Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2011, 10:37   #1786
BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post

2. This seems like a good idea and I will try this. One more question, to use this option do I need a data plan?
My vodafone data plan is taking ages to be activated.

Thanks CM!

I did use wi-fi and installed a few apps the other day. Now desperately waiting for the data plan to be active.
Data plan is not required if you have wi-fi.
Old 9th February 2011, 11:15   #1787
BHPian

Here's the link for Brut maps renamed version, so that it will not overwrite the original application.

Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

Generally it means that modded app is identified by Android OS as totally different app, not connected to Google Maps at all. There are several consequences:
  • Android forbids to install same app twice. If you want to install modded app, you have to uninstall original one first. -renamed variant is detected as different app, so you could install it normally and then you will have installed both original and modded app.
  • It's much worse if you want to replace system app - and Google Maps is a system app on many devices. You can't uninstall system apps just like that, cause they're write-protected. You need root and probably some hacking, so if you had Google Maps preinstalled on your device and don't have a root or don't want to hack, then use one of -renamed variants.
  • Some apps call GM by name and if you have -renamed variant, then they can't find modded GM, cause it's detected as different app. People have such problems with Car Dock, Street View and few others
For more details about this refer:
[APPMOD][07.11.10] Brut Google Maps 4.6.0.4686-brut17 - xda-developers
Old 9th February 2011, 11:17   #1788
Team-BHP Support

I have found lots of other apps like locus and oruxmaps along with Big planet tracks etc., which allow you to use offline maps downloaded on your PC(Ozi/google/Yahoo whatever you want).
Old 9th February 2011, 12:24   #1789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by umvarma View Post
Data plan is not required if you have wi-fi.
Yeah I got that.
How does this installing apps straight from the PC work? I tried to install a few apps but only one came through.

The android market says its installed on my phone but I could not find it. Then when I switched on my GPRS connection the apps started to download. So what am I doing wrong here?

Thanks
Old 9th February 2011, 12:25   #1790
BHPian

Re: Dump Nokia N8 for Galaxy tab?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Galaxy Tab may not be providing alternatives but there is a brilliant app from Google for Android devices - it is called MyTracks.

Thanx max, as most of the places in my region are not mapped, i was finding Sports Tracker very helpful. Hope MyTracks will show the unmarked trails as well.
Old 9th February 2011, 12:38   #1791
BHPian

Re: Dump Nokia N8 for Galaxy tab?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
About comparison with iPad, after few days am not sure about the Tab. I am trying to change the ownership right now within the family. Major plus i found was the ms office thingie that came with the OS. In apple i would need to buy iWorks for the iPad, for full access.

Tab will not replace a phone for me, it has only speaker phone, or you have to use handsfree/bluetooth etc. This is a major pain. Browsing yes it works well, even email also.

But having said that, perfect for my travels. Coz instead of plonking the BSNL card in iPhone and carry a second phone, i can use it in Tab. With iPad i could not do this since it does not have phone modem, which is a must for me while travelling.
The media is so much praise of Apple products and curse the Tab in every possible way that at times it feels like Steve is spending lot of dough in positive publicity.

But in all practicality, neither IPad nor the Galaxy Tab is a compleate product as of now. Both has its plus and minuses. Since my priority is mobile portability, i am inclined to the tab except that it ain't got a USB port and 3.5 mp and video capacities are useless given its premium pricing even if one would hardly use it to take pictures or video.

And yes, after holding the device in hand and taking a demo, i must admit that i have to keep my N8 as well. The tab has its own place so does the Nokia and Steve need not worry about Samsung eating up its market share.

Last edited by San Phrangmung : 9th February 2011 at 12:50.
Old 9th February 2011, 12:45   #1792
Senior - BHPian

Thanks sajjt for the new brut maps link. I will give it a try!

My car charger has arrived just now, so I can use GPS in the car without worrying about battery!
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-imag0119.jpg
Old 9th February 2011, 12:59   #1793
BHPian

That looks neat Max, wonder given the number of device we carry, is it possible to have two car chargers in some way.
Old 9th February 2011, 13:16   #1794
Senior - BHPian

The brut map mod is too much of a hassle to install in galaxy 3. Given that Galaxy 3 does not support app install in SD card and that Google maps is a system maps. Its too much of a hassle.

Looking forward to using some of the options tsk suggested (locus etc.).
Old 9th February 2011, 13:24   #1795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

My car charger has arrived just now, so I can use GPS in the car without worrying about battery!
Attachment 498511
Can you give link where you got this from ? .Does it come with a cable also ?
Old 9th February 2011, 13:24   #1796
BHPian

Got Samsung Ace that was ordered on Monday Night today morning @10.30.
As others have said service by Flipkart is very good.
The pacakaging was very good so that the phone does not get damaged in transit.

Just had a look at the phone for 10-15mins. It looks like a good phone to have.
Will explore the phone more over weekend.
Old 9th February 2011, 13:32   #1797
BHPian

Quote:

Looks neat. Can you update on the site from where this was bought and its price ( if possible) as I too need a car USB charger. Also let me know the quality of the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Phrangmung View Post
That looks neat Max, wonder given the number of device we carry, is it possible to have two car chargers in some way.
Yup, you get a car charger multiplier.
It connects to your existing car charger and has two chargers at the other end. I have also seen ones that have three car chargers as an extension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrooze View Post
Got Samsung Ace that was ordered on Monday Night today morning @10.30.
As others have said service by Flipkart is very good.
The pacakaging was very good so that the phone does not get damaged in transit.

Just had a look at the phone for 10-15mins. It looks like a good phone to have.
Will explore the phone more over weekend.
That was super fast delivery. Looking forward to your review as I am more inclined on buying this model.

Last edited by f1fan : 9th February 2011 at 13:39.
Old 9th February 2011, 13:42   #1798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Phrangmung View Post
Yes, you can buy such chargers also. You can find one in eBay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Can you give link where you got this from ? .Does it come with a cable also ?
I bought it from eBay. I am in office and eBay isn't accessible. But you can login to eBay and search for 'car USB charger' and you will see this item. My friend just saw this charger and he says it is the exact same brand he had bought directly from US a while back - so I hope this is of decent quality!

Tested Navigation in the car again with charger connected - works fine. A general issue with Navigation is that the phone just heats up. Same case even without charger connected. I think GPS is acting as a short circuit to drain all battery charge!

After seeing the Navigation working, couple of my friends have already decided to get Android phones!

The car charger is rated 700mA. Normal USB ports are 500mA. The original phone charger is 1A. So I think this charger would be just fine for a not-so-quick charging and to keep battery from draining.

@f1fan: The price for this charger was 150 rupees.

Last edited by clevermax : 9th February 2011 at 13:53.
Old 9th February 2011, 14:18   #1799
BHPian

Thanks for confirming about the dual charger guys, cause the local dealers at my hometown denied that any such thing existed. So got to get it online it seems.
Old 9th February 2011, 15:16   #1800
Team-BHP Support

I am researching offline mapping on android, and there are quite a few apps available
The intersting ones are
Andnav2 - It offers routing via OSM. Chennai and BLR have great coverage, while Delhi has limited coverage

Apps with just map display but no routing are more numerous.
You have
Oruxmaps
Brutmaps
Locus
Trekbuddy
Big Planet tracks

Most of these make use of mobile atlas creator
Mobile Atlas Creator

The site also lists apps on other platforms.

So all you do is download map for your app, and copy to relevent folder on SD card. After that its all good to go!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks