Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2012, 11:30   #511
BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Have you tried a adapter disable and enable on your laptop? I had a similar issue and thought the problem was with my router, till I discovered that it was my laptop wireless card. Noticed my phone never had the problem.
Yes, tried that. Even tried rebooting the laptop.
I noticed that it was the same problem even with my phone (Android) it was not connecting until the router was rebooted.
Guess time to get a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Oh that's sad! Instaed of multiple routers could I use Signal Amplifiers or range extenders?
I wouldn't rule it not possible directly. I think with the new high powered routers should be possible.
Reason I am saying this is because I live in an apartment. And I can see the wifi signal pretty decent of neighbors who live in the adjacent building different floor.

Getting a repeater is always another option which would work.
Old 29th October 2012, 11:32   #512
BANNED

I am thinking about a 3G Modem from either Asus or TLink. Now I would like toe extend the range to the same floor of my house and also bring my Tata HD+ into the loop. I have an old DLink wireless modem floating around.

Is it possible to link the two together and then use the Modem for the wireless link? If yes, how?
Old 29th October 2012, 11:49   #513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I am thinking about a 3G Modem from either Asus or TLink. Now I would like toe extend the range to the same floor of my house and also bring my Tata HD+ into the loop. I have an old DLink wireless modem floating around.

Is it possible to link the two together and then use the Modem for the wireless link? If yes, how?
Yes, You need to check if your old router can work in "repeater" mode. Try upgrading the firmware first, sometimes with newer firmwares you get additional options, if not try updating it with DD-WRT firmware (if compatible).
Old 30th October 2012, 07:02   #514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
As for using the AiCloud app, once your phone is on the same home network, all you have to do is run the cloud app and it will detect your N66 router, you just select that and it you should see all the folders..

As for using the 1 TB HDD, I too tried that but the router used to freeze after some time, so gave up that idea. Finally bought a 32 GB pendrive formatted it to EXT filesystem and all is well since then. If you really want to give the 1 TB drive, I would say format it to EXT [a native format which linux understands, the router uses linux].

PS:- You have purchased the best router in market at present . FYI the router also has DLNA, it can stream movies on your network, just make sure your TV is on the network. I have connected my plasma to my wifi using http://www.netgear.com/home/products.../WNCE3001.aspx. It is so much fun when you have such a capable router.
Thanks rbp. AiCloud is working fine now But now as luck has it my 1tb WD elements external hdd has conked off. Too many bad sectors it seems. It is out of warranty and WD won't replace it and they don't have any service centers either. Now I am looking at another hdd. The confusion arises now. I have 2 options,

1) get a new 1tb ext. hdd

2) get a NAS with a 1tb hdd and a 320 or smaller capacity external hdd just to lug around important files and a few small backups

Now since I have the RT-N66 do I need the NAS or is a standalone NAS better off than a router? Primarily I am looking at streaming media across the devices in my home and automated backups of important data of my pc.
Old 30th October 2012, 07:10   #515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaush666

Thanks rbp. AiCloud is working fine now But now as luck has it my 1tb WD elements external hdd has conked off. Too many bad sectors it seems. It is out of warranty and WD won't replace it and they don't have any service centers either. Now I am looking at another hdd. The confusion arises now. I have 2 options,

2) get a NAS with a 1tb hdd and a 320 or smaller capacity external hdd just to lug around important files and a few small backups

Now since I have the RT-N66 do I need the NAS or is a standalone NAS better off than a router? Primarily I am looking at streaming media across the devices in my home and automated backups of important data of my pc.
You have a great router and can probably make do with it and connect an external hdd to it to perform as a NAS. I have a Synology DS212+ myself and currently using mainly for central backup. 1Tb for NAS is probably insufficient and you should be able to expand it if possible.
Old 30th October 2012, 11:14   #516
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaush666 View Post

I would go with a NAS. Synology is an awesome NAS, the reason I say NAS is because internal HDD are cheap and NAS puts the HDD to sleep when not in use, that should help the reliability of NAS and as I mentioned, my router freezes when connected to the 1 Gig drive that I have and when I had it connected to the router it always kept spinning and used to heat up a lot, so reliability is a concern.

@diyguy :- How much did u pay for the NAS? 17 or 19K. Including or excluding drives?
Old 3rd November 2012, 01:40   #517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp

@diyguy :- How much did u pay for the NAS? 17 or 19K. Including or excluding drives?
I got the Synology from the US for about 360$
Picked up a seagate 2tb locally in chennai when the rates were high for 6k
Got one bay free for another drive which I plan to use for a 3tb seagate
Old 12th November 2012, 12:43   #518
BHPian

Need some suggestions - I have a MTNL Broadband connection at home and am thinking of setting up a WiFi connection at home (mainly to connect my PS3 to the internet). How is the following router - http://www.flipkart.com/tp-link-tl-w...RD7HN3JJYF6WN2

After reading its reviews it seems this might work for me. Do I have to worry about compatibility issues? Should the routers work with all ISP's or there can be issues with that?
Old 12th November 2012, 14:52   #519
BHPian

I recently relocated from Bangalore to Salem, Tamilnadu. I have been having consistent issues with Reliance Broadband - Wireline Internet at my new location. There are power issues prevailing in Tamilnadu. After many complaints, I was told that there is not enough power to charge the UPS batteries in the nearest Reliance hub hub/server room & the batteries don't support power interruptions for more than half hour. Whenever there is power in that area, it works awesome.

So, I was in the lookout for an additional connection since I did not want to stay back in office for late night calls. When office folks recommended Aircel 3G, I borrowed a dongle from a colleague and tested the same. The speed was pretty decent.

I really did not want to stick to a Dongle ONLY 1:1 solution and I was in the lookout for a router that supports the Aircel Dongle. Later I stumbled upon Huawei E355 (WiFi Dongle); which exactly solved my purpose. [INR 2999 in Flipkart]. This WIFI + Dongle supports up to 5 devices and it works great. Of all, it's PLUG & PLAY. I opened the box, inserted the sim, and it takes 25 seconds to connect to a network & get's WIFI enabled.

I bought a Nokia DC16 Battery Pack for INR 950 from Ebay.

On Wi-Fi & Routers-img_8021-large.jpg

On Wi-Fi & Routers-img_8022-large.jpg

On Wi-Fi & Routers-img_8023.png
Old 12th November 2012, 15:21   #520
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevertouchme
I recently relocated from Bangalore to Salem, Tamilnadu. I have been having consistent issues with Reliance Broadband - Wireline Internet at my new location. There are power issues prevailing in Tamilnadu. After many complaints, I was told that there is not enough power to charge the UPS batteries in the nearest Reliance hub hub/server room & the batteries don't support power interruptions for more than half hour. Whenever there is power in that area, it works awesome.

So, I was in the lookout for an additional connection since I did not want to stay back in office for late night calls. When office folks recommended Aircel 3G, I borrowed a dongle from a colleague and tested the same. The speed was pretty decent.

I really did not want to stick to a Dongle ONLY 1:1 solution and I was in the lookout for a router that supports the Aircel Dongle. Later I stumbled upon Huawei E355 (WiFi Dongle); which exactly solved my purpose. [INR 2999 in Flipkart]. This WIFI + Dongle supports up to 5 devices and it works great. Of all, it's PLUG & PLAY. I opened the box, inserted the sim, and it takes 25 seconds to connect to a network & get's WIFI enabled.

I bought a Nokia DC16 Battery Pack for INR 950 from Ebay.
How long does the Nokia battery stick last when you use it with the dongle? Also how is the range of the dongle?
Old 12th November 2012, 15:51   #521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil
Need some suggestions - I have a MTNL Broadband connection at home and am thinking of setting up a WiFi connection at home (mainly to connect my PS3 to the internet). How is the following router - http://www.flipkart.com/tp-link-tl-w...RD7HN3JJYF6WN2

After reading its reviews it seems this might work for me. Do I have to worry about compatibility issues? Should the routers work with all ISP's or there can be issues with that?
This is a wi-fi router only and doesn't have an integrated DSL modem i.e you will connect this to your existing modem via lan cable and this will make the wifi signal.

DSL Modem->Wifi Router -> PS3

If you want to get rid of your existing modem and want one device then look here
http://www.flipkart.com/m/netgear-dg...RDFFYGZTHEAFYH

Wifi Router+Modem -> PS3

No compatibility issues even if you with tp-link or this netgear one.

BTW how far would be the ps3 from the wifi router?
Old 12th November 2012, 16:03   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
This is a wi-fi router only and doesn't have an integrated DSL modem i.e you will connect this to your existing modem via lan cable and this will make the wifi signal.

BTW how far would be the ps3 from the wifi router?
Well I have the MTNL modem - Do I need to get rid of it? I mean do the two connection methods you suggested result in any speed difference? Obviously buying a Router+Modem will reduce the clutter.

I am thinking of placing the Router in my living room. Distance of PS3 from the Router will be around 10ft (maximum). I think this is quite a short distance right? Also with this router will I get decent speed in other parts of the apartment?

So there should be no compatibility issues with others too - like Belkin, ASUS etc?

Last edited by Saanil : 12th November 2012 at 16:06.
Old 12th November 2012, 16:05   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
How long does the Nokia battery stick last when you use it with the dongle? Also how is the range of the dongle?
I've tested this and it lasts for about 9 hours. I live in a 2 BHK apartment [~1000 SQFT] and if the dongle is placed in the living, It covers almost the house.
Old 12th November 2012, 16:31   #524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil

Well I have the MTNL modem - Do I need to get rid of it? I mean do the two connection methods you suggested result in any speed difference? Obviously buying a Router+Modem will reduce the clutter.

I am thinking of placing the Router in my living room. Distance of PS3 from the Router will be around 10ft (maximum). I think this is quite a short distance right? Also with this router will I get decent speed in other parts of the apartment?

So there should be no compatibility issues with others too - like Belkin, ASUS etc?
No they don't result in any speed difference. Its just clutter. Your choice. Modem+ wifi combo is a bit expensive as compared to wifi only counterpart.

Thats a pretty short distance.

You should get decent speed in a radius area of around 2000-2600 sqft. Coverage subject to no. of walls in between.

You can go in for any router, no issues.
Old 12th November 2012, 16:34   #525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
No they don't result in any speed difference. Its just clutter. Your choice. Modem+ wifi combo is a bit expensive as compared to wifi only counterpart.

Thats a pretty short distance.

You should get decent speed in a radius area of around 2000-2600 sqft. Coverage subject to no. of walls in between.

You can go in for any router, no issues.
The coverage area - is it for the router I asked for or for the one you suggested?

Also once I get a router do I just plug in and start using? Or is there some installation required?

Most Viewed