Senior - BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
Tp link TD-W8961ND

It is300 Mbps .
has dual antenna for more range.

4 lan ports.

A WiFi router is something you'll buy once in 10 years. get something that won't go obsolete soon, or get one with a USB port for shared printing or shared Hard drive storage in future.

Go for something with more range as you'll roam around with your iPad and smartphone.
Thanks Dr Singh

My PC does not have WIFI. I was thinking of keeping the modem in my hall so as to have equal range to all the rooms. in that case, is there any USB based device which can make my PC also WIFI enabled ?
Old 1st May 2013, 13:49   #602
BANNED

Just got a Digisol DG-BR4015N. Any experience with this one.
Old 1st May 2013, 15:48   #603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Thanks Dr Singh

My PC does not have WIFI. I was thinking of keeping the modem in my hall so as to have equal range to all the rooms. in that case, is there any USB based device which can make my PC also WIFI enabled ?
http://www.flipkart.com/computers/ne...f-bd2a2eeb4116

Take your pick!

Here is a pick of routers with USB ports.

http://www.flipkart.com/computers/ne...a2&layout=grid

This D Link model is very popular with 2 antennas and a usb port.

http://www.flipkart.com/d-link-dsl-2...d-0904b409d42c

This is what i use.my main concern was range and two lan ports.

http://www.flipkart.com/d-link-dsl-2...d-0904b409d42c

Last edited by drsingh : 1st May 2013 at 15:55. Reason: routers
Old 10th May 2013, 19:46   #604
BHPian

Need to buy a Wifi Router+Modem. Have almost finalised D-Link DSL-2750U.

Primary use is to share internet with 2 mobiles & 1 laptop. House size is 1500 sq ft. and I intend to place it in one of the bedrooms. Wifi will be primarily used in Hall which is separated by a wall with the particular room. Does this Router have sufficient signal strength for my requirement?

Also can I watch movie on laptop or TV via this wifi router without lag? TV in question is P42X30D. Also by just adding a wifi adapter to TV is this possible?
Old 10th May 2013, 19:55   #605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearOn View Post
D-Link DSL-2750U.
Also can I watch movie on laptop or TV via this wifi router without lag? TV in question is P42X30D. Also by just adding a wifi adapter to TV is this possible?
This wouter will not work for streaming video to TV or for playing files from TV. For that you need a router with more powerful CPU and better radio.

It will work fine for sharing inernet across 2 - 3 devices, should not be any issue with wall.

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 10th May 2013 at 19:56.
Old 11th May 2013, 14:45   #606
Senior - BHPian

Ive got myself a Olive wifi router/modem. Its a slick device which can take inputs from a USB modem stick and converts it into wifi signals to support upto 20 devices. So I connected this Olive router with my Reliance 3g usb stick and 4 devices (2 smartphones, one laptop and one ipad) use the wifi very easily, the speed stays good and there is no dropping of signals.
I tested my device in a moving car, and upto speeds of 100kmph the youtube videos streamed on nicely without hitches, making the car a portable wifi hotspot.
Best thing about this device is, it charges off a USB port on any computer or a phone charger. Awesome buy
Old 11th May 2013, 14:59   #607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Its a slick device which can take inputs from a USB modem stick and converts it into wifi signals to support upto 20 devices.
Most Android phones can do that (become a Wifi hotspot and route traffic from laptops etc. to the public internet over GPRS/3G). This device has any other feature that these phones lack?
Old 12th May 2013, 20:33   #608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Most Android phones can do that (become a Wifi hotspot and route traffic from laptops etc. to the public internet over GPRS/3G). This device has any other feature that these phones lack?
Andriod hotspots on a phone wont connect to a data card. That is a big plus, using a phone you are using your 3g network, a datacard can have a much cheaper cdma network for data access alone.

That apart, I cant connect my Ipad to my Note2's hot spot. The Ipad recognizes the wifi network, connects but no data access. I believe its platform compatibility? not sure.
These niggles are finished with the Olive...
Old 12th May 2013, 20:40   #609
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ive got myself a Olive wifi router/modem. Its a slick device which can take inputs from a USB modem stick and converts it into wifi signals to support upto 20 devices. So I connected this Olive router with my Reliance 3g usb stick and 4 devices (2 smartphones, one laptop and one ipad) use the wifi very easily, the speed stays good and there is no dropping of signals.
I tested my device in a moving car, and upto speeds of 100kmph the Youtube videos streamed on nicely without hitches, making the car a portable wifi hotspot.
Best thing about this device is, it charges off a USB port on any computer or a phone charger. Awesome buy
Where did you get it from and what was the cost?
Old 12th May 2013, 22:19   #610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Andriod hotspots on a phone wont connect to a data card. That is a big plus, using a phone you are using your 3g network, a datacard can have a much cheaper cdma network for data access alone.
Ah OK. My datacard is a GSM one (Airtel), and the exact tariff plan is available on my Android mobile too (Airtel again). So I actually don't need the data card any longer and am planning to "retire" it, and maybe try 4G. Are CDMA data plans generally cheaper (I have 6GB for Rs. 750 pm on Airtel 3G)?.
Old 13th May 2013, 18:50   #611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Ah OK. My datacard is a GSM one (Airtel), and the exact tariff plan is available on my Android mobile too (Airtel again). So I actually don't need the data card any longer and am planning to "retire" it, and maybe try 4G. Are CDMA data plans generally cheaper (I have 6GB for Rs. 750 pm on Airtel 3G)?.
CMDA are generally cheaper. Example: MTS Datacard in Bangalore/Karnataka. 999 unlimited data surfing for 30 days. Now beat that .

And olive router is available in all Croma stores.
Old 13th May 2013, 19:43   #612
BHPian

Configuring D-link (DSL 2750U) ADSL modem with Tata Indicom broadband connection

Had a Zyxel modem for my Tata Indicom broadband connection. After 3 years of usage, it's giving up connection frequently.
Bought a D-link ADSL2 modem+router (model # DSL 2750U). Tried configuring it for last couple of days.
I tried with cables and it works just fine. Just couldnt get it up in WIFI mode.
The installation software CD is useless.

Has anybody done this configuration. Please help.
Old 16th May 2013, 18:02   #613
Team-BHP Support

Re: Configuring D-link (DSL 2750U) ADSL modem with Tata Indicom broadband connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheelz View Post
I tried with cables and it works just fine. Just couldnt get it up in WIFI mode.
Just to be clear : your LAN connection works, but wifi does not?

Do you see a wifi signal being broadcast from the router when you check using a wifi device? Please attach a screenshot of the "Wireless Settings" page on your modem/router.

If you've got the wired connection up and running, getting Wifi to work should be very easy.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th May 2013 at 18:48.
Old 16th May 2013, 20:11   #614
BANNED

Re: Configuring D-link (DSL 2750U) ADSL modem with Tata Indicom broadband connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheelz View Post
Had a Zyxel modem for my Tata Indicom broadband connection. After 3 years of usage, it's giving up connection frequently.
Bought a D-link ADSL2 modem+router (model # DSL 2750U). Tried configuring it for last couple of days.
The installation software CD is useless.

Has anybody done this configuration. Please help.
I have experienced a similar problem. In my case, it could be fixed by changing the wireless channel in the router settings. I suppose the default would be "Auto". Change to any value between 1-11 , save and reboot. Did the trick for me.
Old 28th May 2013, 21:52   #615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
I have experienced a similar problem. Did the trick for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Just to be clear : your LAN connection works, but wifi does not?
R
Thanks for the help. Got it working by spending almost a day and half and trying out all options available on the router. Not sure what clicked.
It's working fine now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks