Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2020, 16:38   #2101
Senior - BHPian

Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

quick question: i have a 2 router mesh setup at home with same ssid for both. should i have them on separate channels?
Old 30th November 2020, 17:17   #2102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
quick question: i have a 2 router mesh setup at home with same ssid for both. should i have them on separate channels?
Mesh system whole idea is not to have to worry about configuring SSID and channels. The system automatically does that for you. Which system is this? Make and model?
Old 30th November 2020, 17:25   #2103
Team-BHP Support

My almost 2 year old Netgear Orbi mesh system started acting up day before.

At night I turned off the satellite which I don't usually do and in the morning it refused to power on. Tried reset and all options but it was stuck with an amber light indicating it never came out of bootup.

Registered a complaint with Netgear and was given an RMA drop off location. They have issued a replacement online delivery and I need to drop off the faulty satellite at the drop off centre in Koramangla.

The Orbi system has a 3 year warranty.
Old 30th November 2020, 18:11   #2104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Mesh system whole idea is not to have to worry about configuring SSID and channels. The system automatically does that for you. Which system is this? Make and model?
Oh cool ok then. Less stuff to worry about.

Using two of these:
https://www.asus.com/Networking-IoT-...s/RT-AC59U-V2/
Old 5th December 2020, 20:05   #2105
BHPian

Hi folks,

Recently, I have upgraded my Airtel Broadband connection plan from 40 mbps to (upto 200 mbps).

I am able to connect mobile devices to 5GHz network & I'm getting speeds of upto 200 mbps.
However, I noticed that in my laptop and desktop computer, 5GHz network option is not showing up. The same shows up in MacBook and I am able to connect to & get good speeds.

Airtel guy says that the device (desktop computer, laptop) is not compatible to support 5GHz bandwidth.

I researched more on this & found that my desktop & laptop support only 2.4GHz bandwidth - 802.11n 802.11g 802.11b.

I also tried to update driver software of network adapter but its also updated.

Also, I could not find option "802.11n Mode" under Advanced under Wireless adapter properties.

So, I wanted to ask is there any workaround so that I can connect to 5GHz bandwidth.
Old 5th December 2020, 21:18   #2106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhupesh_2628 View Post
So, I wanted to ask is there any workaround so that I can connect to 5GHz bandwidth.
I have the same issue with my Desktop after upgrading from ACT to Airtel.

There are 2 solutions as far as I know:
1. Use an ethernet cable if possible. It should give you the full speed without needing to connect to wifi.
2. Use a USB wifi adapter what supports the 5Ghz frequency if you are unable to use a cable. You can disable the onboard wifi adapter and use the USB adapter to connect to the 5Ghz band.
JoeTheWanderer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 21:24   #2107
BHPian

Quote:

Were you able to ever connect laptop and desktop to 5 ghz earlier? If not then they never had 5ghz receiver. This is not a software feature.

If you really want it, then you can buy usb receiver for 5ghz band on amazon and plug them into your laptop/desktop.
shipnil is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 22:05   #2108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most routers support 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz together and you may configure your router to support both bands. So your old systems & IoT devices will connect to 2.4 and newer systems connect to 5Ghz. This is the zero-cost option.

Alternatively, as suggested above, you can buy a 5Ghz USB Wifi dongle. This will cost ~1K + one USB port on your system.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 22:39   #2109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheWanderer View Post
There are 2 solutions as far as I know:
Hi @JoeTheWanderer,
May I know which of the 2 solutions have you come up with to solve the issue. Or have you considered some other workaround.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Were you able to ever connect laptop and desktop to 5 ghz earlier?
you can buy usb receiver for 5ghz band on amazon and plug them into your laptop/desktop.
Hi @shipnil,
This is the first time I'm trying to connect to 5GHz bandwidth.
Regarding the USB receiver for 5GHz, are you aware of any model to go for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Alternatively, as suggested above, you can buy a 5Ghz USB Wifi dongle. This will cost ~1K + one USB port on your system.
Hi msdivy,
Do you know which 5Ghz USB Wifi dongle to go for? Like any specific model that you recommend.

Thank you all for your replies.
Old 5th December 2020, 23:03   #2110
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheWanderer View Post
1. Use an ethernet cable if possible. It should give you the full speed without needing to connect to wifi.
The ethernet solution too would not work. Remember he upgraded to 200 mbps plan. If his desktop/laptop don't have 5ghz receiver then in all probability the machines have 100 mbps ethernet ports only and not gigabit ones.
Old 6th December 2020, 11:05   #2111
BHPian

Quote:
The ethernet solution too would not work.
Hi @shipnil,
I just plugged in Ethernet cable onto my desktop machine & I'm able to get speeds of 200 mbps.
Old 7th December 2020, 11:56   #2112
BHPian

Quote:
The ethernet solution too would not work. Remember he upgraded to 200 mbps plan. If his desktop/laptop don't have 5ghz receiver then in all probability the machines have 100 mbps ethernet ports only and not gigabit ones.
You're right - I didn't realize that.

I guess the only consolation is that the ethernet cable may give marginally better speeds than the 2.4Ghz wifi connection.

Quote:
Hi @JoeTheWanderer,
May I know which of the 2 solutions have you come up with to solve the issue. Or have you considered some other workaround.
Actually, until recently I was using option number 3 (which I forgot to mention above). A WiFi PCIe card (this).

The only difference as far as I can see (as a layman) is that the USB adapter permanently occupies a USB slot on your machine. I couldn't afford to do that so I went with the PCIe solution. But this may or may not work depending on your motherboard's layout and the size of your graphics card.

For example, in my case I had to remove the wifi PCIe card as the new graphics card I installed ended up illegally occupying the space for the 1x PCIe slot. I've connected my backup internet connection (from ACT) to the desktop via ethernet now.
JoeTheWanderer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 12:58   #2113
BHPian

Quote:
Hi @shipnil,
I just plugged in Ethernet cable onto my desktop machine & I'm able to get speeds of 200 mbps.
. Looks like your desktop has gigabit ethernet port. Try and see if you are lucky with laptop too.
shipnil is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 16:31   #2114
BHPian

Guys,
I'm having a Airtel provided "777VR1" router which covers around 8 to 10 feet. We have placed the router in one part of living hall and hence not getting proper signal in bedrooms in the same floor. Hence, would require an extender. Please help in selecting good range extender or any other devices i need to purchase?

Thanks,
Ramki
Old 10th December 2020, 19:33   #2115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Guys,
I'm having a Airtel provided "777VR1" router which covers around 8 to 10 feet. We have placed the router in one part of living hall and hence not getting proper signal in bedrooms in the same floor. Hence, would require an extender. Please help in selecting good range extender or any other devices i need to purchase?

Thanks,
Ramki
I recently got a TPLINK RE200 and have TPLINK Archer A6 router. The dead zone I had is now addressed. Both being TPLINK I expected seemless installation, however I had to change channel number of my router for extender to extend 5Gz band. The extended also has a Ethernet out port incase you want more stable network.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks