range extender/access point is your best solution
Belkin : Wireless G Universal Range Extender/Access Point
Old 22nd October 2011, 21:48   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Sir Alec, I think I'm going to try just that but before that for my better understanding could you please explain how does an access point really work? If I plan to install an access point on the 1st floor, would I need to connect it via a LAN cable to the main router or will it boost the existing wifi connection it is getting?

Jaggu: It is not possible for me to keep it out as that place is for the router and modem and I would the router and the modem not to be seen.
You have to run a Cat5e or Cat 6 cable (if outdoor over long distance) (in simple words LAN cable) from your router or modem to the Access point.

Access point simply extends your existing network with the same IP range.

Last edited by SirAlec : 22nd October 2011 at 21:49.
SirAlec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2011, 15:10   #263
BHPian

Bought this Asus RT N-16 Router after a lot of research. My existing BSNL Modem/router conked due to lightning! This one has 4 Gigabit ports, Wifi is 802.11 N with speeds upto 300Mbps and has two USB ports! I am now using the Type-1 BSNL modem/router as a modem only with Asus router initiating the PPPoE connections.

To top it, flashed the factory settings to use Tomato USB firmware. Must say Tomato USB Firmware was one of the best firmwares I have loaded in the long time. Gives you everything that you want: MRTG type graphs, complete logs with domains accessed, Torrent downloader (had to download & install Optware + Transmission client), DDNS support, Wake on LAN, USB Printing, FTP, Samba shares, support for VPN tunneling as well.

Router costed 90$ from amazon. It was delivered to a friend in US who got it while coming here.
Attached Thumbnails
On Wi-Fi & Routers-20111023-14.56.40.jpg  

Old 23rd October 2011, 20:13   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Hi whats the range like, in an 3BHK apartment is the signal available on every corner of the house (irrespective of the walls)?
I was in a same situation, as the wiring in my flat did not give an option to keep the router in a central location. It is in a corner of 1700sqft flat. Solution: I made couple of parabolic reflectors for the antennae. Effect: I can browse TBHP on mobile from the bathroom on the opposite corner of the flat Google for making these reflectors.

On Wi-Fi & Routers-wrt_54g_reflector.jpg

Quote:
Hi, I currently have an MTNL ADSL connection and have the WRT54GS wifi router. We have now shifted and it is a 2 stories apartment(G+1). The wifi router is placed on the ground floor and is not in a corner but somewhere near the center of the ground floor. The problem is that and the WRT54gs range is not reaching all the rooms on the 1st floor and I would prefer very good connectivity everywhere. I am also planning to add a wireless printer.
@curiosity. RF power gets severely attenuated by reinforced concrete, than the walls. Check your hardware version of the router. If you are lucky, you can have a custom firmware on the router and increase the output transmit power level. More info here: Linksys WRT54G series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Again, as others have suggested, an access point is the worthwhile solution.

Last edited by bejoy : 23rd October 2011 at 20:15.
bejoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2011, 20:34   #265
Senior - BHPian

If your apartment or house is split across 2 levels or more. You should hook up extra wi-fi routers or access points to get good range and speeds.
Its better to do the wiring from the exterior of the building. Measure how much lan cable you would need from the outside. And then add some more to reach both the routers at their desired position. Also add a little for lee way for wrong measurement.
For eg if you need 15mtrs. Then buy 16-18mtrs.
Its always better to get more than less.
Do not get the cable crimped at the store.
Then get an electrician or carpenter to drill a hole big enough to allow the cable to pass on both floors.
Take the cable out the higher floor and bring it in through the hole created on the lower floor. Bring the cable all the way to your desired position of the router and then get it crimped.
You are almost good to go.
Let one router do the connecting to the internet and the other to just act as a signal booster.
This will help you get your desired range and speed within your whole house. You may even add more routers if you feel the need.
Have tried this out with Belkin routers and it works like a charm. Good luck!
Old 30th October 2011, 15:03   #266
Senior - BHPian

@mdsaab && @Jaggu

Need another help. The goal is to connect all devices in home on network (wireless, as cant be running wires everywhere) so as pictures, music, and movies can be shared. For example

1. WD Live Media player which has a network port behind but no wifi and would need some wifi device to enable it.
2. TV also has a network port behind (RJ 45)
3. Multiple laptops which have wifi alredy
4. Desktop which would need wifi network card

What i would now need is a router like this one, which would give decent speeds over wifi to be able to play videos and music seamlessly.
Buy Belkin F7D4401Zb Play Max Modem Router at Best Price in India - Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews

And for Storage
Amazon.com: Western Digital My Book Live 2 TB Personal Cloud Storage Drive: Electronics

Now i need something for the devices like TV and WD Media player to bring them on network they have RJ45 slot behind.

The question is what is best, so for example i looked at this

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-WNCE20...9967022&sr=8-1

The problem with WiFi Internet Adapter is i would need to buy one for each device and then they would need power (so more wires) which i want to avoid.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 30th October 2011 at 15:05.
Old 31st October 2011, 09:23   #267
Senior - BHPian

Regarding the Belkin Play max, i can vouch this is one of the best wifi routers out there. It has 2 USB ports too, for connecting your various devices.
Good range with 2 antennas, and great speeds too.
If i am not mistaken i picked it up for 6K odd from Croma, so do check there before you buy.

If the western digital hard drive is a wireless one.
You will not need that. You can hook up any portable HD to the playmax wifi router via USB and this makes your normal portable HD available for use over the wifi connection. It's really neat.

Regarding the netgear adapter, does it only connect 1 device at a time. I did not fully understand that product.
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2011, 11:22   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Regarding the netgear adapter, does it only connect 1 device at a time. I did not fully understand that product.
Ok thought of PM'ing you, but this puzzle might help others hence posting. Forget the netgear thingy found something better which could connect my WD Live player sitting in the hall to connect via Wifi to my router.

Amazon.com: Airlink101 AWLL5077 Golden 150Mbps Wireless Mini USB Adapter: LLYtech

So the goal is this - To have 1 storage in house (preferably RAID NAS Storage), and connect everyone (WD Player with TV sitting in Hall, Multiple Laptops, TV and Desktop) and the Wifi bandwidth needs to be enough to stream a Full HD Video across to the TV and not have jumpy creaky video.

Belkin looks like a good choice of router with Modem (So i can simply replace the existing one) gives about 300Mbps of Wifi speed should be enough to play video i believe?

Buy Belkin F7D4401Zb Play Max Modem Router at Best Price in India - Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews

Now we need to connect storage and devices, Storage for now i can use my existing USB HDD to connect to the router and it beacomes a common share which can be used by everyone. Later i can upgrade with this with a 3-5 TB NAS Share.

Now the last part is to connect devices like TV, WD Media player both have a network port behind and USB ports as well. So i am searching for something. Found this seems it would work with WD Live media player, is quiet cheap so i can just try it and if it does not work its ok. Gives about 150mbps speed which should still be ok to play full HD video content

Amazon.com: Airlink101 AWLL5077 Golden 150Mbps Wireless Mini USB Adapter: LLYtech

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 31st October 2011 at 11:25.
Old 31st October 2011, 11:27   #269
BHPian

I have used the Asus RT-N12 in repeater mode to extend the WiFi range in my house. Got it at about 30$ or so.

You can use it to Ethernet enable your devices by using it as a switch in wireless repeater mode to connect the Asus and your LCD/LED

Last edited by diyguy : 31st October 2011 at 11:29.
Old 31st October 2011, 15:49   #270
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I have a tata indicom broadband connection which uses a Zyxel P600 wireless modem. I have connected my airport express to join the tata network to extend the range. It works but not efficiently, if I close the door to the bedroom when I am inside the bedroom - the wifi signal isnt available.

What should I do ? Get a range extender ? Which one ?

Any work around with the Airport Express ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks