Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2011, 17:51   #3316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@nishantgandhi; What is bugging me is the attempts of Google to 'close' the system. As per ZDNet they are blocking music/video downloads from units with custom ROMs. Also, rooting is being treated as a security hole for Gingerbread!

I am sure what one man can do another can undo!!
It's only going to hurt the movie/music service. Early adapters are the ones who set the trends, and they are going to root. They'll just torrent the movies --> torrents will stay alive --> no one will pay for their service.

Digital piracy isn't born out of greed. It is a result of inconvenience caused by content providers.

Google's got to stop playing both the sides against each other. Either be open, or stop claiming you are open - compete directly with Apple then.

Meanwhile:
5000 signatures already:
HTC Bootloaders and NAND | groubal complaints

Let HTC know that locked bootloaders are not wanted!

Last edited by aah78 : 26th May 2011 at 01:22. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 25th May 2011, 18:06   #3317
Senior - BHPian

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 on 3rd of June

After a long long wait and killing us with each "leaked" news from february its finally launched cant wait to get my hands on one ! Sure to be THE smartphone of 2011
Old 25th May 2011, 18:20   #3318
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android applications (Apps)

DQ - is there one like makemytrip or cleartrip or suchlike?
Old 25th May 2011, 18:37   #3319
BHPian

Another app which seems to be good to connect your phone with your computer us "soft data cable". Only thing, both of them need to be on the same wi-didi network.
Old 25th May 2011, 19:00   #3320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Read on ZDNet that Google is trying to stop rootiing. Apparently they are blocking access to to movie downloads to users with custom ROMs. Also, read somewhere that Gingerbread will be very difficult to root. So much for an open system.
You are speaking to a rooted Motorola Defy running GB and the whole bells/whistles. I bought android for the root-ability

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishaanranderia View Post
Here my 7 favourite apps.

1. Tasker
A paid app which is absolutely brilliant. It basically allows you to completely configure your phone (don't worry there are easy guides available) You can do pretty much anything you can think of, for example i have created 3 tasker profiles which
a. Detects the cellphone tower my phone is accessing and automatically turns on the wifi when i at at home or at office and shuts it when i leave (based on the cell phone tower) It saves battery and my 3g data usage.

b. Turns on GPS automatically whenever i open an app that requires it and exits it automatically

c. created a SMS scheduler where i type out a message and the contact, it will will send it on the date and time i decide...no more forgetting to wish people on birthdays, anniversaries etc
Sounds very good.

Any other such apps? (read cheaper?!!) - what about Locale - in the long term, I want unlimited configuration and lots of options for connecting to all sorts of apps. Which is better of them?

I want geek level - i don't care about simplicity - I want power and an app which has the least overhead. I don't want another ATK
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2011, 19:16   #3321
BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Its coming first with the Exynos processor right? I am going to go get it for 32k. And yea I totally believe in buying it as soon as its launched rather then waiting for 6 months for the price to come down slightly. It will be available from 9th june is it?
The Phone can be pre-booked through Vodafone at a booking amount of Rs 1000 starting May 26 else it will be available in Stores from 9th June onwards.

Samsung Galaxy SII to launch in India on June 3 - NDTVGadgets.com
Old 25th May 2011, 19:41   #3322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
You are speaking to a rooted Motorola Defy running GB and the whole bells/whistles. I bought android for the root-ability

Sounds very good.

Any other such apps? (read cheaper?!!) - what about Locale - in the long term, I want unlimited configuration and lots of options for connecting to all sorts of apps. Which is better of them?

I want geek level - i don't care about simplicity - I want power and an app which has the least overhead. I don't want another ATK
There are apps to these things individually and are probably easier to use but tasker is an all in one solution though you have to wrap your head around it a bit
Old 25th May 2011, 20:03   #3323
Distinguished - BHPian

well guess have to wait till the 9th then. I love my airtel sim and in no mood to switch to Vodafone. I am still little apprehensive about the size of this device though. This will be my first smartphone.

Slightly surprised that flipkart has still not started pre-orders. They still show the phone as coming soon. Off late I have found flipkart to be quite reliable. Wonder why the Delay!

Hey Guys also if samsung has declared the MRP of the phone as 32.8k then in the market it should be available for around 29-30k right? Generally the actual prices tend to be slightly lower then the ones mentioned on Samsung's Website as MRP.

Last edited by drmohitg : 25th May 2011 at 20:07.
Old 25th May 2011, 21:43   #3324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Hey Guys also if samsung has declared the MRP of the phone as 32.8k then in the market it should be available for around 29-30k right? Generally the actual prices tend to be slightly lower then the ones mentioned on Samsung's Website as MRP.
Even i'm hoping it will be within 30k. The Incredible S which was launched for 28900 is available from retailers for 26k. So hopefully S2 will be under 30k, in which case it'll kill the Xperia Arc and the Incredible S.
Old 25th May 2011, 21:46   #3325
Distinguished - BHPian

I feel samsung knows the potential of there products. And they mostly price them very well with the exception of the Galaxy Tab which was heavily overpriced and as a result didnt sell as expected by Samsung. And within 6 months of its launch it has dropped close to 10k. 30k will be a killer price for the S2 and its surely going to kill the other smartphones.
Old 25th May 2011, 23:11   #3326
BHPian

Good news...Moto Defy update now available for Indian users. Just updated my defy to 2.2.2. Still exploring..
Old 25th May 2011, 23:13   #3327
Distinguished - BHPian

How good is this Letsbuy offer for the SGS2: Buy Samsung Galaxy SII (Preorder Now) at Best Price in India - Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews

How much would a car charger from samsung cost?
Old 26th May 2011, 01:05   #3328
BHPian

Quote:
Its coming first with the Exynos processor right? I am going to go get it for 32k. And yea I totally believe in buying it as soon as its launched rather then waiting for 6 months for the price to come down slightly. It will be available from 9th june is it?

as far as i know it is coming with the Exynos Processor first, then if they face a processor shortage, then they'll switch to the Tegra 2... Or then again they might release a Tegra 2 version down the line as a cheaper alternative...

read it on engadet some time ago...

PS. I work for MTV and we've done some stuff for Samsung... so i'm trying to get my hands on it earlier...
Old 26th May 2011, 01:48   #3329
BHPian

Oh by the way another app i forgot to share with you'll is Lookout its free.
It backs up you data, remotely locks your phone to avoid someone accessing your phone, locates it if stolen via gps, flashes a sms to whoever found it among other things could be useful in case you misplace your precious android
Old 26th May 2011, 07:33   #3330
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishaanranderia View Post
Oh by the way another app i forgot to share with you'll is Lookout its free.
It backs up you data, remotely locks your phone to avoid someone accessing your phone, locates it if stolen via gps, flashes a sms to whoever found it among other things could be useful in case you misplace your precious android
I have it on my phone but while backing data up apart from contacts it also backs up all calls-sent and received everyday which is useless. I have tried the trace-your-phone feature and it doesn't work at all times and morevover the phone has to be on for it to be traced. But yes, it gives out a scream which cannot be muted from the phone itself

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks