Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2021, 23:22   #2461
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Which model of Macbook is this ? Do you get similar speeds on other devices as well ?
2015 MacBook Pro.
Yes, I get similar speed on my windows 10 PC as well.

Should I check/update the firmware on the Airport Extreme ? I do believe it is up to date, will check though.

Last edited by NPV : 18th October 2021 at 23:25.
Old 19th October 2021, 09:44   #2462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Should I check/update the firmware on the Airport Extreme ? I do believe it is up to date, will check though.
Yes, that should help. Even though chipset on this Router is very old; Broadcom did release some fixes in 2020. Apple would have included these in recent firmware.

This router is identical to C64 in terms of specs :

https://www.amazon.in/TP-Link-Archer...dp/B095K48F52/

For getting consistent speed of 300 mbps; eventually you need a better router.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 12:44   #2463
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
For getting consistent speed of 300 mbps; eventually you need a better router.
Any recommendations for a good router ? Hopefully it will have enough range within a 2 floor home. I can add a range extender/repeater later if needed.
Old 19th October 2021, 13:20   #2464

Quote:
Any recommendations for a good router ? Hopefully it will have enough range within a 2 floor home. I can add a range extender/repeater later if needed.
Bought the tplink deco M4 for a one floor 2000 sq ft home. Bought 2 pack and works like a charm.

My friend got a 3 pack for 2 floor individual house, same model. works like a charm.
sramven is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 12:20   #2465
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Any idea if this is a good router to consider ?
A friend got this recently
https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-...int/eap265-hd/
Old 20th October 2021, 12:23   #2466
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
No, as mentioned in my post, ACT technician connected the RJ45 directly to the PC and speed test showed 300mbps. Once he connected the RJ45 to the Apple Extreme router and then we ran the speed test on the same PC again but connected to the network on wireless this time, speed drops to <= 150mbps.

I tried again with only 1 device (MacBook) connected to the wireless network and result is same.
What speed do you get if you connect your laptop to the router with a cable?
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 13:10   #2467
BHPian

My local internet provider is offering this router:
Syrotech Dual Band XPON ONT with 4 Antenna Wireless Router SY GPON 2010-WADONT (New Model for 1110-WDAONT) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B097BSNTTJ/...SE9K9MGNEFFFZA
Does anyone here have any experience / feedback on this?
Old 20th October 2021, 13:48   #2468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
An update!

Super happy and looking forward to the new hardware. I have received the RMA number and just need to drop off my current router to their partner collection service, after which I am promised delivery of the replacement within 7 days.

So lets see how this goes! If it actually works out I will be quite impressed.
Update 2!

Dropped off the faulty Orbi RBR40 at Flex in Pune. A pretty hassle free experience and no questions asked, had a wait of about 20 mins to be seen as it was a Saturday, but once at the counter was done in less than 5 mins. Flex handles service and replacement for quite a few brands like Nokia, Lenovo, Netgear etc.

They said the replacement router will be shipped within 8 days, but before I even got home an hour later, I got a message from Fedex saying a shipment has been sent! Received yesterday and it was the RBR50, an upgraded model with faster wireless backhaul and slightly stronger 5Ghz antennas. The router was brand new and unused.

Setup was a walk in the park. For now I have kept the Orbi in AP mode only as getting the Airtel router into bridge mode has to be done through their backend support which was proving to be a pain.

I have also upgraded my plan to 1Gbps with Airtel. They came in to install a new router, DASAN Networks H680GM-A, which is pretty decent and has good UI, though a little restricted due to their way of configuring everything remotely. You are able to do basic things like turn off the WiFi etc. Does anyone know how to put this into bridge mode? There is an option on the WAN interface setup page for "pass-through" - it's currently deactivated but not sure if that is what is needed to then setup the PPoE connection on my Orbi instead?

However, with using their provided cable I was not really able to cross 650Mbps, even when connected via Ethernet to a laptop directly. Swapped out the cable for an AmazonBasics Cat7 and now getting 900Mbps+ over Ethernet, and 700Mbps over WiFi when in the same room. Using the Orbi Satellite in the Office with wireless backhaul, get a minimum of 350Mbps which is pretty decent, and a minimum of 200Mbps anywhere in our apartment. (I agree this is pretty overkill for just my wife and I, our laptops, phones, iPads and TV, but going all out after years of rubbish local ISP's!)

So, would I recommend Netgear Orbi? Yes. When it works, it really works well. Their support has also been very good after the warranty issue was sorted out. I would just recommend that you buy from a reputed seller, Amazon or Flipkart etc., and register for warranty and make sure it shows the correct dates. The RMA experience was hassle free and I am thoroughly happy with speeds throughout our apartment.

The only thing that I may possibly do, is as a fellow member suggested, run an Ethernet cable internally from the Router to the Satellite for a wired backhaul, but don't think that is really necessary at the moment.
s4ch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 15:45   #2469
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
However, with using their provided cable I was not really able to cross 650Mbps, even when connected via Ethernet to a laptop directly. Swapped out the cable for an AmazonBasics Cat7 and now getting 900Mbps
The different cable might have done the trick, but a good cat6 cable should have worked.
Quote:
(I agree this is pretty overkill for just my wife and I, our laptops, phones, iPads and TV, but going all out after years of rubbish local ISP's!)
Even our recent upgrade to a mere 200Gb/s fibre is overkill for us couple too. I don't think the browsing experience is much different to the 40-plus Mb/s we had before. But hey, I'm not giving it back

Quote:
The only thing that I may possibly do, is as a fellow member suggested, run an Ethernet cable internally from the Router to the Satellite for a wired backhaul, but don't think that is really necessary at the moment.
If it doesn't need it, it doesn't need it.

For my (Asus) mesh, the remote node was never going to get a good enough wireless connection to pass on: cable was necessary.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 15:50   #2470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On a 2 floor home, you may get range but not quality. Best is to have a base router, extend an ethernet cable to your 2nd floor, and have a 2nd router plugged on the other side. I find it a better solution than having wifi range extenders, etc.

In my 3 BR home, I have 3 routers placed strategically (connected with wired) so that signal remains below -50 db everywhere and close to -20-30 DB near to router. You can configure your devices (PC, mobile) to poll the best signal and select that one.

For router specifically, I have good experience with Tplink. One particularly good router is AC2600 (was 4600 in amazon sale). There is also AC1900 and AC1200. More expensive could be AC4000 which is triband.

You should also configure your router so that there are not 2 SSIDs broadcasting on same 80mhz band of 5GHz. Quite easy to do.
vasudeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 15:52   #2471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The different cable might have done the trick, but a good cat6 cable should have worked. Even our recent upgrade to a mere 200Gb/s fibre is overkill for us couple too. I don't think the browsing experience is much different to the 40-plus Mb/s we had before. But hey, I'm not giving it back

For my (Asus) mesh, the remote node was never going to get a good enough wireless connection to pass on: cable was necessary.
Yes Cat 6 works but the price difference with Cat 7 is not much now. If you are doing cabling afresh, best is to go for Cat 7.
Old 20th October 2021, 16:23   #2472
BHPian

Quote:
Even our recent upgrade to a mere 200Gb/s fibre is overkill for us couple too. I don't think the browsing experience is much different to the 40-plus Mb/s we had before. But hey, I'm not giving it back
Exactly how I feel! The only real use case where I can significantly notice the faster speed is when downloading large files. I was able to download a 2Gb file in less than 30 secs! For some reason no-one else seems to share my excitement though...

Quote:

Very well said, the real question to ask myself is if I am going to notice the 100Mbps improvement with a cable - probably not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Yes Cat 6 works but the price difference with Cat 7 is not much now. If you are doing cabling afresh, best is to go for Cat 7.
Very true. A 10 feet long Cat 7 was hardly 400-500 on Amazon, didn't even bother checking the price of Cat 6 to be honest.
Old 20th October 2021, 16:51   #2473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Exactly how I feel! The only real use case where I can significantly notice the faster speed is when downloading large files. I was able to download a 2Gb file in less than 30 secs! For some reason no-one else seems to share my excitement though...

Very well said, the real question to ask myself is if I am going to notice the 100Mbps improvement with a cable - probably not!

Compared with WIFI, cable wont give you much higher speed but stable speed. That is why I prefer cabling for backhaul and wifi for end devices. But cable for PC, laptop, streaming, TV. Much better than wifi. Phone cant have cable so that is acceptable. But wherever cable is possible, that is my preference.

In a new home, people plan a lot on internal power cabling. However, not many give a thought even now on network cabling. My wife sister has a huge newly built 2 story home with just 1 wifi router and maybe a wifi extender. The network is simply atrocious beyond words, and what is the point. Just some planning on network cabling and buying 3-4 routers for 3000 each and maybe 100-150 feet of cat 6/7 cable would have solved the problem.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 20th October 2021 at 17:48. Reason: broken quote tags
Old 20th October 2021, 17:27   #2474
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Cat7, although backwards compatible they say, has different shielding, earthing, and is made for cat7 devices. Even if it was cheaper, I'd buy cat6 --- because I don't have one single cat7 device.

Quote:
I haven't tried that yet. And I don't do it often anyway. The next time I download a Linux upgrade will be interesting.

My cloud site, for shared storage and backup, pCloud, seems to be pretty slow. Or maybe because I am uploading multiple 400kb-ish files, rather than one big stream. Best I'm getting is 2Mb/second which is disappointing, but, objectively, it is still much faster now. I can no longer make tea during photo uploads.

Quote:
Very true. A 10 feet long Cat 7 was hardly 400-500 on Amazon, didn't even bother checking the price of Cat 6 to be honest.
Given your current experience of cat6 cable a against cat7 cable b, it's probably hard to make a case that it was a bad cat 6 cable! Many of them are.

Quote:
Compared with WIFI, cable wont give you much higher speed but stable speed. That is why I prefer cabling for backhaul and wifi for end devices. But cable for PC, laptop, streaming, TV. Much better than wifi. Phone cant have cable so that is acceptable. But wherever cable is possible, that is my preference.
According to me, and I could be wrong/out-of-date, cable will always perform to a much higher percentage of its spec than wifi.
Quote:
In a new home, people plan a lot on internal power cabling. However, not many give a thought even now on network cabling. My wife sister has a huge newly built 2 story home with just 1 wifi router and maybe a wifi extender.
Well, I can't really talk, because I forgot about it with our terrace studio flat we built. I've ended up slinging a cable across the terrace.

But if I was building a house, I'd certainly want, at minimum, ethernet to every floor, if not to most rooms.

But I'm a (ex-)computer person: who else will think like this? Most will not. You and I would probably end up with heaps of seldom/never used cable around the house --- but imagine the satisfaction of knowing it is there! With neat sockets and a smart patch panel!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 18:12   #2475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cat7, although backwards compatible they say, has different shielding, earthing, and is made for cat7 devices. Even if it was cheaper, I'd buy cat6 --- because I don't have one single cat7 device.

I haven't tried that yet. And I don't do it often anyway. The next time I download a Linux upgrade will be interesting.

My cloud site, for shared storage and backup, pCloud, seems to be pretty slow. Or maybe because I am uploading multiple 400kb-ish files, rather than one big stream. Best I'm getting is 2Mb/second which is disappointing, but, objectively, it is still much faster now. I can no longer make tea during photo uploads.

Given your current experience of cat6 cable a against cat7 cable b, it's probably hard to make a case that it was a bad cat 6 cable! Many of them are.

According to me, and I could be wrong/out-of-date, cable will always perform to a much higher percentage of its spec than wifi.
Well, I can't really talk, because I forgot about it with our terrace studio flat we built. I've ended up slinging a cable across the terrace.

But if I was building a house, I'd certainly want, at minimum, ethernet to every floor, if not to most rooms.

But I'm a (ex-)computer person: who else will think like this? Most will not. You and I would probably end up with heaps of seldom/never used cable around the house --- but imagine the satisfaction of knowing it is there! With neat sockets and a smart patch panel!
It is essential if you care about network, streaming, productivity, browsing. Walls are the biggest enemy abd so is hiding routers. But if you place 2 or 3 routers even cheaper ones, that will work. Of course, too many routers means channels clash. It is wise to also look at what frequencies the router allows. Cheaper ones are from 36 to 48. That gives 1 clear 5 ghz signal lane. Then if you have 52 to 64, 100 to 128, 149 to 165. You then get 4 or 5 clear wifi channels of 80 each.

My wife sister has tried all sorts of expensive wifi extenders. But simply don't cut it. Thrown them in the discarded box when just cabling would have worked.

Last edited by vasudeva : 20th October 2021 at 18:15.

Most Viewed