Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2021, 14:58   #2386
BHPian

Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post

Thanks! 50 users is about right however we don’t need separate passwords. One password is fine.
I was in the same situation currently. Get CAT6 wiring done, so that you have ample LAN sockets for wired connectivity.
At appropriate LAN points, get your wireless routers installed instead of wired connectivity. I have Netgear Archer dual band( they look ugly with 4 antennaes. Use any good looking replacement.)
The most important part comes now, when setting up all of these routers, ask your IT guy to use the same SSID and password for all 4/6/8 routers that you install.
I had it configured as home1,home2,home3 with each having a different password. The problem with that was, when moving from one place to another, seamless transfer wouldn't happen and the device wouldn't transfer to the strongest signal, however when you name them as home, you will only see 1 wi-fi wherever you are and when you configure that single ssid (home), you are good to go.

Mesh routers are ok if you don't have the option of CAT6 internal cabling.

Last edited by riteshritesh : 10th August 2021 at 15:00.
riteshritesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 15:12   #2387
BHPian

Got Airtel Xstream Fiber connection at my place. Opted for the 200 Mbps plan @ 999/month, considering increased usage due to WFH etc, plus also future-proof. Got a nice deal with 15% discount on annual plan. 18% GST was applicable, but only had to pay the 3% differential amount, taking the discount into consideration. Total came to around 12,000/- odd. Since my office has introduced an incentive for internet connection, will get this reimbursed!

Was really impressed by Airtel's service. Placed a request for installation at 12 noon, received a call back within an hour and the KYC representative arrived at 3 p.m. Completed the formalities (completely digital, no hard copies etc), paid the amount via the link I received once he uploaded my documents. Whole process took barely 20 mins. He assured that the technicians will come within 24 hours. Was pleasantly surprised to receive a call from the technician at 5.30 pm enquiring whether he can visit for installation. He came along with a helper. Since the junction box was already placed on my floor, the wiring etc was a breeze. They did a superb job of wiring within the house, especially maneuvering through some tight spaces to install the router at the location of my choice, without any complaints. The entire installation took not more than an hour max. Had an old landline device, got that activated alongside, since the offer includes free landline calls. It was barely 7.30 pm when everything was set up and the white light blinked on the router, signalling that the connection was now active! The technician asked us to power-off the router after 2 days and switch back on after 15 mins. Seems this is required to stabilize the connection after first installation. On regular days, I shut the router once per week, for atleast 1 hour.

Have been consistently getting Download Speed of around 240 Mbps and Upload Speed of 238 Mbps on the 5Ghz band. Speeds on the 2.4Ghz band hover around 50 Mbps however. Total devices connected through the day are almost 10, including 2 Smart TVs, wireless printer, 2 Laptops, 5 phones. All this without any speed drops.

Seems Airtel is installing a variety of routers for Fiber connections in different places, as per stock. Was happy to receive this one (image attached below) than the ugly white Nokia one with antennae. This one is sleek and unassuming. Range is decent enough for my 2 BHK. The farthest corner of the house does have an issue with the 5Ghz band, 2.4 Ghz band giving decent speeds there.

Really quite impressed with the way Airtel has ramped-up its sevice and the quality of internet connection being offered. Have heard many mixed reviews of JioFiber from friends and family. Would recommend interested BHPians to opt for Airtel Xstream Fiber. (I am not affiliated with Airtel in any way, just a happy customer)
Attached Thumbnails
On Wi-Fi & Routers-img20210810wa0000.jpg  

IamNikhil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 13:55   #2388
BHPian

Tech q: Today I had to download a Covid test report from a lab link received via SMS. The browser never opened the link, always getting a timeout error (The server took a long time to respond).

I called up the lab and they asked me to access the link using 4G and not Wi-fi. It worked and I could open the site (tested negative). Looks like it is a known issue at the lab.

Now the question obviously is, why the server behaves differently based on wifi or 4G?
Old 13th August 2021, 13:58   #2389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
Now the question obviously is, why the server behaves differently based on wifi or 4G?
Show the link that you got via SMS? Without that tough to say given that this does not happen with the vast majority of links.
Old 13th August 2021, 14:15   #2390
BHPian

Quote:

I've noticed this too.
Possibly because it uses a different set of DNS servers. But if anyone has a definitive answer, I'd like to know too.
Old 13th August 2021, 14:18   #2391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Show the link that you got via SMS?
Here it is:

On Wi-Fi & Routers-screenshot_20210813141331_messages.jpg
Old 13th August 2021, 16:45   #2392
Senior - BHPian

Re: Router UPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I am planning to buy a router UPS. From whatever listing I see on Amazon, Cuzor, Resonate, Zinq are the most purchased and reviewed brands. Are all of them equally good? Or is there any particular one that is works better overall?

Thanks
Well, I was looking for a "Made in India" one. Rest all are of Chinese origin (that's why some of the models look exactly the same with just a different branding)

I bought the one from Energy Intelligence, working fine with excellent customer service (by the founders himself). Comes with 3 years warrant including battery
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 17:07   #2393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
Seems Airtel is installing a variety of routers for Fiber connections in different places, as per stock. Was happy to receive this one (image attached below) than the ugly white Nokia one with antennae. This one is sleek and unassuming. Range is decent enough for my 2 BHK. The farthest corner of the house does have an issue with the 5Ghz band, 2.4 Ghz band giving decent speeds there.
This seems to be a AOT-4221SR ONT. Earlier they used to give the Nokia 2425G for upto 200Mbps connection (max speed is 866Mbps on 802.11AC) and DASAN H680GM-A (excellent 4x4 MIMO on 5ghz band ) for Giga subscription. Do post your experience with their ONT.

As far as the bands are concerned, unless you have an older device supporting only 2.4ghz, disable it. I have done the same and use only 5ghz.

The performance of the internet is exceptionally good due to 5Ghz channel spacing, unlike 2.4ghz which will always be clogged in neighborhoods.

Also check out their Black plans if you are an Airtel multi-services user.
dadu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 18:54   #2394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here it is [image removed]
OK, most probably the issue is the :8006 part. That signifies the port number to connect to (it is usually absent in URLs, which then defaults to the authoritative port for HTTP - 80, or HTTPS - 443, as the case is). Many firewall software and their administrators choose to block such custom ports due to certain security risks.

Wifi is often administered by corporate IT teams and the like whereas mobile data is mostly unfiltered so it is not unimaginable that customers of this lab has had issues fetching the reports over Wifi.
binand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 19:28   #2395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
OK, most probably the issue is the :8006 part.....

Wifi is often administered by corporate IT teams and the like.....
Makes sense. Though I was accessing via my home ACT Broadband, it may be possible that that have this security mechanism that caters to ACT's corporate clients also.
DigitalOne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 19:29   #2396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
As far as the bands are concerned, unless you have an older device supporting only 2.4ghz, disable it.

The performance of the internet is exceptionally good due to 5Ghz channel spacing, unlike 2.4ghz which will always be clogged in neighborhoods.

Also check out their Black plans if you are an Airtel multi-services user.
Unfortunately a couple of older laptops at home support only the 2.4G band, so cannot disable it. Plus I think, with about 8-10 devices constantly connected, the distribution between the bands is working out quite well. As you mentioned however, the 5Ghz band is bliss!

The ONT seems decent enough, it's been a week now and haven't faced any issues yet (touchwood). Was considering a wireless bridge with my previous TP-Link router, just to ensure range through the house, but haven't felt the need. Seems the ONT is capable enough. Getting constant speeds for most part of the day of around 240 mbps for download and 235+ for upload (the upload speed sometimes fluctuates). I switch off the ONT once in about 2-3 days at night.

Wanted to opt for Airtel Black, but my Airtel Number is a corporate one registered with the company; so had to give it a miss.
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 11:31   #2397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
Unfortunately a couple of older laptops at home support only the 2.4G band, so cannot disable it. Plus I think, with about 8-10 devices constantly connected, the distribution between the bands is working out quite well. As you mentioned however, the 5Ghz band is bliss!
I had a similar situation with older laptop, bought a TP-link USB wifi6 adapter and then everyone was happy with the speed and I was happy to switch off the 2.4ghz.
dadu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 11:58   #2398
BHPian

Quote:
I had a similar situation with older laptop, bought a TP-link USB wifi6 adapter and then everyone was happy with the speed and I was happy to switch off the 2.4ghz.
Thanks, will consider this as well. Seems a good option to get rid of the sub-par speeds on 2.4Ghz!
Old 14th August 2021, 11:59   #2399
BHPian

Quote:
Hey! Never occurred to me. Though my laptop is just 2 years old it frequently has problems connecting to the router. I have tried updating and downgrading drivers etc. This seems to be an easier way out, only problem - it will occupy an USB port. Hopefully, the Tplink dongle will work well with Tplink router.
Old 14th August 2021, 21:35   #2400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
TP-link USB wifi6 adapter
Hi, which adapter did you get ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks