Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2012, 16:33   #391
Senior - BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
Mav2000, does ASUS RTN16 has USB port for connecting external HDD. If yes have u tried it for sharing or streaming video? It shall be great help. I m also looking for wifi router with USB port, upto 3-4000 price. I do not have LCD tv yet, but it is coming in 6 months.
You can also look at TP Links MR3220 or 3440 (150 & 300 Mbps resp. N-Wifi routers), costs around 1700-2000 and works with most USB Internet Dongles. Have read reviews and works good with OTA HD broadcasts for Streaming videos for your TV.
Old 4th July 2012, 20:30   #392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
You can also look at TP Links MR3220 or 3440 (150 & 300 Mbps resp. N-Wifi routers), costs around 1700-2000 and works with most USB Internet Dongles. Have read reviews and works good with OTA HD broadcasts for Streaming videos for your TV.
The price is good and thanks for the info but i shall stick to Netgear, ASUS or Dlink. Nothing against TPLink or other brands.
Old 4th July 2012, 20:53   #393
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel
The price is good and thanks for the info but i shall stick to Netgear, ASUS or Dlink. Nothing against TPLink or other brands.
D Link is excellent. As per my experience. Am not an expert, merely a consumer of the data service.
Old 6th July 2012, 01:45   #394
BHPian

Hey! I have a basic Bsnl router connected to an airport extreme base station. Now the problem is that the wifi signal strength is too weak in my bedroom. how can I extend/boost the signal?
Old 6th July 2012, 09:14   #395
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi.m View Post
Hey! I have a basic Bsnl router connected to an airport extreme base station. Now the problem is that the wifi signal strength is too weak in my bedroom. how can I extend/boost the signal?
Buy an airport express and set it up as a repeater through airport utility. Also place it somewhere between the extreme and your bedroom.
Old 6th July 2012, 16:25   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
Yup, the USB port does support HDD's...have not tred streaming yet, but more downloading.
Old 6th July 2012, 19:38   #397
BHPian

Not sure if this is the right thread to post this, but going ahead for the general benefit of members.

Seems like there are still 300000 computers/routers still affected with the DNSchanger malware. Please check www.dcwg.org for information to find and fix the same. Affected computers will not be able to access the internet at all after 9 July 2012.
Old 6th July 2012, 21:19   #398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdriver2000 View Post
Not sure if this is the right thread to post this, but going ahead for the general benefit of members.

Seems like there are still 300000 computers/routers still affected with the DNSchanger malware. Please check www.dcwg.org for information to find and fix the same. Affected computers will not be able to access the internet at all after 9 July 2012.
Was looking for the right thread to post this here when I saw this message May be a new thread might have been more appropriate ?

DNSchanger shutdown may kick 300,000 offline on Monday ? The Register

300,000 may be an underestimate if their initial estimate of 4 million+ computers infected is anywhere close to reality. Since the installation of the "botnet" DNS servers would have allowed everyone infected to be able to connect to the net without even being aware that there was something wrong, it is extremely doubtful if more than 90% of the affected users would have fixed their systems.
Old 12th July 2012, 21:08   #399
BHPian

Hi friends,
I am getting a Cisco WRT120N Wi-Fi router
Linksys WRT120N
Cisco Linksys WRT120N Wireless-N Home Router | Router | Flipkart.com

Just wanted to know if it will work fine with a reliance Broadband connection?
help guys...

I am getting a deeal on a used one for 650/-
Old 19th July 2012, 08:07   #400
BHPian

I am currently using Photon+ planning to switch to BSNL Broadband. So i need to buy a broadband modem + router with wifi. Now i have some question since i am dont know anything about this.

1. What is the difference between ADSL & DSL? In speed, features, modem required etc.? Which connection will BSNL provide? Company Website shows ADSL but i have seen a DSL labeled light blinking on a friends Nokia Siemens Router Modem who is currently using BSNL.

2. My house is around 2200 sq. ft with 3 floors. I am planning to install the router in the main hall of 2nd floor so that both the floors above and below get good reception. Is it okay?

3. Connectivity Strength
This is one area my father will not compromise. He needs good range of Wi-Fi at 40 ft with 2 walls in-between.

4. It should have low heating because it will be ON for 20+ hours continuously.

Therefore, please suggest me a broadband router with a budget of 2k having the best Wi-Fi coverage and less heating. Only net facility is required. No NAS or any other frills necessary. I will be using 2 Mbps connection, so no issue even if 150N model. Thanks in Advance.

Regards,
Misbah Ahmed.

Last edited by searchingheaven : 19th July 2012 at 08:09.
Old 21st July 2012, 18:25   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingheaven View Post
I am currently using Photon+ planning to switch to BSNL Broadband. So i need to buy a broadband modem + router with wifi.
^^^^^^Any suggestions? I need to get it in 2 days.
Old 23rd July 2012, 00:01   #402
BHPian

Please find my answers inline

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingheaven View Post
1. What is the difference between ADSL & DSL? In speed, features, modem required etc.? Which connection will BSNL provide? Company Website shows ADSL but i have seen a DSL labeled light blinking on a friends Nokia Siemens Router Modem who is currently using BSNL.
ADSL(Asynchronous DSL) is a type of DSL where your upload speed will be different from download. No need to worry about the technology used. It is most likely ADSL2+. The modem will be provided by the BSNL. You can buy a router outside to connect to the modem.

2. My house is around 2200 sq. ft with 3 floors. I am planning to install the router in the main hall of 2nd floor so that both the floors above and below get good reception. Is it okay?
3. Connectivity Strength
This is one area my father will not compromise. He needs good range of Wi-Fi at 40 ft with 2 walls in-between.
4. It should have low heating because it will be ON for 20+ hours continuously.
The above setup should be fine. Everything is based on trial and error. If it does not suffice consider buying one more router as a repeater. I use a basic Linksys WRT54G and have been happily using it across 2 floors with router located in Ground Floor.I do not switch off. In fact I am planning to buy a small UPS for my router so that it does not have to reconnect when power goes off and back up kicks in.

Last edited by DWind : 23rd July 2012 at 00:04. Reason: rephrased my answers
Old 24th July 2012, 02:21   #403
Senior - BHPian

^^^BSNL is supposed to provide a CPE (modem-router). It does not make sense to get one from BSNL and other from the market. Also, why have 2 different boxes occupying space?

However, the BSNL exchanges here have not been getting any CPEs since ages now. The people at the exch. have no info on when they will get stocks if ever. Most likely you will not get it in your city too; in which case one would be forced to buy an ADSL modem-router from the market. Only advantage of getting it from BSNL is that they sell their stuff much cheaper than a Lynksys/D-link/Belkin or whatever you will get in the market.
Old 24th July 2012, 08:50   #404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^Most likely you will not get it in your city too; in which case one would be forced to buy an ADSL modem-router from the market.
Yes, as you said, they do not have stocks, so i have to buy it from outside. So suggest me the one having best range and least connection drops within 2.2k.
Old 24th July 2012, 22:07   #405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^BSNL is supposed to provide a CPE (modem-router). It does not make sense to get one from BSNL and other from the market. Also, why have 2 different boxes occupying space?
I was suggesting getting a modem from BSNL (free / part of Service) and buying only the router from outside. This way

1. This router can still be used when you change Service provider who provide Data through other options like FTTH, FTTC or even Cable.
2. The router can also be used as repeater if you buy another fancy router later. Instructions here

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks