Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2015, 15:43   #1021
BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
You are better off buying a better wifi router to be honest. Powerline is pretty useless - have a devolo kit sitting in the attic somewhere.
Currently using a TP-LINK TD-W8968 and it covers 2/3rds of the apartment. Any suggestions for a better router?
Old 4th April 2015, 15:59   #1022
Senior - BHPian

I'm using D-Link DWR-113 in a flat of over 2000 sqft. Router is placed around the center of the flat and I'm not finding any issues with range/speed anywhere in the flat.
Old 4th April 2015, 17:38   #1023
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
Currently using a TP-LINK TD-W8968 and it covers 2/3rds of the apartment. Any suggestions for a better router?
Something like this works really well

http://www.flipkart.com/netgear-r700...dQoaArWc8P8HAQ
Old 4th April 2015, 17:39   #1024
BHPian

Guys, need suggestions/feedback on TP Link Archer C20i dual band AC 750 router. I guess this can be used on BSNL FTTH and also on ACT Internet where the input is via an ethernet port. Thanks.

FTTH - Fibre to the home.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 4th April 2015 at 17:40.
Old 4th April 2015, 19:10   #1025
Senior - BHPian

Just got ASUS RT-N12 D1 from Amazon for Rs 1608.00. This is a router, AP & range extender. Right now using as range extender and will be using as router for the fiber connection shortly. Equivalent Linksys model is E900, which costs around Rs 2000 but cannot be used as range extender.

Last edited by msdivy : 4th April 2015 at 19:11.
Old 12th April 2015, 10:21   #1026
BHPian

Hi,

I am not sure if this is the right thread to post my question. I am a complete ZERO when it comes to electronics.

I have a bsnl broadband connection with teracom wifi modem provided by them (Model T2 B GawV1.4U10Y-BI).

I was happy with it as I don't use wifi over long ranges and the speed is consistent over the distances I use. All my devices were working fine thru wif (my personal laptop, office laptop, my phone, my wife's phone, my wife's office laptop, my sisters phone, my sisters office laptop and my ipad - 8 in total).

Issues started when I purchased my dad a smart phone and my wife was gifted another ipad. Also my sister got a new phone. Now in all these new devices, my wifi is getting detected and I asking for the password. After typing the password, all these devices are getting connected to my network. Then all these devices are showing "obtaining ip address" and then after few minutes it is saying "avoided due to poor connection", though all the devices show full signal strength.

This is the case even if I switch off my existing devices (my laptops and phones). Still the new devices are not getting connected. Sometimes these connect to my wifi and it stays connected till I switch off my modem. In such conditions, one of my existing device may not connect.

So I basically understand that the problem is due to the no of device that can be connected to my network (or the number of ip address available). Can you experts please help me with a solution sort out this issue?

Will buying a wireless router with better connectivity solve this issue?

Thanks in advance.
Barath
Old 12th April 2015, 11:30   #1027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barathvajan View Post
i have a bsnl broadband connection with teracom wifi modem provided by them (Model T2 B GawV1.4U10Y-BI).

First thing to try is to update the firmware of the device. Google the model and firmware version already on it. Second would be to get into the wifi settings of the modem and see the settings if it is set to B/N/G/Auto.
Try and set it to auto or both whatever you have.

Then reduce older devices connected and see if the new ones work fine. In all likelihood the firmware upgrade will help. I was using a 2010 firmware on my asus router and recently started getting issues with a windows 8 laptop. On upgrade the issue went away.
Old 29th May 2015, 19:23   #1028
Senior - BHPian

Voltage surge took out basic Belkin N series wifi router, when I try look up options on Flipkart the amount of negative reviews for any of the routers I like just scares me. Looks like all routers have some sort of complaints or the other, from signal dropping to not responding to even strange behavior like not working in 8-10 feet even in direct line of sight.

I am looking for something that goes with my 50mbps broadband connection, I will be connecting the following -

1. Desktop directly via cable
2. Laptops - 2
3. Mobile Phones - 3
4. iPad - 1
5. TV - 1

Maybe a device or two more at the most. The area of my apartment is approximately 1200 sq feet.

Any suggestions?
Old 29th May 2015, 20:11   #1029
Distinguished - BHPian

Been out of the business for a long time, but I think there is still a substantial difference in the price of domestic, as compared to commercial, networking equipment? That might explain some of the complaints.

I bought a cheap TRENDnet wifi router. I don't have any complaints, but then, it is mostly used by stuff in the same room.

If I ever renovate/build a house again, I'll wire it with ethernet cable. It may be unfashionable, and the portable devices may still need to be covered by wi-fi. but, for stuff that stays in one place, it's simple and straightforward.
Old 29th May 2015, 20:27   #1030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I think there is still a substantial difference in the price of domestic, as compared to commercial, networking equipment?
Yes. I had too much trouble with D-Link, 3Com etc., so I finally invested nearly Rs. 10K in a TP-Link Wifi unit; now my home networking troubles are over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If I ever renovate/build a house again, I'll wire it with ethernet cable. It may be unfashionable, and the portable devices may still need to be covered by wi-fi. but, for stuff that stays in one place, it's simple and straightforward.
You wish. Assuming you don't want cable clutter exposed, you'll have it all wired concealed. So then you have to plan your electrical wiring and network wiring in such a way that EMF interference is minimized. Adding a device to your network will the become a PITA unless you had laid sufficient spare cables beforehand. Cat5e cables are thick; so the bundle at your distribution point will be quite ungainly. Costwise, you'll have to invest in a decent switch (D-Link has some good entry-level units at around 12K price) and the cabling, of course. And despite all this you'll have to invest in Wifi because mobile phones and others can't do ethernet (Apple's taken wired networking off their computers too, I hear?).

What I did at my apartment was to get Cat5e laid for multiple Wifi access points, all at the same locations where the builder provided telephone extension points.
Old 30th May 2015, 21:57   #1031
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Voltage surge took out basic Belkin N series wifi router, when I try look up options on Flipkart the amount of negative reviews for any of the routers I like just scares me. Looks like all routers have some sort of complaints or the other, from signal dropping to not responding to even strange behavior like not working in 8-10 feet even in direct line of sight.

I am looking for something that goes with my 50mbps broadband connection, I will be connecting the following -

1. Desktop directly via cable
2. Laptops - 2
3. Mobile Phones - 3
4. iPad - 1
5. TV - 1

Maybe a device or two more at the most. The area of my apartment is approximately 1200 sq feet.

Any suggestions?
Your budget would definitely help.

I got the Asus Nighthawk X6 R8000 couple of weeks ago. I have no complaints thus far and yes I have tons of devices like smartphones, tablets, TV's and gaming consoles. No complaints thus far, good range and stability.

It is a little one the higher side of the price tag though.

Here's the link from Amazon India, it seems to be having the cheapest one at the moment.

http://www.amazon.in/Netgear-AC3200-Nighthawk-Tri-Band-Router/dp/B00KWHMR6G/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433003142&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=asus+nighthawk
Old 31st May 2015, 01:18   #1032
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Yes. I had too much trouble with D-Link, 3Com etc., so I finally invested nearly Rs. 10K in a TP-Link Wifi unit; now my home networking troubles are over.
Way back, 3com used to be the name in networking, from the card in every PC to the switches and stuff in the network rack. I don't know where they are now --- if anywhere at all?

Quote:
You wish. Assuming you don't want cable clutter exposed, you'll have it all wired concealed. So then you have to plan your electrical wiring and network wiring in such a way that EMF interference is minimized.
Disclosure: "IANANE" (that is, I am not a network engineer!) but a decade-retired, forgotten-most-of-it systems/IT manager in companies small enough that I had to spend plenty of time under desks, but...

The beauty of CATn networking is that you have to be more than a bit stupid to stop it working. Take up the slack by winding it around a light tube, or something: mostly, it is very, very resilient. Having said that, one of the reasons I did not include it when I rewired the house was that the electricians could hardly get electricity right, and I dreaded to think what they would do with networking

Quote:
Adding a device to your network will the become a PITA unless you had laid sufficient spare cables beforehand. Cat5e cables are thick; so the bundle at your distribution point will be quite ungainly.
Depends what you call "thick" but I can quite see how I might end up with a dozen or more at my rack --- for a 2-bedroom house.

Quote:
Costwise, you'll have to invest in a decent switch (D-Link has some good entry-level units at around 12K price) and the cabling, of course. And despite all this you'll have to invest in Wifi because mobile phones and others can't do ethernet (Apple's taken wired networking off their computers too, I hear?).
I have the luxury of not being too bothered about what Apple or even Microsoft, do!
Quote:
What I did at my apartment was to get Cat5e laid for multiple Wifi access points, all at the same locations where the builder provided telephone extension points.
And I think that that is the right compromise. That is what my son-in-law has just done in his new house and he used to be a network engineer.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 31st May 2015 at 01:20.
Old 31st May 2015, 14:03   #1033
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvar26 View Post
Your budget would definitely help.

I got the Asus Nighthawk X6 R8000 couple of weeks ago. I have no complaints thus far and yes I have tons of devices like smartphones, tablets, TV's and gaming consoles. No complaints thus far, good range and stability.

It is a little one the higher side of the price tag though.

Here's the link from Amazon India, it seems to be having the cheapest one at the moment.

http://www.amazon.in/Netgear-AC3200-Nighthawk-Tri-Band-Router/dp/B00KWHMR6G/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433003142&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=asus+nighthawk
Whoa!! I missed the most crucial point in my post, I'm looking for a budget router (sub 4K types).

The nighthawk looks like something that should sit in Batmans cave !!
Old 6th June 2015, 15:49   #1034
Distinguished - BHPian

After months and months of on and off trouble, Airtel have finally convinced me, by the loan of another modem, that part of my problems may have been caused by my slightly ancient Netgear. Logically, I'm doubtful still, but, back in working days, I faced enough This is impossible, it cannot be related problems where the impossible was the fix, so hey.

I currently use an old Netgear modem/router, with a TRENDnet wifi router. I've decided to go for one box. I'm thinking of the Netgear D6300. I have a couple of hours to order it from Amazon (cheaper than Flipkart) for Monday delivery. I now have an ac compatible device, and might even get one for the laptop. If it lasts half as long as the old Netgear, the capital cost will be, long-term, irrelevant.

Yes: I could just buy a Rs.thousand modem, but hey, the lure of high specs and flashing lights, right? Pride of ownership is a genuine factor, especially for a gadgetphile shopoholic. The TRENDnet was bargain-basement. And this is not exactly big money: I'm not tempted to spend 20K-plus!
Old 7th June 2015, 23:15   #1035
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm thinking of the Netgear D6300
I did. I ordered it yesterday evening for Two-Day (Monday) delivery and it... arrived today! (Yes, today, as in on a Sunday)

Really that is astonishing. About 24 hours from shipping in Mumbai to delivery in Chennai. I got some batteries that I ordered too.

Now let me give my thoughts after a few hours messing with this thing.

It's big. I don't mind that: I actually think it looks quite smart. It has a separate power supply, like a laptop power supply, with a proper iec socket for a proper cable. No idea what quality of components is inside that box, but it looks good from the outside!

It comes with...

... Two useless power cords. Yes, Two! Two power chords that don't fit Indian sockets. Nothing new there:

... A useless plug-in phone splitter/filter that probably works in some country that hasn't changed to RJ11 yet.

... A network cable, cat 5e, in a nice bright yellow, and a "phone" cable, RJ11-to-RJ11.

That's several things into my vast pile of rubbish which includes cables, adapters and all sorts of all sorts, and one thing out: an iec/GB-plug cable I can plug straight in (to be fair, I could use either of the supplied ones with the usual adapter).

Here's my first complaint. I really should know better than to buy things that come with most-people-just-need-to-plug-it-in wizards (or "genie," in this case). I am not most people. Frankly, as it didn't get Airtel's VPI/VCI channels right, most of us here, techie or not, are not most people either.

Fact: It is a hell of a lot easier to copy down the settings from the old one, and enter them into a new ADSL modem, even if some of the field names may differ slightly from one manufacturer to another, than it is to wait while the genie fails, and then have to hunt through the "advanced" screens to find out all the bits. It's ages since it has taken me longer than two or three minutes (ok, five or ten allowing for typos and getting my own phone number wrong <Blush> especially with an existing, known, ISP. I have it all on page 1 (A-for-Airtel) of my address book.

There are two potential pre-configured IP addresses that cover the majority of home router-modems: 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.0.1. The majority of the majority seem to favour 1.1 and, as it happens, so do I. That makes for a bit of a pain when having to reconfigure a PC to change it, and then reconfigure the PC back again. This time I used a DHCP-client laptop

Netgear seem to have taken to strongly advising us against changing defaults, but, Wireless Networking here I come...

So I change the SID and the passwords for both 2.4 and 5Ghz to be the same as the previous router box and, guess what: everything works. That was the good bit of the day.

We loose it a bit when it comes to assigning DHCP reservations. Why would I even want to do this? I suppose I'm a control freak, who used to regard my hosts file as part of the inventory documentation, not to mention having bookmarks for various stuff on various devices, or the small handful of things that have fixed addresses, that do not want to have been handed out by DHCP already when they powered up.

So, reduced the DHCP assignable range, and started out keying in the ones I want "fixed." It won't let me: it says they are not in the range. Looks like a bug that has existed for a couple of years .

After two or three forum threads (and some idiot who suggests, hey, just assign fixed IPs. When someone asks him directions, he probably sends them somewhere else) I find "try a different browser." And it works in Chrome.

One more absurdity: every time I click on "apply" in one of its screens, the thing reboots, and it is not quick, taking several minutes to power up, boot, and get it on with the ADSL.

My 11ac-compatable phone reports a connection speed of over 400Mb/s. I suppose that's what I'm paying for. Of course, a test shows about 10% of that.

I had a Netgear before: it wasn't this bad. I am a bit disappointed, especially after having spent so much money. But the big thing is whether or not it consistently keeps the Airtel line up. The interface is something we don't need to look at too often. We hope.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks