Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2014, 13:58   #976
BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Yes, just to be sure that it is indeed an issue with router's capacity, you can try these steps:

1. Reset existing router + modem to factory settings
2. Configure MTNL ADSL + WiFi
3. See if this helps

I not, you can either purchase a new WiFi router and disable WiFi in Beetel OR you can purchase a new WiFi + router combo.
Ok, so basically a reset to factory settings on the existing setup, reconfigure using WPA2, and check if the problem persists.

I actually have a Linksys WiFi router (E900) lying, which I am not putting to any use bcos my current setup has a ADSL + WiFi modem. So it just adds an extra piece of hardware, bcos I cant use the Linksys independently.

Will try! Thanks for your help!
Old 3rd November 2014, 22:30   #977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Not bad. I am looking at changing my old Linksys WRT120N to get better range. Right now i can only keep my modem and router in the bedroom at far end of my flat. The other end of the house where living, dining and kitchen are, suffer huge signal loss.

I initially thought of changing to a simple TP-LINK with 5Dbi antenna but am not confident this will increase the range significantly.

I then saw the Asus RT-N66u which looked insane but I don't think I need a router costing Rs.11K!!

I am now looking at TP-LINK WR841HP http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/d...del=TL-WR841HP

This is long range model.

Any other suggestions? I am not looking at repeater since I use it for facetime a lot and don't want my speed to drop.
Hi Vid, where are you able to buy this from?
Old 3rd November 2014, 22:49   #978
Team-BHP Support

Guys, sincere apologies if this has been asked and answered many times before. But I need a router with the best possible range, under 3-4k. Need about 25ft of range, through a wall and a door. Any suggestions on what to buy?
Old 3rd November 2014, 22:58   #979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I need a router with the best possible range, under 3-4k. Need about 25ft of range, through a wall and a door. Any suggestions on what to buy?
Solely considering your budget -

TP Link W8968

Meets and exceeds your requirements.

I was using a BSNL provided ANC 1020-21 adsl2 modem router since 4 years. Switched over to the above quoted TP Link model 4 days ago. No issues reported.

By the way, the BSNL provided ANC 1020-21 is still ok, but wanted to upgrade and get rid of monthly 80/- rental, hence the change.

Have been using TP Link at our other home since 2 years, so didn't have to think much before buying one!

Currently available below 2300/- across all ecommerce sites.

Last edited by Safety is Param : 3rd November 2014 at 23:00.
Old 4th November 2014, 13:02   #980
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
Solely considering your budget -

TP Link W8968

Meets and exceeds your requirements.
The present router is this
http://www.flipideal.com/products/ne...uter-n300.html

And the range is insufficient. So will the router you mentioned be much better, or any other suggestions?
Old 4th November 2014, 14:12   #981
BHPian

Quote:

The present router is this...And the range is insufficient. So will the router you mentioned be much better, or any other suggestions?
The link doesn't have much description, sorry! However, the one I suggested has -

1. Antennae of 5 dbi gain, 2 of them

2. USB port that can run printer or an external HDD

3. Easily satisfy your requirement of a range of 25 ft, even behind closed doors.

I stay in a 1500 sq ft apartment and hence, can easily vouch for its range behind closed doors as well as blind spots.

Earlier, with the AN 1020-21 modem, I used to get 2 bars in our bedroom, and max 1 bar with the door closed.

With TP Link W8968, I am getting 5 bars, irrespective of whether the door is shut or not.

Just gave some practical pointers; call is yours!

Last edited by Safety is Param : 4th November 2014 at 14:13.
Old 6th November 2014, 12:33   #982
BHPian

Guys I am looking for a good router without Modem. This should serve to connect my desktop and laptop over LAN with 2 mobile devices over wifi. I live in a Duplex house and should cover both the floors. Please suggest me which router to buy. Budget is max of 2K
Old 6th November 2014, 12:54   #983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetbadri View Post
Guys I am looking for a good router without Modem. This should serve to connect my desktop and laptop over LAN with 2 mobile devices over wifi. I live in a Duplex house and should cover both the floors. Please suggest me which router to buy. Budget is max of 2K
Again, I would suggest the one I have been using -

TP Link W8968

Also, if I am not wrong, it is one of the very few, that comes with a USB port (less than INR 2200/- price range). The other one is D-Link DSL-2750U

Keep checking this link periodically, and you could even get it for under INR 2000

http://www.flipkart.com/tp-link-td-w...mdggsyph7ytbfx

Last edited by Safety is Param : 6th November 2014 at 12:56.
Old 14th November 2014, 11:22   #984
BANNED

I need a wifi 3G/CDMA router for my dad. He has a tata photon+ (Huawei EC156) dongle. The range should be sufficient to cover 1800 square foot area and two floors. The house is old design (read lot of thick walls).
Does any one have experience with product like TP-LINK TL-MR3220 3G/4G Wireless N Router?
Suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.
Old 14th November 2014, 12:54   #985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, sincere apologies if this has been asked and answered many times before. But I need a router with the best possible range, under 3-4k. Need about 25ft of range, through a wall and a door. Any suggestions on what to buy?
Any router with broadcom or Infineon chip will suit your purpose.

Always check whether router has broadcom or infineon chip before buying. It changes from model to model even within same company and product line.

TPLink is W8968 with Lantiq chip.

Lantiq is the company that bought Infineon's router division. So that model would be perfect.

Quote:
The other one is D-Link DSL-2750U
Realtek Chip
Avoid.

Last edited by lurker : 14th November 2014 at 12:56.
Old 14th November 2014, 13:12   #986
BHPian

Quote:
The present router is this
http://www.flipideal.com/products/ne...uter-n300.html

And the range is insufficient. So will the router you mentioned be much better, or any other suggestions?
I too use "TP Link W8968" for the last 9 months and works flawlessly. I have bought from snap deal for 2,230/-. For this price it is very good. We are getting decent (one bar less) signal at extreme corner of the same floor. This is perfect for a single floor house/flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetbadri View Post
I guess there are any good routers under 2K, which can suit your need. As I said above, I have TP Link W8968 (w/o modem) router in my duplex. I have put the modem in level-1 and signal in level 2 is not that great (read only one bar). I think you need to increase your budget.

Hope this helps!
Old 16th November 2014, 14:09   #987
BHPian

Hi Guys,

My current 24Mbps ADSL2 router (using for last 5ys or so) has gone bad. Need to get a replacement soon. Please suggest a good and dependable N300 ADSL2 router preferably with USB port.

Another point ... does it actually make sense to move to N300 or N150 should suffice? Is there difference in range between 300 & 150 devices? I guess since it is dependent on antenna, it shouldn't matter if device is 300 or 150. Am I right here?

Thanks

Last edited by ms_rana : 16th November 2014 at 14:24.
Old 16th November 2014, 14:41   #988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
But 5GHZ is not good in penetrating through concrete walls and doors.
So unless your router and you are in the same room, might not be such a great idea. Added to this many old laptops cannot connect to a 5GHZ network.
To add to this, isn't the 5 GHz spectrum reserved for defence use in India? I recollect 802.11a not being accepted for use in India due to this.
Old 16th November 2014, 14:42   #989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_rana View Post
Hi Guys,

My current 24Mbps ADSL2 router (using for last 5ys or so) has gone bad. Need to get a replacement soon. Please suggest a good and dependable N300 ADSL2 router preferably with USB port.

Another point ... does it actually make sense to move to N300 or N150 should suffice? Is there difference in range between 300 & 150 devices? I guess since it is dependent on antenna, it shouldn't matter if device is 300 or 150. Am I right here?

Thanks
what is your price range ?

what is the distance of your router to the telephone exchange ?

what is your purpose of a USB port viz Is it to download torrents ?

these will decide your router.
Old 16th November 2014, 15:25   #990
BHPian

Hi,

My budget is around Rs2500. Not sure about the distance to the telephone exchange but the router is set right at the point where Airtel line enters my flat. The coverage distance that I look forward is around 20-25 feet (Central drawing room & adjacent 3 bedrooms).

I heard that USB port can be used to share file amongst connected devices. So, want to give it a try. May come handy. I am already using torrents for download on existing modem.

Thanks

Most Viewed