Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2014, 21:16   #856
Senior - BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post
Tip: Setup your wifi network as a hidden network so that way only your devices will be able to see the network.
Hidden networks aren't really hidden at all; all devices can "see" them.

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/how-to-d...eless-network/
Old 1st August 2014, 21:50   #857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Anyone with experience of either of these two devices?

1. SafeStream Wireless N Gigabit Broadband VPN Router TL-ER604W - http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/d...odel=TL-ER604W

2. Wireless Services Router w/ WAN Failover DSR-500N - http://www.dlink.com/us/en/business-...ervices-router

I am evaluating these, and they have all the features I need - multiple WAN ports, Wifi, IPSec. I would like to hear a few recommendations. For example, I read in one review that the TL-ER604W has a power supply that emits a high-pitched noise - which if true, completely rules it out.
@binand, did you test any one of these ? How are they ?
Old 1st August 2014, 22:43   #858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
@binand, did you test any one of these ? How are they ?
Can't test. I asked my office IT supplier. He said that the D-Link one is EOL but he can source the TP-Link one for me. I have ordered one but it is not available in Bangalore and they have to get it from Mumbai, where the rains has caused some delay in stock movements. I will get it only in 3rd week of August looks like.

I read through all the reviews in Amazon and even asked a question, all have only nice things to say about it (the TP-Link one).

I did not approach the resellers for Bangalore listed on TP-Link's website.
Old 1st August 2014, 22:56   #859
BHPian

Quote:
Can't test. I asked my office IT supplier. He said that the D-Link one is EOL but he can source the TP-Link one for me. I have ordered one but it is not available in Bangalore and they have to get it from Mumbai, where the rains has caused some delay in stock movements. I will get it only in 3rd week of August looks like.

I read through all the reviews in Amazon and even asked a question, all have only nice things to say about it (the TP-Link one).

I did not approach the resellers for Bangalore listed on TP-Link's website.

Any idea what was the cost ? I might also plan to go for this router mainly for VPN
Old 2nd August 2014, 07:48   #860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
Any idea what was the cost ? I might also plan to go for this router mainly for VPN
For me the IPSec VPN and dual WAN links are the primary reasons - I currently have a complicated setup where the VPN endpoint is an old laptop running Linux. Switching between my two home ISPs (with vastly different configurations) is quite a pain, especially when I'm not at home and the wife has to do it.

The price my office vendor has quoted me for the TL-ER604W is Rs. 8900. Pricedekho.com has it at Rs. 10500 but no vendors. Amazon US is selling it for $100. You can visit tp-link.in, look for your local resellers and ask for a price quote.
Old 2nd August 2014, 08:58   #861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_Safari View Post
This did not fix the problem. What else can be done. Any suggestions?

Have you noticed which device causes your connection to drop? Can you borrow a friends wifi to try?
Old 2nd August 2014, 09:20   #862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil_pon View Post
I use BELKIN wifi device, it works fine but wen the electricity is on UPS it stops working.
the internet provider is BSNL and they have no idea why this issue appears. Even the landline is working fine when there is power shutdown.
I am thinking of using some USB based internet device to overcome this issue but not sure which provider is good and this is remote area (Coorg). Any idea folks which service provider might be better?
Are other BSNL customers in your neighbourhood facing the same problem? Sounds like some device in the last mile is not on UPS. If there are others, then possibly at the exchange, else within your home. Does your modem manage the DSL synchronization during power failures (your DSL modem's status screen will show this)?

As for datacard service - check how good the mobile signal is. Check with your Android phone and the Speedtest app to see how good the bandwidth is. There is another app that I use called "Ping and DNS" in the Play Store for latency tests. You need minimum 3G for usable Internet access these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
I have Dlink DSL 2750U Wireless Modem router for my BSNL Broadband connection.Kept it in I floor and get good signal in Ground floor.
However lately net is intermittently on/off though WiFi and Landline are ok. Tried the usual troubleshooting steps but no use. ISP BSNL is unable to solve.
Please let me know If this issue is already discussed in any other thread
Thanks
This happened to me too - I eventually traced it to another resident in my building deploying a Wifi AP in the same channel as mine. I switched to a different channel and now everything is hunky-dory. The first step is to check your connection quality without the Wifi in the path - by directly connecting your computer to the Internet.
Old 2nd August 2014, 09:21   #863
BHPian

To improve the range, do I hide the network name(SSID) in settings? I too have a limited range in my flat.

Quote:
Are other BSNL customers in your neighbourhood facing the same problem? Sounds like some device in the last mile is not on UPS. If there are others, then possibly at the exchange, else within your home. Does your modem manage the DSL synchronization during power failures (your DSL modem's status screen will show this)?

As for datacard service - check how good the mobile signal is. Check with your Android phone and the Speedtest app to see how good the bandwidth is. There is another app that I use called "Ping and DNS" in the Play Store for latency tests. You need minimum 3G for usable Internet access these days.

This happened to me too - I eventually traced it to another resident in my building deploying a Wifi AP in the same channel as mine. I switched to a different channel and now everything is hunky-dory. The first step is to check your connection quality without the Wifi in the path - by directly connecting your computer to the Internet.
Presently,under Wireless>Advanced>Channel selected is 1. Do I change it to another number? I do not know if anyone else in building is using Channel 1.
I may have to try another channel Please advise.
And,how do I check internet quality/strength isolatiing wifi?
Sorry for too many queries

Last edited by moralfibre : 2nd August 2014 at 10:11. Reason: Back to back posts
Old 2nd August 2014, 12:15   #864
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I am facing a peculiar issue with my internet connection at home. I am able to open all website fine on my laptop and most of them open just fine on my mobile phone as well. Among these there are few website like Engadget which refuse to open. The browser progress indicator stops and if I then stop and reload the website I can see partially loaded website. What could the problem be?
On Wi-Fi & Routers-screenshot_20140802120646.png

On Wi-Fi & Routers-screenshot_20140802120702.png
Old 2nd August 2014, 12:31   #865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
To improve the range, do I hide the network name(SSID) in settings? I too have a limited range in my flat.

Presently,under Wireless>Advanced>Channel selected is 1. Do I change it to another number? I do not know if anyone else in building is using Channel 1.
I may have to try another channel Please advise.
And,how do I check internet quality/strength isolatiing wifi?
Sorry for too many queries
Hiding the SSID broadcast will not give you better range, but will make your home network secure.

If you have an android phone/tablet, you may install some utility like wifi analyser. It will help you to find out the signal strength and channel usage.

Rohan
Old 2nd August 2014, 13:02   #866
BHPian

Installed Wifi analyser on Android phone.
Strength shows: -40
Is it fine?
Also,apart from my network,there aretwo more unknown networks under WiFi.What to do pls?

Last edited by virgopal : 2nd August 2014 at 13:05. Reason: Added info
Old 2nd August 2014, 13:30   #867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Hiding the SSID broadcast will not give you better range, but will make your home network secure.
Please - no misinformation. I had posted this link yesterday:

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/how-to-d...eless-network/

There is no additional security to be had by hiding your SSID. It is not a password that you have to keep it secret and hidden.
Old 2nd August 2014, 22:31   #868
Senior - BHPian

Need some help on a wifi router with modem. My 2 yr old son just broke the antenna if my current dlink modem which was doing a decent job for the last 2 years. It's working. Ow but the range has reduced significantly. I was looking at some routers without Antenna in flipkart and came across few models in Asus and netgear around 2k. I live in a 2 BHK so range requirement is not that great. So how do these antenna less routers fare? Any suggestions would be helpful.
Old 3rd August 2014, 00:40   #869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Need some help on a wifi router with modem. My 2 yr old son just broke the antenna if my current dlink modem which was doing a decent job for the last 2 years. It's working. Ow but the range has reduced significantly. I was looking at some routers without Antenna in flipkart and came across few models in Asus and netgear around 2k. I live in a 2 BHK so range requirement is not that great. So how do these antenna less routers fare? Any suggestions would be helpful.

You can buy a better antenna now for the one your son broke. Check eBay or your local electronics market.
I have a linksys 160 without antenna and an asus rt 12n which has two antennae. The linksys is better in my opinion in terms of range and stability.
Old 3rd August 2014, 10:08   #870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
You can check this out for a spare antenna:
http://www.ebay.in/itm/5dbi-Wifi-Ant...ff34c57&_uhb=1

Most Viewed