Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2006, 23:55   #211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would secure it with a MAC addres block. When I was in Singapore (last 2 weeks or so) I could turn on my laptop just about anywhere and catch about 4-5 wi-fi hotspots. some were suitably blocked enogh were not. at your laptop end i'd turn on the firewall to max esp while using an unknown hotspot
we do that a lot too hehe .. when our service is jacked up i just insert my wireless card and walla free internet ...i know freeloaders who never subsribe to their own internet here because they live in apartments and most of these networks are unsecured ...

so dippy make sure you secure you wireless network ..
Old 5th January 2006, 00:03   #212
Team-BHP Support

Hi Dippy if you still haven't bought the laptop I would recommend you to find the June 2005 edition of CHIP magazine where they have tested 31 laptops. Quite informative and helpful.
Old 5th January 2006, 00:18   #213
Senior - BHPian

khaadu

I agree its been a really long discussion but I guess this thread can be used by the others for reference will buying a laptop. This thread indeed ended up having some really good info on notebooks and wireless stuff

Hope its useful to the others too

About me I will be going for a Levono ThinkPad most probably the R51
Old 5th January 2006, 04:52   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy
Thanks for the advice tsk. I will go for the centrino R51 . How ever I just want3ed to if an external wireless card can be added to the celeron powered Thinkpad

Also if I have integrated wireless as on the centrino, how do i get a wireless internet service for eg I get the Relainace card here . Now by card does that mean a wireless card or relainces card to access the net

Basically i want to know is there a difference between a external wireless card and that card by relaince or are they the same thing

I'm just confused just wanted to clarify things

whats wrong with the acer aspire 5000 series? IF a Turion is fine with you thats the one you should go with.Its lightweight and based on acers successful Folio chassis.

Even if you go with IBM dont get an external wirless card. Inbuilt wireless is always better.

But still acers aspires are real cheap too and they give around 3hours of battery life. forget all the myths people say about amd's heating and AMD's not being good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979

This discussion is getting a little too subjective!
There are pros and cons for everything and same is with centrino.
For more knowlege look at the diagram from intel about LAPTOP connections
http://www.intel.com/products/i/chip...iagram_760.gif.

Also a link to an interesting znet article slamming the centrino and intels response
http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/index.php?p=1583

The thing we are debating here "Is centrino worth it?" has been debated again and again. The link above gives the points and counter-points from intel

I hope Dippy's knowlege has really increased!
But I think you agree with me that having a 802.11b will mean buying a 2000rs wireless card at a later stage to get higher speeds. 802.11g 802.11n is the way to go!

As of now intel gives you theree wirless choices
* 2100B - 802.11b 11Mbps only.
* 2200BG - 802.11b (11Mbps) and 802.11g (54Mbps).
* 2915ABG - 802.11a (11Mbps), 802.11b (11Mbps), 802.11g (54Mbps), support for future 802.11e, h, i, etc.

the ABG is the way to go, support for future speed increases too!

lets see if centrino is really worht the hype or not. Intel has put in millions of Dollars to see that centrino is really a success.

Centrino core is based on the p-3 core. P-3 is supposed to be more efficient in power and heat comparision.

the sonoma core is the fastest and powerful pentium M around

against the sonoma is the Turion counterpart. Turions are based on the athlons.

turion

less availability due to malpractices by intel. They force the manufacturers to not sell amd's. A case is already on in US & Europe and Intel has already lost in Japan

less chipsets and mothersboards. Hence less options available. I was searching for a amd notebook with nvidia 6600. There is none to date in the market

two options to choose from 35W against the 27W and 25W against the ULV's.

TUrion is 64-bit and cheaper

128kb L1 cache against 64kb L1 cache in pentium M
1mb L2 cache against 2mb l2 cache
no dual channel memory dual channel memory
1600MHZ FSb 533mhz fsb
SSE3 multimedia extensions no sse3 multimedia extension
integrated Memory controller External memory controller
approx 3hours batttery life approx 4 hours battery life

pentium package is usually more expensive than amd package. performance wise both are equal. battery life pentium M is 1 hour ahead. Heat dissipation is better in Turion. Turion is win64 and windows vista ready which centrino is not.

For me Turion wins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selective
I disagree, it is not gimmik. Centrino is not just wireless cards. Centrino is M processor, wireless and battery life as a whole package. And they work better together to give more battery life, good roaming connection as I mentioned earlier.

If you are just talking Intel 802.11a/b/g cards only, then it is a different story all together. There is more to talk apart from standards with respecto to software. I dont want to go in detail, but can give one example for the quality.

During the recent hurrycane in east coast of US, US govt wanted network connectivity as wired world was gone for toss, the US govt evaluated all the vendors and selected Intel Centrino and that too with pre-market release hardware & software. That shows the reliability and confidence.

I am saying all this because dont take chances for 3-8 thousands rupees more. If something goes wrong, the experience to get the problem fixed with laptop is horrible! So, why take chances?

Selective.

and AMD taylor is coming soon to counter the centrino platform.

psst:- the yonah Dual core is out and up for sale. Wait for the amd 64-bit dual cores now.
Old 5th January 2006, 10:35   #215
Senior - BHPian

Emm so its a Thinkpad.I would definitely recommend it anyday coz I use and my Thinkpad survived a fall; a tea break (Fed it with hott black tea!).

Intel Centrino = Intel M processor + Intel's Wifi card

And are you going for teh Celeron based one(35k)? The some R51 Centrino model comes with Integrated Bluetooth which would be useful for file transfers and wireless printing.

The R51 centrino are priced at 45k(1.7Ghz),47.5k(1.6Ghz,has BT and XP Home),48.25k(1.7Ghz,has BT and XP Home) .

And to my knowledge only Thinkpads have teh shock absorber tech for its HDD (The r/w head moves out of the way frm HDD platters on sense of a fall)

And I see that you upgrade to 512 frm basic 256.

And, you cant beat the Keyboard of a Thinkpad.

And, you can get wireless router for about GBP 50 and enjoy wireless connectivity at home. You can get a wireless pci card for your PC too and hence use both systems at a time for browsing.

Those reliance card (pcmcia card) should be teh CDMA thing. You can also browse using our mobile phone if you lap is configured to connect to net via your mobile using the bluetooth ( provided your mobile has bluetooth). The second option should be cheaper with Airtel Mobile Office package (250Rs/month with unlimited downlaod or 1500Rs per annum with unlimited download ; in Kerala )
Old 5th January 2006, 12:11   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a hathway broadband connection at home for my desktop. So i guess it will be possible to use that connection via a router
Buy an Apple Airport Express...hook it up to your DSL modem and you have wireless internet at home...PLUS:

1. YOu can connect it to your music system and play your MP3s on your laptop/desktop through a full-fledged music system. Needs iTunes, though (free download).

2. You can connect your printer to the airport express and VOILA you have wireless printing as well!

Nothing beats the express when it comes to versatility. Go for it! Costs about a 100 dollars for the truly wireless experience - Information, Communication and Entertainment!

Last edited by Steeroid : 5th January 2006 at 12:12.
Old 6th January 2006, 07:58   #217
BHPian

oh wow.. Wireless..

Its easy as 123. In case any of you need any help , let me know. I have been working on wireless networking for the last three years.

But beware of the signal interference if you are using it at your homes. Since almost all houses in India are made of solid cement / bricks, there will be a lot of signal loss unlike the US where wood is used.

My place is a Wi-Fi place. Ease of use... Use your notebook.. browse in the kitchen / bedroom /anywhere... as long as you get a good signal
Old 6th January 2006, 08:01   #218
BHPian

Oops I forgot,, Did you guys see the new Skype Wireless Phone ?
Calls to a phone over the net and its free.

Check this : http://www.netgear.com/pressroom/pre...ail.php?id=305
Old 6th January 2006, 09:48   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok lets talk bout the WWAN card. I heard you get the reliance one for 5 or 6 k and then you pay 1000 a mont for unlimited net access. But will I get access anywhere and everywhwere if I have this partiular card?

I have a hathway broadband connection at home for my desktop. So i guess it will be possible to use that connection via a router
I have reliance....Lg rd 6000 and bought it primarily for the net conn.At 144 kbps it has a good enough bandwith and can be used anywhere you have a phone signal.The card imho is not worth the price(inr-15000) and i suggest you buy a phone and a data cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selective
Wherever your mobile signal is available you will have net connection. But it is not stable yet, quality of service will be low, bandwidth will be less etc. I dont suggest you to even think about it now.
The first point is right but the others are not true.On the bus from Manipal to Bangalore i was surfin t-bhp with great speed and also listening to MTV-radio live radio.Crystal clear clarity,chatting too.Bandwith was great,quality of service is good and its cheap
Old 6th January 2006, 14:50   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz
The first point is right but the others are not true.On the bus from Manipal to Bangalore i was surfin t-bhp with great speed and also listening to MTV-radio live radio.Crystal clear clarity,chatting too.Bandwith was great,quality of service is good and its cheap
Good the know that things are improving. But at the same I heard of some issues with the connection, and I have experienced in Bangalore itself with Reliance. Airtel is working fine though, as you have experienced, things are improving but still personally I will wait for some more time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
and AMD taylor is coming soon to counter the centrino platform.
Napa is out from Intel this quarter which will take Centrino to next level. What I want to say is, these things will keep on happening, as it happens with the car launch too.

Dippy : If you are buying Centrino, make sure that you dont get Intel 2100 WLAN card. It will not be supported in Windows Vista. As Vista is being launched now, you might end up upgrading from XP to Vista in a year or two. Make sure you get 2915 card. FYI.

Selective
Old 7th January 2006, 01:55   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selective
Good the know that things are improving. But at the same I heard of some issues with the connection, and I have experienced in Bangalore itself with Reliance. Airtel is working fine though, as you have experienced, things are improving but still personally I will wait for some more time.

Napa is out from Intel this quarter which will take Centrino to next level. What I want to say is, these things will keep on happening, as it happens with the car launch too.

Dippy : If you are buying Centrino, make sure that you dont get Intel 2100 WLAN card. It will not be supported in Windows Vista. As Vista is being launched now, you might end up upgrading from XP to Vista in a year or two. Make sure you get 2915 card. FYI.

Selective
agreed that Napa is out but I am targeting at AMD taylow technology specifically because it is

64-bit which supports windows vista and xp64 proffesional.
will be cheaper than Napa when both are released
Napa is still some time away.

I know new things keep on coming. new 65nm quad core is on the anvil already. But there is a certain time to buy things. While currently dual-core programs are still into development a dual core which supports windows wista and xp64 will be great.

Hence taylor should be the choice and the reason why I asked Dippy to go with Turion.

Windows vista is dues this summer and said the be the best creation after windows 95 from Microsoft. yes there is a 32-bit version too but you wouldnt want half the features disables would you?
Old 7th January 2006, 08:37   #222
Team-BHP Support

64bit is the way to go(Already on 64bit here). But dippy is looking at 50K range and wants to go with lenovo and not acer, so no turion,
On a sidenote, intels come out with duo which they claim will take things to the next level
http://hardware.slashdot.org/article...id=184&tid=126
Old 7th January 2006, 14:44   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

Performance Laptop

Hello amigos,

About 2.5 years ago I bought a Toshiba Satellite something, with a P4 2.8Ghz, 512 Ram and a DVD writer. at that time this computer was fairly god-like.
I dont play games, but i use extensive graphics, edit super high res images, edit video and audio and generally like to use i-tunes, adobe acrobat, photoshop, corel draw, and write a DVD all simultaneously.

I need a sexy laptop with a 2.0 Ghz mobile processor, 80 to 100GB HDD and 2GB Ram. Display 15" (17" too heavy) Great performace and not too heavy.
Has to be available in singapore.

Please dont suggest Apple, i considered the Powerbook, but software is just too expensive.
I have seen Dell PCs and they are terrible. I liked the Sony Vaio.

Any advice?? Thanks in advance.
Old 7th January 2006, 16:14   #224
Senior - BHPian

sony vaio is good but its not as rugged as the hp or toshiba..get an hp or toshiba and upgrade the ram and graphics...nothing like a good toshiba..
Old 7th January 2006, 16:36   #225
Distinguished - BHPian

I tried the Toshiba tecra, but they dont have the model i want in S'pore.
They have the Qosmio, but in the config i want, it's just too bloody expensive.
I love the SOny FS38, excellent machine.

HP-Compaq i havent considered, even though they're our customers lol. Let me see what they have.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks