Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2016, 20:28   #1291
Distinguished - BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
I have a BSNL broadband at home being run on the USB modem currently. One of my friend is leaving abroad on an assignment and has offered his D link 2750U router. I wish to changeover from the USB to the Wifi router with this offer.

I am completely new to this part. Hence have few clarifications.

1. How easy is it to change over from the USB to the Wifi router?

2. Are there any specific data that needs to be uploaded during the changeover and is it available at the fingertips with a few clicks
1. Its quite easy to do this. Not very difficult. Even more easier if you have the setup CD that came along with the router

2. You should be ready with your BSNL user ID and Password in order to get internet access. If your friend has been using BSNL internet earlier, you just have to replace his user id and password with yours. The job will be done.
Old 11th May 2016, 12:50   #1292
mxx
BHPian

Has anyone used Tenda brand of routers? how good (or bad) is it?
Old 13th May 2016, 14:35   #1293
Team-BHP Support

Simple question (I hope).

I have a wired Hathway internet connection feeding into a modem, and I connect to it with an ethernet cable. Airtel's 3G coverage has become patchy recently where I live, so I need a simple WiFi setup to use multiple devices (total 3-4 laptops/cellphones) with my internet line.

Can someone suggest an appropriate WiFi router (basic and reliable would do), and point me to noob-grade setup instructions?

Thanks!
Old 13th May 2016, 15:36   #1294
Distinguished - BHPian

Any views on Ubiquiti commercial-grade wireless access points? Ars Technica has been publishing fairly glowing reviews on them and on the company's new domestic brand, Amplifi, but some of the comments from people in the trade are not so enthusuastic.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 13th May 2016 at 15:39.
Old 13th May 2016, 15:55   #1295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Has anyone used Tenda brand of routers? how good (or bad) is it?
mxx mate I have been using Tenda modem cum router since the past 1 year and they are very good and true value for money. Their service centres are a little patchy meaning very few service centres, but there is a service centre close to my area so no worries for me. I am using two of Tenda's models and both are Wi-Fi modem cum router. Their features and highlights are hard to match and I researched hard before zeroing on them. The high end model that I bought is called Tenda D1201 and other one for regular use is called Tenda D303. I can say that I am satisfied with their performance and configuration. You can check their details online and decide as per your usage.

Also I got some amazing deals on them as they were new in the market at that time, now the prices have increased marginally.
Old 13th May 2016, 17:07   #1296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Simple question (I hope).

I have a wired Hathway internet connection feeding into a modem, and I connect to it with an ethernet cable. Airtel's 3G coverage has become patchy recently where I live, so I need a simple WiFi setup to use multiple devices (total 3-4 laptops/cellphones) with my internet line.

Can someone suggest an appropriate WiFi router (basic and reliable would do), and point me to noob-grade setup instructions?

Thanks!
If you can place the WiFi Router somewhere in the middle of the area that is to be covered by the WiFi network, and such area is about 1000sqft, an N150 type Router should suffice.
For anything other than the above, an N300 would be recommended.

An N150 router can support speeds upto 150Mbps (router usually has none or one external antenna), and an N300 can upto 300Mbps (router usually has dual external antenna, resulting in a wider network range).

D-Link brand routers are well recommended and reliable; and Netgear isn't far behind.
A lot of users also prefer to buy TP-Link for the relatively lower pricing, and good performance.

Setting up a WiFi router is quite easy, and they come with setup instructions.
You can also take help from your ISP for helping setup the WiFi Router.

In case you face any issues, do post here; and one of us can try to help.

PS: I personally use a Netgear N150 Router, to cover 2 floors (about 1000sqft each). The Router has been strategically placed in the middle of the upper floor, and all areas receive a good to excellent network.
Old 13th May 2016, 17:41   #1297
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibby View Post
If you can place the WiFi Router somewhere in the middle of the area that is to be covered by the WiFi network.......
My wired-line modem is mounted to an end-wall near a window, but I live in a relatively compact apartment so range shouldn't be an issue even if I'm unable to install the router centrally.

Quote:
An N150 router can support speeds upto 150Mbps (router usually has none or one external antenna), and an N300 can upto 300Mbps (router usually has dual external antenna, resulting in a wider network range).

D-Link brand routers are well recommended and reliable; and Netgear isn't far behind.
A lot of users also prefer to buy TP-Link for the relatively lower pricing, and good performance.

Setting up a WiFi router is quite easy, and they come with setup instructions.
You can also take help from your ISP for helping setup the WiFi Router.

In case you face any issues, do post here; and one of us can try to help.

PS: I personally use a Netgear N150 Router, to cover 2 floors (about 1000sqft each). The Router has been strategically placed in the middle of the upper floor, and all areas receive a good to excellent network.
Budget N150 & N300 models aren't priced too far apart, so I'm inclined to get the 300 type.

There are quite a few options, and TP-LINK TL-WR841N (N300 type) and D-Link DIR-600M (N150 type) seem to have the most number of reviews. I'll probably pick one of these two.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 15th May 2016, 21:27   #1298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Any views on Ubiquiti commercial-grade wireless access points? Ars Technica has been publishing fairly glowing reviews on them and on the company's new domestic brand, Amplifi, but some of the comments from people in the trade are not so enthusiastic.
I have some internet friends in the US who swear by Ubiquiti. I guess when one wants to graduate from consumer grade stuff, one buys Ubiquiti; the next step up, I believe, is enterprise class.

Some downsides that I know of with these: they're access points only, no modem or routing capabilities; quite expensive compared to consumer grade stuff; warranty support probably quite patchy in India.

A month ago I considered Ubiquity briefly, but bought a TP-Link for a lot less money
Old 15th May 2016, 23:14   #1299
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for that. I'm keeping the bookmark for Ubiquiti, but have lectured myself on not replacing stuff that still works. Will review when situation changes
Old 16th May 2016, 12:16   #1300
BHPian

Anyone here who can help me get a reliance Jio 4g mobile connection?
There is an invite based system where an reliance group employee needs to invite us to purchase a sim+lyf phone.

Looking for a Reliance group (need not be just RJio) employee who can invite me.

Thanks,
Santosh
Old 18th May 2016, 16:03   #1301
BHPian

Friends,

I have a D-Link (DSL2750U) ADSL router + Wifi. Recently I'm having an issue with the router's wifi, as my mobile/tablet has stopped recognizing this wifi. I'm not able to see it in the list of available wifi networks on my mobile device.

Of late, my laptop also has stopped recognizing this wifi and only works via a patch cord.

I've done resetting it to factory status and re configuring but none seems to help. Any pointers here will help.
Old 19th May 2016, 07:40   #1302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutoos View Post

I've done resetting it to factory status and re configuring but none seems to help. Any pointers here will help.
Most routers allow you to set the channel or frequency at which the wifi works. Set it to channel 6 or 11 and try. I had this issue as well and did as I suggest.
Old 19th May 2016, 10:55   #1303
BHPian

Quote:
Friends,

I have a D-Link (DSL2750U) ADSL router + Wifi. Recently I'm having an issue with the router's wifi, as my mobile/tablet has stopped recognizing this wifi. I'm not able to see it in the list of available wifi networks on my mobile device.

Of late, my laptop also has stopped recognizing this wifi and only works via a patch cord.

I too used the same modem until 2 weeks back when my service provider decided to start his service exclusively through RJ45 connectors which this modem does not support.

I too have faced a similar issue with this modem where in my phone/laptop does not recognize/detect the signal though the modem is working fine. A restart helped in most cases but on searching through the internet I found that DLink modems have this issue where the wifi signal tapers off after a while. Problem with the antenna/firmware? Not sure. Many people had reported such issues. After reading this, I have now procured a TP Link N300 supporting RJ45 connectors
Old 19th May 2016, 11:11   #1304
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Friends,

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Most routers allow you to set the channel or frequency at which the wifi works. Set it to channel 6 or 11 and try. I had this issue as well and did as I suggest.
Yes, this is the solution. But the channel can be anything, but not set to auto select. Somehow this has an issue with certain laptops and tablets but my phone was not having issues. But then, my neighbour too had the same issue and I fixed it by assigning a fixed channel. Now we have a pre determined channel assignment within my neighbours so that we dont cause interference by using the same channel. Works well!
Old 19th May 2016, 12:11   #1305
BHPian

My 2 cents.
I prefer Asus routers to any. Solely cause of performance, features and reliability.
Second to that, I'd suggest TP-Link. Pretty good routers and not too heavy on the pocket!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks