Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2020, 21:26   #1921
Senior - BHPian

Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Please check this video. Here they say the product is 'designed & manufactured' in Bangalore. I'm willing to pay double for a 'Non-Chinese' product and which proudly says 'Made In India' in bold, on the packaging itself. There is a two year warranty that I have unlocked, so don't worry about spares. On your other point; My sister owns an APC that is powering two or more devices, but for 5 minutes only. I needed a longer back-up, since my business depends on a reliable router. In fact, back-up is 'priceless' to me. Hope you get my view on this. Thanks for liking its form factor, I'll keep this thread updated on its performance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
As far as made in India is concerned, it is almost certainly a rebadged made in China product. Such devices can be found on AliExpress for around Rs 600 to 800 which is the fair price for them. Having said that, it is a great idea and I love its look and design.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 22:13   #1922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
[. Here they say the product is 'designed & manufactured' in Bangalore. I'm willing to pay double for a 'Non-Chinese' product and which proudly says 'Made In India' in bold, on the packaging itself. There is a two year warranty that I have unlocked, so don't worry about spares. On your other point; My sister owns an APC that is powering two or more devices, but for 5 minutes only. I needed a longer back-up, since my business depends on a reliable router. In fact, back-up is 'priceless' to me. Hope you get my view on this. Thanks for liking its form factor, I'll keep this thread updated on its performance
Don't get me wrong. I love the device, form factor and overall concept. I just want it to be better value for money. As far as UPS turning off after 5 minutes, it is because it doesn't detect sufficient load when powering only a router. Some of them have a button to turn off this energy saving feature. Otherwise an expert suggested plugging in extra load like a 20 Watt bulb. I haven't tried it as we hardly get any power cuts here in Delhi NCR and we have a full back up generator that automatically powers up in a few seconds. So I only need a few seconds of back up once every few months. Thank you so much for sharing the review of this neat product.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 16:30   #1923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Initially I tried with Asus as an access point for few days. Later to utilise the full potential of Asus, I want to set the the Huawei in bridge mode so that it just performs the modem duty while Asus does the Router
Does the same problem occur if Asus is connected as a "client" via ethernet to Huawei? Asus can create a new network (say Huawei assigns 192.168.A.2 to Asus, Asus can create a new LAN with 192.168.B.X and act as DHCP + Router for this LAN).

It might be better to let Huawei manage connectivity. This way Airtel cannot blame anything (makes life easier as well for technician, so easier for him to troubleshoot etc.).
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 17:16   #1924
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Does the same problem occur if Asus is connected as a "client" via ethernet to Huawei?..
Yes I tried this also. I guess this is double NAT. Also tried Asus as Access point. But had frequent disruptions in both scenarios. Looks like Asus is the culprit here.

I did some firmware update on Asus few days back. It could be the issue. Felt it worked fine with lan cable, but had issues with WiFi. Will check with another router shortly.

Thanks for your valuable inputs.
Old 20th July 2020, 17:22   #1925
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... This way Airtel cannot blame anything (makes life easier as well for technician, so easier for him to troubleshoot etc.).
Anyone who sets up their own network, connecting their own wifi router to ISP-provided modem cannot expect the ISP to support it. They must be ready and able to configure, support and maintain it themselves. If not, then please stick with the ISP-supplied modem/router.

It is not difficult to administer a small network at home or office. Google "TCP/IP tutorial." The first few lessons will be enough.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 17:46   #1926
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Anyone who sets up their own network, connecting their own wifi router to ISP-provided modem cannot expect the ISP to support it.
ISP should be able to provide support if ISPs modem is used "as is". That has been my experience as well.
  1. Do not modify any connection parameter etc in modem. Leave everything as setup by ISP.
  2. Connect your own router via LAN to modem/router provided by ISP
  3. When some issue occurs, demonstrate the issue by connecting directly to ISP modem.

Quote:
Felt it worked fine with lan cable, but had issues with WiFi. Will check with another router shortly.
Looks like issue with Asus in this case. I am assuming you have done basic troubleshooting like reset on Asus router.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 18:09   #1927
Team-BHP Support

Those who have the Airtel XStream Fiber Connection: did your society ask Airtel for a deposit (for whatever reason)? We've been chasing our Airtel engineer for the XStream Fiber Optic line, since a) our speeds are currently limited to 40 mbps, b) they've run out of sockets for new connections. He keeps saying Airtel has been approaching our society committee to install the cables but they're asking for a deposit. We've been unable to get the exact condition from our committee.
Old 20th July 2020, 18:27   #1928
BHPian

Quote:
Yes I tried this also. I guess this is double NAT. Also tried Asus as Access point. But had frequent disruptions in both scenarios. Looks like Asus is the culprit here.
Are you trying to use both Huawei and Asus Wifi Signals to increase your range? Below part may be necessary or not depending on this answer

I would rather suggest as others told already. Leave Huawei as is, and use Asus as your main and only router. What might be happening is devices trying to switch IP addresses and losing connection. I will mention 2 options below, see which one works for you.

1) Use only ASUS router for WiFi
- Turn off Wireless on Huawei (to avoid interference and devices connecting to it)
- Remove Bridge mode, let it be default as Airtel provided (not needed as you will be setting ASUS to have its own network)
- Connect WAN Port (Internet) of ASUS to LAN port of Huawei Router
- Change IP address of ASUS with 2nd last part diff from Huawei, i.e. if Huawei is 192.168.1.1, let ASUS be 192.168.2.1 (@NetfreakBombay already mentioned this)
- Have all clients connect to ASUS. Standalone devices that does not care to be part of home network can still be connected by LAN to Huawei (TV, Airtel provided Landline, etc.)

This will take care of you regular issues.
ASUS should have pretty strong Wifi Signal to cover your needs, I hope.

2) Use ASUS as Access Point
So this one should be preferred rather than trying bridge mode on Huawei if you need ASUS Wifi in addition to Huawei to increase your coverage. When you use this mode (or Repeater mode) it disables the DCHP funtionality so all you network devices remain in same network. ASUS Router will guide for this setup when started after Reset (Asus website also has these instructions). Do reply if you need more details here.

My Case: I have Jio Modem/Router that does not enable Bridge mode, so I use Option 1 above in order to be able to run any customization's I need on my ASUS Router. No issue with connectivity. One stop portal to manage my network devices.

Hope this helps
vidyanand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 18:57   #1929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So I only need a few seconds of back up once every few months.
One option is to DIY (or have nearby local shop assemble it for you).

Details : https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY...-Router-Modem/

This has a battery that should last for 20 minutes (sufficient time for generator / inverter to kick-in).

Back-of-the-envelop calculations indicate the cost to be ~2500

Name:  usb_charger_ups.png
Views: 535
Size:  4.5 KB

Last edited by ampere : 21st July 2020 at 05:58. Reason: typo fixed
NetfreakBombay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 21:27   #1930
BHPian

Quote:
Bak-of-the-envelop calculations indicate the cost to be ~2500
They are ideal only if getting a compact ups is utmost priority, a 600VA UPS can be had for less than 3000 INR and can power up additional devices that need uninterrupted power supply. E.g NAS. I run my TV, STB along with Router and few more on it. Even a backup of 5 mins is more than enough for backup supported homes. For others, letting only router run on it will give longer duration.

Also some high end routers specifically has rating of more than 12 V (e.g. ASUS routers need 19V 1.75A).
Old 20th July 2020, 22:50   #1931
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyanand View Post
They are ideal only if getting a compact ups is utmost priority, a 600VA UPS can be had for less than 3000 INR
Yes, a UPS will be better at this price level. It can provide AC so any device can be run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyanand View Post
Also some high end routers specifically has rating of more than 12 V (e.g. ASUS routers need 19V 1.75A).
Selecting the desired voltage is a step in the process. Since a DC booster is used, you can select any voltage up to 24v (higher voltage will need parts with higher rating).

You can also use much higher capacity of battery by just replacing the battery and configuring the charger circuit.

https://robu.in/product-category/batteries/orange-lipo/
Old 20th July 2020, 23:09   #1932

Quote:
These products are atrociously expensive for what they provide. .... As far as made in India is concerned, it is almost certainly a rebadged made in China product. Such devices can be found on AliExpress for around Rs 600 to 800 which is the fair price for them.
I accept that I am guilty of reviving a topic that has already been discussed. But, can't help adding here. I reiterate that such devices for the power that they provide are ridiculously expensive. A solid Xiaomi Power bank costs just 700 INR.
Besides, the "Made In India" is just a marketing gimmick - they would use any means to sell more. AFAIK, there are no established Lithium-ion battery manufacturers in India yet. Same goes for the chips. And, I don't think even PCBs, on such small scale, can be printed in India which would beat the Chinese prices- the economics don't make sense. At most it would be an "Assembled in India" product.
ElonSkum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 12:32   #1933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Those who have the Airtel XStream Fiber Connection: did your society ask Airtel for a deposit (for whatever reason)? We've been chasing our Airtel engineer for the XStream Fiber Optic line, since a) our speeds are currently limited to 40 mbps, b) they've run out of sockets for new connections. He keeps saying Airtel has been approaching our society committee to install the cables but they're asking for a deposit. We've been unable to get the exact condition from our committee.
Our society has a rental agreement with service providers. We have XStream fiber, and no our society did not ask for any deposit. Airtel speeds on DSL are limited to 40mbps as I heard. On my terrace, I see that each Airtel fiber junction box can support 8 connections max.
xotiq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 13:37   #1934
BHPian

Need some advice. Have TP Link 940N router in 2nd floor.
Have Smart TV in 1st/Grd floor, but not catching the strong signal.
What are the options to connect them? Can I use Ethernet Splitter or any extension from router to TV using Cat 5 cable.
Objective is, we want to use single router to connect to 2 TVs.
Old 21st July 2020, 18:06   #1935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
What are the options to connect them? Can I use Ethernet Splitter or any extension from router to TV using Cat 5 cable.
Objective is, we want to use single router to connect to 2 TVs.
I don't get the issue. If you have the option to run ethernet cable from router to TV, then you can do that. Your router should have 4 lan ports, you can use one of them. I hope your TV has Ethernet port too, like most of the smart Tvs these days.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks