Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2009, 20:27   #16
BHPian

I use netgear WGR614. I also considered linksys wrt54. both are base models for these companies. netgear is cheaper and as efficient/powerful/reliable as linksys. I would definitely recommend it. I get "excellent" signal on ground floor and "good" signal on first floor. it is also sleeker than linksys.

@aka_iitd: it will definitely work with airtel

Last edited by Comrade : 26th August 2009 at 20:28.
Old 26th August 2009, 20:32   #17
Senior - BHPian

@Extreme- Am using a router by 'Buffalo'.
Its been 3+ years.
Not a single problem till date.
We have a 3 story house. My room is on ground floor. Till roof no problem in signals.
There is a park in front of my house and i had taken my laptop till its main gate and still get good signal from it.
2 other friends are using the same as we purchased them together. They had no probs as well.

Highly recommended. I chose it above netgear and Linksys as my cousin who is a good techie in US recommended it to me and he was damn rite!

Price was 2600 when i got it 3 years back from Nehru place. Guess now must had gone down.
Old 27th August 2009, 01:14   #18
BHPian

Torque. Agree with harry. +1 for buffalo.
And it will be super wifi router with tomato firmware.
These are the models that are compatible with Tomato.
Buffalo WHR-G54S, WHR-HP-G54, WZR-G54, WBR2-G54, WBR-G54, WZR-HP-G54, WZR-RS-G54, WZR-RS-G54HP, WVR-G54-NF, WHR2-A54-G54, WHR3-AG54
Old 27th August 2009, 01:20   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
That wont give me good range because of poor quality signal besides they are known to be very unreliable as far as connection quality is concerned.
My telco is MTNL
They do the job as decently well. You just need to call them and maybe give 2-3 days or a week's time. BTDT
Old 27th August 2009, 01:32   #20
BHPian

suggestion - whichever router you choose .. place it on the first floor to get good signals both on your terrace and ground floor. You can choose linksys/netgear just make sure you have detachable antenna, so if you face issues you might want to attach a high gain antenna or do some DIY (for eg. NetworkGarage.com: Extend your wireless range with a cantenna)
Old 27th August 2009, 12:37   #21
BHPian

In my current apartment, I am using a Linksys wireless router WRT54G2. I stay on the 2nd floor and I get strong wifi signals even on the ground floor. Very reliable and easy to set up.

When I was in India last month, I picked up a Belkin wifi router (F5D7234) for home. It cost me 1900 bucks. Placed it in the living room where I also have a BSNL telephone line with broadband connection. The living room is in the middle of the flat and with the router located here, I am able to access the wifi network from all the rooms in the house. The 2 extreme opposite accessible points of the house are roughly 20 - 25 meters apart and in both these locations, I could get coverage. I never thought that I'd get a Belkin router for this cheap. The same thing is priced higher here in Dubai.
Old 27th August 2009, 18:28   #22
Team-BHP Support

IF you do happen to get your hands on a WRT-54G, just make sure that it is NOT a version-7 router (v7 written on the bottom).
Those seem to be a really cheap and unreliable chipset and dont even support DD-WRT etc!

cya
R
Old 30th August 2009, 15:57   #23
BANNED

Almost all of the brands are good - Linksys/Belkin/Buffalo/Billion/Netgear/D-Link. Just buy which is within your budget and with the features needed.
Old 30th August 2009, 16:11   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
@Extreme- Am using a router by 'Buffalo'.
Its been 3+ years.
Not a single problem till date.
We have a 3 story house. My room is on ground floor. Till roof no problem in signals.
There is a park in front of my house and i had taken my laptop till its main gate and still get good signal from it.
2 other friends are using the same as we purchased them together. They had no probs as well.

Highly recommended. I chose it above netgear and Linksys as my cousin who is a good techie in US recommended it to me and he was damn rite!

Price was 2600 when i got it 3 years back from Nehru place. Guess now must had gone down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nisarg86 View Post
Torque. Agree with harry. +1 for buffalo.
And it will be super wifi router with tomato firmware.
These are the models that are compatible with Tomato.
Buffalo WHR-G54S, WHR-HP-G54, WZR-G54, WBR2-G54, WBR-G54, WZR-HP-G54, WZR-RS-G54, WZR-RS-G54HP, WVR-G54-NF, WHR2-A54-G54, WHR3-AG54
+1 for Buffalo. Due to reasons undisclosed, I did not go for Netgear and Linksys. I tried DLink, but it kept rebooting on heavy use (torrents, et all). Buffalo is rock stable, and has been on close to 24 hours per day on average (except for power cuts that drain the UPS, shifting residences, long out of town trips )
Old 30th August 2009, 17:53   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
+1 for Buffalo. Due to reasons undisclosed, I did not go for Netgear and Linksys. I tried DLink, but it kept rebooting on heavy use (torrents, et all). Buffalo is rock stable, and has been on close to 24 hours per day on average (except for power cuts that drain the UPS, shifting residences, long out of town trips )
I have been using Dlink (DIR300), and I havent found any problem with it till date. Came at a decent price tag of 1400 odd. Not a bad option at all IMHO.
Old 30th August 2009, 21:45   #26
Senior - BHPian

I purchased a Linksys WRT54G2-SG for 2200 Rs. It comes with two internal antenna's for good range and there are all embedded within the sleek looking body. So far so good... thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 8th October 2010, 11:18   #27
BHPian

I need to buy a Wifi Router with sharing the media content possibility like N+802.11 or
Belkin Wireless Play Router. I will be picking of this from Sp road. Can you please suggest good good router for home use.
Old 24th October 2010, 19:14   #28
Senior - BHPian

Guys, need some techie advice.

Due to my heavy P2P usage, my netgear router followed by the modem are as good as dead.
Both the devices overheat and drop connections which is really frustrating. I have to switch them off, let them cool down and restart them. Absolute PITA material.

I've decided to replace them with a single Wireless Modem cum router device.

My requirements are:
1. Stability - no dropped connections
2. Stablility
3. Stability

My current options:

a. Buffalo WBMR-G54 (Rs. 3100) : 2007 Stock. No warranty promised, apparently, distributor folded up.

b. Belkin F5D7634 (Rs.2500): My supplier is almost shoving this in my hand.

c. Any other modem+router that you guys suggest.

What would you guys recommend?
Old 24th October 2010, 20:47   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Due to my heavy P2P usage, my netgear router followed by the modem are as good as dead.
I never thought the lifetime of these devices was defined by the amount of data they handle! I am not technician, but I would have thought that it made no difference, except, perhaps, to the flashing bulbs, whether they were 100% busy or 100% idle during their hours of being powered up. Please correct if wrong!

Anyway, that has nothing to do with your current need. My favourite is D-Link, but others say that they have trouble with the power supplies. My router has been fine.

My instinct says that if you want something to give you years of heavy usage, you should increase the budget. Possibly double it, at least.
Old 24th October 2010, 20:50   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Guys, need some techie advice.

Both the devices overheat and drop connections which is really frustrating. I have to switch them off, let them cool down and restart them. Absolute PITA material.

I've decided to replace them with a single Wireless Modem cum router device.

My requirements are:
1. Stability - no dropped connections
2. Stablility
3. Stability

My current options:

a. Buffalo WBMR-G54 (Rs. 3100) : 2007 Stock. No warranty promised, apparently, distributor folded up.

b. Belkin F5D7634 (Rs.2500): My supplier is almost shoving this in my hand.

c. Any other modem+router that you guys suggest.

What would you guys recommend?
Is this a G router?
if yes,i got it a month back for 1500 bucks.
also i am not happy with its range,everything else is perfect.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks