Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2012, 14:59   #9226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman
it'll be interesting to see how it plays temple run lag free. It needs fair amount of horsepower - lagging even on the defy at times. (read certain MIUI/WIUI ROMs)
But sir will that be much of problem? My ipod touch 2nd gen plays it without lag. And i doubt if its even got that much horse power as the phones in context.
P.s temple run scores anyone?
Old 22nd May 2012, 15:27   #9227
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
But sir will that be much of problem? My ipod touch 2nd gen plays it without lag. And i doubt if its even got that much horse power as the phones in context.
P.s temple run scores anyone?
The apps for apple products are much more tightly coupled with the hardware they run on. You would rarely find an app available on iTunes facing performance issues on the supported device. I have an ipod touch 4G and Temple run works flawlessly on it. However my defy running on CM9 (ICS) has major lagging issues. I normally restart the phone before playing Temple Run, for better performance

Temple Run Highest Score: 1521330
Old 22nd May 2012, 16:07   #9228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmolbedi View Post
Well, I own HTC one x and it has no such issues. Might be one-off devices. Also all the niggles have been fixed with latest update. With killer looks, awesome battery etc. This is an ultimate mobile. No doubt.

I havent faced any issue wrt in-call volume or speakerphone. Did you check the white one?
How much does the battery last on an average for you? I played around with the phone and liked the whiite one very much as well. The feature list is impressive too. However, having read the reviews about the battery life, a bit of lag in performance, call quality etc, am a bit sceptical. Your inputs will be appreciated in helping me take a decision.

Thanks.
Old 22nd May 2012, 16:34   #9229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCVtec View Post
my defy running on CM9 (ICS) has major lagging issues. I normally restart the phone before playing Temple Run, for better performance

Temple Run Highest Score: 1521330
My highest has been 3.75 lakh only

CM7.2- White rabbit 1.5.2 runs it perfectly without ANY lag. no reboot required!
Old 22nd May 2012, 16:46   #9230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
How much does the battery last on an average for you? I played around with the phone and liked the whiite one very much as well. The feature list is impressive too. However, having read the reviews about the battery life, a bit of lag in performance, call quality etc, am a bit sceptical. Your inputs will be appreciated in helping me take a decision.

Thanks.
To be honest, I get usually 1.5-2 days on moderate usage easily. This varies on usage pattern. Every 2-3 weeks I drain the battery completely and charge it. This has improved battery a lot.

The HTC update 1.28 has fixed lag issues and other niggles. The next update 1.29 is also around the corner which has resolved other software issues. I am very impressed by its call quality and noise cancellation. The voice sounds crisp, clear and other party is also able to hear clearly. I have used a number of Android handsets and this is by far the best one. I know I may sound partial but that is the truth.

If you have read the issues, HTC acknowledged them and provided DOA / replacement without any questions. This is some very good customer care for One Series. Let me know if you have any queries, would be glad to help.
Old 22nd May 2012, 17:18   #9231
BHPian

Quote:
Every 2-3 weeks I drain the battery completely and charge it. This has improved battery a lot.
You are actually killing your battery. this is also a method followed by most people when they buy new phones because people tell them to "discharge the battery fully during the first recharge". This advice has been passed on since a decade and though it was helpful for Nicd batteries it is not needed for lithium/li-on ones. it only damages them.

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

Laptop battery myths – Marco.org

The Top 3 Android Battery Myths

Last edited by Bluengel180 : 22nd May 2012 at 17:20.
Old 22nd May 2012, 17:38   #9232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
You are actually killing your battery. this is also a method followed by most people when they buy new phones because people tell them to "discharge the battery fully during the first recharge". This advice has been passed on since a decade and though it was helpful for Nicd batteries it is not needed for lithium/li-on ones. it only damages them.
Thanks for the information.
Old 22nd May 2012, 18:44   #9233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohit17 View Post
Dear before buying Explorer do check out this latest offering from Karbonn (yes you read it right)..which is selling like hot cakes in my town.

Model: A9
Looks: Akin to HTC One series
Display: 3.8"
Processor: 1Ghz
Memory: 512MB
Camera: 5MP
Price point: Rs.8K-9K
Type: Dual Sim

Hey,

The phone doesn't look bad, but how is its reliability?? I do plan to use my new phone for at least the next 2 - 3 years.
Old 23rd May 2012, 10:08   #9234
BHPian

Thanks phamilyman. Tango worked alright although video quality could have been better.

My defy no longer reboots randomly. I don't know how but it is perfectly normal now. earlier (read - when I used to have the problem) the E signal was displayed at the top on connecting to the mobile network. From last week it has been d showing H instead of E and the problem hasnt surfaced since then. Any guesses as to what the problem might have been?
Old 23rd May 2012, 10:57   #9235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteemer View Post

My defy no longer reboots randomly. I don't know how but it is perfectly normal now. earlier (read - when I used to have the problem) the E signal was displayed at the top on connecting to the mobile network. From last week it has been d showing H instead of E and the problem hasnt surfaced since then. Any guesses as to what the problem might have been?
E - refers to EDGE Connectivity to internet (2G Network)
H - refers to HSDPA Connectivity to internet (3G Network)

I don't think running on HSDPA or EDGE will have any affect on the reboot issues on your phone. I can surely say that viber/Tango or any video call applications run only on HSDPA/3G and CANNOT run on 2G.

Please contact your network operator and make sure there is some 3G plan installed if you want to avoid surprises/shocks with your mobile bill.
Old 23rd May 2012, 11:04   #9236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteemer View Post
Thanks phamilyman. Tango worked alright although video quality could have been better.

E means EDGE and its 2.5G while H means HSPA (3G). I think the reboot happens when the radio switches between 2G and 3G towers. Well, if you're on 2G plan, better leave the Wireless configuration as "2G Only", only if on 3G, use "3G Preferred"

If on 2G plan, and showing H means you may have surprises in your bill. Do get in touch with CC and clarify.

Last edited by bhp_maniac : 23rd May 2012 at 11:06.
Old 23rd May 2012, 14:36   #9237
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
E - refers to EDGE Connectivity to internet (2G Network)
H - refers to HSDPA Connectivity to internet (3G Network)
Oh, thanks, I never understood that.

I don't have a data plan as such, just a prepaid Aircel connection which is 3G (actually, I don't make many calls at all) and, yes, I've noticed that data is very expensive indeed. I only use it occasionally, so not too fussed --- but is it cheaper to say use 2G only?

sorry, this is more a general telecoms question than an android question

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 23rd May 2012 at 14:37.
Old 23rd May 2012, 15:33   #9238
BHPian

Galaxy S III cometh...

Got the below message on Facebook yesterday from Saholic:

Saholic.com
The Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 goes live on Saholic.com tomorrow morning 8 AM with price and availability. Meanwhile find out how the S3 compares to S2

AND it is listed today:

Samsung Galaxy S III I9300
Rs 39990
Android v4.0 (ICS)
Quad-core 1.4 GHz proces…
4.8 inch HD Super AMOLED

Anybody jumping the bandwagon now....
Old 23rd May 2012, 16:45   #9239
BHPian

Quote:
Mine is HT23 April one. I bought the very first batch. And no issues touch wood. The carrier locked HTC sold in UK and other countries have those issues primarily. The update fixed software issues. The stock headphone sounded fine. No issues. I have a sennheiser one which sounds brilliant with my HTC one x. Still if you have any questions you can ask, would be glad to help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBR_SHR View Post
My One X is a HT24A and it is flawless. No issues of any kind. Highly impressed with this phone. Audio via headset is pretty decent.
Thanks guys, for the feedback.
I will be checking out the HOX at a different store this weekend, especially the volume. I am not sure if ill be buying this weekend though, since my wifey insists I see the S3 before deciding. Not sure if ill live with spending 40K on the S3 (HOX @36K is lavish enough).
Old 23rd May 2012, 16:53   #9240
Senior - BHPian

Motorola Defy + Update

hello all,

I thought i should share some experience about my defy+ till date.

Thanks a lot to all who gave in their good words about this wonderful phone. Touch wood so far i have not faced any reboot issues or any other issues whatsoever.

I have not done any modification in terms of custom rom or rooting on my phone and have been using it as it was out of the box. Just added my email accounts, twitter etc and things have been going great. In the initial days i used to get battery life for one day due to constant play around with the new phone. But since things are settled now i get amazing battery out of this phone. I do a full charge on day 1 morning before leaving for work and that charge lasts me till about 17:00-18:00 day 2 evening.

My useage pattern

1. Push email x 2 (Gmail & Work ID) on 24/7
2. avg 1-1.5 hrs of calling per working day
3. tbhp app ( placed on home screen)
4. VERY VERY little gaming. only 2 games installed. Angry Birds and Temple Run
5. Screen resolution kept to Automatic
6. Vibration OFF
7. Whatsapp is always buzzing so i have switched off the alert tones. (heavy whatsapp user)
8. I use data on EDGE and when i need to do some heavy application / internet work i use wifi.
9. Removed the FB app; i figured out that it was a main culprit for draining the battery.

My phone was full charged yesterday morning and its 16:46 as i am typing this and the battery level shown is @ 30% still.

I do not intend to root or use any sort of custom roms on this as i am very happy the way it is.

Now coming to the DEFY+ factor. tested scratching the screen with a fork and also accidentally dropped the phone in mud and had to wash it after. All working absolutely fine.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

e.g. please Type 'Phone' instead of 'fone' this has been corrected this time in your post but please be careful from next time.

Last edited by Technocrat : 25th May 2012 at 01:59. Reason: Read the note in your post, thanks

Most Viewed