Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2015, 22:28   #1096
Distinguished - BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

I had been using BSNL broadband for quite some time now. It used to give me service (pathetic would be an understatement). Lately, since last couple of months, it was not working. Finally my patience gave way yesterday and I took a Reliance 3G connection. Its working like a charm but I'm facing an issue. I had an iBall dongle and started using it. Problem is that it works perfectly with Windows7 but doesn't work with Windows8. I concur its due to incompatibility of the dongle with Windows8. So I need to change my dongle. I would like to buy a Wifi dongle/router which would be used as a wifi connection at home. How can it be done? Is there a router wherein I can put in the sim card and the 3G works as a wifi network in home?
Old 29th August 2015, 10:32   #1097
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Is there a router wherein I can put in the sim card and the 3G works as a wifi network in home?
Search for "wifi router 3g" on Amazon / Flipkart. Quite a few routers support these dongles.

Do check reviews for compatibility with a specific dongle before purchasing.
Old 3rd September 2015, 16:02   #1098
BHPian

Guys, I recently bought this wifi range extender from TP-LINK - WA850RE as i was encountering dead wifi zones in my house. It is money well spent. Got it for Rs.1750 from Amazon. Made a small review on it.

Last edited by aah78 : 8th September 2015 at 21:31. Reason: Post edited for grammar & spell-check.
Old 4th September 2015, 19:46   #1099
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawabnabeel View Post
Guys, I recently bought this wifi range extender from TP-LINK - WA850RE as i was encountering dead wifi zones in my house. It is money well spent. Got it for Rs.1750 from Amazon. Made a small review on it.
Thanks for the review, does it has good range, as I was using Dlink now and it has frequent disconnection. And moreover it reduces the speed to almost 50%.

Last edited by aah78 : 8th September 2015 at 21:31. Reason: Quote edited. YouTube link removed.
Old 8th September 2015, 08:08   #1100
BHPian

Guys, I just switched from Bsnl to ACT lightning pack yesterday.
60gb at 20mbps and 25gb extra free per month. Works to about 1250 power month.

Now iam looking for a good WiFi router within a 2k budget.
The Bsnl modem used to be on the 2nd floor and it used to give good range even till the ground floor because it's placed next to a window. The act connection has also been given at the same location.
Which router do you guys suggest?

Last edited by vibhu_f430 : 8th September 2015 at 08:12.
Old 8th September 2015, 11:30   #1101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibhu_f430 View Post
The Bsnl modem used to be on the 2nd floor and it used to give good range even till the ground floor because it's placed next to a window.

You can reuse the same Bsnl modem router if it was your own and not a rental. You need to tinker with the settings for it to work in router mode only and not as an adsl modem cum router.
Old 8th September 2015, 14:34   #1102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
You can reuse the same Bsnl modem router if it was your own and not a rental. You need to tinker with the settings for it to work in router mode only and not as an adsl modem cum router.
The Bsnl modern had reached the end of it's life actually. I had to keep restarting the modern to get connected. Also I think it was on rent only, but so far no one has come to retrieve it.
So I need a new router and I have no idea which one I should buy.
Old 8th September 2015, 14:55   #1103
BHPian

Which Wi-Fi Router?

Quote:
So I need a new router and I have no idea which one I should buy.

Any good brand router with N300 should be good - eg belkin, linksys, asus, netgear. I have the first three and am currently using the belkin in slightly high volume environment with about 50 devices connected and it is performing admirably. I have this http://www.amazon.in/Belkin-300Mbps-...pid=B0045HG53K model. It is lot cheaper in the markets and maybe other sites too.

Last edited by diyguy : 8th September 2015 at 15:02.
Old 8th September 2015, 15:27   #1104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I just switched from Bsnl to ACT lightning pack yesterday.
60gb at 20mbps and 25gb extra free per month. Works to about 1250 power month.

Now iam looking for a good WiFi router within a 2k budget.
The Bsnl modem used to be on the 2nd floor and it used to give good range even till the ground floor because it's placed next to a window. The act connection has also been given at the same location.
Which router do you guys suggest?
I have TP-LINK TL-WR841N 300Mbps Wireless N Router, purchased from Amazon. I use ACT Broadband at Chennai and use three devices (Office Laptop, personal Laptop and phone) simultaneously. I am pretty happy with the product.
Old 8th September 2015, 16:57   #1105
Senior - BHPian

Does its 'antenna-less' design not hamper performance? I've seen new ones with four or more antennas. Just checking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Any good brand router with N300 should be good - eg belkin, linksys, asus, netgear. I have the first three and am currently using the belkin in slightly high volume environment with about 50 devices connected and it is performing admirably. I have this http://www.amazon.in/Belkin-300Mbps-...pid=B0045HG53K model. It is lot cheaper in the markets and maybe other sites too.
Old 8th September 2015, 19:33   #1106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Does its 'antenna-less' design not hamper performance? I've seen new ones with four or more antennas. Just checking.

It works in a heavy load environment in our lab at work with 30 concurrent users at any time and peaks at about 50 and without any issue. This is my experience on this model and am sure the more expensive models with multiple antennas will do a better job. I was trying to recommend a model close to the budget mentioned (2k)
Old 8th September 2015, 21:00   #1107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
I had been using BSNL broadband for quite some time now. It used to give me service (pathetic would be an understatement). Lately, since last couple of months, it was not working. Finally my patience gave way yesterday and I took a Reliance 3G connection. Its working like a charm but I'm facing an issue. I had an iBall dongle and started using it. Problem is that it works perfectly with Windows7 but doesn't work with Windows8. I concur its due to incompatibility of the dongle with Windows8. So I need to change my dongle. I would like to buy a Wifi dongle/router which would be used as a wifi connection at home. How can it be done? Is there a router wherein I can put in the sim card and the 3G works as a wifi network in home?
My Dlink 2750 has a USB port which can connect to a 3G internet connection and route it to connected devices. However I am not sure how the two networks are prioritized since I haven't tried plugging in a dongle. I only use the port as a storage port and for a printer. Both works without complaints.
Old 10th September 2015, 12:48   #1108
BHPian

Is there a 4G router for airtel dongle? Else if I get a 4G Wifi dongle can I connect it thru a range extender?

Regards
Kiran
Old 18th September 2015, 13:19   #1109
Senior - BHPian

I have a BSNL broadband and recently tried a TP-Link W8968 router,however the performance was not upto the mark and I had to return it.

So put the old BSNL (WA3002G4) router back on and for a few days everything was ok. Offlate,however I get a lot of errors each time I browse

DNS probe finshed nxdomain
DNS probe finished bad config
ERR Name not resolved

This happens both on laptop and my android devices at home.

So far i've tried the following and none have worked.
  • Changing preferred DNS and alternate DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4,obtain DNS automatically,DNS suggested by BSNL.
  • Running following commands through CMD-ipconfig, ipconfig /flushdns, netsh winsack reset
  • Reset router to factory settings and reconfigured
  • Kept router off for a few mins and retried

It seems fine for a few minutes but then I get this error. Its not restricted to chrome alone, I can't access the net at all once I get these errors.

I've raised a complaint with BSNL but I doubt they'll be of much help here.

What else can be done to restore uninterrupted net connectivity ? Its really frustrating to do this very 15 mins

Last edited by shashank.nk : 18th September 2015 at 13:20.
Old 18th September 2015, 14:57   #1110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Changing preferred DNS and alternate DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4,obtain DNS automatically,DNS suggested by BSNL.
Did you do this on the router or on the PC?

I'm a fan of manual IP configuration on all but mobile devices,, but it is a bit, "hey, this is the way I've always done it!" and shouldn't be necessary, but, if something is happening with your router/ISP DNS, it might fix it.

Most Viewed