Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2007, 15:31   #811
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Really? And says who? Have you personally experienced Dell India's service? Reason I ask is because I've been using Dell's for the past 4 years & the service has nothing been exemplary. They come anywhere in the country (Yes, ANYWHERE) within the shortest possible time (24 hours for me) with all needed replacement parts (after diagnosis on phone) so that your machine has the minimum downtime & there is no repair involved, only replacement.

And actually, their warranty on Laptops sold in India is valid all over the Asia-Pacific so if you're in one of those countries & have a problem, they'll sort it out for you there too.

Please check your sources before posting such derogatory comments about a brand.

Glad to hear your hunky dory experiences with DELL services, can you share your service experiences for DELL laptops outside warranty , and the cost of spares ?

I have nothing against the brand , and currently have 2 dell laptops (D2610 & Vostro1400) and a TOSHIBA in india , dells are miles ahead in terms of reliabilty and ive put them to absolute torture , same is not the case with my TOSHIBA , was harping on the A.S.S aspect of dell as ive had bitter experiences of spares unavailability for my DELL, wheras i was able to take my TOSHIBA down the road to fix it .

And I don't agree to the fact that DELL's are being fixed within 24 hours (ANYWHERE in the country) , it took me 14 days (10 days to be precise excluding weekends) to fix mine out of coimbatore .

Cheers
Old 16th October 2007, 16:01   #812
Senior - BHPian

Hi friends,I have a HP DV6000 Notebook Intel Core2duo 1.73GHz with 2GB ram the problem is it has a shared 256mb graphic card,can i install a graphic card to it,and i even want to downgrade from Windows Vista Home Premium to XP SP2,and accidently i have uninstalled the Bluetooth how do i get it back,does anyone here Uses/Used the DV6000 from HP???
Old 16th October 2007, 21:00   #813

@ramie2400

You can consider a USB SVGA. I would not suggest these if you play games on it or watch audiophile grade videos.
Search around the market for PCI Slot Expansion Systems. These are basically externally connected slots. You can further add a video card of your own choice to it.
Old 23rd November 2007, 21:37   #814
Senior - BHPian

@BHPians who use Dell notebooks:How has the Dell experience been?
Old 24th November 2007, 21:01   #815
BHPian

I have used Dell Latitude D600 for quite some time. The machine was awesome on processing speed and stability but keyboard was not steady. I mean was not so sturdy and a few of my friend actually broke them. Similar was my experience with Dell Latitude D620. However the D620 is heavy as well. Now I am using HP NX7400 with 1.86 GHz duo core, 1 GB RAM, DVD Burner with Lightscribe and its an amazing machine. Just love it. Costed me 75K around 7 months back
Old 25th November 2007, 00:44   #816
BHPian

dell has a pretty lousy keyboard..... after a while i dont know if its dirt or what..... it jus doesnt work as well as its supposed to. and when you use it rough it jus gives up!

i'm getting a HP TX1320US by new years. i think people looking for a small portable lappy should consider this...comes with touchscreen and costs around $1200. it costs around Rs. 75k here.... but i know a guy who is ready to sell new ones for $1500. its on order basis. delivery time 2-3 weeks..... very reliable...... 3rd lappy i'm buying from him.
Old 25th November 2007, 10:22   #817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post

I use a Dell Inspiron 640m, so far it has been a great experience! The laptop performs very well and the support has been good till now, too. I am surprised to see that some of the Dell customers on this forum arent happy. But I really vouch for Dell, they are really competitive in terms of prices and products but it is real value for money.
Old 25th November 2007, 11:22   #818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Have used both Dell 620 and 610. Both were terrible in comparison with HP models I had earlier. 620 had its motherboard, harddisk, powersupply and keyboard replaced in just 2 years. Would recommend to consider HP/Lenovo/Mac brands for reliability.
Old 25th November 2007, 11:51   #819
Senior - BHPian

I recently baught new laptop after my both the laptops showing age after 6 years of hard usage (average 8hrs use per day) and travelled with me even in picnic/site seeing all over India.

My old laptops are Compaq and both baught in USA in 2001. Still both are in good condition but I wanted to buy new laptop with high end configuration.

I did lot of research and found HP 6516Tx is best model its similar or same as what "ramie2400" has described in this thread.

I recommand this model very much because within 2 months of usage i can see its really good!

It has cost me 55,000/- and few free gifts.

For the price and features it offers its really good model.

Vista is bit worrying factor but i could easily set up tata indicom dialer, bsnl/airtel broadband, airtel gprs easily, no problem in configuration!

People who stay in Bangalore and around I recomand HP or Compaq the reason in Bangalore one can get very good service from HP/compaq.

For Indian usage HP/Compaq is easy to sue and maintain. Thats what I found on survey.

Othe than this promising brands are Lenovo/IBM/Dell in india. Technically speaking Acer has lot of glitches but it will work out cheap buy!

According to me for students/home use nothing can beat compaq and for corporates IBM/Lenovo/HP in India.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 25th November 2007, 12:13   #820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post
I use a Dell Inspiron 640m, so far it has been a great experience! The laptop performs very well and the support has been good till now, too. I am surprised to see that some of the Dell customers on this forum arent happy. But I really vouch for Dell, they are really competitive in terms of prices and products but it is real value for money.
. I too have been using the same above mentioned model for the past 1.5 yrs and have not faced any major problem. There was one instance where my DVD drive refused to read CDs but would read only DVDs. I called up the Customer Care center and the drive was duly replaced with a brand new one in a matter of 3 days (FOC since it was within the warranty period). I had heard a lot of people complaining about DELL @$$ but after this quick response, I was pretty happy. I find it very
[COLOR=black]competitively [/COLOR]priced.

I have one question. Currently, I am running Vista Ultimate and my laptop configuration includes the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950. I can play quite a few games like NFS Most Wanted without any problems with the display but when I play Quake 4, there are certain screens where the display is quite slow. And at one point the game refuses to proceed. Also, games like NFS Carbon fail to even start. I think that it's due to the lack of a good graphics card. Is there any way I can install a good graphics card on the laptop? If so, which one to consider?
Old 25th November 2007, 12:24   #821
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys,
I own a Sony Vaio VGN-S560P laptop. It's close to 2 years old, and has behaved beautifully so far. But a couple of days back, a strange issue cropped up. The CD/DVD drive is not reading discs (any kind) anymore. The CD drive icon is showing up in "My Computer", but on double clicking it a blank folder opens up, even when there is a CD/DVD in it.
I contacted Sony tech support online, but they weren't of much help.
Tried the following things with no success:
- Installed latest firware version for drive
- Rebooted
- Used system restore to reset the system settings to a previous day's, when things were working fine.
No luck.

Any suggestions?
Old 25th November 2007, 14:18   #822
Senior - BHPian

That's a common problem Razor, your combo drive has packed up. Try cleaning the lens to see if it resolves the problem, otherwise the only solution is to get a new drive.
Old 5th December 2007, 09:51   #823
BANNED

Best Laptop in India for 75k

Hi Guys,

Looking to buy a laptop pretty urgently like before this weekend and would like your suggestions on make & specs to go in for. Giving my requirements below.

1> As small & sleek as possible(lightweight)
2> All the hi-fi stuff provided(bluetooth, wi-fi fire wire,USB etc)
3> DVD Combo
4> Min 1GB RAM
5> Min 80GB Hard Disk

It is mainly going to be used for accessing Email & surfing on the move and giving presentations and the occassional hearing music and watching movies.

Looking forward to your inputs. Need something available and sold in Mumbai with good support.

Viper
Old 5th December 2007, 10:14   #824
Team-BHP Support

viper - how about a macbook? you can hop over to the apple store in atria and check it out.
Old 5th December 2007, 10:15   #825
BANNED

Hi Akshay,

Sorry forgot to mention no Apple for me. Would want a Windows XP based laptop.

Viper

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks