Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2010, 21:21   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Great comparison R. I think - judging from that, I will hold on for some more time. Thanks.
Old 3rd December 2010, 21:35   #62
BHPian

Bought iPad 16GB , On Black Friday . It costed $521 with Apple Hardshell cover .
Totally loving it , everything looks more beautiful and crisp.
Old 10th December 2010, 10:31   #63
BHPian

Re: iPad-ed !!!!

What is grey market prices for 64GB iPad with 3G & Wifi (the highest configuration).
Old 10th December 2010, 18:16   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Its become truly mobile and i have a proper GPS screen for my car
Juggu - curious how you handle power. A USB out charges it?
Old 13th December 2010, 17:23   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
You can use any Apple device (ipod/iphone) charger for cars. They plug into you car power and have a USB out which can be plugged in the device for charging.

eBay India: Mini USB Car Charger for Apple iPHONE iPOD TOUCH iPAD (item 270677496318 end time 14-Dec-2010 14:52:29 IST)
Old 13th December 2010, 18:17   #66
Team-BHP Support

GPS works without SIM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Go out to an OPEN area -- no buildings or trees around / overhead to block the satellites. Turn on GPS and open up a program that uses it (eg. maps). Wait for about 10-15 mins. The device will download the GPS Almanac from the satellites itself.
Worked like a charm without the sim card, as soon as i moved to the edge of the balcony, earlier i tried from the door since it was raining and did not want to get the pad wet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
Yup can be charged if you have the required car charger.
Old 15th December 2010, 11:02   #67
BHPian

I got iPad-ed too Two days back. OS 4.2 loving it so far
Old 15th December 2010, 11:11   #68
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
The way i see it :

iPad

==============
Add to that i couldn't even download a mp3 from mediafire etc while my computer was off (wanted to download and then send it to my computer later). Even my android cellphone can do that!

cya
R
How about Notion Ink Adam? The best of both worlds and most importantly this one comes from India.

Last edited by Jaggu : 15th December 2010 at 13:26. Reason: Please avoid quoting entire large thread for a short reply. Thanks
Old 15th December 2010, 14:38   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh View Post
How about Notion Ink Adam? The best of both worlds and most importantly this one comes from India.
Absolutely. Had posted about it earlier this year : link.

I'm waiting till Dec 18th for them to release an in-depth video demo.

It seems great on paper. My only concerns are :
1) Whether or not it will support the Android market
2) Quality levels and reliability

It sure does promise a lot!

cya
R
Old 15th December 2010, 20:14   #70
Senior - BHPian

I was wondering if this forum had an iPad thread and here it is. I've owned one for the last 2 months almost.

Have seen enough of the Pros and Cons. Surprising no one has spoken about the apps. You can directly download apps from the iTunes store. These can be backed up(synced) onto your Comp's iTunes later on. Apps define what you would like to do with your iPad.

So there are free ones and paid ones. There are certainly some really good ones available.

List of good free apps:

YouTube - comes by default with the iPad. The app is just like using youtube. One inherent drawback. If you are using 3G for watching videos with the Youtube ad the content will only be streamed in the lowest possible resolution. This is just to make sure that your data scheme doesn't get blown out. There's no way to change the setting. HD content works fine with Wi-Fi.

VLC - This is free. Plays almost any format. Do not load files greater than 1 GB as the iPad will become slow. Anything downsized to 700 Megs should work fine. Videos can be uploaded using iTunes only. Drag and drop into the VLC app in iTunes.

Flipboard - Excellent app which scrubs your Facebook accounts and twitter to get you feeds (comments, pictures) and shows them in a very beautiful format. Will do the same from other sites like National Geographic (pictures of the day), Sports Illustrated etc. Its not a full blown facebook or twitter app.

Pulse - similar to Flipboard. But can also get news from news sites. (BBC, NYT, CNN, yahoo...) I like it for easy access to Dilbert.

NDTV HD - Excellent App to catch all that's happening in India. BBC also has an app which is similar.

Pottery HD Lite - Make pots virtually, sell them virtually and a whole lot of fun. Kids love it.

Talking Tom - adorable cat which yells "Aiyooooo" when you hit its foot. Will repeat all that you say. A hit with kids and adults alike. Multilingual cat! Enough said!!

Kindle - Why buy a Kindle when you can get the same app in iPad. Amazon has a lot of free books available for you to download and use. Google has just released its version "Google books". You get the Oxford American Dictionary ebook free with Kindle. (Winnie the Pooh is available free with iBook). I personally liked the way iBook is structured.

Wordweb - Dictionary. The major difference between it and other dictionary apps is that every word is referenced. So when you find the meaning of a particular word, you can click on any word in that and you will get its meaning.

There are many more such interesting free apps available. I've also purchased a few paid apps and some of them are really worth the 99 cents or 2.99$ that I've paid for it. (Goodreader, Atomic web browser)
Old 16th December 2010, 12:01   #71
BHPian

Thanks CSENTIL for the list of apps, should be useful for everyone on the forum. Would be great if others on the forum also contributed to the list of apps other than the ones already mentioned.

I have also downloaded 'Friendly', its basically for facebook. I have found that Safari keeps refreshing every few minutes or so, and hence if you are going through the most recent friend updates you might have to start all over from the top repeatedly. This is avoided in Friendly. One disadvantage about this app is that you can't open a new tab.
Old 16th December 2010, 21:16   #72
BHPian

Rehaan, your GPS now works without the sim, just over wi fi? How did you do that? I mean, I have tried a couple of times from inside my house, but everytime it says unable to determine your location. How much time did it take? You saw that spinning circle(the busy sign in apple) for about 15 minutes is it?
Old 17th December 2010, 13:14   #73
Team-BHP Support

@FanaticOnWheels,

I don't have the ipad with me anymore -- and i haven't tried this myself, but based on what i know about GPS it shouldn't be an issue. Jaggu seems to have had success (see his post above).

Don't try from inside your house! You need decent line-of-sight visibility to GPS satellites above, without anything blocking (trees, buildings, car roof, etc) - atleast for the first lock go to a large open space. Might take a while to lock.

cya
R
Old 17th December 2010, 14:25   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanaticOnWheels View Post
Rehaan, your GPS now works without the sim, just over wi fi? How did you do that? I mean, I have tried a couple of times from inside my house, but everytime it says unable to determine your location. How much time did it take? You saw that spinning circle(the busy sign in apple) for about 15 minutes is it?
Yeah i was the one who worked it out. Nothing great just move to outdoors and ensure you have wifi connected, within couple of secs it will work. In my case i just moved out into my balcony.

ps: Line of signt is clear from my balcony.
Old 2nd January 2011, 17:52   #75
BHPian

While I am waiting for my iPad to arrive, just want to ask what cases you guys are all using to protect your iPad in?

I have narrowed my choices to Zoogue, Portenzo Notebook Style iPad case and Targus Truss.
srikat is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed