Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2012, 17:06   #301
Senior - BHPian

Re: Wi-Fi router for ACT Broadband

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I don't think a normal wifi router would work in your case.

How would you connect the uplink of the router to the optical link received from the ISP ?

Rohan
But aren't they all RJ45 ports? I am thinking - connect the incoming fiber cable (from the ISP) which terminates in an RJ45 into the back of the router. Then connect wirelessly or with ethernet cables to other devices. Would this work?
Old 12th March 2012, 17:21   #302
Senior - BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
I have an ACT broadband connection - where the fiber optic cable is directly connected to the ethernet port on my desktop at home. There is no intervening modem at my home. So, when I switch on my desktop, I have to open up the ACT portal page and then manually log in.
Any WiFi router would work in your case.

Just connect ethernet wire from Optical link to WiFi router's WAN/Internet port.

After that, you need lo login to ACT Portal page from any one device (laptop/desktop) and others would start working normally.

If things dont work, you might have to select "Clone MAC Address" or "Custom MAC address" option in WiFi router so that to ACT, modem appears as your desktop PC.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 17:59   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post

Just connect ethernet wire from Optical link to WiFi router's WAN/Internet port.

After that, you need lo login to ACT Portal page from any one device (laptop/desktop) and others would start working normally.

If things dont work, you might have to select "Clone MAC Address" or "Custom MAC address" option in WiFi router so that to ACT, modem appears as your desktop PC.
Thanks for the clarification - NetfreakBombay.

So, I connect the ethernet link from the ISP to the router's internet port and then start using as usual after logging in.

I am hoping there are no issues - will keep you guys posted.
Old 12th March 2012, 23:41   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't think a normal wifi router would work in your case.

How would you connect the uplink of the router to the optical link received from the ISP ?

Rohan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post

Thanks guys - went ahead and bought a Netgear WiFi router - WGR614. Works perfectly fine. No issues at all.
Old 13th March 2012, 09:44   #305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But aren't they all RJ45 ports? I am thinking - connect the incoming fiber cable (from the ISP) which terminates in an RJ45 into the back of the router. Then connect wirelessly or with ethernet cables to other devices. Would this work?
I am confused. RJ45 is an electrical port, not optical.

What exactly is this fiber cable that you are referring to ?

Rohan
Old 13th March 2012, 10:15   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys - went ahead and bought a Netgear WiFi router - WGR614. Works perfectly fine. No issues at all.
How much did it cost you? Did any comparison before zeroing on this one?
Old 13th March 2012, 10:42   #307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am confused. RJ45 is an electrical port, not optical.
Fiber also uses RJ45 for termination at user premises. There would a Optical to Ethernet termination done for a group of 50 -60 consumers but it is not visible to consumers.

For users, Fiber is just like net connection from Cablewalla. They get a LAN connection.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 12:01   #308
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking for a wireless device so that I can hook up my mobile, tablet et al to my existing broadband connection.

Now, my quandry is this - I have an ACT broadband connection - where the fiber optic cable is directly connected to the ethernet port on my desktop at home. There is no intervening modem at my home. So, when I switch on my desktop, I have to open up the ACT portal page and then manually log in. Once that is successful, I am connected to the internet.

Now my question is this - can I use a "normal" Wi-Fi router like the Netgear Wireless-N 150 Router? The dealer is also not too sure of what router I can use. I am only asking this since some people say I will need a modem too. But IIRC, the modem is used to connect the phone line or ADSL line to the machine. But there is surely a device already doing this for my ACT broadband connection - I get an ip address etc when I login to their portal. So isn't just a Wi-Fi router enough?

Any ideas?
As per ACT website they use FTTH connection. So their Fiber optic cable should be terminated on an Optical Network Terminal (ONT - converts Light Signal to Electrical) at your home. I am sure you can connect your Router to this. Also, check with them on the authentication methods. You can probably have this authentication done in the Router itself so that you do not need to connect and then authenticate each time you want to use the Internet.

I use BSNL, FTTH and use this above method to connect.
Old 13th March 2012, 12:45   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
How much did it cost you? Did any comparison before zeroing on this one?
Oh, no comparisions - bought this one for my folks back home and it was stable and could even provide strong signals between a wall or 2 - so settled for this one itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
As per ACT website they use FTTH connection. So their Fiber optic cable should be terminated on an Optical Network Terminal (ONT - converts Light Signal to Electrical) at your home. I am sure you can connect your Router to this. Also, check with them on the authentication methods. You can probably have this authentication done in the Router itself so that you do not need to connect and then authenticate each time you want to use the Internet.

I use BSNL, FTTH and use this above method to connect.
Yup - thanks. When I connected the router, no issues at all. Another thing is that I can switch on only the router, go ahead with authentication for ACT broadband and start using the net on my mobile or tab. Perfect.

I was doing some research on the net for the authentication - but other than PPPoE, I could not get any other solution. How are you doing the authentication on the router? Perhaps I can try it with my ISP too.

Thanks to rohan_iitr, NetfreakBombay and DWind for your help!
Old 13th March 2012, 13:03   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Oh, no comparisions - bought this one for my folks back home and it was stable and could even provide strong signals between a wall or 2 - so settled for this one itself.
Great even i want a simple one. How much did it cost you?
Old 13th March 2012, 14:58   #311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
Great even i want a simple one. How much did it cost you?
I got it for Rs.1300/-. Thought it was a good price considering that flipkart sells it for more and another brick-n-mortar store here was slightly higher.

I'd say its a great router for the price.
Old 18th March 2012, 23:14   #312
BHPian

I am looking for wifi router signal booster. Let me tell the requirement. I have two houses one in ground floor and another in 3rd floor in adjacent row. One option is to have two connection or using my existing connection with some signal booster. Do we have such tools in market?
Old 19th March 2012, 11:13   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
I am looking for wifi router signal booster. Let me tell the requirement. I have two houses one in ground floor and another in 3rd floor in adjacent row. One option is to have two connection or using my existing connection with some signal booster. Do we have such tools in market?
Where is your primary connection setup? In the ground floor house or in the second floor house? Will need more details before anything can be recommended.
Old 19th March 2012, 16:00   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Where is your primary connection setup? In the ground floor house or in the second floor house? Will need more details before anything can be recommended.
Ground Floor, as existing setup is there only.
Old 19th March 2012, 16:43   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
Ground Floor, as existing setup is there only.
On the 3rd floor do you get even a little bit of the 1st floor wireless signal? If you do then you may be able to use a range extender. If you cannot then you need a signal booster, but I am not sure if it will boost the signal enough for it to reach the 3rd floor.

What is the approximate distance between the two houses?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks