Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2006, 14:54   #331
Distinguished - BHPian

OK guys - APPPLE WAALAAAAS PLease help.

Firstly, after all this rigmarole and after almost ordering my Ferrari, I have decided, with a little help from my friends, on taking the plunge - goodbye PC hello tiger! So sorry about this whole thing, but hey- i'm gonna be a macboy!
Now - the classic question. I can get a G4 or the Macbookpro.
Price - My vendor (In India, bangalore to be precise) is able to give me both.
I am choosing between the 17" PowerbookG4, 1GB ram, dual layer DVD writer etc
or the 15" Macbookpro - Intel dual processor. Newer machine, supposedly faster, but there are some major software glitches as most software companies are playing catch up.

My problems: The new generation G4 powerbook, with the OSX tiger is amazing and fully matured, zero glitches etc etc.
The new Macbook pro (my vendor says) is the first gen product of a new platform and will 100% have glitches which will be corrected soon.
The faster performace, will not be appreciated by me because of the software i use and i will appreciate the stability and intuitiveness of the G4 powerbook which is positively fantastic and ofcourse in the right size that i want (17")
BUT - I dont want to buy an "older" product. Older in commas, because this "Older" computer has a dual layer dvd writer and a 100GBHDD while the macbookpro has a few features watered down, ad the DVD writer is single layered.
I want the G4 stable platform. But i dont want apple experts to look at me in wonder and ask why the hell i didnt buy the new intel mac!
Now what?
Old 20th January 2006, 15:30   #332
Team-BHP Support

Check out the new carbon fibre VAIO in today's TOI. Thats niceeeee...
Old 20th January 2006, 17:11   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Now what?
NOW you're getting a taste of your own medicine - that's WHAT!!!

What goes around, comes around. Revenge, sweet revenge!

You're now in geek hell!
Old 20th January 2006, 18:56   #334
Team-BHP Support

Apple is moving to intel now.
So if you want power PC buy the obsolete G4, otherwise you are better with an AMD 64bit. Mac OSX will give you the same issues as linux as you are s windows dude and apple OS is unix based just like linux.
Old 20th January 2006, 19:37   #335

Hey don't think twice....
SONY VAIO is worth the pay...What ever config...
Old 21st January 2006, 02:50   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Check out the new carbon fibre VAIO in today's TOI. Thats niceeeee...

check out the new lamborghini you will forget sony or acer ferrari and even the dell xps170

Its got a small display on the cover so you dont need to use the laptop all the time and use it like a PDA when its off.

its made by asus. got ati x1600 256mb 90nm gpu

intel Duo

Now I am confused

I want the asus notebook with lamborghini brand but amd and nvidia processors.
Old 21st January 2006, 12:39   #337
Team-BHP Support

Sadly sony does not sell AMD in india.
Old 21st January 2006, 22:04   #338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Sadly sony does not sell AMD in india.

sony doesnt sell AMD's anymor after Intel forced the manufacturers around 2002 to stop selling AMD's
Old 22nd January 2006, 11:04   #339
Team-BHP Support

But inspite of this things arent going good for intel. While AMD reported large jumps in profits, causing the share price to zoom above 34 levels, intel performed poorly dragging down the tech stocks.
Also 2004-2005 was a decisive year for amd as the % of amd chips went above 50% for the first time in non pre packaged market(Dell HP etc., are the pre-packaged market and sell intel only im many cses).
Old 22nd January 2006, 12:59   #340
BHPian

Laptop....Hmmmm....

When U Say Laptop, Only One Brand Comes To Mind.... Sony.
The New Vaio's Maybe Expensive. But Quality Definitely Shows.

Cheers

PsychoLyn

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd January 2006 at 14:09.
Old 22nd January 2006, 19:18   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But inspite of this things arent going good for intel. While AMD reported large jumps in profits, causing the share price to zoom above 34 levels, intel performed poorly dragging down the tech stocks.
No matter what happens, AMD will never come close to Intel. They know that as well and their target is to address the niche markets, which they have been doing successfully.

We've heard talk about Intel's doom for ages now...there was Cyrix which threatened to take the assembled PC market, the Transmeta which was supposed to kill them in the laptop segment, and so on and so forth.

Intel still rules the market. Will do so unless something really drastic happens and turns the world on its head. Making a processor just slightly faster and more efficient isnt going to make business go AMDs way - I know very little about how these processors work, but I do know one thing for sure...it takes a lot more than just a slightly better product to overthrow a brand thats straddling the market like Intel. Its synonimous with computing.

Last edited by Steeroid : 22nd January 2006 at 19:19.
Old 22nd January 2006, 19:49   #342
Team-BHP Support

amd is neither transmeta nor cyrix. In non branded PC market its already taken leading market share. In high end server market, esp in silicon design its amd lead. The reason is that amd is not alone. Both sun and ibm have started selling amd based systems. Once dell starts shipping amd intel throne will be in serious trouble.
By taking lead in 64bit space, amd has ensured itself a place in the future. 64bit was a niche till recently, but now is a must in any heavy duty computing environment.
Old 22nd January 2006, 20:47   #343
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
No matter what happens, AMD will never come close to Intel. They know that as well and their target is to address the niche markets, which they have been doing successfully.
True, That’s what I also believe. Have owned AMDs in past, but those were the days when AMDs used to overheat, so ultimately ended up getting rid of them.

Quote:
By taking lead in 64bit space, amd has ensured itself a place in the future. 64bit was a niche till recently, but now is a must in any heavy duty computing environment.
Yes, that’s where Intel has been worst hit!

Throughout AMD has claimed its processors to be faster than corresponding intels... but never could it take lead.

I don't know about the latest AMDs but whatever my experience has been, they do overheat!, ... I know people say put a good quality heatsink-fan and AMD will work fine. Though I still wonder, how AMDs will perform in heavy duty computing environment over an extended period (though that’s what they claim they are made for).

From what I've heard a processor that runs hotter has a shorter life than the cooler one.

And also how many computer users are into heavy duty computing?.. that 5% extra speed AMD delivers doesn't really help most! (especially laptops where most of the time processor runs in power save mode!)

Well cars are not computers but... still a 1.5L Honda engine with 77bhp is better than a 1.5L Hyundai with 90+
Old 22nd January 2006, 21:16   #344
Team-BHP Support

Overheating is a thing of the past, and newer amds run cooler than intel. And you are right computers are not cars and honda hyundai analogy does not hold.
Old 22nd January 2006, 22:16   #345
Senior - BHPian

Im planning to get a new laptop in a few months time and was goign through the Sony website. Theyre selling RAM pretty expensive at 1000$ for 2 x 1024. I was wondering If i could buy RAM from Lamington Road or somthing and fit it into the laptop later on to save money. Any idea on how much laptop RAM costs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks