Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2011, 17:31   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
This website is not really a technical website. This seems like a general news website where some ignorant journalist has posted a misinformed article.
It'd The Daily Mail, a "popular" UK newspaper. How many ha-ha-haha-ha-ha-s am I allowed in a post?

Depending on the protocol level, the wireless might be faster.
Old 26th July 2011, 15:08   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Coming back to the topic, I have not noticed any reduction of torrent speed while on wifi connection as compared to wired. Wifi speeds are much higher than the speed of your internet connection, hence wifi will never be the bottleneck in determining torrent speed.

Rohan

Just to put some numbers on what rohan has already written:

Even with poor signal (no line of sight, three walls) my Wifi router gives 30Mbps or so. With full signal it gives 54Mbps.

Minus the overheads etc. you'll still get 50% of the above as data rate - that is 15Mbps minimum.

So if anybody can crib about this being slow he has to be using the super-expensive 16Mbps+ connections for home users. Somehow I don't believe that anybody with that kind of a connection would rely on news reports to find out what is slow and what isn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Depending on the protocol level, the wireless might be faster.

On an average data rate basis, as long as the bottleneck is at the ISP (e.g. my home connection is 2MBps and at work I get even lower speeds - ours is not a software company so I think the speed we have is less and is throttled on a user basis) the wired/wireless will give the same average speed.

Wireless latency is usually more (manily because there is one more router in between) - but that is hardly ever noticeable to most users. For a torrent or large download even that doesn't matter.

Last edited by vina : 26th July 2011 at 15:11.
Old 28th July 2011, 19:37   #213
BHPian

Quick question. Booked BSNL Boradband connection. They are telling that they are out of Wifi Modem and asked me to purchase on on my own.
Can anyone suggest some good modem? Prefer N. What is the best place to buy it?
The modem will be on the ground floor and i need to use internet on the first floor and terrace. So need good range. Budget is upto 3K.
Old 29th July 2011, 09:59   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
Quick question. Booked BSNL Boradband connection. They are telling that they are out of Wifi Modem and asked me to purchase on on my own.
Can anyone suggest some good modem? Prefer N. What is the best place to buy it?
The modem will be on the ground floor and i need to use internet on the first floor and terrace. So need good range. Budget is upto 3K.
If you are in Bangalore, S.P. road would be a good place to buy it. Buy any reputed brand like D-link, Netgear, Linksys etc. Price should be less than 2K.

I would not recommend a Belkin router. My friend purchased a Belkin wifi n router and suffered a lot because of it. First he got a faulty piece. He wasted a lot of time in calling customer care and visiting the service centre. Router was replaced free of cost but the performance of the router is not upto the mark. Signal strength reduces to half in the next room.

My advice - D-link is best for Indian conditions. Telling from personal experience.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2011, 10:07   #215
BHPian

Hi

Any one here using the Tata Photon pocket wifi router or olive nexus?
How long does the battery last? I am thinking of getting one to use with the ipad.

The usage time varies from 2-4hrs max,which is very less.So not sure!

Cheers!
Old 29th July 2011, 14:52   #216
BHPian

Quote:
If you are in Bangalore, S.P. road would be a good place to buy it. Buy any reputed brand like D-link, Netgear, Linksys etc. Price should be less than 2K.

I would not recommend a Belkin router. My friend purchased a Belkin wifi n router and suffered a lot because of it. First he got a faulty piece. He wasted a lot of time in calling customer care and visiting the service centre. Router was replaced free of cost but the performance of the router is not upto the mark. Signal strength reduces to half in the next room.

My advice - D-link is best for Indian conditions. Telling from personal experience.

Rohan
Thanks Rohan. Yes i also read about Belkin issues. Will stick to D-link or linksys. Can i pick it up from any other shop other than SP road?
Old 29th July 2011, 14:58   #217
BHPian

Go For Linksys, D-Link too has very bad report. I am using Linksys from last 4 yrs without any issues.
Old 29th July 2011, 15:18   #218
BHPian

Thanks sam. What was the cost of the linksys? Was it G or N? I am looking for N type. I need greater range. I think linksys will be a tad more expensive than D-link.
Old 29th July 2011, 15:21   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Its nothing to do with bittorrent. You are getting interference. Try changing the Wireless Channel of your Router. Is there a tikona or similar wireless access point in your area. They are very powerful, and if you are on the same channel, you can get problems.
But I really could not figure out your exact problem. You are getting frequent disconnections, right?
Frequent disconnections can sometimes result from using softwares like bittorrent, especially with older routers.

When you launch a program like bittorrent it starts sending a lot of DNS queries, these DNS queries are to be NATed so that they can be sent out of the router. For each NATed DNS query the router has to store the bindings. Now, if the seeds have gone off the internet these queries will never be replied back and they will linger on for almost eternity (NAT expiry timer is usually around 12 hours), hence needing a reset of router.

With house hold wireless routers you can not change these NAT timers, (unless you are using some open source linux based OS).

So if you have lot of DNS queries going out eventually you hit a limit and the router starts dropping connections.

This problem is compounded with increasing data transfer speeds.

I had a Netgear WGR614v9 router, it used to work find with 512Kbps and i used to use all torrent applications (it has a TCP connection limit of about 200 simultaneous sessions, has a host processor of about 200 MHZ), but when i upgraded to 2Mbps connection it started dropping connections a lot.

A good parameter to look for while buying a wireless router/modem is to find out how may TCP sessions does it support simultaneously.

Now i have a linksys e1000 and it works fine with 2Mbps.

Another parameter that you can tweak is the number of maximum connections going out of your torrent software. Keep it to some manageable level, so that lingering NAT translations does not choke up your router.
Old 29th July 2011, 17:25   #220
Senior - BHPian

I bought a Netgear Wifi router after BSNL said they were out of stock on WiFi routers. It has been serving me wonderfully well (My earlier router was also a Netgear which lasted close to 5 years).

It has a good range and i can access internet all over my house (Which is a 3BHK) on laptop and my Galaxy phone. I regularly use BitTorrent and never had an issue in last 2-3 years in download/disconnections.
Old 29th July 2011, 17:44   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

I am using D-Link for around threee or more years, with no problems --- but, around that time, people were talking about failing D-Link power supplies.
Old 29th July 2011, 17:48   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
I bought a Netgear Wifi router after BSNL said they were out of stock on WiFi routers. It has been serving me wonderfully well (My earlier router was also a Netgear which lasted close to 5 years).

It has a good range and i can access internet all over my house (Which is a 3BHK) on laptop and my Galaxy phone. I regularly use BitTorrent and never had an issue in last 2-3 years in download/disconnections.
How much did you pay for the Netgear? Did you pick it up from SP road?
Old 29th July 2011, 17:55   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post

Can you please provide the Netgear model no and the cost of the same. Also can you let me know what criteria is to be used to select a good WiFi router for home please.
Old 30th July 2011, 08:14   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
How much did you pay for the Netgear? Did you pick it up from SP road?
This is the router+modem (Its an old model) that i bought from Barton Center on MG Road. There is a computer shop on 5th/9th floor. It costed me 2.5K. There are much better ones that you could also look at.

Amazon.com: NETGEAR DG834G Wireless-G Router with Built-in DSL Modem: Electronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Can you please provide the Netgear model no and the cost of the same. Also can you let me know what criteria is to be used to select a good WiFi router for home please.
I bought this because it serves my purpose in my house. You might want to look at few parameters before buying and also because earlier one has given good 5+ years of service.

1. Do you intend to copy large files, or have hi Def (or Full HD) video player devices connected through the wifi router.
2. Do you have a big house, i have a 3BHK apartment and this router is sufficient for this apartment. If you have a bigger, multistoried house you might need higher or Dual "band" router and might need a 3x3 antenna router.

PC Mag has a good write-up on selecting routers, and its very recent as well. Here is the link.

How to Buy a Wireless Router | PCMag.com

Hope this helps.

PS: You might get it cheaper on SP Road, i usually don't buy from there as my confidence level on stuff sold there is way-low. On the other hand i have seen folks buying from there and getting good quality product. So its just my comfort factor with SP Road which is stopping me from buying from there.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 30th July 2011 at 08:20.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2011, 09:13   #225
BHPian

Do we need to make any additional configuration for DSL routers for using with BSNL or it is a plug and play like normal wifi routers?

I checked my BSNL router and there is no option as such for any username/password, but I remember that the technical person gave me some username and password while we took the connection.

Last edited by sumannandy : 30th July 2011 at 09:14.

Most Viewed