Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2015, 15:09   #1126
Distinguished - BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
try reset, reboot, enter your broadband user details, then again reboot. Check if there are any software updates and follow same procedure.
The point is that the Netgear D6300 is by far the most tedious modem/router to administer that I have ever seen, including other Netgear models.

There is a firmware update. I hesitate to apply it, as I have heard of these wretched things loosing all the setup information. . The update concerns security issues, so I really, really should.

Anyway, Airtel fixed the fault. The modem/router works, and cost far too much to write off to experience just because I hate it!

~
Old 4th October 2015, 00:48   #1127
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxmanju View Post
What you need is a WiFi router. Modem is required only of you have DSL line. I have been using TP link and it works well and priced competitively as well.
Which TP Link model number should I buy? Are prices different online and locally?
Old 4th October 2015, 09:46   #1128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Which TP Link model number should I buy? Are prices different online and locally?
The one what I have is a WR720N, that's an old model, pick the one which has Ethernet port and has support for PPPOE.

Online prices are a bit cheaper but only around 100 /150 Rs.
Old 4th October 2015, 10:54   #1129
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxmanju View Post
The one what I have is a WR720N, that's an old model, pick the one which has Ethernet port and has support for PPPOE.

Online prices are a bit cheaper but only around 100 /150 Rs.

Is this good - http://www.amazon.in/TP-LINK-TL-WR84...dp/B001FWYGJS/
Old 4th October 2015, 12:45   #1130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Yup, that should work well for your requirements.
Old 4th October 2015, 19:06   #1131
BHPian

Asus RT-AC51U first impressions.

I was using the ISP provided router for wifi solutions. Although it used to work flawlessly for its basic purpose, I felt I needed additional features. Mainly I was looking for parental controls to restrict my kids time on the internet and facility to download bittorrent files even when the pc is off. First feature is provided by many manufacturers but the second is available only with Asus routers.

So with my budget I short listed RT-AC51U router. This was cheapest one from Asus that offered AC standard. I was looking to have something for future standard as well. Also, it is a dual band router having concurrent 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands.

It's been 3 days since I have configured it. Only initial impressions.

1. Set up is quite easy. The Asus UI is good.
2. I have configured 2 SSIDs, for 2.4 and 5 ghz bands. 2.4 ghz is assigned to mobile phones and tablet. 5 ghz is assigned to laptops and smart TV.
3. I have tried to compare signal strength with old router and Asus router at multiple spots inside my apartment. There is hardly any gain with the new one. But then strength was never an issue or requirement. Used Wifi analytics app from google play store.
4. Parental controls, they are working fine. Just that it has either on or off setting and not website wise controls.
5. Bittorrent download tested. Works fine but then it has basic functionalities compared to what you see with utorrent.
6. The most interesting feature that I have discovered is the media server. Although I knew it would be there I was not too sure how it would perform. Tested it yesterday night to watch a full HD movie on smart TV from NAS hard disk connected to router. Works well. But it suffered from buffering when I connected it 2.4ghz. I think it needs 5 ghz band only. Some issues that I faced were mostly with TV detecting the router. Possibly it could be hardware issue with TV.
If I can make it work well it would definitely make life easier when earlier I had to copy file from pc to external hard disk and then plug it in TV.

Yet to test the AiCloud feature which basically allows you to access your data from your home NAS through internet as long as you have data connection.
Old 9th October 2015, 13:09   #1132
BHPian

Guys
I basically use the Airtel broadband provided modem in Chennai. It gives me option to connect 4 devices with very limited range across rooms.
Here are my requirements:
1. Unlimited # of concurrent wifi connections to my devices
2. Should work with Airtel/BSNL/X/Y/Z
3. Good range across 1500 SqFt flat.

What are your suggestions please.

Thanks !!
Old 9th October 2015, 14:14   #1133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by polopm View Post
Guys
I basically use the Airtel broadband provided modem in Chennai.

Here is a very versatile modem cum router. Can be used in router only mode as well and supports dongles etc too. You should get an additional router and wire it between the ends of your house for good coverage is my recommendation as that is what I did after many years of wireless repeating etc
However first try with one router and then take a call.
On Wi-Fi & Routers-imageuploadedbyteambhp1444380257.924726.jpg
Old 9th October 2015, 14:32   #1134
Senior - BHPian

I am trying to set up a DLink 2750U (Version C1). It is an old firmware but it provides better range with 2 antennas as compared to 1 on my beetel (free from Airtel). Moreover it can connect more than 4 users.

I followed the instructions to the T from a couple of forums, but it still did not connect. Now I have no clue what is going wrong.
http://www.jaideep.net/2012/06/confi...outer-for.html
http://www.netvuze.com/2013/06/dsl-b...ion-dlink.html

The two lights on the right side remain red.
I ensured I used VPI 1 & VCI 32 for Airtel but still no luck

Tried multiple times and once even reset the modem and configured again. What could be going wrong?

EDIT: Do I have to inform Airtel that I intend to change the Modem/router? Is it something to do at Airtel's end?

I had connected the same Modem/router to BSNL line couple of weeks back and it worked fine. It just doesnt work on the Airtel.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 9th October 2015 at 14:36.
Old 9th October 2015, 14:41   #1135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
I am trying to set up a DLink 2750U (Version C1). It is an old firmware but it provides better range with 2 antennas as compared to 1 on my beetel (free from Airtel). Moreover it can connect more than 4 users.

The two lights on the right side remain red.
I ensured I used VPI 1 & VCI 32 for Airtel but still no luck

I had connected the same Modem/router to BSNL line couple of weeks back and it worked fine. It just doesnt work on the Airtel.
I have the 2750 too and I did the same thing a month back. However, I used the CD provided with the modem to setup the connection with airtel and it was flawless. It was running BSNL previously.

Do a reset and connect the modem via ethernet after running the setup software on the CD. It has all the required settings preset and once you choose the connection as airtel from the menu, the only thing it will ask you is the user name and password of your airtel account. After that the whole configuration is taken care by the software.
Old 9th October 2015, 14:52   #1136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Do a reset and connect the modem via ethernet after running the setup software on the CD. It has all the required settings preset and once you choose the connection as airtel from the menu, the only thing it will ask you is the user name and password of your airtel account. After that the whole configuration is taken care by the software.
Do not have the CD. Any alternatives?
Old 9th October 2015, 15:34   #1137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Do not have the CD. Any alternatives?
Call the Airtel guys and they will come do it for you.
Old 9th October 2015, 18:50   #1138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Call the Airtel guys and they will come do it for you.
Shot a mail. Received a call from the technical team within 2 hours. Splendid.
Since I am at office, asked him to explain each step. He did. I anyways had the entire setup steps by heart, having done them a few times.

Apparently the missing link was "@airtelbroadband.in" to be suffixed to the username. Will try it out once I reach home. Should work.
Old 12th October 2015, 10:49   #1139
Senior - BHPian

Netgear R7000 Nighthawk for Rs 5000, excellent deal for someone looking for a powerful router.

http://www.flipkart.com/netgear-r700...mdykuhkey6hkph
Old 12th October 2015, 17:19   #1140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Netgear R7000 Nighthawk for Rs 5000, excellent deal for someone looking for a powerful router.

http://www.flipkart.com/netgear-r700...mdykuhkey6hkph
75% off! Now that's what I call a bargain. That's a decent compensation for putting up with Netgear's horrible user interface. Don't know where it stands in the performance ratings, but, at that price, should be worth it if it works!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks