Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2006, 22:40   #391
BHPian

Hi,
Can you suggest me a good light weight laptop, around 1.4 kg or lighter,.
I already own an IMB T42, i am looking for a replacement.
Old 6th April 2006, 04:19   #392
Senior - BHPian

I cant stop laughing.

Is this a true story?
Old 6th April 2006, 04:34   #393
SLK
Senior - BHPian

its a very old.. Fwd... can't be true!...
though... if I get a car for 25$.. with 1000miles/gallon ... i don't mind any or all of these unique features.
Old 6th April 2006, 04:40   #394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netarchie
Hi,
Can you suggest me a good light weight laptop, around 1.4 kg or lighter,.
I already own an IMB T42, i am looking for a replacement.
If u have a good budget then try to look at sony vaio lighweights. They are the best lightweights in business but cost a bomb too.otherwise any 14" centrino lighweight may do the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzin_hornets
hey rpm.. have u heard abt the intel dual core processors.. dell gave a good deal for my friend.. dual core processor, 2gb ram, 80gb scsi i think.. dvd writer ..other usual stuff wifi bt, car reader etc 17" i think wide.... something arnd 72k

pm if u can get me a good deal for the dualcore similar or better config..
~cheers
-Ash
Centrino duo doesnt really offer a special advantage over the normal centrino due to two reasons.

1) the same architecture isnt really as efficient with the new 65nm tech

2) Lack of applications that actually use Dual core processing.

3) THere is a defect with power loss through USB ports(not sure if the problem is solved or not)

Better dual cores are supposed to come out this summer with the turion x2 and intel merom cores( merom is rumoured to be better than turion X2)

If buying right now better stick to turion. Prices are less and you get more efficient hypertransport tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_lover
i dont think they have the centrino in AW machines ..i checked last week on the canadian website and they had the P-4's ..
yeah ..they are big man ...student laptops ... i am in 2 minds ...wether to go wid power n bulk ..or go for somethin way smaller like the VAIO ..

cheers

AW until recently only had P-4 machines but recently they have introduced the centrino machines too.

The biggest bad*ss machine right now is the amd fx-57 powered with nvidia 7800 graphics. Weighs 13 pounds compared to other laptops but also performs similarly.

One of the reasons DEll bought Alienware. So that they can get AMD backdoor and still get intel discounts on bulk purchases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulken Auto
Told you they offer everything , but AW is popular for gaming power.
If you r american kid, the first thing that comes to mind for word AW is gamin....

I have a xps which is a competitor of AW (gamin segment) this is for laptops
not true. Its just one of the boutique manufactuerers.

Sager's are also equally popular. www.notebookforums.com which is the biggest notebook info website is sponsored by pctorque( resellers for sager)

also popular are www.voodopc.com www.hypersonic-pc.com

you woul also want to check out fragbooks. they look really cool.

http://www.falcon-nw.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak
alienwares are damn cool dude but the prices are damn high and iv heard that the quality and after sales service is Crap
anyways temmehow u like it
JUst to let you know Alienware is now officially sold to Dell. Dell owns alienware. There is a thread on the forums if you want to know more about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
If you are looking at premium brands, might want to check out http://usa.asus.com/products/notebook/nbindex.htm also. Simply fantastic quality!

GTO
Asus used to be the OEM for Brands Like Apple, IBM and sony and others which were known for their build quality always.
Old 6th April 2006, 12:49   #395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
JUst to let you know Alienware is now officially sold to Dell. Dell owns alienware. There is a thread on the forums if you want to know more about it.
yea i read about that. I had posted this a year ago!!!. I hope the after sales service improves cos iv heard some real nasty stuff about their support
Old 23rd April 2006, 14:47   #396
BHPian

Good Laptop deals online?

Hi
I wanted to buy a laptop for educational and business purposes.
My basic requirements are as follows:
1) Centrino core duo processor
2) At least 512 MB RAM
3) Good hardware support for unix/linux (alongwith windows)

I travel pretty frequently to USA and can buy the laptop online in USA
Please suggest me a good model and online store where I can buy it.

I am inclined towards Dell or Lenovo laptops as I got review from some of my friends that these two have good h/w support for linux.

But I am confused between which specific model to buy.
My budget is about $1000 to $1200.
Old 23rd April 2006, 22:39   #397
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitaparadh
can buy the laptop online in USA

I am inclined towards Dell
Hey Abhi........

Look at ebay USA. They have some absolute STEALS when it comes to dell laptops. I'm talking about brand new dell laptops. There are tons of them on ebay, and if you watch them closely sometimes you can pay upto $300-900 less than what you would at dell.com or at a store.

cya
R
Old 23rd April 2006, 23:37   #398
Senior - BHPian

centrino duo is about to drop in prices soon.

and wait for 2 months. new 64-bit dual core cpu's are coming then from both intel and amd.

with latest technologies they will run linux and windows alike.

dont go for a dell unless you get an extra coupon over the current coupons

hp has some straight good deals ender education Premium pricing. go for the turion counterparts for some good deals.
Old 26th April 2006, 14:21   #399
BHPian

Whatever you do, don't buy laptops from eBay. Unless it's a platinum seller. On eBay, the shipping often runs into 100s of $.
Some good online stores are www.ncix.com (amazing deals, Canada based), www.futureshop.ca (free shipping), www.thesourcecc.com

If you are buying now, I'd recommend buying AMD Turion based laptops. Not only are they cool, they have 1600 Mhz of FSB with a 2MB L2 cache. And of course they are 64 bit. Even the Centrino Duo won't have that. On ncix.com, u'll find some good deals on Acer laptops including the Ferrari.
Old 26th April 2006, 14:35   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
Hey Abhi........

Look at ebay USA. They have some absolute STEALS when it comes to dell laptops. I'm talking about brand new dell laptops. There are tons of them on ebay, and if you watch them closely sometimes you can pay upto $300-900 less than what you would at dell.com or at a store.

cya
R
It is true that there are a lot of such laptops for sale on e-bay. But you need to be really careful 'cause DELL is based on "Direct Model" which means everything sold outside the dell.com website is through a reseller & once the system is bought through a reseller there are lot of complications in terms of warranty and stuff like that...

Its better that you call them on their toll free and negotiate for a good deal. They can often match or better the e-bay deals...
Old 26th April 2006, 14:36   #401
BHPian

Check out the 50% off $1500 deals that Dell sometimes offers.

Here's a link: http://www.edealinfo.com/dell/
Old 26th April 2006, 14:44   #402
BHPian

[COLOR=#606420]Dell Latitude D610 Notebook, Pentium M 1.73GHz, 14.1" XGA, 1GB DDR, 40GB, 24x CD-ROM, XP Home, 802.11b/g WLAN, 3 Yr Warranty » only $999.00 + Free Shipping[/COLOR]

Looks like a cool deal... A pretty decent laptop as well. I am currently using the D600, diff. being no WLAN and only 256MB RAM.
Old 27th April 2006, 01:05   #403
BHPian

I am not a big fan of Dell. 2 of my buddys' Inspiron's hard disk crashed in its 1st year and he had to send it back to Dell. Also their screen is awful, the viewing angle is very small and even the brightness isn't that great. Also they make bulky laptops acc. to me.
If u try u can get a Toshiba with a Centrino or an Acer with a Turion in ur price range.
Old 27th April 2006, 05:41   #404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri
Whatever you do, don't buy laptops from eBay. Unless it's a platinum seller. On eBay, the shipping often runs into 100s of $.
Some good online stores are www.ncix.com (amazing deals, Canada based), www.futureshop.ca (free shipping), www.thesourcecc.com

If you are buying now, I'd recommend buying AMD Turion based laptops. Not only are they cool, they have 1600 Mhz of FSB with a 2MB L2 cache. And of course they are 64 bit. Even the Centrino Duo won't have that. On ncix.com, u'll find some good deals on Acer laptops including the Ferrari.

also Amd is much ahead with Hypertransport while intel is still lagging with FSB's.

tigerdirect.ca
thesourcecc.com
futureshop.ca
compusmart.com
canadacomputers.com

US

costco.com
samstores.com( some of the best deals here)
walmart
compusa
hpshopping (free shipping and negotiations possible)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri
I am not a big fan of Dell. 2 of my buddys' Inspiron's hard disk crashed in its 1st year and he had to send it back to Dell. Also their screen is awful, the viewing angle is very small and even the brightness isn't that great. Also they make bulky laptops acc. to me.
If u try u can get a Toshiba with a Centrino or an Acer with a Turion in ur price range.

so true. Dell is like toyota of laptops. Quality is not the best with a large production capacity.

look for acer ferrari 4002. I last saw it for $1500. Dunno if the deal is still on.

Also look for alienware(now bought by dell but operating independantly). They are currently giving free upgrades like memory, additional batteries, media center OS and instant rebates.
Old 27th April 2006, 09:23   #405
BHPian

i would say go for DELL..
i use to work for DELL and the importance given to cust over there is very high...
they will do anything to get cust satafication...

Hp is also good but i would say DELL alll the way..............

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks