Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2013, 22:07   #661
Senior - BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj1008 View Post
Probably the Ethernet is not a gig switch so transfer speed is suffering. You may need to go in to tweak qos. May or may not work. Next option is to buy a gig switch and install it before the router. Or get a wireless dongle for the blu ray
Thanks for the idea. Will check it out. Looks like I can tweak it to provide highest bandwidth for the player. Lets see how that works!
Old 16th September 2013, 22:52   #662
BHPian

If you talking about QoS tweaking then the problem is QoS works reliabling only on dedicated lines. It's kind of impossible to control bandwidth allocation on public Internet.

I am guessing you are using DNS routing for Netflix. Does the lag occur when you using another app like YouTube as well? It could be the DNS server.

However my first doubt would be the lack of gig port on Ethernet .
Old 17th September 2013, 08:29   #663
Senior - BHPian

I have wifi router in my drawing room which offers good speeds. However, when I take my phone/laptop to the bedroom inside, the speed suffers. What should I do to get sufficient speeds in the bedroom as well? Am a complete Noob in this area. Should I buy a second router? Is there a booster or something which is available?
Old 17th September 2013, 12:16   #664
BANNED

Is zyxel a good brand for Wifi routers? Airtel is providing a zyxel Wifi router for Rs. 1500
Old 19th September 2013, 09:23   #665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Probably the Ethernet is not a gig switch so transfer speed is suffering. You may need to go in to tweak qos. May or may not work. Next option is to buy a gig switch and install it before the router. Or get a wireless dongle for the blu ray
Aw, the tweaking of qos didn't work. Maybe I am doing something wrong or it just isn't working. Do you mean a Gigabit switch? The wireless dongle is proprietary for Sony - and an outrageous price at that!
Old 19th September 2013, 17:12   #666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Aw, the tweaking of qos didn't work. Maybe I am doing something wrong or it just isn't working. Do you mean a Gigabit switch? The wireless dongle is proprietary for Sony - and an outrageous price at that!
Yes a gig switch or use a acces point instead of dongle.

I would first verify if the DNS routing server is causing the slow down
Old 23rd September 2013, 16:10   #667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes a gig switch or use a acces point instead of dongle.

Don't think the DNS is the issue. It is being used by many other people without issues and moreover, Netflix streams fine when using the comp. In fact, I see that it streams without any problems in HD during the mornings. But at night IST, it starts buffering. Maybe cause people in the US just start using the Netflix service? I'll check in the computer tonight to see if the buffering issue persists there.
Old 23rd September 2013, 18:52   #668
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That is a bit of a confusion. DNS does not route.

DNS translates URLs like www-dot-team-bhp-dot-com into IP addreses like 96.30.20.23. Only when your system has that number can it actually send packets to the address or service you want. This, in any one session, happens the first time you do it, and your browser and/or system remembers it thereafter.

A slow DNS service can affect initial page opening experience, but not much else.

I've known a lot of people say that they changed their DNS service, and everything speeded up. Mostly, that is go-faster-stripes psychological.

None the less, it does no harm to have the best DNS service you can, and Namebench will help you to find it. It will also tell you which servers "hijack" your requests doing stuff like serving up their own ad pages when a URL cannot be translated, instead of simply returning an error

If anyone has doubts about, or even interest in, DNS, run namebench. You do not have to accept its recommendations.
Old 18th October 2013, 02:30   #669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
I have wifi router in my drawing room which offers good speeds. However, when I take my phone/laptop to the bedroom inside, the speed suffers. What should I do to get sufficient speeds in the bedroom as well? Am a complete Noob in this area. Should I buy a second router? Is there a booster or something which is available?
If possible change the antenna positions on the router & see if the reception improves in your bedroom. Also, if the router itself can be moved to a better position (away from large metal surfaces etc) or closer.
Also, your router settings can be changed to select other wifi channels if interference from say a neighbours wifi is causing issue in your bedroom.

Otherwise, yes there are dedicated wireless extenders available which can extend the range of the wifi signal. Many routers too now have a mode to operate as a wireless extender to an existing wifi network.
Which router are you using? Which is the wifi network in your place a/b/g/n/ac?
Old 18th October 2013, 09:58   #670
BHPian

I have N300 Dlink router. Recently bought. Though it is placed in a position where all 3 rooms are in a line of sight, still the signal weakens in the rooms that are about 20 feet from the router. I am contemplating getting a repeater. I am looking for a cheap solution. The Dlink repeater is costing 1750 Rs. Are there any cheaper options? How good are repeaters? Any other way of extending the WiFi range. Please guide.
Old 18th October 2013, 10:25   #671
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
I have N300 Dlink router. Recently bought. Though it is placed in a position where all 3 rooms are in a line of sight, still the signal weakens in the rooms that are about 20 feet from the router. I am contemplating getting a repeater. I am looking for a cheap solution. The Dlink repeater is costing 1750 Rs. Are there any cheaper options? How good are repeaters? Any other way of extending the WiFi range. Please guide.
20 percent signal drop per wall should be what your looking at.

TP-Link TL-WR702N 150Mbps Wireless Nano Router is the cheapest but the range will be limited to a room.other options are a used router that supports dd wrt.Ideally connect the repeater via a wired lan cable. wireless repeaters may need to be rebooted maybe even once a day, if your lucky and the connection is stable always then your lucky.using a wireless repeater can cause 50 percent total lan bandwidth drop at the repeater.i have 3 repeaters at home cisco, asus , tp link

Last edited by abishek2222 : 18th October 2013 at 10:29.
Old 18th October 2013, 17:14   #672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
As you go away from WiFi, the speed decreases. This is the "in-thing" of the wifi. It helps in reliability by sacrificing performance.

Also the walls play their part in blocking. If possible position the wifi-router such that there is no or little blockages in-between.
Old 18th October 2013, 21:55   #673
BHPian

Do have a look at the chart
Attached Thumbnails
On Wi-Fi & Routers-image3382481275.jpg  

Old 19th October 2013, 10:40   #674
Senior - BHPian

I'm facing a strange problem with my wifi router.

I have Airtel Broadband connection. They provided a Beetel modem+router. I am using this Beetel model+router in bypass mode.

To this Beetel modem I have connected my D-link wifi router (which does the authentication through username and password).

I have disabled SSID broadcast in my wifi router. wpa2 encryption is also enabled. I have saved network id and password in all my devices, hence they connect to the network automatically if the modem and router are switched on.

Both of these devices (modem and wifi router) are powered by AC adaptors, which are connected to AC mains through a spike suppressor (which I basically use as an extension box). This spike suppressor has an on/off switch. I use this on/off switch to power on/power off my home wifi network.

I have been using this setup without any problem for the last 2-3 years. But off late I am facing a strange problem. When I power on the spike suppressor, the modem and wifi router get switched on physically (I can see the LEDs blinking), but my devices (laptop/tablet/mobile) are not able to see the network and hence connect to it.

If I switch off and switch on the spike suppressor powering the modem and wifi router, then it starts working flawlessly. All my devices are able to connect to the home network as long as the modem and router remain powered on.

Sometimes I need to switch off/switch on the modem and router 2 or 3 times to get my devices connected to the network.

What could be the problem ?

Rohan
Old 20th October 2013, 14:29   #675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
Does your router have detachable antennas? Then you can just buy a high gain antenna such as:
http://www.amazon.com/antenna-Netgea.../dp/B005DCP280

Also try raising the height of your router, repositioning the antenna & keeping it away from other electronics & large metal surfaces for minor improvement. If there are other other wifi networks too, choose the channel with least interference.
But mainly the antennas should help, apart from a repeater.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks