Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2021, 07:37   #2476
BHPian

Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogWheel View Post
My local internet provider is offering this router:
Syrotech Dual Band XPON ONT with 4 Antenna Wireless Router SY GPON 2010-WADONT (New Model for 1110-WDAONT) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B097BSNTTJ/...SE9K9MGNEFFFZA
Does anyone here have any experience / feedback on this?
Other than the beefy looks with 4 antennas and all that, it's no good. I have one in my in-law's place, recently added another TP link basic WiFi router owing to range issues and performance issues. This one is being used as just a GPON modem now
bhp_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 09:47   #2477
Senior - BHPian

Recently during the sale my cousin purchased the TP-Link AX-73 AX5400 Router from Amazon.in. He actually wanted the AX50 but that had run out of stock at that time.

I had borrowed it and did a comparison with the AX50 which I use at home and found it to be better in 2.4 Ghz but the 5 Ghz turned out to be a mixed bag. This one definitely runs cool and also supports OneMesh. Here is my review of the AX-73 for people who maybe interested - have included the setup of OneMesh with RE505X as well. Setting up OneMesh is super easy thanks to the Tether app.

TP-Link AX73 AX5400 Wi Fi 6 Router Review
Old 22nd October 2021, 09:54   #2478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Recently during the sale my cousin purchased the TP-Link AX-73 AX5400 Router from Amazon.in. He actually wanted the AX50 but that had run out of stock at that time.

I had borrowed it and did a comparison with the AX50 which I use at home and found it to be better in 2.4 Ghz but the 5 Ghz turned out to be a mixed bag. This one definitely runs cool and also supports OneMesh. Here is my review of the AX-73 for people who maybe interested - have included the setup of OneMesh with RE505X as well. Setting up OneMesh is super easy thanks to the Tether app.

TP-Link AX73 AX5400 Wi Fi 6 Router Review
This is a fine router. However, it may default to 160 channel width. There are many freeware that allow one to see all the channels available and their strength. The objective should be avoid conflict. This can be done by configuring routers to broadcast at specific non conflicting frequency bands. Then two SSIDs do not conflict each other. I have 3 routers and for 5GHz band, I have been able to make 4 ssid of 5 GHz that broadcast on their own exclusive frequency of 80/5 GHz and 1 ssid of 2.4 GHz (for printers) that is configured on frequency 1-11. I find it works better. Here is the software (portable)

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifiinfoview.zip

In fact, TP link has a ROUTER simulator for each model. That gives one an idea of the frequency it uses. Cheaper ones are 36-48 and maybe 149-165. But there are also 52-64, and 100-128. So one can make 4 non conflicting SSIDs of 80 GHz. 160 GHz band obviously cuts it into half. 40 GHz band doubles it. 20 Ghz is usually for 2.4 GHz and has speed limitations but good for range. 40-160 GHz give speed but somewhat lower range. But with my configuration, I am able to get pretty good signal of -50 DB even 40-50 feet from router. Usually -15db to -20 db at less than 5-7 feet from router in clear line. Jio router is good at close range but gets bad at distance and through walls. Windows/android/playe store has many apps that show this. Some good ones are Netspot, Analyti. But they ccant configure your router. Only the network ip 192.168... usually does it.

Last edited by vasudeva : 22nd October 2021 at 10:09.
vasudeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 10:03   #2479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Exactly how I feel! The only real use case where I can significantly notice the faster speed is when downloading large files. I was able to download a 2Gb file in less than 30 secs! For some reason no-one else seems to share my excitement though...

Very well said, the real question to ask myself is if I am going to notice the 100Mbps improvement with a cable - probably not!

Very true. A 10 feet long Cat 7 was hardly 400-500 on Amazon, didn't even bother checking the price of Cat 6 to be honest.
Cat 7 is worth it if you are rewiring. Earlier I had to run the wire along the walls to other rooms. In Feb 21, during some renovation, I got a cleaner solution. As to brands, I find these good: Vandesail, Monoprice, even Amazon Basics. My brother was coming from UK so I got some good 5-50 feet Vandesail CAT 7 at pretty low cost. I think Rs. 2000 for 50 feet.
Old 22nd October 2021, 23:35   #2480
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Cat 7 ... ... ... I think Rs. 2000 for 50 feet.
100metres cat 6 cable Rs.3,150. And I doubt that Amazon is the best place to buy bulk cable.

Each to their own way of spending their spending money.
Old 23rd October 2021, 07:22   #2481
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
100metres cat 6 cable Rs.3,150. And I doubt that Amazon is the best place to buy bulk cable.

Each to their own way of spending their spending money.
I don't need 100 metres and I doubt most would My max for running from main router to another room is 30 feet or 50 feet. I got Vandesail and Monoprice Cat 7 in 2019 at same price from UK as Cat 6 in India. But Cat 7 seems cheaper now. Of course, one can do with Cat 6 perfectly fine and I do not disagree at all on that.

The main point is that I found it better and cheaper to use cable as backhaul from main router or `range extender' than wireless extenders. Jio routers lose their signal strength pretty fast at a distance. I cared about getting high signal strength (<-40-50 db) no matter where in my home.
Old 23rd October 2021, 17:17   #2482
BHPian

I have recently installed Jio Fibre at my home. It is placed at the ground floor. I am not able to receive signal on the first floor bedrooms. Although the first floor open area (double height ceiling) is getting range. The Jio technician suggested me TPLink N300 Wireless range extender. Will it solve my problem? Or should I shift my Jio Device to first floor at the centre of the house. But It will look messy. Need suggestions.
Old 23rd October 2021, 18:50   #2483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
I have recently installed Jio Fibre at my home. It is placed at the ground floor. I am not able to receive signal on the first floor bedrooms. Although the first floor open area (double height ceiling) is getting range. The Jio technician suggested me TPLink N300 Wireless range extender. Will it solve my problem? Or should I shift my Jio Device to first floor at the centre of the house. But It will look messy. Need suggestions.
Try setting up another wireless router on first floor.
Use an ethernet cable from ground floor to first floor and make the first floor router set up as an Access Point.
View the link (or several other youtube links) for config set up

What is a Wireless Access Point?

Buy any ethernet cable (RJ45) that would fit the length from first floor router to the ground floor router. Preferably CAT 6 or CAT 7 (link to RJ45 cable on amazon)

Buy any good wifi router that fits your budget for first floor ( say TPLINK or DLINK or ASUS)

I recently did the same setup at my home.
Bought TP LINK C7 Archer and Fedus RJ45 cable

I had a carpenter to use these wire fasteners or clips to hold the ethernet cable along the wall.

Last edited by cs_rajesh : 23rd October 2021 at 18:55. Reason: More information link added
cs_rajesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 19:17   #2484
BHPian

^Can we not do the same setup wirelessly with the TPlink router ? I am also having an old Dlink router from BSNL Broadband days. It has Client/Access Point/Repeater modes. Dont know if this can be wirelessly connected to the JioFibre Router. If Ethernet needs to be used then I might aswell use this Dlink router.
Old 23rd October 2021, 19:38   #2485
BHPian

Quote:
Range extender should be a quick and good fix for this. I have used the same model in the past to extend the signal to the rooms and it has worked perfectly well.
There is a drawback to using the extender though.
I use RouterUPS for the power backup of the router. Though the router works when there is no power, the extender gives up. The adaptor of these extenders cannot be used with RouterUPS(Can be used with normal UPS).

Setting up these extenders is also pretty easy.

Shifting it to first floor could make the signal patchy across the house. Mostly towards the corners.

If its an option, check with your friends/colleagues if they can share the extender for a day to check the range issues.
Poornavakra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 00:32   #2486
BHPian

Hello!
Anyone having experience with Airtel Fiber Mesh setup. I am contemplating to get it in my new house. Does it work as claimed, I want a seamless connectivity across my all rooms. In my current house I have both Airtel n Jio Fiber but while moving from one room to other one has to switch the WiFi connection everytime to get best speed based on coverage.
Old 24th October 2021, 00:42   #2487
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
The main point is that I found it better and cheaper to use cable as backhaul from main router or `range extender' than wireless extenders.
We are very much in agreement on that principle.

By the way, I think my cable run to my upstairs mesh node is 30m. I bought it from my usual PC maintenance guys and ran it myself.
Old 24th October 2021, 00:56   #2488
BHPian

Quote:
^Can we not do the same setup wirelessly with the TPlink router ? I am also having an old Dlink router from BSNL Broadband days. It has Client/Access Point/Repeater modes. Dont know if this can be wirelessly connected to the JioFibre Router. If Ethernet needs to be used then I might aswell use this Dlink router.
You are thinking of extending range because you don't catch the wireless signal from your jio fibre router. How can you then effectively feed the wireless signal to the access point when your signal is so weak?

Use ethernet cable to feed the signal into the next router that should work as Access Point.
Old 24th October 2021, 15:48   #2489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_rajesh View Post
You are thinking of extending range because you don't catch the wireless signal from your jio fibre router. How can you then effectively feed the wireless signal to the access point when your signal is so weak?

Use ethernet cable to feed the signal into the next router that should work as Access Point.
I am getting good signal on the first floor common area. That’s why I plan to put the extender here , so that I get enough signal on the first floor bedrooms.
Old 24th October 2021, 18:14   #2490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please do not buy N300 or any router with 2.4 GHz single band only. You can easily buy a dual channel (2.4 GHz/5 GHz) AC router for around 2,000-2,500 of TPlink. 2.4 GHz is for range but not speed. But if you get a AC... dual channel, you get 5Ghz too which is for speed but not range. Jio technician is a total idiot for suggesting a single channel `N' router. No place for such routers today.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks