Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2007, 12:16   #721
Senior - BHPian

they are also good..better than the HP and compaq
Old 14th June 2007, 12:58   #722
Senior - BHPian

acer's are good value for money. But they dont last well. If you are planning to keep the lappie for 3-4 years I would suggest

1. Lenovo Thinkpad's are the best in ergonomics and quality you can get in a laptop. Only look at the thinkpad(IBM) lineup.

2. Hp pavilion is extremely recommended. HP's new designs are good and fun to use.

3. Dell Inspiron 6400. Its not the best looking laptop and is also on the heavier side but still a good product.
Old 14th June 2007, 13:21   #723
BHPian

I have a HP Pavilion Dv1000 series Laptop that is one year old. I bought for 55,000 one year back. I would like to sell the same and I would like to know how much I would get now. Below are the specifications.

Processor: Intel Centrino Mobile 1.66 GHtz.
RAM: 512 MB.
Hard Disk: 80 GB
ADditional Features: DVD DL writer, Wi-Fi enabled, Inbuilt bluetooth, Inbuilt WebCam, 6-in-1 card reader, remote, altec-lansing speakers.
14 inches widescreen.

So, please tell me how much money I can expect.

thanks

Last edited by ravi@64bhp : 14th June 2007 at 13:32.
Old 14th June 2007, 13:48   #724
BHPian

Thanks Devarshi and LBM.

The Thinkpads are wayyy out of budget so am not looking at them.
The Dell problem I have mentioned.

So guess its between HP/Compaq and Acer. Now Lappies with the same config are costing more in HP as well as Compaq than Acer.

I need to keep the lappy for AT LEAST 2 yrs, maybe 3.

Now I do know of decent service for HP/Compaqs and they do have decent build, but I have absolutely no idea about Acer.

It seems I am confused for nothing as the choices seem clear, BUTTT i am not on a lavish budget, so Acers are really great VFM for me right now.

Its just that I have NO idea abt them.(I am unable to find reviews on them @ notebookreview.com) They may be specific models for the Indian market, which CAN be a reason.
So any review on them would be really appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 17th June 2007, 23:02   #725
BHPian

see if you can have an US or Canadian friend get you a Dell from there. Go to Dell india site and compare same model on US or Canadian site. They are 40 per cent or more cheaper there than in India. Product is top-notch, but don't get ripped off.
Old 17th June 2007, 23:17   #726
BHPian

@filcord
Hmm I know of that. Just that the person I know there aint coming to India soon. So......
BTW I came across a decent config Toshiba. Have decided to go for it. Hopefully will finally decide by wednesday.
Old 18th June 2007, 11:03   #727
Senior - BHPian

Strange Laptop problem!! Can anyone help??

Guys i have a Compaq Presario 1500 laptop which is around 4 years old. Now it has developed a strange display problem. The problem is that the display is like a negative image ie., white background looks greyish black and the text i'm typing in looks greyish white. The red team-bhp bar looks like turquoish in colour. The screen light intensity varies a lot (like a tube light with a bad starter) and the screen would come back to normal for one or two seconds.

First the problem seemed to crop up after a couple of hours of usage of the laptop. And the display would be allright when the machine is turned off and turned on after one or two hours, but then again the prob would crop up.

This is not a driver/software problem as the display condition is same even when the system is booting up and is in BIOS stage. Does anyone has any clue as to what the problem could be?? I plan to open up the lappie myself.
Old 18th June 2007, 14:53   #728
Senior - BHPian

the circuit wire to the lcd has developed a defect or has broken. Get it repaired by a technician.
Old 5th July 2007, 13:36   #729
BHPian

Hi fellas
I have been using an Acer lappy for some time now and quite satisfied with it.
I m looking at purchasing a laptop for my wife this weekend. She will be using the laptop for making presentations/general surfing/chatting and watching movies.

Suggestions on a good laptop for under 35k in Mumbai? I live in Navi Mumbai and wil be going to the Geonet shop (sec 17, vashi).. I m also looking at the finance option.. Ideas/suggestions please

sankar : my acer lappy to has developed a similar thing. a one inch wide vertical strip is yellowish in color in the right hand of the screen. some one told me the wire has a prob.. shall be getting it fixed soon

Last edited by BunnyPunia : 5th July 2007 at 13:38.
Old 5th July 2007, 13:50   #730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I live in Navi Mumbai and wil be going to the Geonet shop (sec 17, vashi)
Their main office is in Center One.
Old 5th July 2007, 13:53   #731
BHPian

Thanks BUSA. Shall try to negotiate on a good deal tomm evening
Old 5th July 2007, 14:21   #732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi@64bhp View Post
I have a HP Pavilion Dv1000 series Laptop that is one year old. I bought for 55,000 one year back. I would like to sell the same and I would like to know how much I would get now. Below are the specifications.

Processor: Intel Centrino Mobile 1.66 GHtz.
RAM: 512 MB.
Hard Disk: 80 GB
ADditional Features: DVD DL writer, Wi-Fi enabled, Inbuilt bluetooth, Inbuilt WebCam, 6-in-1 card reader, remote, altec-lansing speakers.
14 inches widescreen.

So, please tell me how much money I can expect.

thanks
You should jump for joy if you get anything above 25k. someone here bought a very similar config 12.1" thinkpad for 21k from a dealer.
Old 5th July 2007, 20:59   #733
BHPian

hi
Guys am looking for a laptop which will give me good performance for gaming, movies and other general stuff.It would be more of a desktop replacement.My needs are:
17 inch display
min 2GB ram
Intel core2 duo
a very good graphics card(preferably nvidia)
a dvd writer
The hdd space isnt a concern.I am really impressed by the dell XPS-M1710 (minus the blu-ray).Amazing specs but expensive.Although i could find some good deals on e-bay and something around Rs150000 can be managed.
So any more suggestions??And will dell provide assistance for this product since its not launched in India?
Old 5th July 2007, 23:45   #734
Senior - BHPian

your only choice for the real stuff is the dell xps. But do wait before buying. dell is ready to unleash something really big. I can tell you this becausethey have lost some good numbers last year and they want to get back.

gaming systems are usually high end so be sure that what you buy is future compatible. Nvidia 8K series and ati 2K series are a must (they are dx10 supported)along with a 64-bit dual core cpu. Newer games do make use of these technologies.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 5th July 2007 at 23:48.
Old 6th July 2007, 10:15   #735
Senior - BHPian

Is the Asus G2S available in India ? Their website doesn't mention it, but I read somewhere a while ago about Asus talking about the G1 and G2 in India.

The G2S is the one with the Santa Rosa I believe.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks