Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2021, 21:13   #2371
BHPian

Re: Router UPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I am planning to buy a router UPS. From whatever listing I see on Amazon, Cuzor, Resonate, Zinq are the most purchased and reviewed brands. Are all of them equally good? Or is there any particular one that is works better overall?

Thanks
Been using Resonate for almost an year now. Works like a charm. Haven’t found the need to even look at it post-installation.
Old 3rd August 2021, 21:14   #2372
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Router UPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I am planning to buy a router UPS. From whatever listing I see on Amazon, Cuzor, Resonate, Zinq are the most purchased and reviewed brands. Are all of them equally good? Or is there any particular one that is works better overall?

Thanks
I have been using Resonate for more than 1.5 years and I picked up Zinq for my second bridged router 3 months back. My need was for a back-up for less than a minute till the apartment DG kicked in and so far both of them have been performing for my expectations.

When I bought Resonate, I nearly paid 3000 from a shop as Amazon was not delivering last year due to Covid restrictions. This year I saw Zinq with quite some positive reviews and paid half of what I had picked Resonate for.

Both of them have nearly the same dimensions and LED light indications that unless you really pay attention, you may not be able to distinguish between both.

EDIT: When buying either of them, do check the output rating (9V,12V) based on the output of your AC Power adapter of the router and buy.

Last edited by paragsachania : 3rd August 2021 at 21:16.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 00:20   #2373
Team-BHP Support

Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Another vote for Resonate. Even got to test the claimed 4 hour backup recently when apartment's DG maintenance window coincided with a BESCOM maintenance outage in our area.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 11:42   #2374
BHPian

How about Luminous?

https://www.flipkart.com/luminous-lm...m5b20cfee55231

BTW, if the router is backed up by a home UPS, does a router UPS provide any additional advantage?
Old 4th August 2021, 16:24   #2375
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
How about Luminous?

https://www.flipkart.com/luminous-lm...m5b20cfee55231

BTW, if the router is backed up by a home UPS, does a router UPS provide any additional advantage?
None. Router UPS is when you need backup only for the router alone. With full home UPS and the power supply to router through the UPS backup, you are pretty much covered.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 16:25   #2376
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
if the router is backed up by a home UPS, does a router UPS provide any additional advantage?
I don't think so. Our inverter will run 5-10 hours supporting my PC, router, etc, plus normal household lighting and fans. If we have a power cut longer than one hour, we are probably starting the generator anyway.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 16:38   #2377
BHPian

Quote:
I have two broadband connections and both terminate behind the TV. Big plus of a UPS is that you can power your TV as well. I use a firestick and it is really annoying and time consuming to get back to your content post a reset. UPS solves that problem. Pardon my strong views but, UPS is way more VFM. Router UPS'es are nothing more than a powerbank with wires.

Last edited by vinu_h : 4th August 2021 at 16:41.
vinu_h is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 17:58   #2378
Distinguished - BHPian

In final stages of our office renovation and all the wifi router/access point are high up on the wall hence looking for options that look sleek and don't have antennas. Ubiquiti is the only brand I know of that is sleek disc design. What are my other options?

It's an open office format with some glass partitions for conference rooms,etc. I think we will need atleast 5 wifi points but confused if these need a wifi modem or access points?

My knowledge on this is limited so will be great to get some expert help.
Old 4th August 2021, 18:31   #2379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
In final stages of our office renovation and all the wifi router/access point are high up on the wall hence looking for options that look sleek and don't have antennas. Ubiquiti is the only brand I know of that is sleek disc design. What are my other options?

It's an open office format with some glass partitions for conference rooms,etc. I think we will need atleast 5 wifi points but confused if these need a wifi modem or access points?

My knowledge on this is limited so will be great to get some expert help.
Try googling about Mesh routers from tp-link. This is really a good option for your requirement.
Old 4th August 2021, 18:49   #2380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How many users are there in office ? More then the router itself, "backend" can be more imp (say if you need to manage WiFi passwords for 50 users). For small teams, you can get away with giving everyone the same password.

In terms of routers, all brands have these options.

https://www.amazon.in/Cisco-Business...dp/B08PDXQVC2/

https://www.amazon.in/TP-LINK-EAP245...dp/B01N0XZ1TU/

https://www.amazon.in/D-LINK-DAP%E2%...dp/B07CBMXLQJ/

These are just examples, use something that your hardware vendor can easily support.
Old 4th August 2021, 19:19   #2381
BHPian

Quote:
Well, one situation I can think of is when the home UPS overloads and trips. I got into this situation quite a few times recently, usually happens when mom unknowingly plugs in the ironbox or induction cooktop to an outlet powered by the UPS I am not an internet zombie who can't live without it for a moment, but these days with WFH in full swing, it's a matter of concern with online meetings and such. Planning to buy a router UPS to work around this situation.
bhp_maniac is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 19:52   #2382
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Most of us use a router UPS to get around the momentary outage caused by the power supply switching between mains & DG backup. Doesn't apply to seamless UPS backup.

There may be a use case where you want to isolate your router's power supply from the rest of the home/office for some reason, but that's a niche example.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 01:46   #2383
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autospeaker View Post
Try googling about Mesh routers from tp-link. This is really a good option for your requirement.
What’s the difference between a mesh and putting a few access points like the ones mentioned below by Netfreak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
How many users are there in office ? More then the router itself, "backend" can be more imp (say if you need to manage WiFi passwords for 50 users). For small teams, you can get away with giving everyone the same password.

In terms of routers, all brands have these options.

https://www.amazon.in/Cisco-Business...dp/B08PDXQVC2/

https://www.amazon.in/TP-LINK-EAP245...dp/B01N0XZ1TU/

https://www.amazon.in/D-LINK-DAP%E2%...dp/B07CBMXLQJ/

These are just examples, use something that your hardware vendor can easily support.
Thanks! 50 users is about right however we don’t need separate passwords. One password is fine.
Old 6th August 2021, 02:02   #2384
BHPian

Quote:
Ubiquiti is the only brand I know of that is sleek disc design.
For offices, I would recommend Cisco APs probably. You can get the ones with internal antennas as well.

Cheers
Old 6th August 2021, 13:48   #2385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! 50 users ...One password is fine.
In this case, ideal solution would be :
  1. System that can "hide" itself well
  2. Can be powered by Ethernet cables
  3. Easily replaceable in next 4 - 5 years (one of them will fail)
  4. Something that IT vendor / team can easily configure

You would need 3 of these (maybe buy 4 and keep 1 as spare). You can start with 2 and add others later if office will not be staffed fully on day 1.

https://www.amazon.in/TP-Link-Omada-.../dp/B07NMZR3F1

Strongly recommend to discuss this with your IT vendor.

These APs will do the job of mesh as well. You can achieve the same purpose with consumer mesh too (such as TP Link Deco). couple of points :
  1. Ensure that all units are connected via Ethernet
  2. Each unit will require a AC socket.

https://www.amazon.in/TP-Link-Deco-X...dp/B07G38STYN/

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 6th August 2021 at 13:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks