Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2013, 14:04   #646
Team-BHP Support

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Yeah - that's what I am looking for.

I do agree. But I think for streaming media you may need a stronger network. For example a drive being accessed on the router and casted through the home network; a superior .1N network instead of .B/.G or a dual band router for example.
Old 7th September 2013, 14:06   #647
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I do agree. But I think for streaming media you may need a stronger network. For example a drive being accessed on the router and casted through the home network; a superior .1N network instead of .B/.G or a dual band router for example.
I don't understand. I am not looking to create a home network. I am not planning to have a media file server at home used by different comps at home. All I am looking for is to have a wifi router and have a laptop and a tablet use it for their Internet connectivity.

However, I still don't understand why any modem will not be able to handle media files.
Old 7th September 2013, 14:16   #648
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I don't understand. I am not looking to create a home network. I am not planning to have a media file server at home used by different comps at home. All I am looking for is to have a wifi router and have a laptop and a tablet use it for their Internet connectivity.
Then what you say is true. You can just use any router. Just need to confirm if your router can reach all parts of the house (has enough strength)

Quote:
However, I still don't understand why any modem will not be able to handle media files.
Why I meant it this way was, for example for streaming a full HD content the Wifi BW may/may-not be enough. You may want to check those aspects, in case you are looking at these direction. If not then yes this does not apply.
Old 7th September 2013, 14:25   #649
BANNED

Quote:
Then what you say is true. You can just use any router. Just need to confirm if your router can reach all parts of the house (has enough strength)
How do I figure out which router has how much strength - is this based on some parameter in technical specs?

Quote:
Why I meant it this way was, for example for streaming a full HD content the Wifi BW may/may-not be enough.
Is BW mentioned in technical specs of the router - I know very little about routers.
Old 7th September 2013, 14:32   #650
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How do I figure out which router has how much strength - is this based on some parameter in technical specs?
I myself dont know. Its difficult. May be as you said, you can try the one you have. Once in a corner of the house, if your signal is week, try changing the location of the modem/router. If not, you may need to for alternatives.
(basic but works. I also did the same way!)

Quote:
Is BW mentioned in technical specs of the router - I know very little about routers.
For Example look at this spec:

http://www.linksys.com/en-apac/products/gateways/X3500

It indicates a BW of 750MBps for wireless transfer.

Supprt for .N std of Wifi compared for .B .G makes a lot of difference.
And the other part is support for a MIMO antenna (Multiple Input/Output)
Old 7th September 2013, 15:10   #651
BHPian

Quote:
Why can the BSNL modem not do media? For a modem any file should be stream of bytes or is it different?
What has modem to do with media streaming? Modem connects you with internet not networking.
Quote:
Yeah - that's what I am looking for.
So usage requirements should be considered while choosing a wifi router/modem?
I meant simultaneously how many devices will connect this router, whether you need MAC filtering and do you need dual band or single band router? Plus there are many other questions also like number of years of warranty (Linksys notoriously provides only one year warranty).

Thank You.
Old 7th September 2013, 17:18   #652
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post
What has modem to do with media streaming? Modem connects you with internet not networking.
I asked because of this post - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post3230731

Quote:
I meant simultaneously how many devices will connect this router,
Mostly 2 devices at max - a laptop and a tablet.

Quote:

whether you need MAC filtering
I doubt it - I am not sure why I would need it? I assume this is a security feature, right?
Quote:

and do you need dual band or single band router?
again, what's the need for a dual band?

Quote:
Plus there are many other questions also like number of years of warranty (Linksys notoriously provides only one year warranty).
I see 900 & 1200 Rs wifi modems on flipkart

Are these good enough for me?
http://www.flipkart.com/netgear-wire...md6354qsufyzwf

http://www.flipkart.com/d-link-dir-6...mdbemyeh7t8rkt (what is a cloud router anyway)

http://www.flipkart.com/netgear-jnr1...mdekmq26udbjdt

My 5 year old Huwei model just about covered a 900 sq ft 2 BHK - but signals at the furthest corners weren't strong, I think. My current flat is 800 sq ft 2 BHK, I would like it cover the flat comfortably.
Old 8th September 2013, 00:15   #653
BHPian

Quote:
My 5 year old Huwei model just about covered a 900 sq ft 2 BHK - but signals at the furthest corners weren't strong, I think. My current flat is 800 sq ft 2 BHK, I would like it cover the flat comfortably.
Have a look at Asus RT N-13 (URL: http://www.flipkart.com/asus-rt-n13u...b-9ad4114e860a). It's an all-rounder and has a lot of positive reviews.
Old 8th September 2013, 07:54   #654
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion_blore View Post
Have a look at Asus RT N-13 (URL: http://www.flipkart.com/asus-rt-n13u...b-9ad4114e860a). It's an all-rounder and has a lot of positive reviews.
I don't need an allrounder - all I need is one which acts as Modem + Wifi router and serves 2 rooms.
Old 15th September 2013, 20:32   #655
BHPian

Settled on the TP-Link WDR4300 after reading a lot of reviews. Snapdeal - Rs. 5,850.
Old 16th September 2013, 18:47   #656
Senior - BHPian

Guys, want some advise.

I watch Netflix on both my computer and by connecting an ethernet cable from the router to my Bluray player - which has a Netflix app and I can play it from there.

Now, the problem is that it streams without any problems on the computer. When I enable HD, it takes around 5 minutes to move to a HD stream - but it keeps playing in SD. But the problem is in the Bluray player. When I play (even the same movie) on the player, it plays it fine. But then it stops after 2 minutes, buffers. Then plays. Then buffers. I actually didn't have this problem when I watched the first HD movie on Netflix. It played it then without any problems!

Could it be a problem with the router? It is a Netgear WiFi router - WGR614. The problem surely isn't with my internet connection - ACT Broadband with a 15mbps line. No issues there.
Old 16th September 2013, 19:34   #657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Guys, want some advise.

I watch Netflix on both my computer and by connecting an ethernet cable from the router to my Bluray player - which has a Netflix app and I can play it from there.

Could it be a problem with the router? It is a Netgear WiFi router - WGR614. The problem surely isn't with my internet connection - ACT Broadband with a 15mbps line. No issues there.
Are you watching Netflix in India? If yes then how did you manage it on the Blu-ray player?
Old 16th September 2013, 19:40   #658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond_dawg View Post
Are you watching Netflix in India? If yes then how did you manage it on the Blu-ray player?
Ah, knew this question was coming. PM'ed you.
Old 16th September 2013, 19:44   #659
BHPian

Quote:
Ah, knew this question was coming. PM'ed you.
Haha well thank you!
Old 16th September 2013, 21:07   #660
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, want some advise.

Now, the problem is that it streams without any problems on the computer. When I enable HD, it takes around 5 minutes to move to a HD stream - but it keeps playing in SD. But the problem is in the Bluray player. When I play (even the same movie) on the player, it plays it fine. But then it stops after 2 minutes, buffers. Then plays. Then buffers. I actually didn't have this problem when I watched the first HD movie on Netflix. It played it then without any problems!

Probably the Ethernet is not a gig switch so transfer speed is suffering. You may need to go in to tweak qos. May or may not work. Next option is to buy a gig switch and install it before the router. Or get a wireless dongle for the blu ray

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks