Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2015, 18:26   #1141
BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
75% off! Now that's what I call a bargain. That's a decent compensation for putting up with Netgear's horrible user interface. Don't know where it stands in the performance ratings, but, at that price, should be worth it if it works!
Price back up now. Missed it. Wonder if they will actually deliver orders placed at the Rs 4999 price!
Old 12th October 2015, 18:28   #1142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
Price back up now. Missed it. Wonder if they will actually deliver orders placed at the Rs 4999 price!
Its still showing as 4999 and available to me now. This deal has been online since 24 hours now, lots of my friends including me aave ordered one, we have got a message stating its ready to be shipped yesterday itself!
Old 12th October 2015, 18:32   #1143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Its still showing as 4999 and available to me now. This deal has been online since 24 hours now, lots of my friends including me aave ordered one, we have got a message stating its ready to be shipped yesterday itself!
Is this on the app? Website shows me 10K +
Old 12th October 2015, 18:37   #1144
BHPian

I have not been following the narrative here so excuse me if I am going off topic. Anyone wanting a "good" WiFi router for the home needs to take a look at the Ubiquiti UniFi. Been using one for the last 8 months after my Time Capsule from 2009 gave up. I already have a wired router which takes care of my Internet connectivity and I needed a device to replace the Time Capsule. I had been trying and experimenting with consumer grade router for various friends and associates while I was not in the market for replacing my Time Capsule. Nothing excited me since these were generally susceptible to errors and required resetting or switching off and on once in a while. When I needed one for myself, I settled on the UniFi. While the UniFi is not technically a router as it will not do any routing, it is an excellent WiFi Access Point. I am using the UniFi LR which I procured from a distributor in Delhi. I paid 6200/- all inclusive 8-9 months back. One unit covers my 2500 Sq Ft home on one floor without issues and in all corners, I get at least 60% signal. I also installed 3 units at a friend's hotel over 3 floors and he has not had any guest complian about WiFi connectivity. So if you're looking to get a new WiFi Access Point, do consider the UniFi.

Those wondering how I could "replace" my Time Capsule with the UniFi. I did not use the Time Capsule to backup any of my computers or for file storage.

(PS: I am not associated with or work for or deal in the product or any other IT related product. )

Last edited by SumitB : 12th October 2015 at 18:41.
Old 12th October 2015, 18:38   #1145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
Is this on the app? Website shows me 10K +
Nope, on the website. Here is a screenshot :

On Wi-Fi & Routers-netgea.jpg
Old 12th October 2015, 18:47   #1146
BHPian

Super weird - It is now showing me the same price. Thanks a bunch - ordered two . Finally a router that can cover the entire house!
Old 12th October 2015, 19:22   #1147
BHPian

Netgear R7000 Nighthawk for Rs 5000 on Flipkart

Just ordered one at the 75% discounted price.

Thanks for the tip SunnyBoi
Old 12th October 2015, 19:29   #1148
BHPian

You guys made me jump onto the bandwagon and I ordered the Nighthawk too - opted for credit card payment, just in case they cancel the COD orders
Old 12th October 2015, 19:44   #1149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
75% off! Now that's what I call a bargain. That's a decent compensation for putting up with Netgear's horrible user interface. Don't know where it stands in the performance ratings, but, at that price, should be worth it if it works!
You can flash the router to ddwrt or openwrt or merlin if you do not like the netgear firmware. There are tonnes of 3rd party options as this is arguably the most powerful and popular router out there. However the stock firmware on the nighthawk devices is different from the rest - way more customizable.
Old 12th October 2015, 20:34   #1150
BHPian

Thanks Sunnyboi.I bought one too.I hope they wont cancel it. I have a Dlink Dir 816L and a Linksys ea 4500. Both of them could not reach my xps 13 15 feet away without dropping bandwidth considerably.

I mean to get the isp provided 50mbps i need to sit with in 7-8feet
The 5ghz band is even not visible at 15ft . Yes the issue is the xps but as per Dell it is working "fine" and they wont do anything to solve it
Old 12th October 2015, 21:28   #1151
BHPian

Which Wi-Fi Router?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Nope, on the website. Here is a screenshot :

Thank you SunnyBoi, forgot to show my gratitude in my earlier post!
My router seems to have shipped already!

Last edited by diyguy : 12th October 2015 at 21:31.
Old 12th October 2015, 21:57   #1152
BHPian

I was looking for router, basically for high speed networking (wired and wireless both) between computers, laptop and mobile. Saw this thread bumped up and got to know about the Nighthawk deal so finally placed order after seeing so many fellows already ordered it @ 5K.

I saw the specs briefly and went through review and seems to be a good device. Now my questions:

(1) What actual speed I can expect for data transfer between my devices while using wired and wireless both networks?

(2) Does this router have ADSL modem inbuilt or not? Can we use ordinary broadband connection with router? Or we will have to have separate modem?

(3) How much power consumption can be expected? I want an efficient device which will be kept on 24 hours. I won't be comfortable with overheating and high power consumption. How will be Nighthawk on those parameters?

(4) This looks like very old model, 2013 I think. Will it be future proof for time being?

(5) Netgear has been infamous for security loopholes in their routers. My NAS will be attached to this router, what about security of my data?

(6) Finally Does this router support open source firmware flashing?
Old 13th October 2015, 00:28   #1153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
You can flash the router to ddwrt or openwrt or merlin if you do not like the netgear firmware. There are tonnes of 3rd party options as this is arguably the most powerful and popular router out there. However the stock firmware on the nighthawk devices is different from the rest - way more customizable.
Well, that would be good.

Mine is quite customizable, just horrible to use. I don't think it can be flashed with ddwrt: it is a D6300, and it is a modem and router combination. I paid about 10K for it.
Old 13th October 2015, 08:27   #1154
BHPian

The R7000 is now out of stock and price now reads 10850 on fk
Old 13th October 2015, 10:46   #1155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
I have not been following the narrative here so excuse me if I am going off topic. Anyone wanting a "good" WiFi router for the home needs to take a look at the Ubiquiti UniFi. Been using one for the last 8 months after my Time Capsule from 2009 gave up. I already have a wired router which takes care of my Internet connectivity and I needed a device to replace the Time Capsule. I had been trying and experimenting with consumer grade router for various friends and associates while I was not in the market for replacing my Time Capsule. Nothing excited me since these were generally susceptible to errors and required resetting or switching off and on once in a while. When I needed one for myself, I settled on the UniFi. While the UniFi is not technically a router as it will not do any routing, it is an excellent WiFi Access Point. I am using the UniFi LR which I procured from a distributor in Delhi. I paid 6200/- all inclusive 8-9 months back. One unit covers my 2500 Sq Ft home on one floor without issues and in all corners, I get at least 60% signal. I also installed 3 units at a friend's hotel over 3 floors and he has not had any guest complian about WiFi connectivity. So if you're looking to get a new WiFi Access Point, do consider the UniFi.

Those wondering how I could "replace" my Time Capsule with the UniFi. I did not use the Time Capsule to backup any of my computers or for file storage.

(PS: I am not associated with or work for or deal in the product or any other IT related product. )
How does it work? Is it a range extender or a wifi router? I have a Wifi Modem+router running on BSNL line. Reception is poor in ground floor. Will this product be helpful for me?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks