Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2012, 04:32   #9301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy
Any idea what will be the price for the galaxy s3? guess they are launching it here on 31/may.
I expect it to be between 32K To 34999.
Assuming most high end phones love this price range as buyers accept it easily for first lot ownership.

Let see if I am close to the actual pricing.
Old 28th May 2012, 11:09   #9302
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Searched a lot since yesterday evening. 100 calls across Pune to find out the cheapest price for Galaxy Tab 2 and a decent phone and finally zero'ed on after lots of deliberations and other aspects. Loved galaxy S2, but darn expensive for 27k. Everyone was saying go for it. However i looked at it objectively.

1. Nokia X3-02 RM 775 (comes with 1ghz processor) (dealers call it x302.5)

Serves the phone and the basics with music/wifi/hsdpa and others.

Attachment 932603

2. Galaxy Tab 2 + 16 GB mem card for 19k with B/W
Attachment 932604
Serves as phone+ and tablet.

Initial impressions.. is that i am happy to note that X3 voice is extremely clear for the caller and for the reciever as well.

As for Galaxy Tab2, the 3g speeds rock..thecall quality is very acceptable and so does the other features. Fits in 1 hand and the typing and google voice rocks. The only thing is that it requires the internet connection to work. I am not sure if i am missing something.
Smart choice
I am still waiting for my Tab 2 to arrive. Nice to know, it ticked all your requirements. I am glad since I too have a similar requirement set like yours. Happy Tabbing

Regarding face unlock, its something good to show off. But will get fed up with it soon. IMO A pattern unlock seems to the best lock option.
Old 28th May 2012, 12:37   #9303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
Thanks guys, for the feedback.
I will be checking out the HOX at a different store this weekend, especially the volume. I am not sure if ill be buying this weekend though, since my wifey insists I see the S3 before deciding. Not sure if ill live with spending 40K on the S3 (HOX @36K is lavish enough).
I checked out HOX at three different stores yesterday and all suffered from poor loudspeaker output.

The output lacked clarity and the voice seemed broken-down and jarred. Infact one of the stores (Reliance Digital at Phoenix Marketplace) allowed me to test the HOX in their home-theatre room (sound-proof), only to see the same results. Ofcourse it sounded awesome with a Beats headset, the white and red full size headphones, but loudspeaker quality makes HOX go out of my shopping list.

I am now waiting for the official S3 prices and would grab one if the loudspeaker quality is acceptable and phone priced below 40K. If not, S2 it is for me.
Old 28th May 2012, 17:57   #9304
Senior - BHPian

My Moto Defy has started exhibiting a problem. I think it is something with CM 7.1.1 or with the lockscreen software.
I cannot sometimes get the display ON by using the volume rocker or even the power button.
After rebooting several times (including removal of battery) and after going back to the default AWD Launcher theme, I am now OK.
But I will take this opportunity to switch to some other ROM after my data backup.

Please suggest.
What is the latest on ICS for Defy? What will I be missing?
Old 28th May 2012, 18:07   #9305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N
My Moto Defy has started exhibiting a problem. I think it is something with CM 7.1.1 or with the lockscreen software.
I cannot sometimes get the display ON by using the volume rocker or even the power button.
After rebooting several times (including removal of battery) and after going back to the default AWD Launcher theme, I am now OK.
But I will take this opportunity to switch to some other ROM after my data backup.

Please suggest.
What is the latest on ICS for Defy? What will I be missing?
I had posted abpout this earlier. Its to do with the proximity sensor. Stupidly different ROMs configure it differently IMO.

When u cannot get the screen back on, does the faint red light of proximity sensor glow?(top lhs just above screen). Just swipe in front of it and screen may turn on. If so, its a sensor issue. Stick to CM based roms. I rewcommend white rabbit 1,5,2

Else try the simple workaround posted by me earlier - its a youtube link
Old 28th May 2012, 22:28   #9306
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
I expect it to be between 32K To 34999.
Assuming most high end phones love this price range as buyers accept it easily for first lot ownership.

Let see if I am close to the actual pricing.
I am picking one for sure if it in that price range!

Let us wait and watch till 31/may
Old 29th May 2012, 03:23   #9307
Senior - BHPian

I believe I'v stumbled upon a bug in ICS after upgrading my Xperia Ray. Bug seems to exist in the WiFi policy. Possibly other phones will also have it. WiFi policy has 3 options -

Keep WiFi on during sleep
1) Always
2) Only when plugged in
3) Never (increases data usage)

Firstly, the wording is ambiguous, to say the lest... esp. the 3rd option. I assume they mean it increases EDGE/3G data usage (assuming it is also enabled).

Now, the issue is that my phone simply does not seem to switch off the Wifi when kept on either option 1 or 3. Option 2 does seem to make the WiFi sleep but sometime after the screen turns off. And when it does sleep, it seems to refuse to wake up with the phone, unless kicked (read switched off and on). Pretty irritating.

Battery life after upgrading seems to have degraded. No marks for guessing that this buggy WiFi pollicy seems to be wasting the juice.

Has anybody encountered this? A quick search online says others have indeed encountered the same issue.

Its really surprising that Google has released an upgrade with such an obvious bug and with such ambiguously worded options.

Last edited by Raccoon : 29th May 2012 at 03:27.
Old 29th May 2012, 07:41   #9308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I had posted abpout this earlier. Its to do with the proximity sensor. Stupidly different ROMs configure it differently IMO.

When u cannot get the screen back on, does the faint red light of proximity sensor glow?(top lhs just above screen). Just swipe in front of it and screen may turn on. If so, its a sensor issue. Stick to CM based roms. I rewcommend white rabbit 1,5,2

Else try the simple workaround posted by me earlier - its a Youtube link
Well, I did not notice that and my phone is working fine since last evening.
I think it has got something to do with my screen guard which has come out from the top several times and has been fixed back (along with all the dust that it has picked up from my pocket).

I will try White rabbit (hope it has a torch application!)

BTW: Isn't ICS 4.0.4 from Epsylon having almost all features working now?
Old 29th May 2012, 07:47   #9309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post

1) Always
2) Only when plugged in

Firstly, the wording is ambiguous, to say the lest... esp. the 3rd option. I assume they mean it increases EDGE/3G data usage (assuming it is also enabled).

And when it does sleep, it seems to refuse to wake up with the phone, unless kicked (read switched off and on). Pretty irritating.

Battery life after upgrading seems to have degraded. No marks for guessing that this buggy WiFi pollicy seems to be wasting the juice.

Has anybody encountered this?
Yes. Same issue here, thought i am on un-official AOKP ICS 4.0.4. But I am living with it for now. Rare occasions when the wifi is on and the screen is off.
Agree with you the 3rd option doesn't make sense.

But in my case the battery backup has increased.

2G only and Wifi for 1hr - I got 26hrs
3Gonly - 12hrs

Wifi + charging at the same time - Phone gets super hot.

Quote:
Now, the issue is that my phone simply does not seem to switch off the Wifi when kept on either option 1 or 3. Option 2 does seem to make the WiFi sleep but sometime after the screen turns off.
I cannot check this, how do you check if wifi is switched off actually, though the icon disappears.
Old 29th May 2012, 08:43   #9310
BHPian

Quote:
Has anybody encountered this? A quick search online says others have indeed encountered the same issue.
I'll have to check this out. I don't keep wifi ON all the time, instead my edge data is ON all the time. Surprising part is that Sony released ICS update with 4.0.3, which was buggy as hell. Even Google had stopped sending this version to Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus. ICS 4.0.4 fixes lot of issues.

Battery consumption has definitely increased, but I can't say if that's because of this bug. The usage pattern for me still shows the same trend as it was in GB.

Eagerly waiting for ICS 4.0.4 update from Sony.
Old 29th May 2012, 11:18   #9311
BHPian

My Note is draining battery like anything after ICS upgrade. Struggling to get to 24 hrs with my usage. Whereas I used to 36 hrs easily when I was on GB. I realized Samsung has pushed 4.0.3. Not sure if this is related to the above post. Any other Note users on ICS facing similar issue?
Old 29th May 2012, 11:25   #9312
BHPian

Quote:
I believe I'v stumbled upon a bug in ICS after upgrading my Xperia Ray. Bug seems to exist in the WiFi policy. Possibly other phones will also have it. WiFi policy has 3 options -

These were the same options in gingerbread as well, just choose option three and wifi switches off and falls back to edge/3g to save battery life.

If you need better battery life, turn mobile data off(if you dont need data) or set the network to 2G only (this saves battery) .
Old 29th May 2012, 12:14   #9313
BHPian

Time for my ICS update
Have been using it for the past few days on the Note. Few peculiarities observed:-

1. When my screen turns off i can see a blue dot glowing right in the middle of the screen. And it doesnt turn off even after a few minutes. Visible clearly in the dark. But as im typing this I can still see it when the screen times out.
Is there any risk to the screen? Ive never seen this happen in Gingerbread and its been there from the moment i updated to ICS.

2. Battery life has been variable. Last afternoon at 2pm i fully charged up my battery. And i left it idle except every hour id check my messages. Wifi was turned on. Battery at 12am midnight was 98% used. I turned off the wifi when i noticed it to be on. Today after waking up at 7am i checked the battery and it showed 86%. There had been no calls or messages after 10pm last night and the battery was 98% when i turned off wifi.

This is bothering me somewhat how the phone is consuming 10%battery with everything turned off and all apps closed.

3. Chrome beta is a very good browser especially when one can select the Request Desktop Version of a website. But I found the default samsung browser to be faster after the ICS upgrade. Has anyone noticed the same?

4. Stylus or Spen continues to have the same problem of not pointing exact area of the screen. Precision is still the same and is a headache when using Sketching apps. The defect i feel is in the Stylus itself especially when the nib lies at an angle. I wish Samsung allowes us to use the Wacom tablet pens since the stylus is made using Wacoms tech. But theres no cross compatibility with my wacom pen and tablet and the note and S pen.

5. Face unlock is fairly accurate and the option to improve it with multiple lighting conditions is also a boon. But yes it also unlocks the phone with your photo.

6. Samsung has very cleverly removed all of ICS default wallpapers and clocks. And the samsung live wallpapers are really very boring.

Any more info about the Note and ICS?

Thanks

Edit:
Developer mode is also very nice to use even though im not a developer. But helps to point out issues in my sketching apps. It must be one very handy tool for appdevs. Nice of Samsung to make it default.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 29th May 2012 at 12:20.
Old 29th May 2012, 12:18   #9314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
My Note is draining battery like anything after ICS upgrade. Struggling to get to 24 hrs with my usage. Whereas I used to 36 hrs easily when I was on GB. I realized Samsung has pushed 4.0.3. Not sure if this is related to the above post. Any other Note users on ICS facing similar issue?

Thats strange, my battery life has improved after ICS.

@ Note owners on ICS - whats your feedback on this?
Old 29th May 2012, 13:03   #9315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Time for my ICS update
Have been using it for the past few days on the Note. Few peculiarities observed:-

1. When my screen turns off i can see a blue dot glowing right in the middle of the screen. And it doesnt turn off even after a few minutes. Visible clearly in the dark. But as im typing this I can still see it when the screen times out.
Is there any risk to the screen? Ive never seen this happen in Gingerbread and its been there from the moment i updated to ICS.
Not seen this happen in mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post

2. Battery life has been variable. Last afternoon at 2pm i fully charged up my battery. And i left it idle except every hour id check my messages. Wifi was turned on. Battery at 12am midnight was 98% used. I turned off the wifi when i noticed it to be on. Today after waking up at 7am i checked the battery and it showed 86%. There had been no calls or messages after 10pm last night and the battery was 98% when i turned off wifi.
From where I am, looks like you have really good battery. Still you can check what is consuming the battery.. I have seen cases where cell standby consumes quite a bit of power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Thats strange, my battery life has improved after ICS.

@ Note owners on ICS - whats your feedback on this?
Hmm, seems like only I am facing this issue ( among Note owners at least). Googled it and couldn't find many posts on this. Guess I need to check what's going wrong. The battery usage shows Voice calls to be the primary cause but my calling pattern has not changed much. So I doubt that could be the actual reason.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks