Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2013, 16:51   #16846
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Question:

How good will the Custom ROM scene for the Note 3 be?

I was going to buy my dad a Note 2 and put Cyanogenmod on it -- but if the Note 3 will be as mod-friendly, i'd get that instead.

Are there any limitations that make the Note 3 less custom-rom-friendly than the Note 2?

Thanks,
R

EDIT: I think I'm just gonna buy the tried & tested Note 2.
Why not the latest Nexus. Its cheaper and does everything what the galaxies do.
And you get the latest updates up front.
Old 8th November 2013, 19:33   #16847
Senior - BHPian

I don't understand why people consider Cyanogenmod is necessarily better then official ROM even at the cost of loosing features they are paying for
Example: sPen gesture mode on Note 3 is lot improved and functional then Note 2 and that is the rational for the sky high cost.
Don't get me wrong it makes lot of sense to use custom ROMs on low end devices with limited hardware capability to make them run faster but not on top of the line devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Question:

How good will the Custom ROM scene for the Note 3 be?

I was going to buy my dad a Note 2 and put Cyanogenmod on it -- but if the Note 3 will be as mod-friendly, i'd get that instead.

EDIT: I think I'm just gonna buy the tried & tested Note 2.

Answer for this is Zilch and you can consider it official
Note 3 supports Knox which is defence grade security software.
www.samsungknox.com.

The bootloader is locked and protected by measurements in ARM trustzone so can not be booted with another binary. Forget about loading another binary but you can not use any root exploit.
During the lifecycle of these devices you may see sporadic news of
how it got rooted but that means nothing , Rooting is rendered useless because SELinux in enforcing mode is there , Also even if you root you will be just setting warranty void bit with no useful purpose.

Also very soon you may get Knox update on Note 2 as well.

So depending on from where you see this , If you want to use your device for financial transactions , trading or some serious use then it is a good thing.

However if you are interested in development work then a Google reference device is always there.

TSK1979 : Nexus does everything except security is not up to the grade to be used
in financial institutes and governments. Top of the line galaxy devices are now chasing a different market the market which was earlier with BB10.

Last edited by amitk26 : 8th November 2013 at 19:37.
Old 8th November 2013, 20:03   #16848
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Don't get me wrong it makes lot of sense to use custom ROMs on low end devices with limited hardware capability to make them run faster but not on top of the line devices.

Answer for this is Zilch and you can consider it official
Note 3 supports Knox which is defence grade security software.
www.samsungknox.com.
Well, i dont know about note3 but i had & am using custom roms in my now sold s3(ultima rom) and s4 (arrow rom) respectively.

There are already more than 4 custom roms for the s4 based on 4.3 with knox removed.

Dev kryten is currently working on 4.3(which has been released for s3 just a couple of days back) based ultima rom with knox completely removed.

So, im pretty sure note3 would get nice custom roms.
Old 8th November 2013, 20:42   #16849
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
Well, i dont know about note3 but i had & am using custom roms in my now sold s3(ultima rom) and s4 (arrow rom) respectively.

There are already more than 4 custom roms for the s4 based on 4.3 with knox removed.

Dev kryten is currently working on 4.3(which has been released for s3 just a couple of days back) based ultima rom with knox completely removed.

So, im pretty sure note3 would get nice custom roms.
Indian version of s4 based on exynos was released without knox.
Latest firm ware upgrade provided in October end locks it down.

Note 3 was initially jailbroken using odin which got plugged within a week.
As of now there is one vulnerability to root it but be assured there is a minor upgrade coming to plug it.

Point is no software security is foolproof but commitment level to plug exploits as and when they are found is really high because customers here are high stake customers.
Old 8th November 2013, 22:19   #16850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Indian version of s4 based on exynos was released without knox.
I9500XXUEMJ5 (2013 october)
I9500XXUEMJ8 (2013 october)
I9500XXUEMJ9 (2013 november)

All the above mentioned Samsung stock firmwares were released with knox, king cobra GT rom and Arrow rom etc are custom roms based on XXUEMJ8 with knox completely removed.

Iam currently running Arrow rom 9.0.0(no KNOX) in my S4.

Quote:
Latest firm ware upgrade provided in October end locks it down.
I dont think so.
Old 9th November 2013, 00:35   #16851
BHPian

I have a micromax a110 and an s3 . I rooted my micromax and tried different roms .
Did not like any as they all had problems . Back to stock . Never rooted my s3 as I did not want to loose warranty . Already claimed it once .
I always liked touch wiz and the gesture features present in stock rom . Cyanogen rom as opposed to stock was bare bones . I want all the stock rom features . Thats why I bought the s3 .
P.S. I know what stock android is . My stock micromax rom is almost un modified android jb . I do not like stock android at all . My personal view . No offence to anyone .
Old 9th November 2013, 09:31   #16852
BANNED

I think if you like being current with the OS you have to go Custom at somepoint. The reason is that the manufacturer does not make money on the upgrades, he wants you to upgrade by changing the phone. So upgrades stop after maybe one or two generations. Then the only route is custom ROM.
Old 9th November 2013, 09:41   #16853
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anky View Post
I have a micromax a110 and an s3 . I rooted my micromax and tried different roms .
Did not like any as they all had problems .
Did you try the LeWa ROM? Have been using it for the last 2months and have had no problems with it.
Old 9th November 2013, 12:37   #16854
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Did you try the LeWa ROM? Have been using it for the last 2months and have had no problems with it.
Yeah lewa rom is great . It gives a completely new look to the os . But my problem is that lewa does not support native 3g video call . I call my daughter and wife daily by video call as they are asleep by the time I come home . We use mtnl trump network 3g video calling in mumbai which does not work with lewa rom as it has no option for video calling in dialler . My s3 and a110 micromax both have stock 3g video call over network in their stock roms .
Old 9th November 2013, 14:30   #16855
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
I9500XXUEMJ5 (2013 october)
I9500XXUEMJ8 (2013 october)
I9500XXUEMJ9 (2013 november)

All the above mentioned Samsung stock firmwares were released with knox, king cobra GT rom and Arrow rom etc are custom roms based on XXUEMJ8 with knox completely removed.

Iam currently running Arrow rom 9.0.0(no KNOX) in my S4.

I dont think so.
All of these set warranty void efuse to 0x01 and I an pretty much sure next update to plug holes will be there soon.
If custom rom is what you need I think instead of fighting uphill battle better to choose a more custom ROM friendly device.

Last edited by amitk26 : 9th November 2013 at 14:31.
Old 9th November 2013, 15:21   #16856
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anky View Post
We use mtnl trump network 3g video calling in mumbai which does not work with lewa rom as it has no option for video calling
Never tried video call. Will try and see if there is a work around.
Old 9th November 2013, 16:54   #16857
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Just got my Nexus 5.
From where did you source it? Price?
Old 9th November 2013, 17:46   #16858
BANNED

Planning to upgrade my htc One. Got the link to the 4.3 RUU from Hetal. I have to relock the bootloader - supposedly simple with <fastboot oem lock> and then load the 4.3 ROM which has a utility to take care of the commands to load it. Fingers and toes crossed. I hear that the 4.x are much more friendly and do not clean out the shop, so the save and reload is not that bad. Still I will take a backup. The last time I did the job was from Froyo to GB. Also, seems that RevOne guys again have an S-off tool.
Old 9th November 2013, 18:58   #16859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Planning to upgrade my htc One. Got the link to the 4.3 RUU from Hetal. I have to relock the bootloader - supposedly simple with <fastboot oem lock> and then load the 4.3 ROM which has a utility to take care of the commands to load it. Fingers and toes crossed. I hear that the 4.x are much more friendly and do not clean out the shop, so the save and reload is not that bad. Still I will take a backup. The last time I did the job was from Froyo to GB. Also, seems that RevOne guys again have an S-off tool.
It is not worth the headache, 4.3 makes the experience more fluid. If you are not experiencing any lags, I would suggest you to wait it out for the official update.
Old 9th November 2013, 23:16   #16860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post

From where did you source it? Price?
I'm in the US. Got the 32gb version for $399.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks