Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2012, 15:24   #361
BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

If you are worried about somebody misusing your Internet connection..then you can use a PPPoE dialer in you PC instead of setting up the userid/password in Router.
Old 10th May 2012, 02:35   #362
BHPian

Need a wifi router to cover a 1600 sqft home. I have zeroed in on 3 routers, which of these would be my best bet ?

1) TP LINK 150Mbps Wireless N Router + Beetel modem (220bx)

2) Netgear WGR614 Wireless-N 150 Router + Beetel modem (220bx)

3) D-Link DSL-2750U Wireless N ADSL2 Router (built in modem)

Kindly suggest me the option that would give me the best range and excellent connection strength all over the home without any dead spots.
Old 19th May 2012, 13:52   #363
BHPian

Win7 64bit unable to connect to netgear wifi router

Setup:
Airtel model model - Beetel 220bx1
Netgear WGR614 v7 - F/w 2.0.30 (latest)
Laptop 1 - win7 home 32bit (aka personal laptop)
Laptop 2 - win7 enterprise 64bit (aka office laptop)

Laptop1 - wired and wireless both work fine
Laptop 2 - wired works, wireless doesn't

Steps taken so far on laptop2
Reset router
reset (disable / enable) wifi adaptor
Removed router encryption - no luck

Output of Ipconfig /all is below:
--------------------------------
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . :
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . :

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6205
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82579LM Gigabit Network Connecti
on
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, May 19, 2012 1:33:59 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, May 20, 2012 1:33:59 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
--------------------------------

Please advice on how to get this fixed.

Edit- this is resolved now. The office laptop had a cisco utility which was conflicting with the native wireless utility. I removed the existing network from cisco and re-added it via cisco utility and voila.

Last edited by quadra : 19th May 2012 at 14:15. Reason: Issue fixed now
Old 19th May 2012, 15:51   #364
Team-BHP Support

Guys I need some quick help. I'm not in town ATM and I thought of buying a new wifi router. At home since the area is large I have 2 routers, One is the one provided by tata and the other a very old linksys. Rather than have 2 routers it would be easier to run everything on one network itself. So which router out there has very good range? Like about 10 meters through one or two concrete walls. The linksys range is crap, and it's too far away from the other router to set it up as a repeater.

So basically which router out there has the best range?
Old 20th May 2012, 14:06   #365
BHPian

@akshay1234 :asus rt n 16 would be my choice....
Old 21st May 2012, 21:19   #366
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to purchase a router for my home connection and need some help & guidance regarding the following thing.
I have a BSNL broadband connection powered by a Huawei smartax mt880 modem and would like to purchase a router compatible with it. I plan to use a standalone online UPS to eliminate the unnecessary powering up of PC. Have a budget of around Rs.2000. I would appreciate if someone can guide me in this regard.
Old 22nd May 2012, 16:25   #367
BHPian

@samsag12

for a ups get a decent one. you dont need to spend 2k for a ups just for a router and modem
also, do you have large power outages or small outages and then generators kicking ala housing complexes?

router - get the asus series rt n 12 or 13. buffalo routers are good as well...
edimax has decent routers within your budget, if you need wifi coverage upto 1200-1500 square feet

also you can dial using the router or modem.
why do you power on the pc?
Old 22nd May 2012, 17:05   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I have bought a Belkin router, a pretty basic one and was able to connect it and am now using it fine.

Now this router comes with an access key which I entered once during installation. It is however around/ less than 10 digits and I am super paranoid about someone else being able to access my internet connection

Is there anyway I can have one more password level, say at connection time? This will also help as a child safety thing at home. Though I have blocked it a browser level, these days its better to be doubly sure; kids learn too fast!

TIA
Little fiddly, but you can set access to allow only specific hardware devices.

The router will have a section called 'MAC filter' or similar, where you input the hardware MAC of each individual device - laptops usually have this inscribed on the bottom, and all device packages come with a sticker for the MAC. You have an issue if a guest wants to use their devices for a bit, though.

Combine this with a WPA2 password which is very complex (adding a 'Shift' key once in a while helps a lot) and you have a system that is impossible (for the casual hacker) to break into wirelessly.

Quote:

So basically which router out there has the best range?
Tough to say, but I get a connection of about 30-50Mbps at 30 feet from my Netgear WNDR3700V2. The earlier Asus RTN-13 would connect at the same speed, but was unusable, with transfer speeds below 200Kbps (note the lowercase B). The Netgear is at least usable, though for a good connection I have used a second router as a repeater - the combination results a speed of about ~80Mbps, which is sufficient for me.
Old 22nd May 2012, 21:56   #369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babhishek View Post
@samsag12

for a ups get a decent one. you dont need to spend 2k for a ups just for a router and modem
also, do you have large power outages or small outages and then generators kicking ala housing complexes?

edimax has decent routers within your budget, if you need wifi coverage upto 1200-1500 square feet

Thanks for replying, i think i confused you a little here, 2K is the budget for the router and not a UPS, i have a spare APC UPS so no issues there.

Regarding the power outages, its a small one lasting only a couple of seconds, (no apartment complex thing). The connection is through a Inverter.

Will surely consider the brands you mentioned, hope i find a suitable one within my budget & yes the coverage will be around 1500 Sq ft although more is always welcome.
BTW will there be any compatibility issues with the Modem and proposed router? I have the user id and password of bband A/c with me. I think that info will suffice.

Last edited by samsag12 : 22nd May 2012 at 22:00.
Old 29th May 2012, 10:33   #370
Senior - BHPian

My broadband connection requires me to authenticate via web to activate the internet.

Is there anything specific I need to look for in a router before I buy it for the above condtion?
Old 30th May 2012, 00:00   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@samsag12

Abhishek i went with one of your suggested Routers, bought a Asus RT N-12 and must say its a very good one, the installation was super fast, coverage area is vast and it even looks good. Thanks a lot for helping me in choosing one of the best.
I am surprised as to how well its design blends with my Truss pattern texture Vaio, have a look.
Attached Thumbnails
On Wi-Fi & Routers-29052012027.jpg  

On Wi-Fi & Routers-29052012029.jpg  

Old 30th May 2012, 09:52   #372
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, quick question: I currently have a Netgear wireless B/G router connected to my ancient 5 year old Beetel modem (BX220 supplied by Airtel FOC).

I have upto 5 devices connected to it at most times including 2 laptops, 3 smartphones and and an iPad occasionally. Actual wireless speeds are reasonably good (DL: 2 mpbs; UL: .7 mbps) but am left wondering if it makes sense to upgrade to a basic Wireless-N router.

Given that all my devices are wireless-B/G compatible only, will it really make a difference to the practical throughput speed if the router is wireless N? I simultaneously use a HD webcam + VPN + screen sharing + proprietary applications and any actual speed upgrade would be great!
Old 30th May 2012, 10:06   #373
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@akshay1234 :asus rt n 16 would be my choice....
Picked up a nether n900. Hopefully it will have good enough range. Am getting a home theatre etc soon, want to be able to access my computer or another hard drive from, say, my iPad and choose what to play from my downloads, on the home theatre in the other room. Am I better of buying the apple airport extreme?
Old 30th May 2012, 11:29   #374
Senior - BHPian

Picked up the basic Belkin N150 router yesterday. Since my house is pretty much a matchbox I get excellent connectivity throughout the house.

Since I live on the topfloor of my house I expected it to have connectivity on the roof as well. But sadly I have poor/no connectivity even when I stand right above the router on the roof.

Range for the router limited by the number of walls?

Anyways to improve it?
Old 30th May 2012, 13:53   #375
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Guys, quick question ... Given that all my devices are wireless-B/G compatible only, will it really make a difference to the practical throughput speed if the router is wireless N?
Quick answer

If your devices are not 'n,' then I don't think the upgrade makes any sense at all. Save your money

If and when you have 'n' devices to attach, then it will make a big difference

Most Viewed