Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2015, 19:28   #1081
Senior - BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
Nitrous...

Why dont you do for Tp Link 8960N router,its 300mbps dual antenna router and uses a broadcom chipset.

Over the asus i feel this would be better as the dual antenna would provide good coverage.

Its currently retailing for 1600.00 on FK and i think its bang for the buck.
Cheers for the suggestion.
I will try to change my order if I can.
Old 20th August 2015, 19:15   #1082
BHPian

Need advice.
I am currently using a Asus RT-N13U (Rev B1), bought in mid 2011. For the last few days, the router is refusing to connect to one of my laptops and one mobile. All other laptops or mobiles connect at one time or another. Note I am not connecting 5-6 devices at once. Even if I disconnect all devices, the router still fails to see one specific laptop and one specific mobile. Up till now, all devices were identified and connected, this problem has only happened in the last few days.
I have done factory resets, reloaded the firmware, but to no avail. What could be the problem?

IF I have to replace the router, what are the latest hot models.
Would be connecting two laptops and 5 mobiles. Note all 7 devices COULD be connected at once, so need a router with large device connectivity options.
Area to cover is approx 2000 sq ft.
I have a direct ethernet connection, so modem element not required.

Kindly suggest
Old 20th August 2015, 19:29   #1083
Senior - BHPian

Google is getting into WiFi router business - https://on.google.com/hub/

It's $200 and starts to ship from August 31st.

On Wi-Fi & Routers-onhubgoogle.png
Old 20th August 2015, 20:18   #1084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post

Attachment 1405539
Not impressive, just 1 LAN Port, No mention of VPN support.
Old 21st August 2015, 05:31   #1085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
Need advice.

I am currently using a Asus RT-N13U (Rev B1), bought in mid 2011. For the last few days, the router is refusing to connect to one of my laptops and one mobile.

Kindly suggest

This happens to me too. Try going into the wireless settings and set wireless channel to 6 with channel width to 20Mhz. This sorted out my issue.
Old 21st August 2015, 12:42   #1086
BHPian

Looks like my current wifi router has gone kaput (Netgear WNR614). Even if I stand in front of it, I don't get signals sometimes. Plus, the range is bad - I get poor connectivity in my bedroom (while the router is placed in living room).

Looking for a wifi router (no modem) with a good range for a 3 bhk (1500 sqft) house. Budget is around 3k. USB ports will be a good to have feature (not a necessity).

We got 2 laptops, 1 smart TV, 2-3 phones, tablet - so router should be able to handle them.

Any suggestions?
Old 21st August 2015, 14:44   #1087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
This happens to me too. Try going into the wireless settings and set wireless channel to 6 with channel width to 20Mhz. This sorted out my issue.
Worked a treat and solved the problem.
I wonder what the issue could have been? For years it has been on 'auto' for channel. Oh well, at least I am connected again.

Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 14:52   #1088
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
Worked a treat and solved the problem.
I wonder what the issue could have been?
Same thing with me. I believe there is a clash between neighboring routers and maybe cordless phones that causes this. I have 3 routers myself at home and two are usually always on and third is a backup for my airtel line, which I switch on when youbroadband fails. Also newer Hardware of laptop is another thing I suspect. My iphone 6+ sees all routers but my HP laptop is finicky...
Old 21st August 2015, 19:24   #1089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
Hi guys,
After a lot of thinking i finally picked up the TP LInk 8960N over the d link4750U,
mainly went in for 8960 for its broadcom chipset.
======
One of the reason why i didnt go for d link was i wasnt sure what chip they were using and also read some horror stories about its setup not being so friendly.
Sir, you should try openwrt on your router. I used it on my dlink router and it is much better than the actual firmware.

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/td-w8960n
Old 25th August 2015, 14:01   #1090
mxx
BHPian

Can anyone suggest a good ac dual band modem router? I dont want anything very expensive. Something which will work fine in a medium sized appartment
Old 25th August 2015, 15:08   #1091
Distinguished - BHPian

A good wireless repeater, anyone? Need to amplify my signal upstairs without spending more than 2k.
Old 25th August 2015, 15:49   #1092
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
A good wireless repeater, anyone? Need to amplify my signal upstairs without spending more than 2k.
Off topic, I used to wirelessly repeat my net connection between 3 routers in my house - one on first floor and two on the ground floor. I have since graduated to wire connectivity between my wireless routers. This gives me reliable connections and high speed in every room of my house. It is also very cost effective as the cable cost is about 4-6rs a meter (alloy vs copper) if you buy a roll and if you stick to cat 5 (100Mbps) it is typically sufficient for most purposes.
If wiring is not feasible, then you can use a wireless router to wirelessly connect to your main router to repeat the SSID in different areas of your house.
Old 25th August 2015, 15:56   #1093
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks, CAT5 wiring will be very messy so had considered and dropped the idea. Looking for a plug and play wireless solution via a repeater.

I already use the TP-Link W8968 router. Any ideas if the TP-Link wireless repeaters are good? If not, which brand? Don't want to spend more than 2k. Need WPS compulsorily as a feature.
Old 25th August 2015, 16:47   #1094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post

Attachment 1405539
Interesting! Would the passwords and settings be stored locally or on some google server ?

I thought they were caught for capturing wifi data, and now they release a product thats going to be sitting as a gateway to the internet in every home.

That said I like the design.
Old 25th August 2015, 17:13   #1095
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I already use the TP-Link W8968 router. Any ideas if the TP-Link wireless repeaters are good? If not, which brand? Don't want to spend more than 2k. Need WPS compulsorily as a feature.
TP Link have proved to be good both technically as well as warranty wise in my recent experience. But I cannot vouch for any specific repeater model. I have used Linksys, Asus and Netgear with DD-WRT firmware to do the repeating wirelessly in my house. The issue I faced was with dropped connections between the routers. I had another friend who tried a few models of repeaters to share internet between storeys in his apartment complex, wirelessly, but he faced the same issue with dropped connections and having to physically restart the repeaters etc. He tried
http://www.amazon.com/Tp-link-Tl-wr7.../dp/B005LN27K2
and
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005D5M136

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks