Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2016, 16:10   #1231
Distinguished - BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
For the cheaper routers, I guess so. I have a netgear R6220 and early on when I bought it, I needed to do an ASAP firmware upgrade as a new firmware with security fixes had been released.

The router happily bricked itself during this firmware upgrade - even without any power outage.

I called Netgear, and after walking me through a bunch of factory reset procedures I'd already tried, they agreed to RMA it, gave me a brand new router. Only problem (sort of) was that I had to drive about 20 km away to their service center to pick up the replacement piece and deposit my bricked router.
My router wasn't in warranty and obviously couldn't be replaced. The reason I called Linksys support is because I couldn't load the firmware file even in the recovery mode. It kept giving me incorrect file errors.

Thing is, Linksys has begun to pull off all downloads related to legacy devices off their sites making a user depend on 3rd party download sites that may/may not carry the OEM firmware. So, if your device has been discontinued good luck in getting even older versions of the FW or manuals.
Old 19th January 2016, 16:44   #1232
BHPian

I am using ACT broadband with basic Netgear 150 router. All my devices gets full up / down speed (10 mbps) where as my Laptop is very slow and gets only 1 mbps. If i connect my laptop through a mobile tethering which in turn connect to the same wifi network, then Laptop is much faster. I have tried troubleshooting with many options, but i am not able to resolve. I have tried changing the MTU size in the router configuration as per the guides available, still not able to resolve. Any help please?
Old 19th January 2016, 17:33   #1233
Distinguished - BHPian

Just used this guide to flash Asus Merlin + XVortex (Cross Vortex) firmware on my EA6900 using this fabulous guide

http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php...-ea6900.71718/

The router is up and running with the same firmware as my Asus router without the proprietary and/or licensed features like AIProtection, Adaptive QOS and some other bits. I think I'll also lose the USB3 port (works at USB2 speeds due to a driver licensing issue) but it's OK, I don't intend using this router as a media server. Just love the reboot scheduler.

Been a long time since I tried developer firmware on my routers. The last time was many, many years go - Sveasoft on a Linksys WRT54G

PS - Makes this router so much more usable! Wow! That OEM firmware was awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
I am using ACT broadband with basic Netgear 150 router. All my devices gets full up / down speed (10 mbps) where as my Laptop is very slow and gets only 1 mbps. If i connect my laptop through a mobile tethering which in turn connect to the same wifi network, then Laptop is much faster. I have tried troubleshooting with many options, but i am not able to resolve. I have tried changing the MTU size in the router configuration as per the guides available, still not able to resolve. Any help please?
Don't mess with the MTU unless you know what you're doing. Since you're behind a firewall and on a wired or wireless LAN you do not need to change the MTU. MTU changes are required only when you use PPPoE/PPPoA software to connect. Your router does that for you now so leave the MTU value at default i.e. 1500

Now, coming to your download speed. What "speed" is this? The link speed from your laptop to the router? Or download speeds in Mb from the Internet to your PC or from 1 PC on the WiFi LAN to another?

Last edited by R2D2 : 19th January 2016 at 17:43. Reason: Added comments
Old 19th January 2016, 18:05   #1234
Distinguished - BHPian

Does any one know of compatible modems to use with BSNL FTTH connections ?
Old 19th January 2016, 18:42   #1235
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Does any one know of compatible modems to use with BSNL FTTH connections ?
If it's FTTH BSNL will give you an optical modem AKA ONT. The RJ45 output from this needs to be plugged into your broadband router. If they don't check this out: http://www.flipkart.com/tenda-epon-o...CBZhoC68nw_wcB

Before purchase, please check with BSNL to make sure it is compatible.
Old 20th January 2016, 09:12   #1236
BHPian

Mod note: Post Edited to fix Quotes, please do a Preview before Submitting Posts. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
The router needs a minute or two to boot up. Once switched on just wait for a while. Then make sure your PC has an IP address, I assume you don't have a static IP configured. Go to the admin command prompt (Windows key + X followed by A), type in "ipconfig /release" and press enter. Then "ipconfig /renew", press enter. Make sure you omit the " marks. Open your browser and type in 192.168.0.1 press enter. This should work.

I tried doing this but it's not working.

Please help...

Last edited by Jaggu : 20th January 2016 at 09:55. Reason: Fixing quote.
Old 20th January 2016, 10:23   #1237
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Rider View Post
I tried doing this but it's not working. Please help...
I don't understand what "not working" means. Please be a little more descriptive about what you see on the screen! 2 word problem statements don't help me to identify the issue.

Have you tried to ping the router? Open a command prompt, type in ping 192.168.0.1. Tell me what you see.

No response? Try resetting the router. On the back there's a small button WPS/Reset use a toothpick/pin and keep that button pressed in for about 10 seconds when the router is powered on. The box will reset, wait for it to boot up and try the previously mentioned procedure again.

If a reset doesn't work, there could be a manufacturing or firmware fault, send it in for a replacement.

Also, have you tried replacing your network cable with another? Do you see 2 small LED lights flickering near the network port on the PC and router?
Old 20th January 2016, 10:33   #1238
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Rider View Post
Mod note: Post Edited to fix Quotes, please do a Preview before Submitting Posts. Thanks.

I tried doing this but it's not working.

Please help...
Try 192.168.1.1.
I remember one of my routers from either MTNL or reliance was a tplink, and I have used both IP to access admin panel at different times.
Old 20th January 2016, 17:16   #1239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Of course if you brick your router when flashing a third party firmware (happens even to experienced users, and the possibility of retrieving your router by a factory reset is complex - several pages of instructions) you don't have any guarantee etc.
Well I took 3-4 days' time to research and arrive upon the firmware to flash, the detailed process (into custom and back to stock), and the exact stable version from hundreds of builds. If it is done impulsively, the chances of bricking the router is very high, the success rate of this process is even less than flashing a custom ROM on your Android phone, which I have been doing many times over the years.

Quote:
The OEM firmware leaves much to be desired.
Exactly, especially on TP-LINK mid-range models, even on Archer C8, C9 etc.

Experimenting with OpenVPN was the most interesting bit. The idea was to make it possible to connect to OpenVPN server running in your home router from office network and to be able to browse blocked URLs. It is not just fun but also a learning exercise.

Another interesting use case was to control the TV at home from my mobile, when sitting in office. If my daughter ends up watching TV for hours, I can turn it off or actiavate the lock remotely. And I can see the results right through the IP cam installed in the living room!

Last edited by clevermax : 20th January 2016 at 17:36.
Old 20th January 2016, 18:23   #1240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Experimenting with OpenVPN was the most interesting bit. The idea was to make it possible to connect to OpenVPN server running in your home router from office network and to be able to browse blocked URLs.
I actually have IPSec VPN between home and office. A lot better than OpenVPN because I can use all my devices - laptop, phones, tab - both ways. This was the primary reason I splurged on a TL-ER604W (the other reason was its ability to multiplex between two ISPs).

One recent use-case is when I could print my F-I-L's ticket on my home printer while I was at office.

Quote:
If my daughter ends up watching TV for hours [...] And I can see the results right through the IP cam installed in the living room
Bit of privacy violation, if you ask me.
Old 20th January 2016, 19:08   #1241
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Exactly, especially on TP-LINK mid-range models, even on Archer C8, C9 etc..
For me this was on the Linksys EA6900, a so called (and former) top-of-the-heap AC1900 router. It had the worst firmware I've ever seen.

BTW Linksys traditionally makes pretty lousy firmware. Even TP Link is much better. But the FW on the EA series is the pits, even by Linksys' low standards. I have another Linksys to upgrade, an EA6500, but this one looks to be pretty straightforward by comparison.

Their so called smart EA series routers are anything but smart. Frankly, stay away from them. Not recommended at all unless you are willing to flash 3rd party FW. Have used Linksys, Netgear, TP Link & Asus routers and APs. The best OEM firmware I've seen is on Asus products.

Quote:
Another interesting use case was to control the TV at home from my mobile, when sitting in office.
That's a neat trick. I intend installing a home security system soon and will pick your brains for suggestions, if you don't mind that is.
Old 20th January 2016, 23:36   #1242
BHPian

Quote:
I have tried troubleshooting with many options
did you try changing the wireless channel? I've known channel 6 and 11 to be usually the preferred and less prone to interference. You should also try on another wifi network to see if you face similar issues there. Then it could need a driver update on your laptop (unlikely scenario though I think)
Old 22nd January 2016, 09:54   #1243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's a neat trick. I intend installing a home security system soon and will pick your brains for suggestions, if you don't mind that is.
Sure why not. But let me tell you that I don't have a full fledged home surveillance system in place, like an Axis video encoder and few network cameras or anything like that.

What I have is one IP camera installed in the living room, since our servant babysits our daughter when we are at office. I have set port forwarding and DDNS on my router to view the camera from anywhere. It detects motion and records the videos in its own sdcard and on an FTP share on my WD MyCloud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Bit of privacy violation, if you ask me.
My kid is 6 years and she has been told that we can view the room through the cam anytime, and so far she is fine with it

And since she knows what this device is for, sometimes I get to see things like this:

On Wi-Fi & Routers-cam_stgcam_20152217_112224.403.jpg

Last edited by clevermax : 22nd January 2016 at 10:06.
Old 22nd January 2016, 10:53   #1244
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sure why not. But let me tell you that I don't have a full fledged home surveillance system in place, like an Axis video encoder and few network cameras or anything like that.
I am still undecided on the # of pieces and the cost. Not looking at anything fancy, just 3-4 network IP cameras near the main and other doors. I may or may not add a DVR later.

I plan to utilize the wired Gb network to provide stable connectivity (can't trust WiFi) to the main router/gateway and then on to the Internet. Need remote access for sure and possibly even remote configuration.
Old 22nd January 2016, 12:18   #1245
BHPian

Quote:
Check the speed and duplexing in Ethernet properties. It should be set to auto. If that doesn't work, then set it to 100Mbps full duplex. This should solve the problem. Don't mess with the MTU or any router setting. Pm me if you need any help

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks