Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2006, 05:39   #541
BANNED

Revtech, the new laptops from HP are good. But if you happen to look around, you'll find that there're similar good ones with more attractive price tags.
And these days, every laptop maker are being conscious with the quality, so it'll be worth spending some time browsing others too.

Btw, what's your budget?
Old 18th October 2006, 14:10   #542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak
i think n_c's laptops a dv6000 too
Yup - dv6114tx to be precise.

btw guys - spoke to the Reliance guys regarding the Rconnect Express slot and as usual they dont give a damn. They say they are coming out with a USB data card on 20th October and it will cost 5000 Rs.

Absolute morons
Old 18th October 2006, 14:23   #543
BHPian

Most probably the Reliance guys are hearing about a Express slot for the first time.

NC, did you get a chance to look around in the local hardware market for a USB to PCMCIA adapter? I guess that will also be costly. May be you can try to bargain with the Reliance guys for some discount on the USB data card they are coming up with.
Old 18th October 2006, 14:34   #544
Senior - BHPian

Novice - yeah I asked around for USB to PCMCIA adapter - I got a quote for 12000 bucks. So i promptly shelved the idea.
Old 18th October 2006, 18:56   #545
Senior - BHPian

budget is about 50000 can be extended slightly.hows the HP nx 6310 ?

and whats the difference between the nx and the dv series.

Rev
Old 18th October 2006, 23:03   #546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
Novice - yeah I asked around for USB to PCMCIA adapter - I got a quote for 12000 bucks. So i promptly shelved the idea.
even if you get an adaptor. its gonna be really inconvinent cos the pcmcia card is gonna stick out of your laptop. the entire length of ther pcmcia car and a bit of the adaptor is gonna stick out so if your looking for portability i guess this isnt the best option. try gprs on your cell nd connect to the net via bluetooth if its installed in your laptop.

btw does anyone know how to install a bluetooth chip into your laptop? im not talking about a bluetooth adaptor but an actual bluetooth chip installed inside
Old 18th October 2006, 23:07   #547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak
Try the Compaq Presario 6102. It has Turion64, 1gb ram, 100gb hdd, nvidia goforce 6150 based graphics, very attractive design and a KEWL price tag of 54k.

Or try compaq 3029 with same config but 512 ram and 80gb hdd. Price is 42k. You can easily upgrade to 1gb ram for 3k.
Now, beat it!
hey revtech. this is a really deal. i think you should go in for it.
Old 19th October 2006, 00:19   #548
BANNED

Quote:
Try the Compaq Presario 6102. It has Turion64, 1gb ram, 100gb hdd, nvidia goforce 6150 based graphics, very attractive design and a KEWL price tag of 54k.

Or try compaq 3029 with same config but 512 ram and 80gb hdd. Price is 42k. You can easily upgrade to 1gb ram for 3k.
Now, beat it!
According to a salesperson here the price of Compaq 6102 has been revised to 52k. That's a steal!!!!!!!!

I strongly advise you to take a look around before you zero in on HP or whatsoever. Price difference between the above compaq and an identical HP would be about 10k. The advantage of HP would be an inbuilt webcam though.
I dont think HP is a good VFM as Compaq and the build quality is almost identical.
Old 19th October 2006, 00:42   #549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak

btw does anyone know how to install a bluetooth chip into your laptop? im not talking about a bluetooth adaptor but an actual bluetooth chip installed inside
Its impracticle to install bluetooth chip inside a laptop the circuitry/board is not designed for that which dont have bluetooth by default, better off buy a converter costing 400-600 bucks rather than dismantling laptop.

@ N_C wait for sometime since this express slot technology is new many people dont know about it that why its so expensive i have got a quote for 14K from other source. may be in 2-3 months down the line reliance might come up with express slot data card. or the converter will get cheap.
Old 19th October 2006, 08:51   #550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
According to a salesperson here the price of Compaq 6102 has been revised to 52k. That's a steal!!!!!!!!

I strongly advise you to take a look around before you zero in on HP or whatsoever. Price difference between the above compaq and an identical HP would be about 10k. The advantage of HP would be an inbuilt webcam though.
I dont think HP is a good VFM as Compaq and the build quality is almost identical.
HP and Compaq introduce many models with an identical chassis and build quality and everytihng. the only difference is that the HP will have a slightly better price nd some added things here nd there nd ofcourse a bigger price tag
Old 19th October 2006, 09:40   #551
Senior - BHPian

HP Laptops, Express cards and Data Cards. Reliance Or TATA

I am the owner of a 2 month old Compaq 2025. The computer is OK though the shiny finish gets dusty and full of fingerprints really quick. The finish of the area around the screen is quite bad and looks painted!
Specs are OK with a 1.73 Duo Core Processor, 512 MB of RAM, 100 GB SATA hard disk, Dual layer DVD writer with Scribe and Wi-Fi, W-Lan, bluetooth etc. Has 3 USB ports and a built in camera and a Bloody Express card Slot. NO PCMCIA SLOT!!!
It came with the Reliance and Tata free Data Card offer, where you essentially pay Rs 3600/- (600 for installation(!!!) and other nonsense and Rs 3000 for 3 months of unlimited browsing and downloads.
However neither Reliance nor Tata have Express Data Cards and you have to make do with USB Data cards. Both these comanies have no stock of these data cards and have no idea about when they will get stock.
NowI have a laptop with no data card available anywhere in the market. If anybody could help I'd be greatful.
By the way, which card should I choose, Tata or Reliance. I don't travel too much and hence fabulous coverage (area) is not a priority. Thanks.

Last edited by jyobeb : 19th October 2006 at 09:46.
Old 19th October 2006, 09:56   #552
Team-BHP Support

Reliance is better if you are looking at net access. Tata rides on VSNL(partially owned) backbone, and just a little google search will tell you about the horror stores about VSNL-Tata combine. They make Tata motors look like angels.
I have done quite some net surfing on Reliance mobile phones, and the speeds are decent.
One question though. Is it possible for you to get a no frills reliance connection instead of the card. You can connect your phone to the laptop easily and do surfing, but data card is indeed a better solution.
Old 19th October 2006, 10:06   #553
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the reply TSK. I have a general aversion towards Reliance and hence my reason for checking out TATA. I have found that browsing using a Reliance phone using a data cable much slower than on the Data card.
Can anyone up North or West get me either a Tata or a Reliance USB Data Card. I am assured that they will work with the same network in tamilnadu.
Old 19th October 2006, 11:21   #554
BHPian

USB data cards are still not available from either of the Service providers.

I have a HPdv series laptop of a older generation, which have a PCMCIA slot. I opted for the TATA Indicom connection (as both TATA and Reliance connections were available), and I was charged for 3300 INR towards advance rental (no installtion charge). I found their speed good enough unlike tsk.

Later switched to a broadband connection after the 3 months offer with a Wireless setup, found to be more economical and suitable for my kinda use.
Old 19th October 2006, 11:22   #555
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Reliance is better if you are looking at net access..
I use a mix of Tata and Hutch. Hutch offers roaming outside India and works on a SIM card that you can remove and put in your mobile. Tata is faster in Mumbai maybe because most everyone is on Reliance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks