Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2021, 18:31   #2491
Senior - BHPian

Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
I am getting good signal on the first floor common area. That’s why I plan to put the extender here , so that I get enough signal on the first floor bedrooms.
That should work. Get a good quality extender (Like TP Link RE650) . If you are getting 100 mbps on first floor, this should give you close to 100 mbps in second floor as well.

For best results, pulling a LAN cable to first floor is the only option. But 100 mbps might be good enough for most cases.
Old 26th October 2021, 19:55   #2492
BHPian

So the TpLink 300N got delivered yesterday. I set it up and placed in the open area on the first floor and voila all the bedrooms on the first floor are getting full range. Operated my TV with FireStick on the first floor without any buffering.
inder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 20:10   #2493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
That should work. Get a good quality extender (Like TP Link RE650) . If you are getting 100 mbps on first floor, this should give you close to 100 mbps in second floor as well.

For best results, pulling a LAN cable to first floor is the only option. But 100 mbps might be good enough for most cases.
Extender TP Link RE650 is really High Class
Old 18th November 2021, 16:03   #2494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sramven View Post
Bought the tplink deco M4 for a one floor 2000 sq ft home. Bought 2 pack and works like a charm.

My friend got a 3 pack for 2 floor individual house, same model. works like a charm.
I have a 2 floor with 2800 sq ft area approx. I am looking to buy a mesh network and being a complete noob in these aspects, need help in deciding Deco X20 2 pack 4000 sq ft vs Deco M5 2 pack 3800 sq ft.

Also can i add another unit of same Deco later if I find 2 pack not sufficient?

KK
Old 18th November 2021, 17:25   #2495

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
I have a 2 floor with 2800 sq ft area approx. I am looking to buy a mesh network and being a complete noob in these aspects, need help in deciding Deco X20 2 pack 4000 sq ft vs Deco M5 2 pack 3800 sq ft.

Also can i add another unit of same Deco later if I find 2 pack not sufficient?

KK
Get the Deco M5 3 pack instead. My house has slightly bigger dimensions than yours but the 3 pack covers both floors very well. I get around around 80-150 Mbps everywhere on the house which is good enough for anything really. If you want greater than 200 Mbps, get the M9 which has a dedicated 5Ghz backhaul. I’m assuming you won’t run ethernet backhaul here. If you do, then just get the M5s.

And yes, you can mix and match new Decos into the system when you buy them later.
Gokuljayaraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 20:14   #2496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokuljayaraj View Post
Get the Deco M5 3 pack instead. My house has slightly bigger dimensions than yours but the 3 pack covers both floors very well. I get around around 80-150 Mbps everywhere on the house which is good enough for anything really. If you want greater than 200 Mbps, get the M9 which has a dedicated 5Ghz backhaul. I’m assuming you won’t run ethernet backhaul here. If you do, then just get the M5s.

And yes, you can mix and match new Decos into the system when you buy them later.
Thanks for your revert. Deco M5 3 pack it is. But not aware of what is ethernet backhaul, I just want to use it along with my ACT connection, which has a Tenda router.

Anything specific I have to be aware of? downsides of M5?

KK

Edit - M9 Plus 2 pack is coming at 13499 on Croma, after bank discount it will be 13k, does it make sense to go for 2 pack M9 Plus instead of 3 pack M5 (costs 14.5k).

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 18th November 2021 at 20:23.
Old 18th November 2021, 22:35   #2497
BHPian

Quote:
Been using Deco M5 (3 pack) for over a year now. Has worked seamlessly and without any issues whatsoever. Easy to install and control via the TP Link app. Can't say much about M9 Plus but I guess it makes more sense to take a 3 pack than a 2 pack. Do take other reviews into consideration.
sanmish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 19:18   #2498

Quote:
Thanks for your revert. Deco M5 3 pack it is. But not aware of what is ethernet backhaul, I just want to use it along with my ACT connection, which has a Tenda router.

KK

Edit - M9 Plus 2 pack is coming at 13499 on Croma, after bank discount it will be 13k, does it make sense to go for 2 pack M9 Plus instead of 3 pack M5 (costs 14.5k).
I suggest getting the M5 3 pack. I’m not sure if M9 plus will actually fully cover your house at the speeds you probably want.

Regarding ethernet backhaul, you can operate a mesh network in two ways. All nodes connected wirelessly (this is what most people do) or run ethernet cables from node 1 to a switch and then to other two nodes. This provides the highest performance but it’s not the most convenient as you probably don’t have ethernet lines in your home . A ethernet backhauled mesh network is very scalable (think IT offices). While for wireless mesh, part of the wifi bandwidth is lost to carry the data for node to node.

For your use case, plus a ethernet cable from your Tenda router to the node 1 and place the other two nodes where you like. It’s simple as that. Remember to turn off WiFi from the Tenda router after your mesh is setup l.
Gokuljayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 20:38   #2499
BHPian

I hope some of our members can help me out:

i am building a new house in a small farm house scheme and would like to ensure that wifi is available all over. The wiring has yet to be done so there is scope to install such equipment as may be desirable to ensure good connectivity. The house is spralling and large, spread over two floors.
  1. while i shall ensure that CAT6 cables are installed in all bedrooms and study for ensuring efficient connectivity.
  2. What wifi system should i use for other areas and for phone, i pad connectivity?
  3. Would a "nest" system be ideal or are there any other better systems?
Would appreciate if someone could guide me since the wiring has not yet been done and there is still scope to hardwire, if required.
Old 27th November 2021, 12:38   #2500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
The house is spralling and large, spread over two floors
I use an Aimesh system with two routers from Asus. I had also recommended Asus to many of my friends and family and they are satisfied.

I use cat6 ethernet cable as the backhaul.

Here is an interesting video about Aimesh:
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 17:00   #2501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I use an Aimesh system with two routers from Asus. I had also recommended Asus to many of my friends and family and they are satisfied.
Thank you. Seems quite interesting. Shall check it out. How does it rate with the Google mesh system?
Old 27th November 2021, 18:53   #2502
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
while i shall ensure that CAT6 cables are installed in all bedrooms and study for ensuring efficient connectivity.
This should help fix most reachability issues. First things first, I would suggest to make sure to keep the modem/router different WI AP system. That helps.

Any Wifi Mesh (5 or 6) should be good given you have strong ethernet running in the house. You can use them for backhauling as well. Do look at mesh systems support ethernet backhaul.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 19:52   #2503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I would suggest to make sure to keep the modem/router different WI AP system.
Lost you there.
Old 27th November 2021, 20:05   #2504
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Lost you there.
The Modem/Router and the Wifi access point/network hardware usually are one device (plus the satellite devices). My point was to keep the modem separate (one which the ISP provides). And connect it to the Wifi Mesh System which you procure separately. So that way you keep the two separate.

Last edited by ampere : 27th November 2021 at 20:26.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 21:57   #2505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
My point was to keep the modem separate (one which the ISP provides). And connect it to the Wifi Mesh System which you procure separately. So that way you keep the two separate.
I have done the same thing. I have switched off WiFi on my jiofiber modem. It connects to only one device through the ethernet cable which is my primary aimesh asus router. The asus aimesh system manages all my other connected devices.

Now jio cannot know what are all the devices I have connected, etc. which is a good thing.

Now I am not an expert but with my limited knowledge, jiofiber does not allow bridge mode and I cannot turn off its DHCP server, and so my aimesh system is double NAT'ed (or triple?) which has its own problems?

My Sony PS4 connection status says "NAT Type = Type 2", and everything works fine so I'm okay with my current setup

Last edited by manim : 27th November 2021 at 21:59.
manim is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks