Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2020, 13:29   #1786
Team-BHP Support

Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

In the end there is no proper solution other than Mesh Wi-Fi.

The system handle 2.4GHz and 5GHz as well as does hand off when you walk around. If you are nearby the base station or satellite it will connect you on 5GHz band. If you go further away it will then change band to 2.4GHz so your signal is not weak. All this with same SSID and no intervention from user.

I tried repeaters and extenders, none came close to the intelligence and speed and range of mesh wifi.

It's a one time investment and one which I see will last for 3-5 years as of now for me. I have an Airtel FTTH 300Mbps connection and no issues with getting full speed.
Old 17th March 2020, 13:29   #1787
Senior - BHPian

NOOB QUESTION:
What are SPIDER WI-FI Routers?
How are they different from conventional routers?
Are they better in any way?

Regards-SS
Old 17th March 2020, 14:01   #1788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
In the end there is no proper solution other than Mesh Wi-Fi.

It's a one time investment and one which I see will last for 3-5 years as of now for me. I have an Airtel FTTH 300Mbps connection and no issues with getting full speed.

Excellent - just what the doctor ordered

What can be a typical setup for a 2 BHK apartment? Brands and models to consider, places to buy them from, idiot-proof guide to set it up?
Old 17th March 2020, 14:04   #1789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
What are SPIDER WI-FI Routers?
I think this is just a common name for Asus ROG's Rapture router.

Take a look to see why it is named so: https://www.asus.com/in/Networking/R...re-GT-AX11000/

It is available at a price that's a tad above 40K, on Amazon.
Old 17th March 2020, 14:05   #1790
Distinguished - BHPian

Pick up a device based on your requirements. Keep it simple as that. You want to invest one time and go for a mesh, that is ideal over extender. If you want a budgeted solution, extender will do your job without any regrets. Neither is it a cheap solution when it can cover your requirements.

Extender is a VFM solution and I would still call it one since I have clearly explained my use case. So it is certainly not stopgap.

You can roam around the whole house depending on the placement of the extender and remain connected to the extender SSID. The placement of the extender is immensely important and you will learn it from experience. I never thought it would help me connect so many simultaneous devices at a single time.

With streaming taking over typical downloads like uTorrent now, it is no brainer that all you need is a decent stable connection with a bandwidth as less as 25Mbps and you can still work and stream at the same time. I for one have a 300Mbps from ACT but in reality, I hardly see a compelling reason for such a bandwidth unless I am on a downloading spree all day!

If it was today and if I had to plan it well, I may have given a thought for a mesh router but thankfully 3 years back when I took plunge and picked the extender to see if that helped to improve the situation, it certainly did that now I don't see any reason to dispose the extender at all.
Old 17th March 2020, 14:45   #1791
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchjyoti View Post
Excellent - just what the doctor ordered

What can be a typical setup for a 2 BHK apartment? Brands and models to consider, places to buy them from, idiot-proof guide to set it up?
The Orbi from Netgear is renowned to be the best. It's almost always cheaper on Flipkart than Amazon.

The second option is the TP-Link Deco M4 which is also good. It's priced much lower so easier to go for.

There is a cheaper version of TP_LINK, the E4. Be warned this has a limited Ethernet adapter of 100Mbps so if your broadband is 100 or more you will get only around 90-95 Mbps.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 15:05   #1792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have an Airtel 200mbps FTTH connection. The modem/router they gave is BDT-121 which has a 10/100 port. I understand that the mesh router will connect to the Airtel router on the LAN port and the speed will thus be limited to 100mbps - is that right ?

What router do you have from Airtel - does it have a gigabit port ?

Last edited by sdp1975 : 17th March 2020 at 15:09.
Old 17th March 2020, 16:05   #1793
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
I have an Airtel 200mbps FTTH connection. The modem/router they gave is BDT-121 which has a 10/100 port. I understand that the mesh router will connect to the Airtel router on the LAN port and the speed will thus be limited to 100mbps - is that right ?

What router do you have from Airtel - does it have a gigabit port ?
YEs Airtel said this was with Gigabit LAN and can support 500Mbps plan if I wanted to upgrade.

Mine is the Nokia G-140W-C modem.
Old 17th March 2020, 16:05   #1794
BHPian

Our router/ modem (Huwaei HG630 V2) from Airtel is acting up. Speeds drop erratically. After quite a few followups with the customer care am now inclined to get another modem/ router. Why? coz every time I restart the router, the speeds go back to what's expected.

Please suggest a good modem/ router with a 10-device connect capacity that works on a RJ-11 input and can sustain speeds in the 40Mbps download range?\.

The mesh options listed in the previous posts work on RJ-45 only :(

Thanks.
Old 17th March 2020, 16:24   #1795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
Our router/ modem (Huwaei HG630 V2) from Airtel is acting up. Speeds drop erratically. After quite a few followups with the customer care am now inclined to get another modem/ router. Why? coz every time I restart the router, the speeds go back to what's expected.

Please suggest a good modem/ router with a 10-device connect capacity that works on a RJ-11 input and can sustain speeds in the 40Mbps download range?\.

The mesh options listed in the previous posts work on RJ-45 only :(

Thanks.
Why do you need an RJ11 port ?
Whoever is the service provider will give you a modem/router that will have an RJ45 output, plug this into your router and be done.

Take a look at
D-Link-AC2600-MU-MIMO-Wi-Fi-Router

Edit: I re-read your post and get it now. i.e. the Airtel modem working up.
Just give it a shot, could be only the wifi channels have this problem. In case direct ethernet does not you can try this option.

Last edited by Fillmore : 17th March 2020 at 16:32.
Old 17th March 2020, 17:55   #1796
BHPian

I am looking for a simple Wi-Fi setup with limited budget. I have an ACT fibernet connection and I am looking for a simple router. How good is Mi Router 4C? It looks WFM..
Old 17th March 2020, 18:05   #1797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Why do you need an RJ11 port ?
Whoever is the service provider will give you a modem/router that will have an RJ45 output, plug this into your router and be done.

Take a look at
D-Link-AC2600-MU-MIMO-Wi-Fi-Router

Edit: I re-read your post and get it now. i.e. the Airtel modem working up.
Just give it a shot, could be only the wifi channels have this problem. In case direct ethernet does not you can try this option.
Thanks.

I'm sure the problem is not coz of the wifi, since my missus is practically hugging the modem (her docking station is connected via LAN to the modem) & we still have the problem.

Its wfh for both me & missus. So, I went ahead and ordered this as a stop-gap

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00RK5VU5M/..._t1_B00L4Z5FIW

In the near future, I plan to shift to Fibernet. Your advise will come handy then for sure
Old 17th March 2020, 18:20   #1798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The second option is the TP-Link Deco M4 which is also good. It's priced much lower so easier to go for.
I can vouch for the TP-Link M4. Have been using it for 6 months now and have never lost signal or faced a glitch. It connects all my devices in 3 floors without any problems. Even has ethernet ports that you can use to connect a device with an ethernet cable. Nothing better than a hard wired connection but I'd say this is the next best option.
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 07:52   #1799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchjyoti View Post
What can be a typical setup for a 2 BHK apartment?
One thing that we always compromise, is the placement of the router.

Initially, I had placed the router in one end of the living room of my 2BHK appartment and the signals would barely reach the end of the master bed.

I than played around with the placement and placed it in the end of the passage, towards the living room. This has resulted in excellent coverage on 5Ghz all through the house.

It does involve planning the power and doing internal wiring for the fibre, lan cables etc, but it's worth it.

Do look into possibilities of moving the router to somewhere middle of the house (mostly the passage) and you will not need to buy a mesh solution.

Any decent dual band AC1200 (DLink DIR 825) router would do. I am using a Netgear R7000 here, and even that couldn't cover the house without proper placement.

On Wi-Fi & Routers-img_20200318_075000.jpg
suku_patel_22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 23:44   #1800
Senior - BHPian

My secondary router, ie. the router that I used to extent the Wi-Fi reception in the other corner of the house is acting up the past 3-4 days.

It works fine all through the day, but every night at exactly 11pm to 12 midnight, the router stops transmitting internet. Through both WiFi as well as LAN. I've tried restarting the router & even reset it once, but the same issue recurs every night. It starts working itself after a fair bit of struggle of constantly restarting it & checking, every 10-12mins - but mostly I give up after 1 or 2 failed attempts.

The primary router (placed in my parents bedroom) is fine. It works ok all through the day (TOUCHWOOD). If it weren't for the lock-down I would've gotten a new router. If it weren't for social distancing, I'd have stayed near the bedroom. Heck, if it weren't for social distancing or the lockdown, I'd have slept by 11pm & never been bothered! This is getting on my nerves and I don't want to get irritated every night.

Pls advise, Thanks in advance!

P.S. : Parents advise I just forget it & go to sleep at the usual time.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 28th March 2020 at 00:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks