Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2021, 17:01   #2446
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
The VOIP is from 10.157.xxx.xxx and the TR-69 is 122.179.xxx.xxx. The ASUS has a third IP from 122.167.xxx.xxx
Two similar subnets on my router.
Quote:
I haven't tried IPV6. It seems Airtel is issuing IPv6 also in Bangalore.
Looks like it has been given an ipv6 address too.

The world of IPv4 is too small. My head is too small for IPv6. Are there any practical advantages to IPv6, other than to the world, of having more addresses? I don't think so, but I haven't kept up.
Old 11th October 2021, 19:23   #2447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
any practical advantages to IPv6...
"Quantity"

With IPV4, ISO gives you one IP that is shared by all devices. On IPV6, ISP will give a "block" of addresses to users. In theory, you can assign public IP to all devices in home.

Few examples where it helps :
  1. Gamers : host Game servers / Chart servers etc
  2. Developers : Host and expose VMs to external world for tests
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 20:55   #2448
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
In theory, you can assign public IP to all devices in home.
So, what will save the world from the consequences of doing that? Will IPv6 domestic routers come with appropriate firewalling by default? I suppose it's too early to know. And we still live in a world of User=admin; password=password.

Really, this makes me want to use language that is not allowed on this forum. Manufacturers should stop selling boxes like this, and ISPs should certainly stop installing them that way. I got such a box yesterday: they must be rolling out to thousands, most of who will never know, and never understand the risk.

And it isn't necessary. I've seen plenty of domestic routers that, at least, had random, if short, admin passwords. Hey ho, I suppose that costs more.
Old 12th October 2021, 07:47   #2449
BHPian

Quote:
I've seen plenty of domestic routers that, at least, had random, if short, admin passwords. Hey ho, I suppose that costs more.
Most of the routers by default blocks any incoming requests from WAN, isn't is so? There might be ways around it for serious hackers, but a simple firewall like this would still take care of keeping it secure. For serious users, IPv6 is a boon and solves a lot of port forwarding related concerns even for home users. It's mostly plug and play for that matter. I am a long time Open WRT user and on IPv6 for the past couple of years or so. Never had any security concerns of the sorts till now With IPv6, the onus is on us to make sure that our home network is kept secure. Before IPv6, I was behind a CG-NAT and everything was a pain when it comes to self-hosting anything.

Last edited by bhp_maniac : 12th October 2021 at 07:50.
bhp_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 08:46   #2450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will IPv6 domestic routers come with appropriate firewalling by default?
Yes, default firewall blocks all incoming connections. User explicitly needs to expose set of devices for incoming connections.
Old 12th October 2021, 11:35   #2451
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are there any practical advantages to IPv6, other than to the world, of having more addresses?
IPSec is part of IPv6. So everything is (can be?) encrypted by default.

The obsolescence of NAT can result in improvements in peer-to-peer tech (VoIP, streaming etc.). Patchwork protocols like STUN will be binned.

DHCP is another protocol that can be obsoleted by IPv6. Instead, devices can generate their own addresses and still be reachable on the net. No more "Windows has detected an IP address conflict" messages.

Efficiency improvements for faster throughput. For example, the IP header checksum field is eliminated in IPv6, so there is no need for every router to recalculate and compare the checksum.

And of course, "more addresses" for large-scale adoption of IoT which I believe is a disaster in the making. :-)
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 14:05   #2452
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the responses. I can't help being a pessimist about home net security!

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
DHCP is another protocol that can be obsoleted by IPv6. Instead, devices can generate their own addresses and still be reachable on the net. No more "Windows has detected an IP address conflict" messages.
Not an error message I have seen in a very long time, and I can be 100% certain that I never will see it again. Not in my home, at least! (well, ok... I can't be 100% certain that we will never, ever again have a Windows machine in the house, but I'm unwilling)*.

I guess I'm attached to IPv4. I can tell you the address of my PC and my phone in my sleep. I can tell you the addresses of all the other regular devices with a quick look at my hosts file --- which I use to document the reserved DHCP addresses set up in the router/DHCP server. IPv4 has a kind of poetry to it. Even a MAC address, which is not that much longer is not that memorable. Honestly, don't ask my why I do this, although address predicability comes in handy once in blue moon. Partly, because I can; partly, some sort of control-freakery; partly historical --- when my hosts file was as much inventory-list as anything else.

I guess also that I should look at IPv6, in the spirit of what it can do for me, rather than what it is going to take away.

The new fibre connection had a short period of dropping back to ordinary speeds. Otherwise, I am still enormously chuffed that eventually Airtel fibre reached our backwater and I can see this...

Name:  Screenshot at 20211012 135959.png
Views: 517
Size:  17.9 KB

...Even though, for ordinary browsing, etc, what I had before was more than enough.

*I can fairly much guarantee it. I am a better admin than that! DHCP address range is specified; fixed addresses will never clash with that; I know very well never to have more than one DHCP server on the net.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 12th October 2021 at 14:08.
Old 13th October 2021, 07:11   #2453
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. I can't help being a pessimist about home net security!
I guess I'm attached to IPv4. I can tell you the address of my PC and my phone in my sleep.
I can very much relate to what you are saying, there is some sort of satisfaction keying in that IPv4 adrress into the address bar to connect to the router Being said that, I use a hybrid mode currently. My home router provides both IPv4, also there is an IPv6 pool as well available to the devices who wants to utilise the benefits. I take it very serious when it comes to my home network security. I am running a DOT proxy server, adblock, and VLANs to separate LAN, Guest, & IoT. There is a separate SSID with a dedicated Wireguard tunnel as well which I use sometimes for added security and privacy. Yes, I won't claim it as an unbreakable fort or something, but it definitely can help from the day to day hassles of an "everything is connected" world and at the same time provide the benefits of it.
bhp_maniac is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 16:44   #2454
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
... I take it very serious when it comes to my home network security. I am running a DOT proxy server, adblock, and VLANs to separate LAN, Guest, & IoT. There is a separate SSID with a dedicated Wireguard tunnel as well which I use sometimes for added security and privacy. ...
I forgot the old, and have become lazy about learning the new!

Well, sometimes I think, let's find out about something. It's day will come, and I'll take it on.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 19:12   #2455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Anyway they [Netgear] said to send a copy of my invoice and they will get back to me with a replacement. The invoice clearly says 2 years national warranty, which ends in March 2022 (bought in March 2020). However, they came back to me a day later saying warranty ended in March 2021 (1 year warranty) and the case is closed!

Absolutely fuming, I called up Flipkart, who I had bought it from in the first place. They have a complaints process specifically for when manufacturers deny warranty, took all my details and promised a resolution by October 8th.
An update!

Flipkart came back to me and said please call up Netgear for support, gave me the same number I had already called them on and said they will help you now. I had my doubts but followed through like an obedient child, and lo and behold, the same response: "sorry you only have 1 year warranty!"

Went back to Flipkart, they took some more details and promised a resolution by October 12th. No response by the 13th so sent a follow up email.

Then out of the blue today I received a call from Netgear saying your warranty is now extended till 2023! I said 'that's great, but what about my router issues?' The guy was super helpful and said let me check, came back to me in about 30 seconds and said we are going to replace the router for you, that too with an upgraded model as they don't have the Orbi RBK40 in stock. It is either the RBK50 or 60 that they are going to provide!

Super happy and looking forward to the new hardware. I have received the RMA number and just need to drop off my current router to their partner collection service, after which I am promised delivery of the replacement within 7 days.

So lets see how this goes! If it actually works out I will be quite impressed.
s4ch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 12:35   #2456
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Despite upgrading my ACT internet package to 300mbps, I do not get download speeds (on Wi-Fi) more than 150mbps when I run speed test.
I have the Apple Extreme Wi-Fi router and tried creating a 5Ghz network with the Airport Utility - it does not help with better speeds. Appreciate any help.

The ACT technician squarely blames the Router since he wired the RJ45 directly to the PC (instead of the Router) and the speeds are indeed 300mbps!

Last edited by NPV : 18th October 2021 at 12:37.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 17:01   #2457
Senior - BHPian

Is your the device in which you are checking the wifi speed capped at 150mbps?
Old 18th October 2021, 17:50   #2458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Apple Extreme Wi-Fi router...The ACT technician squarely blames the Router
He might be correct in this case. This is an 2013 era router that has limited support for WiFi ac standards (it supported "Draft" ac standard).

To troubleshoot, can you create a new WiFi network and connect just one device? Does that give any better speed ?
Old 18th October 2021, 21:26   #2459
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Is your the device in which you are checking the wifi speed capped at 150mbps?
No, as mentioned in my post, ACT technician connected the RJ45 directly to the PC and speed test showed 300mbps. Once he connected the RJ45 to the Apple Extreme router and then we ran the speed test on the same PC again but connected to the network on wireless this time, speed drops to <= 150mbps.

I tried again with only 1 device (MacBook) connected to the wireless network and result is same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
He might be correct in this case. This is an 2013 era router that has limited support for WiFi ac standards (it supported "Draft" ac standard).

To troubleshoot, can you create a new WiFi network and connect just one device? Does that give any better speed ?
Checked option+Wifi for wireless network details and ran diagnostics - one thing that it threw up in the summary was that the router wasn't accessible on the LAN, don't know what that means.
The ACT guy said 5Ghz band may be off but that isn't true - shows that macbook connected to the 5ghz network.

I will also try to connect an Ethernet cable directly to the Apple extreme but I don't think that's necessary since I assume it will show closer to 300mbps, the real problem here is Wireless speeds.

Last edited by NPV : 18th October 2021 at 21:29.
Old 18th October 2021, 23:01   #2460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I tried again with only 1 device (MacBook) connected to the wireless network and result is same.
Which model of Macbook is this ? Do you get similar speeds on other devices as well ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks