Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2011, 08:08   #3241
BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
You are completely mistaken. A friend has the MI-300 and couldn't be happier. He runs Gingerbread (via CM7).

Decent for the price
That's pretty cool. Indian budget android phones with CM7!

Quick update here. I've gone back to stock 2.2.1. Flashed with the south east asia 2.2.1 SBF. Was sick of camera and gps bugs on the custom roms. The camera would either hang or force close or both. Videos recorded wouldn't turn up in the gallery. The gallery kept crashing too. Sure the custom rom was quicker, but I want my phone to WORK.

Here's an extended bug list (Cronos 1.8.1 Froyo Mod)
  • Phone vibrates for about 3 seconds even after I accept the call and start talking. Feels horrible.
  • Gallery force closing
  • Camera hanging most of the time, can't quit, can't do anything.
  • Video recording bugs, doesn't show up in the gallery or anywhere after recording.
  • Camera doesn't click, even if it doesn't hang, I can't click a photo!
  • Phone doesn't receive GPS signal, have to use phone signal instead.
  • When the phone rings, it takes about 2 seconds for the display to turn on and show the name!
I think that's enough bugs with my milestone, so I reverted back to stock. Flashing process was easy enough. Seems stable enough now. I think it's a different sbf from my earlier stock. But oh well, works well now, at least I can take photos and 720p videos properly.
Old 23rd May 2011, 09:01   #3242
Senior - BHPian

^
Stock seems most stable for now on most androids. I have tried a few roms on my Epic but reverted to stock.

Read the review of my EPIC here - Sprint Samsung Epic 4G - The Beast Is Here! - Reliance Mobile (CDMA & GSM) - Discussion Forums which we (meaning many of us) got from the US and hacked it out to work here on reliance CDMA...

@amit mechengg - I have just given the option to buy the cheapest (Spice) and also the BEST (LG Optimus 2X) Android Phones in the last few posts. The choice is entirely yours depending upon your budget...
Old 23rd May 2011, 10:11   #3243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy
Hello! I have the LG Optimus One P500 and badly want to upgrade it to 2.3. Has LG come out with the update yet! What are they waiting for? My current version reads - 2.2.2. Kernel version - 2.6.32.9, build number - FRG83 and Software version - V10e-MAR-28-2011. Has someone managed to get an update later than this?
No naveen, there are custom roms available on XDA for installing 2.3 on P500. There are a lot of guys out there who have upgraded their Optimus. As for me, i am happy with 2.2.2 :-)
Old 23rd May 2011, 10:14   #3244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar3dev|l View Post
No naveen, there are custom roms available on XDA for installing 2.3 on P500. There are a lot of guys out there who have upgraded their Optimus. As for me, i am happy with 2.2.2 :-)
Are these custom roms stable? I too want to move on to 2.3 on my P500. BTW, when can we expect an official upgrade from LG towards 2.3 for P500?
Old 23rd May 2011, 10:23   #3245
BHPian

^^ These customs roms have their own positives and negatives. If the itch of upgrade a little too much to live with the little bugs than u can upgrade and enjoy the 2.3 before the official release. The last i read about the release from LG is sept-oct, not sure thou !!
Old 23rd May 2011, 11:40   #3246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign

That's pretty cool. Indian budget android phones with CM7!

Quick update here. I've gone back to stock 2.2.1. Flashed with the south east asia 2.2.1 SBF. Was sick of camera and gps bugs on the custom roms. The camera would either hang or force close or both. Videos recorded wouldn't turn up in the gallery. The gallery kept crashing too. Sure the custom rom was quicker, but I want my phone to WORK.

Here's an extended bug list (Cronos 1.8.1 Froyo Mod)

[*]Phone vibrates for about 3 seconds even after I accept the call and start talking. Feels horrible.[*]Gallery force closing[*]Camera hanging most of the time, can't quit, can't do anything.[*]Video recording bugs, doesn't show up in the gallery or anywhere after recording.[*]Camera doesn't click, even if it doesn't hang, I can't click a photo![*]Phone doesn't receive GPS signal, have to use phone signal instead.[*]When the phone rings, it takes about 2 seconds for the display to turn on and show the name!
I think that's enough bugs with my milestone, so I reverted back to stock. Flashing process was easy enough. Seems stable enough now. I think it's a different sbf from my earlier stock. But oh well, works well now, at least I can take photos and 720p videos properly.
I wouldn't have advised such a rom to u. That is too much pain. CM7 by Quarx for defy has been rock stable in comparison. Everything works out of the box.
Old 23rd May 2011, 13:00   #3247
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

Any one has samsung galaxy tab? i want a 7 inch tab which can help me browse (3G), watch movies, read PDFs while i am on move. i know many tabs are going to hit the market soon but i am sure they will be expensive. So thought, for now i will buy Galaxy tab for 23K (which is a neat deal IMHO). Any one has galaxy tab? kindly provide me the review.
Old 23rd May 2011, 15:01   #3248
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android applications (Apps)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Try Sygic mobile maps. A thorough search on WWW will yield easy ways to download a hacked version with lifetime free maps+upgrades.
MILLION thanks nishant.
i tried brut maps, ndrive etc.

nothing worked as good as Sygic maps.

Ndrive takes ages to fix gps signal. Brut maps does not recalculate directions if i take a shortcut or different route.

but with Sygic- its awesome, GPS fix in just 4-5 seconds. root recalculation in just 1-2 seconds.

perfect.
amit_mechengg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2011, 15:07   #3249
BANNED

One interesting bit. I find that the Epic 4G is much less sensitive than the BB8330 it replaces. Both our home and my workplace are fringe, and while the BB could work with no trouble, the Epic4G has problems esp. at work! So unless the reliance signal level/quality has dropped there is only one conclusion.
Old 23rd May 2011, 15:21   #3250
Senior - BHPian

Dell XCD35 review -

PROS:
1. Best screen at the given price. 400X800 pixels super lcd. best media and gaming experience.
2. Speaker very good and clear.
3. Best GPS - fixes signals in matter of seconds, this is just by using gps chip, no gprs, no wi-fi.
4. Call quality - awesome,very clear and natural sound.
5. Touch screen- very smooth capacity and very accurate touch screen.

Cons:
1. Lag -If you put live wallpapers or if you have coupl of applications open in background, the phone becomes laggy. especially if you are running the navigation software and then try to open other application then there is lag.

2. Battery life- i have to charge it daily in the night. with all the play around which i am doing in excited mode of using android by 11o clock just 10% battery is left. this is after using WI-Fi and GPS for most of the time.
no calls made during the whole day.

3. 600mhz processor just tries to cope up with heavy usage.
Old 23rd May 2011, 15:46   #3251
BHPian

Re: Android applications (Apps)

Friends do try this App "FreeMusic". It does not list songs but you can search for a song & have the option of even downloading it. So is it the new age of mobile torrents? Been using it since yesterday & have downloaded over 30 songs, simply superb!
anilkalvani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2011, 20:25   #3252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar3dev|l View Post
^^ These customs roms have their own positives and negatives. If the itch of upgrade a little too much to live with the little bugs than u can upgrade and enjoy the 2.3 before the official release. The last i read about the release from LG is sept-oct, not sure thou !!
Yeah man, the itch is getting a lot stronger and its harder to not scratch

But Sep is so far away, will do some research on the net and well, update with a cooked ROM!!
Old 23rd May 2011, 20:27   #3253
Senior - BHPian

i keep hearing about poor battery life of XCD 35 :( planning to buy one for my brother.
any idea how is battery life of say LG optimus 1 or Samsung 551 or Samsung Pop if used in pattern similar to mentioned by amit_mechengg?
Old 23rd May 2011, 21:46   #3254
Senior - BHPian

Need help

Guys,
I'm facing a couple of weird problem on my Galaxy Ace. Need suggestions:

1. The WiFi refuses to connect every few days. I click on Wifi button and it just displays error. No other detail. I'm forced to re-start the phone and then it connects. However, this has happened only thrice in 2+ months

2. I'm facing a 'phone memory full' error. Except for the stock apps, all other downloaded games and apps are stored on the SD card. What to do?

3. Just today, it started displaying another related error "Text messaging memory full. Incoming SMS rejected" I was reminded of Nokia 3310 days!

Is there a way to delete JUST the sent SMS/MMS from the Messaging list? I can just delete the whole thread it seems?

4. Juice Defender seems to freeze the phone albeit rarely. It happens like this - after prolonged period of inactivity, JD disables radio and data activity (indicated by a red circle on top right of JD logo in the notification bar). When I try to unlock the phone from this state, it becomes extremely laggy. Hence the other option is to re-start.

However, I wish to retain JD as it has improved my battery life *drastically*

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 23rd May 2011 at 21:50.
Old 23rd May 2011, 22:46   #3255
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need help

amit - mech engineer bhai,

word of the day: Root + Overclock
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed