Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2007, 14:46   #691
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
For the kind of applications that you have planned to run, I still feel a desktop will do more justice than a laptop. I have tried photoshop etc on a laptop BUT on a 19inch widescreen desktop, image editing is a different experience. The problem is that, even if you arent happy with your laptop you will be stuck with it, atleast in a desktop you can upgrade a card or change the display...
Yes I considered that too. But I hardly spend much time at home. I keep moving between places quite often. So need to have a mobile workstation. Wanted to upgrade my desktop in the first place. But later decided upon a laptop looking at the powerful and reliable ones in the market and even my mobility problem.
Old 29th May 2007, 14:52   #692
Team-BHP Support

choose a widescreen laptop withe XVGA display (1600x1200 rez). That should come close to a desktop.
Old 29th May 2007, 15:03   #693
BHPian

Guys please see the my above post with the specs and prices of the 4 laptops. I want to know if the Fujitsu one is good enough to go for or ill go for the Dell/HP one with the 256MB Nvidia (shared???)
Old 29th May 2007, 16:44   #694
Senior - BHPian

there is a specific laptop by dell with a specific GPu for such programs. I guess the name is precision M90. check it out.
Old 29th May 2007, 16:50   #695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen_Power View Post
devarshi,

Around 40K because i just assembled new desktop before 3 months so i dont want it for gaming.

acer's are not the best in any case but you can get a lightweight 12-14inch notebook pc.

Also look for lenovo ( only the proper IBM notebooks in this range are good though)
Old 30th May 2007, 20:12   #696
BHPian

Thats the last I could find. So now its either the Dell Inspiron 6400 (with 256MB Nvidia) / HP Pavilion (with 256MB nvidia)/FujitsuSiemens (with 512MB nvidia)

Staying away from Fujitsu because it sounds very alien to me. If someone assures me the brand, I will happily buy that. Bang for the buck,very cheap.

Dell is the top most priority but HP is relatively cheaper but again, HP laptops, I have no idea.
Old 31st May 2007, 07:24   #697
BANNED

Please help me to select me a laptop within a budget of 45-50K.

PS : I'm still a student and my parents are the VC's !!!
Old 31st May 2007, 11:46   #698
Mav
BHPian

@ mithun In 45-50K you can get a good Compaq deal for a Dual Core, 1 gig ram and NVIDIA graphic card.

However, personally I use an IBM think pad X60 series (12.1' TFT). I am into IT and travel a lot. My criteria for choosing a laptop is that it should have a good ram (I have 2 gigs), fast HDD, atleast core duo processor (however quad core is on the way but its gonna cost a fortune), decent graphic card (I love higher resolutions). 12.1' might sound smaller display to some but I use a docking station with a separate 19' LCD. So when I am on move I just carry a small 12.1' and when I am at my workstation I just put my notebook on to my docking station which connects my notebook to external monitor. Trust me any laptop screen bigger than 14' makes you cry while travelling. So IMHO one should go for an external monitor if they don't like small (read 12') notebook screens.
Old 31st May 2007, 12:04   #699
Mav
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by furioussphinx View Post
Thats the last I could find. So now its either the Dell Inspiron 6400 (with 256MB Nvidia) / HP Pavilion (with 256MB nvidia)/FujitsuSiemens (with 512MB nvidia)

Staying away from Fujitsu because it sounds very alien to me. If someone assures me the brand, I will happily buy that. Bang for the buck,very cheap.

Dell is the top most priority but HP is relatively cheaper but again, HP laptops, I have no idea.
Have you thought about MacBook Pro. It is based on intel chipset and has 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor. And the best part is you can run both Mac OS X and windows XP from the same box.
However, just one word of caution - even if you have similar desktop and notebook configuration's the desktop processor will be at least 30% faster than notebook. So if you have 10 hours of rendering on a desktop, it will translate into 13 hours with notebook. But Macs are supposed to cope up well with graphic programs. So this can be one option which you can consider.
Let me know what you think. happy shopping ...
Old 1st June 2007, 02:23   #700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
Have you thought about MacBook Pro.
Do you also realise that the boy is on a budget & cannot afford something as expensive as the Mac Book?
Old 1st June 2007, 02:39   #701
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

go for dell...and stay away from compaq hp and lenovo
Old 1st June 2007, 03:35   #702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Lenovo is a no-no. Dell is my first preference inspiron 5400. Next come hp pavilion series and later Toshiba Satellite series.
Old 1st June 2007, 03:42   #703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Lenovo is a no-no. Dell is my first preference inspiron 5400. Next come hp pavilion series and later Toshiba Satellite series.
Old 1st June 2007, 04:44   #704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3 of my friends have probelem with various modls of dell laps,nothinh much, overheats and shutdown as fan get clogged easily.

lenovo is the best ( was IBM) and then HP or toshiba. Check out lenovo Y series.
Old 1st June 2007, 09:39   #705
Mav
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Do you also realise that the boy is on a budget & cannot afford something as expensive as the Mac Book?
Oh did not see the budget , but I was more stuck on the performance part as the usage is going for high end multimedia stuff like 3D. Most of the notebooks mentioned here are business notebooks and not good enough for multimedia programs.

Also I completely forgot about mtech, they claim to be the fastest and cheapest in the world. You can also customize machine according to your need.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks