Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2012, 16:41   #526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil

The coverage area - is it for the router I asked for or for the one you suggested?

Also once I get a router do I just plug in and start using? Or is there some installation required?
Any router costing around 1500-3000 rs these days gives this much coverage approx.they do differ in the speed they would offer in coverage extremities but marginally.the tp link model and the netgear n150 are almost similar.

If you buy only wifi router it would be plug and play although you will have to do some minor configuration for the modem-wifi combo.
Old 12th November 2012, 18:12   #527
Distinguished - BHPian

If one is using BSNL connection and wants a wifi then its recommended that you switch over to to wifi modem router instead of just a modem.

Reason- You Will get two in one package. You Will have less clutter. Looks elegant too

Belkin and netgear are the recommended ones .

I am using Belkin n150 basic wifi modem router with my BSNL connection after retiring the original regular modem router. Costs around 2500 bucks and can cover an area of 1500 square feet if placed at around 7 feet height in living room
Old 13th November 2012, 11:17   #528
BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
Any router costing around 1500-3000 rs these days gives this much coverage approx.they do differ in the speed they would offer in coverage extremities but marginally.the tp link model and the netgear n150 are almost similar.

If you buy only wifi router it would be plug and play although you will have to do some minor configuration for the modem-wifi combo.
Thanks a lot for your replies! One more thing: How do I make the WiFi passowrd protected? I mean I buy a WiFi only router - directly plug it into the MTNL modem and use the PS3 on it? At which step do I set up a password etc so that only my family can use it?
Old 13th November 2012, 11:24   #529

I dont know if this is supposed to be here, but since i cant find any active MTNL thread as-well..hence posting here
I am facing problem since months.. i have no Internet around (6:00PM to 7:00 AM )..Some times the adsl light is stable some times its not ..No matter what.
Im having the unlimited 749 plan!!

I have decided to terminate the connection ..as i got fed-up..
Any body else facing this problem ??

ADSL Firmware Version FwVer:3.12.8.201_TC3086 HwVer:T14.F7_7.0

Line State: Showtime

Modulation G.DMT

Annex Mode:ANNEX_A

Downstream Upstream

SNR Margin:6.5 7.0 db

Line Attenuation:62.0 31.5 db

Data Rate:768 480 kbps

Attainable Rate:896 672 kbps

POWER:15.0 12.0 dbm

CRC: 13547 145

Please help me out
Old 13th November 2012, 11:37   #530
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks a lot for your replies! One more thing: How do I make the WiFi passowrd protected? I mean I buy a WiFi only router - directly plug it into the MTNL modem and use the PS3 on it? At which step do I set up a password etc so that only my family can use it?
Yes. When you install it you will have to open the router's administrative page, here you will set your network name and password. You'll be getting the guide along with the router you buy.
Whatever device you use, you'll have to first select your network followed by your password to use the network.
Old 13th November 2012, 12:35   #531

Before deciding upon which wifi router to buy, we need to understand the requirement.

What is the total coverage area we are looking at.

for a 2 BHK flat any wifi router will cover the area if placed centrally.
for a bunglow type you need to buy a very high range wifi router.

Next the speed consideration, obviously everybody will wish for the highest speed, but today the high speed 600mbps and above routers are priced very high.

if cordless phones are used at home ( not mobile ) which uses the frequency of 2.4ghz then you will need to buy the dual band wifi router, so that you can configure the the wifi network on the non-interfering frequency.

my suggestions

Netgear JNR3210 N300 : This is a single band router VFM. if the range is low, then the antena can be replaced with a 5dbi antena.

Netgear WNDR3700 N600 : Very high performance.

Nowadays we use internet on all devices, so investing in a good wifi router is a good idea.

Always connect fixed devices using the cable eg: Smart TV, PC, NAS box etc.

For wireless security use WPA2, better security than wep.

In the WAN (Internet ) DNS setting use the following DNS server 8.8.8.8. This is a public DNS server from google, this will enhance security as it would not point to phishing and blacklisted websites.
Old 13th November 2012, 17:36   #532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by allauddin View Post
if cordless phones are used at home ( not mobile ) which uses the frequency of 2.4ghz then you will need to buy the dual band wifi router, so that you can configure the the wifi network on the non-interfering frequency.
Hi there, Thanks for the useful post. I have a cordless phone and that will be very near to where I am planning to place the router (at about 10 ft). If I use a single band router you mean I will not get good speeds? I did not know this at all. Do products have written dual band over it? How do we identify it without looking at the manual?
Old 13th November 2012, 22:59   #533
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Hi there, Thanks for the useful post. I have a cordless phone and that will be very near to where I am planning to place the router (at about 10 ft). If I use a single band router you mean I will not get good speeds? I did not know this at all. Do products have written dual band over it? How do we identify it without looking at the manual?

If your cordless phone works at 2 ghz or whereabouts you may experience problems with Wifi. Operating microwave ovens also does that.
The router will advertise dual band 5ghz and 2.4ghz prominently and it will cost slightly more.

HTH
--R
Old 13th November 2012, 23:55   #534

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Do products have written dual band over it? How do we identify it without looking at the manual?
Yes

On all Dual Band router it will be written on the box.

Band 1 : 2.4 Ghz
Band 2 : 5 Ghz

If your cordless is 2.4 Ghz then for router you use 5 Ghz or vice a versa.
Old 14th November 2012, 11:25   #535
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Yes

On all Dual Band router it will be written on the box.

Band 1 : 2.4 Ghz
Band 2 : 5 Ghz

If your cordless is 2.4 Ghz then for router you use 5 Ghz or vice a versa.
Keep in mind that 5ghz has lesser range than 2.4 so at distant spots, 2.4 might be your only choice. In my smartphone I have preference for 2.4 over 5 with each having its own network SSID.

--R
Old 14th November 2012, 13:12   #536
BHPian

Quote:

Theoretically, you may have problems due to cordless but in real world the cordless phone won't cause much problems. It does cause attenuation but it hardly matters if you get a speed of 147 mbps against 150 mbps. Moreover i suppose your broadband speed would be around 2-4 mbps.

Similarly other wifi networks also cause interference as they are also working at the same frequency,but it can be done with as it is negligible in the scenario.

The more you dig , you will get confused, and may end up spending thrice.

If you intend to use it for the ps3 and one or two systems to access internet ,Then just go and buy a simple wifi router. It would be enough for you.

If you intend to do more with the router like media sharing, have a larger house and want 100% coverage then you should look at higher options.
My 2 cents.

Last edited by k2max6 : 14th November 2012 at 13:14.
Old 14th November 2012, 19:37   #537
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Before deciding upon which wifi router to buy, we need to understand the requirement.

What is the total coverage area we are looking at.

for a bunglow type you need to buy a very high range wifi router.

Next the speed consideration, obviously everybody will wish for the highest speed, but today the high speed 600mbps and above routers are priced very high.

my suggestions

Netgear JNR3210 N300 : This is a single band router VFM. if the range is low, then the antena can be replaced with a 5dbi antena.

Netgear WNDR3700 N600 : Very high performance.

Nowadays we use internet on all devices, so investing in a good wifi router is a good idea.

Always connect fixed devices using the cable eg: Smart TV, PC, NAS box etc.
Hey Allaudin,

I am facing similar issues; i have a large-ish apartment (approx 3000sq ft) and do not get coverage in the entire area. Currently, I have a standard router that comes with MTNL DSL connection. Which of the two that you have suggested is suitable for my purpose ? I intend to make a network at home, with printer on it as well as the phones and TV along with it. I can spend some money but would not want to unnecessarily splurge. Kindly advise...thanks !
Old 14th November 2012, 21:41   #538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK
Hey Allaudin,

I am facing similar issues; i have a large-ish apartment (approx 3000sq ft) and do not get coverage in the entire area.
I see the message is to allaudin, but I ll try and convey whatever little I learnt during setting up my router.

The dual band does not necessarily mean that you get more coverage. Its just an alternative frequency band that you can use as against the conventional 2.4ghz. The 2.4ghz band may be heavily used in case you happen to live in a nest amidst a concrete jungle where all inhabitants use the 2.4ghz band for their wireless needs. This is where the 5ghz has an advantage by offering an alternative path tp Internet access. But it must be understood that the 5ghz vand has its limitations too. The limitation is that the range of the 5ghz band is not as much as that of the 2.4ghz band. For example, if the router is placed in the living room, you may not be able to use the 5ghz band from a room that is 2 concrete walls away from the router.

So what I ve learnt is that you could use or replace with a higher gain antenna to widen the coverage range.

Im in a bit of a fix myself as I still have no clue how I can expand the wifi connectivity to the first floor of my house.
Old 14th November 2012, 23:08   #539
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
I see the message is to allaudin, but I ll try and convey whatever little I learnt during setting up my router.

For example, if the router is placed in the living room, you may not be able to use the 5ghz band from a room that is 2 concrete walls away from the router.

So what I ve learnt is that you could use or replace with a higher gain antenna to widen the coverage range.

Im in a bit of a fix myself as I still have no clue how I can expand the wifi connectivity to the first floor of my house.
Hey Memphes, thanks for your response ! That's exactly my problem; the router is currently in my room and i get coverage in the rooms that are separated by just one wall but there's none in the living room (2 walls away) which is a problem. For this I need a solution, any router that is powerful enough to penetrate through two walls I've been living with this for nearly 5 yrs but I want to have a network at home and this completely blows my idea of creating a wireless network
Old 14th November 2012, 23:28   #540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D

The dual band does not necessarily mean that you get more coverage. Its just an alternative frequency band that you can use as against the conventional 2.4ghz. The 2.4ghz band may be heavily used in case you happen to live in a nest amidst a concrete jungle where all inhabitants use the 2.4ghz band for their wireless needs. This is where the 5ghz has an advantage by offering an alternative path tp Internet access. But it must be understood that the 5ghz vand has its limitations too. The limitation is that the range of the 5ghz band is not as much as that of the 2.4ghz band. For example, if the router is placed in the living room, you may not be able to use the 5ghz band from a room that is 2 concrete walls away from the router.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK

Hey Memphes, thanks for your response ! That's exactly my problem; the router is currently in my room and i get coverage in the rooms that are separated by just one wall but there's none in the living room (2 walls away) which is a problem. For this I need a solution, any router that is powerful enough to penetrate through two walls I've been living with this for nearly 5 yrs but I want to have a network at home and this completely blows my idea of creating a wireless network
On a normal day my laptop detects over 10 wifi networks in the 2.4 GHz band but i have never faced problems. Even when i stream HD content to my television. I have streamed movies over 10 gb without any problems. As far as internet is concerned i have a 8 mbps line and get full speed. As i have pointed out earlier it is more of a theoretical problem.What else do you want!

Netgear WN2000RPT my friends is the solution to your problems.

I just got it recently for 2600 INR.

Its basically a range extender with four ethernet ports. I have a 2700 Sqft. apartment and the airtel wifi router placed in my drawing room.while in my bedroom i only used to get a single signal.
I have placed this device in my bedroom and voila , i am getting 100% signal strength with full speed connectivity. Whats the icing on the cake?
I use its ethernet ports to connect my airtel stb (for soon toon be launched vod) and my blu ray player.

All you have to do is place it in your existing network's extremities and you get a much powerful signal for the area farther.

Wn2000rpt has 8 internal antennas

Now i have full speed connectivity in every corner of my apartment.

A single wifi router that can give you this much coverage would cost over 9k. But still no assurance that it would penetrate all walls.Its better to install a wifi range extender with your existing wifi.

Last edited by k2max6 : 14th November 2012 at 23:38.

Most Viewed