Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2013, 14:36   #676
BHPian

Need a Modem+Router for Airtel Broadband

Howdy folks!

Any suggestions for a Modem+Router combo that can be used with Airtel broadband?

The modem provided by Airtel (Beetel 110TC1 ADSL2+) has crapped out and keeps switching off every now and then.
The tech support guy from Airtel checked it out and concluded that the power switch is faulty.
As of now, the modem runs by keeping the power button at the back firmly depressed using an elastic band.

Nevertheless, the WiFi router I have is an ancient Linksys WRT120N. It runs only 802.11g and does not have a particularly good range.
So wanted to replace the modem & router with a decent combo that provides minimum 802.11n on the 5Ghz spectrum.

Any recommendations? Budget is not much of an issue. Anything within 5k would be great though.
Let me know if you need any other data for making a suggestion. To answer some questions that you might have, here are the responses:

Will be used primarily for home networking.
2 Laptops, 2 mobile phones, 2 tablets & 1 desktop will be connecting over the network.
Will not be used for any kind of streaming activity to a TV/media device.
If possible, the modem+router combo will be configured as a stand alone download rig.
I copy plenty of data between laptops & desktops. So the device should provide good & stable speeds for wireless transfer.

Thanks in advance, fellas. Cheers!
Old 12th November 2013, 16:00   #677
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need a Modem+Router for Airtel Broadband

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Any suggestions for a Modem+Router combo that can be used with Airtel broadband?

The tech support guy from Airtel checked it out and concluded that the power switch is faulty.

the WiFi router I have is an ancient Linksys WRT120N. It runs only 802.11g and does not have a particularly good range.

Will be used primarily for home networking
First of all, if the Beetel modem is under 1 year warranty, then Airtel should replace it free of cost.

If only the power switch is faulty, just open up the modem using a screw driver and try to identify the fault. There chould be a loose contact where the power switch connects on the PCB, or the switch itself could be faulty. In case you are able to identify the problem, take it to a nearby repair shop (small roadside shops who repair mixers/fan/radio etc) and get it repaired. Or buy your own soldering iron and do it yourself (You have nothing to loose, you are planning to dump the modem anyway). Easiest approach would be to remove the power switch from the PCB completely and short the 2 terminals so that the modem is always on.

If you are not interested in this kind of DIY, just buy another ADSL modem (since you already have a wifi router) instead of spending money on modem+wifi router.

For home networking, wifi g router is sufficient both in terms of speed and coverage.

For your requirement, you would not see any noticeable difference even if you buy a wifi n router with dual band support.

Unless you have a very high speed uplink or using your home network for video streaming, you would be hard pressed to notice any improvement even after buying a new and expensive router.

For improving the range of wifi g router, try windsurfer antenna booster.

Rohan
Old 12th November 2013, 16:16   #678
Senior - BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Take a look at Netgear DGND3700.

Not too many features, but strong wireless and CPU / RAM to spare. Easily handels 5 - 10 devices withuot any stress. Comes handy while copying large files over WiFi.
Old 12th November 2013, 16:35   #679
BHPian

Re: Need a Modem+Router for Airtel Broadband

Quote:
Howdy folks!

The modem provided by Airtel (Beetel 110TC1 ADSL2+) has crapped out and keeps switching off every now and then.
As of now, the modem runs by keeping the power button at the back firmly depressed using an elastic band.

Nevertheless, the WiFi router I have is an ancient Linksys WRT120N. It runs only 802.11g and does not have a particularly good range.
So wanted to replace the modem & router with a decent combo that provides minimum 802.11n on the 5Ghz spectrum.

Any recommendations? Budget is not much of an issue. Anything within 5k would be great though.
Let me know if you need any other data for making a suggestion. To answer some questions that you might have, here are the responses:

Will be used primarily for home networking.
2 Laptops, 2 mobile phones, 2 tablets & 1 desktop will be connecting over the network.
Will not be used for any kind of streaming activity to a TV/media device.
If possible, the modem+router combo will be configured as a stand alone download rig.
I copy plenty of data between laptops & desktops. So the device should provide good & stable speeds for wireless transfer.

Thanks in advance, fellas. Cheers!
Airtel should replace the faulty router, if they dont, try
Asus DSL-N10E Wireless-N150 ADSL Modem Router

Pretty decent router offering great performance and security.
Old 12th November 2013, 16:36   #680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
First of all, if the Beetel modem is under 1 year warranty, then Airtel should replace it free of cost.

If you are not interested in this kind of DIY, just buy another ADSL modem (since you already have a wifi router) instead of spending money on modem+wifi router.

For home networking, wifi g router is sufficient both in terms of speed and coverage.

For your requirement, you would not see any noticeable difference even if you buy a wifi n router with dual band support.

Unless you have a very high speed uplink or using your home network for video streaming, you would be hard pressed to notice any improvement even after buying a new and expensive router.
Rohan, your suggestion makes a lot of sense. However, I'm not really a tinkering kinda guy.
Soldering stuff together with a soldering iron? I've got a better chance at going to outer space lol.
Oh, and the modem is 4 years old. So no chance of Airtel replacing the modem for free.
I had called them about this, and they want me to bring the modem to some shack somewhere in order to get a replacement.
I requested them a million times to send a replacement to my place, and I would bear the charges happily.
But no. They were adamant about bringing the modem to their center for some reason. Ugh!

But, I will consider getting a simple modem to suit the requirement for now. Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Take a look at Netgear DGND3700.

Not too many features, but strong wireless and CPU / RAM to spare. Easily handels 5 - 10 devices withuot any stress. Comes handy while copying large files over WiFi.
The router+modem you've suggested looks awesome! It looks like it will suit my requirements to a T.
However, it seems to be available for around 10k at the moment. Which is almost twice the budget I have at this time.
Will look into it perhaps when it's time to upgrade the TV to something better and implement some DLNA stuff

Thanks for the prompt response fellas! Much appreciated!

Last edited by sourav9385 : 12th November 2013 at 16:49.
Old 12th November 2013, 17:24   #681
Senior - BHPian

Any suggestions for a Modem+Router that works the best with BSNL broadband?

I have a beetle ADSL 2 modem+router that was purchased from Airtel back in 2007. My new home doesnt get coverage from Airtel and hence reluctantly I had to go for BSNL as I need a landline too. The problem is, though I have a 2MBPS plan, no matter what I use (Mobile, Ipad, laptop) it is always buffering. Speed check shows at the range of 1.68mps, however the range has gone from 450kbps to 1.68mbps and never beyond that. Complaints to BSNL about speed have always been resolved stating no issues found. Please suggest.
Old 12th November 2013, 17:43   #682
BHPian

Any suggestions for wifi repeaters. I have two floors, wifi works great on first and partly on second. Need advise on how to extend range, or something like wifi repeater solutions. I know apple has something like this.
Old 12th November 2013, 20:21   #683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The router+modem you've suggested looks awesome! It looks like it will suit my requirements to a T.
However, it seems to be available for around 10k at the moment. Which is almost twice the budget I have at this time.
Yes its expensive, online prices are 9k.

http://www.flipkart.com/netgear-dgnd...md4d3fghcfzzwu
Old 12th November 2013, 20:33   #684
BHPian

Help Required

Asus RTn66 router cannot connect to tplink modem in bridge mode at all

All the time gives CHAP error.

But, if connecting the same tplink modem in bridge mode to computer and then dialing out it works.

Tried with DLINK Modem as well but no joy /o\

Broadband BSNL.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++

D-link Setup Page
- Advanced Setup
- WAN
- Edit (I currently have a working pppoe service). VPI - 0. VCI - 35. Service Category "UBR without PCR". Enable QoS - unchecked.
- Next
- Connection Type - change from "PPPoE" to "Bridging"? Encapsulation mode "LLC/SNAP-Bridging"
- Next
- Enable Bridge Service - checked? Service Name "ISP" The service name is not important. It can be anything.
- Save & Reboot.

2. Setting Asus to dial PPPoE

Asus Setup Page Ensure that the modem cable is plugged into the WAN port of the asus router.
- WAN. Basic Config. Wan Connection Type. Change from "Automatic IP" to "PPPoE"?
- Account Setting. Enter ISP username and Password
- Apply
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++

Suggestions welcome what to do?
Old 12th November 2013, 20:50   #685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadjourno View Post
- Enable Bridge Service - checked? Service Name "ISP" The service name is not important. It can be anything.
Try

1. Service name as DataOne.
2. username as user@dataone

Did this setup for someone using BSNL (Incidently that was in Jabalapur too).
Old 12th November 2013, 21:12   #686
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Help Required

All the time gives CHAP error.

But, if connecting the same tplink modem in bridge mode to computer and then dialing out it works.
Router is not supposed to connect in "bridge" mode, but computer copnnects through it.
Old 12th November 2013, 21:15   #687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Router is not supposed to connect in "bridge" mode, but computer copnnects through it.
Ok what needs to be done in that case ?
Old 12th November 2013, 23:10   #688

I too have a double storied house and the D-Link router (Model No. DIR 615) works just fine. It is installed on the first floor and I get good connectivity on the ground floor as well as the terrace. The only place I have a problem is in the kitchen, which is farthest from the router and completely tiled up.
Old 13th November 2013, 13:49   #689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Suggestions welcome what to do?
Try the reverse. Configure modem for ppoe instead of bridge mode and configure router in AP mode.

If it still doesn't work, restore the factory settings in modem by pressing the reset button for 30 secs. Then try again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I think he means to say that modem is configured in bridge mode and router is configured for ppoe.

Rohan
Old 14th November 2013, 09:58   #690
BHPian

I currently have a Asus RT-N13U wifi router that has always been very moody when it came to the wireless aspect.

I am looking at getting a new wifi router that also has support for my unlocked USB 3G Data Card (Huawei E303C). the USB 3G is just my backup connection for which the company pays rent.

I plan to still use the current RT-N13U as a repeater in other room where the wifi signal drops off.

Is there any good recommendation within 3-4K ? stable wireless is a priority.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks