Old 17th February 2014, 16:26   #766
BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by murillo View Post
Dear members,
Help me choose a WiFi router.
murillo.
Both the routers have inbuilt 10/100Mbps 4 port switch which you can use to connect the pc to the router. If you plan to do some HD video streaming from your pc via the router into your smart tv it would be better to pick up a router with a gigabit switch instead. if it's just internet access either should be fine.

1.Totally up to you actually, both should work fine.Except you would save a few watts by a single adapter if you use a modem router combo.

2.No problems, simple plug and play.

3.Rj11 is just the port for the telephone line / modem input.
5.Does the wifi tab and the tv or any other things you plan to use work on the 5ghz band and support 802.11ac

6.If just the router you plan to get it should be fairly simple to configure just the wifi protected setup. if you plan to replace the modem to a modem/router combo. its would require a little more work including adding the correct isp settings username and password.may need help from airtel if you aren't too technically inclined.in case you get the airtel technician to configure it for you , you can software bridge the modem and the router.

7.Can't help you there. the cheapest would be to head over to Richie street / radio market.However i found of late its better to order from flipkart cheaper and saves the hassle of travelling.

The tp link modem router combo i actually have at home ,seems quite reliable and hasn't caused any problems,others may not agree. D link can't seem to find any reviews on the model can't comment on the same.802.11ac is better but do you have anything that currently uses 802.11ac? i think only the samsung s4 and nexus 5 are 11ac enabled.
Old 17th February 2014, 17:09   #767
Distinguished - BHPian

Wanted to improve on the 54mbs wifi that my ancient netgear router delivers to our laptop. After browsing some much more expensive stuff, I selected something that looked like a value-for money bargain...

TRENDnet N600 from Flipkart

It looks and feels quite flimsy, but it seems to do everything that is needed. It is giving 150mbs at the netgear g/n dongle on the laptop: don't know if this can be improved. Might try a dual-channel dongle, eg tp-link, just for fun, but it will do for now.

I don't think (according to my phone) that it is particularly powerful or long-range, but, given our mostly single-room requirement, it seems like the right amount of money to have spent to get the job done. So long as it lasts a few years... time will tell.

Set up was simple, only complicated by its default ip being on a 192.168.10 net, requiring changing the PC config to initially talk to it. No big deal, as long as the basics of tcp/ip are understood.
Old 17th February 2014, 17:58   #768
Lij
BHPian

Hi All,

Planning to buy the D-Link DSL-2750U Wireless N 300 Wi-Fi router with modem for my MTNL broadband connection.

Anyone here using it and can share their feedback on it?

Generally have found good reviews on this product.

Would like to know which type of antenna is shipped with it (2dBi or 5dBi one). I ask this since in one of the reviews a user said that Amazon ships the 5dBi one while Flipkart ships the 2dBi.

Here is the Amazon website link.

Thanks in advance.

Edit - got a few feedbacks from earlier posts, so more on the antennae types shipped would be greatl!!

Last edited by Lij : 17th February 2014 at 18:22. Reason: Need only partial info now
Old 18th February 2014, 07:05   #769
BHPian

I'd bought an ASUS WL-330N3G 6-in-1 Wireless-N Mobile Router which has been usefully configured for me by my nephew, to log into my StrongVPN account ( to watch Netflix). I bought it from Lulu Connect, Cochin but its also available on Amazon at 68 USD. Flipkart doesn't have it but the specs are posted there. If you're a person who's familiar with configuring router functions, do have a look, and even otherwise it is a handy piece to own. Function, portable, versatile.
Old 18th February 2014, 10:28   #770
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
I have the Belkin Wifi router connected to my Beam connection. I have placed it in my hall, 5ft from the floor. It does have an antenna which is pointed to the sides. I am getting very minimal to no signal in my bedroom, which is exactly backside to my router. Is there a way to increase the signal by means of some DIY antenna kind of stuff or should I purchase some repeaters.
Try this home-made wifi-extender. It really works, I have it for the last two years.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-Wi-Fi-Extender/
Old 18th February 2014, 11:23   #771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathish81 View Post
For your requirment you can go for either TPLink adsl cpe- which will eliminate the need for your existing modem provided by airtel or go for dlink router in which case you need to retain your existing modem. However my recomm would be to go for the second option (dlink)

The config should be pretty straightforward and you might be able to get it done in few mins
Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
Both the routers have inbuilt 10/100Mbps 4 port switch which you can use to connect the pc to the router.
Thanks Sathish and Abishek for your inputs.

Meanwhile, an update: I got a new D-Link DIR-605L router from my colleague who is not needing it. He said he bought it for Rs. 2,300/- from Reliance Digital.

Following the instruction manual, I was able to install it without any issue. This is a 2*5 dbi antenna, 300 mbps basic router with 1 WAN and 4 ethernet ports. The reveiws are not great for this product, but that it provides a stable and reliable signal. It also has cloud manageability.

I have paired my PC, smartphone, and smart tv to the wifi network now. I am able to use internet on my smartphone; use the Sony Entertainment Network and other apps like youtube on my tv; use youtubeTV on my mobile to stream on TV; as well as access my computer's photos/music/etc. on my tv.

So far DIR-605L is doing a fair job. The signal is stable and speed adequate for my usage. I have kept the router in my bedroom and connectivity at tv placed in my living room is good. However, I may have to buy a new router in future that has more features and speed, as I planning to throw a tab and console at it. Let me see how it goes.

D-Link DIR-605L is a no-frills router and will be adequate for normal home usage. For more device usage, more features, and higher specifications, one should look at other options.

murillo.
Old 20th February 2014, 08:23   #772
BHPian

DLINK DIR655 is good Gigabit router and most DLINK Routers provide a DNS so if you have a fixed IP line you can use Port forwarding to access you location remotely something like if you use a security surveillance camera setup and want to use a remote log in to view the camera images.

Belkin is also a stable product.

One of the best ( not in looks ) is the Netgear R7000 . It supports USB ports as well to support hosting printers or maybe even a storage device.

Price to performance the Netgear is probably one of the best- That's my personal opinion.

Cheers!
Old 22nd February 2014, 12:36   #773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi63 View Post
One of the best ( not in looks ) is the Netgear R7000 . It supports USB ports as well to support hosting printers or maybe even a storage device.

Price to performance the Netgear is probably one of the best- That's my personal opinion.
I am planning to purchase the Netgear Nighthawk R7000. Do you have any issues such as wireless drops etc? I am purchasing it mainly for coverage and high intranet speed. I am also considering the Apple Airport Extreme or the Asus RT-AC68.
Old 22nd February 2014, 13:10   #774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I am planning to purchase the Netgear Nighthawk R7000. Do you have any issues such as wireless drops etc? I am purchasing it mainly for coverage and high intranet speed. I am also considering the Apple Airport Extreme or the Asus RT-AC68.
We have used it at a few sites and no issues. Speeds - it has given us satisfactory performance.

We have used it at a few sites and no issues. Speeds it has given us satisfactory performance. I cannot comment on the Asus or the Airport Extreme, but in terms of performance for a home user or if you use it in an office environment then it has a few features which makes it by far the best value to money to performance product around in the market. From a office perspective you can use it with an USB Hard Drive and the speeds it provides for both reading and writing are very good.

Again this is my opinion and i dont claim to be an expert in Networking products! We have been satisfied with its performance!

Last edited by shashi63 : 22nd February 2014 at 13:30.
Old 24th February 2014, 18:13   #775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by murillo View Post
Dear members,

Help me choose a WiFi router.

I have Airtel wired broadband internet connection with 110BX1 ADSL2+ router given free long time back. Now I want to switch to WiFi.
If you would like to continue using your Airtel provided DSL modem, then just connect a wireless router to it. This is OK if:
1. Airtel is not charging you any rental for the DSL modem
2. You are OK with two devices consuming power or sockets in your switch board.

Else you will have to buy a router + modem - combined into one.
There is less choice for that and the cost is higher too for the same features. Plus if you want to install custom firmware, you are out of luck (in most cases). But I suppose that point is not applicable to you.

I have a TP link 1043ND (router only) which I had purchased for around Rs. 3600 last year. There was hardware issue and service center provided a replacement. I went for that since it offers gigabit ports where I have connected my smart TV and my network hard disk via ethernet/ LAN cable directly.
That router has three antennae and the range is OK for a 2 BHK with two walls in between.

Last edited by S_U_N : 24th February 2014 at 18:14.
Old 1st March 2014, 23:25   #776
BHPian

Hey guys, looking to get some router help. would appreciate if someone can guide me.

1: I have two routers namely D-link WBR 2310 and Netgear WNDR3400. The Netgear router is my main router. i was wondering if i can connect them wirelessly to join as one. basically i have a Yamaha Amplifier that accepts a Ethernet cable. problem is router is in the bedroom, so wanted to connect the second router to the amp.

2: My brother is looking for a router for his new house and was wondering which would provide the best range in a 2000 Sq. Ft home. he has selected the followling:
A: Netgear WNDR4500
B: Netgear R6100-100PAS
C: Apple Airport

Would appreciate suggestions and even better brand/models. Thank you

EDIT: Picking it up from the US. so open to more options

Last edited by Diamond_dawg : 1st March 2014 at 23:37.
Old 2nd March 2014, 00:27   #777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond_dawg View Post
Hey guys, looking to get some router help. would appreciate if someone can guide me.

1: I have two routers namely D-link WBR 2310 and Netgear WNDR3400. The Netgear router is my main router. i was wondering if i can connect them wirelessly to join as one. basically i have a Yamaha Amplifier that accepts a Ethernet cable. problem is router is in the bedroom, so wanted to connect the second router to the amp.
Not possible to connect them wirelessly. You will have to use a LAN cable to connect one to the another and establish a bridge connection in one of them. The primary router works as is, the second one is a bridge network. You can try using wifi range extenders (eg: http://www.flipkart.com/netgear-wn30...md6ffb7xwg49mv and the like) but they cause a drop in bandwidth (the techies may explain it better)

Quote:
2: My brother is looking for a router for his new house and was wondering which would provide the best range in a 2000 Sq. Ft home. he has selected the followling:

Would appreciate suggestions and even better brand/models. Thank you

EDIT: Picking it up from the US. so open to more options
N750 and above routers should serve your purpose well. Both the netgear routers appear good enough. Range becomes quite a subjective thing, I have an N300 router working fine in a 1500sqft house when located in the centre of house. R6100 has a higher bandwidth, though bandwidth is not a measure of the range of wifi signal. It supports the 802.11ac protocol too. No clue and no comments on the Apple product! In any case, go for a router that supports 802.11ac protocol (I am assuming you will be using HD streaming). Asus RT-AC68U AC1900 is one of the best routers, albeit a higher budget.

Last edited by akshay87kumar : 2nd March 2014 at 00:34.
Old 2nd March 2014, 09:29   #778
BHPian

Quote:
1: I have two routers namely D-link WBR 2310 and Netgear WNDR3400. The Netgear router is my main router. i was wondering if i can connect them wirelessly to join as one.

It is possible to wirelessly connect two routers if they are supported by the dd-wrt or tomato custom firmware. I have three such routers but you need to find a stable build.

I was on the lookout for a high power router myself for a 2500sq ft coverage. Short listed AirPort Extreme and netgear Nighthawk and ordered the nighthawk but cancelled it on amazon two nights ago. I have now set up two modems and two cheaper routers. I switch on the one where I am seated... May still end up purchasing the nighthawk. Read many positive and negative reviews, so confused.
Old 4th March 2014, 11:03   #779
BHPian

Quote:
My brother is looking for a router for his new house and was wondering which would provide the best range in a 2000 Sq.
The best thing to do if the building is still under construction is to lay a CAT6 cable from the primary router to where you want the secondary router located. If that's no longer feasible to do then the option is to get a wifi repeater as pointed out before you will loose half of the entire bandwidth which will not matter if you only want do simple net surfing, if you plan to stream and play large video files over the wifi from the primary router then a wifi repeater would be a bad idea.
Old 4th March 2014, 11:22   #780
BHPian

+1

If it's a new house and if the construction/interiors are still going on, irrespective of whether there's an immediate need, just make sure that you lay CAT6 cables throughout the house and get at least 2 points per room in strategic locations where you may have your devices or where you plan to have your desk/table to use your laptop. In the future more and more entertainment devices are having 'internet connectivity' features, so it makes sense to future proof your house.

Most Viewed