Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2012, 15:07   #10051
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
You can refer to the below link on XDA forums. You need to be a member to down load AFAIK.
I see that v6.9 with world navigation is available now.. going to install that
Old 11th July 2012, 15:36   #10052
Senior - BHPian

A shot of Curve 3G vs HTC 1X.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-dsc_1460-medium.jpg  

Old 11th July 2012, 16:45   #10053
BHPian

Recently installed the unofficial ICS 4.0.4 on my Samsung galaxy S. Everything is fine except for youtube and slight lag while running memory intensive apps.
Old 11th July 2012, 16:55   #10054
Distinguished - BHPian

Android 4.0.4 update for international Galaxy Note users. (From the net)

"Samsung’s Android 4.0.4 updating spree continues, with today’s news that the international Galaxy Note (that’s the one with GT-N7000 on the box) has also been bumped from 4.0.3 to 4.0.4 (build IMM76D to be precise). The update to the newer version of Ice Cream Sandwich brings with it a couple of interesting new software additions from Samsung, too.

First up, the Pop-up Play feature from the Galaxy S III, which allows videos to be played in a window over the top of existing apps, has been ported to the Note in the new software update. And “signature unlock” has been introduced as a new unlock method, whereby you can sign your name on the screen using the S Pen instead of using PIN or pattern unlock. Aside from that, Android 4.0.4 itself is a pretty minor update to ICS, and we wouldn’t expect too many major changes, besides the usual performance tweaks and bug fixes.

The Android 4.0.4 update for the Galaxy Note is available now on unlocked German handsets, and other territories should start seeing it in the days and weeks ahead. German Note users will be able to pick up the update to the new XXLRG firmware versionover the air, or through Samsung’s Kies desktop software."
Old 11th July 2012, 17:38   #10055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
Recently installed the unofficial ICS 4.0.4 on my Samsung galaxy S. Everything is fine except for Youtube
What exactly are you facing with youtube?

This link has the modded youtube app which plays HD for ICS over wifi and 3G.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1529715

There is this other package, which resolves the 720p HD playback issue on some custom ICS roms. Check it out at this link:
[MOD][ICS] Support for 720p Video Record/Playback on ICS's ROMs with BigMem Kernels. - xda-developers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
slight lag while running memory intensive apps.
Most custom ICS ROMS have a setting where you can increase the memory reservation upto 80MB or 100 MB in some cases, which is known as Bigmem. This allows game play with minimal lag. Hope this helps.
Old 11th July 2012, 17:39   #10056
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Android 4.0.4 update for international Galaxy Note users. (From the net)
Thanks!

I just hope the fix the battery life related issues. I really cant understand what is preventing the phone from going into deep sleep. Its just so random.
Old 11th July 2012, 18:43   #10057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
And “signature unlock” has been introduced as a new unlock method, whereby you can sign your name on the screen using the S Pen instead of using PIN or pattern unlock.
Nice feature.

I noted a unique (I think so) screen on (before unlock) feature in the Blackberry Dev Alpha 10 phone I posted yesterday

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...s-_dsc6482.jpg

While display is off, you just tickle the screen by drawing randomly on it - screen comes alive! Normally, you need to press power button or some other button to bring the screen alive.
Old 11th July 2012, 18:49   #10058
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Nice feature.
Yes, that's one feature am looking forward to. Now I have to press the home or power button to switch on the screen and then have to unlock it. I use the simple slide unlock since I dont want to undergo N number of steps to unlock the screen.
Old 11th July 2012, 22:31   #10059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
What exactly are you facing with Youtube?
This link has the modded Youtube app which plays HD for ICS over wifi and 3G.
[MOD][2.4.4/4.0.8E] YouTube APK with 720p HD playback (WiFi + 3G) - xda-developers
There is this other package, which resolves the 720p HD playback issue on some custom ICS roms. Check it out at this link:
[MOD][ICS] Support for 720p Video Record/Playback on ICS's ROMs with BigMem Kernels. - xda-developers
Most custom ICS ROMS have a setting where you can increase the memory reservation upto 80MB or 100 MB in some cases, which is known as Bigmem. This allows game play with minimal lag. Hope this helps.
Thank you for the info and links. I have installed ICS from this site with the kernel listed for download at the top part of the page

Team Nyx » Releases

I checked again and youtube works but takes some time to load and start playing videos.
Old 12th July 2012, 09:15   #10060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I see that v6.9 with world navigation is available now.. going to install that
6.9 doesn't have world navigation enabled. i installed yesterday on my xperia ray but navigation says the same message "this feature is not available in your area".
Old 12th July 2012, 09:35   #10061
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
6.9 doesn't have world navigation enabled. i installed yesterday on my xperia ray but navigation says the same message "this feature is not available in your area".
you need to install the hacked apk and not the official maps from Play store. But for this version of maps, the hacked apk will work only if you have a rooted phone.

If you have an unrooted phone you can install slightly older hacked maps version v6.5.1 that is available on XDA.
Old 12th July 2012, 09:39   #10062
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
you need to install the hacked apk and not the official maps from Play store. But for this version of maps, the hacked apk will work only if you have a rooted phone.

If you have an unrooted phone you can install slightly older hacked maps version v6.5.1 that is available on XDA.
got it now. yesterday after getting frustrated, i rooted my ray.
today i'll install this ownhere version of google maps from xda for world navigation.

i still wonder how "mayankk" is having world navigation enabled in stock maps app. may be because of custom rom he is running.

Last edited by Nicky : 12th July 2012 at 09:41.
Old 12th July 2012, 10:44   #10063
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's a blog report.

Every phone since the Galaxy S II is capable of running Jelly Bean, and should run it well. The Galaxy S III will be updated.

The Galaxy Note will get Jelly Bean, but only after the Galaxy Note 2 appears. Rumors say the Note 2 is coming this year, so they won't pull anyone off until it's finished. We don't have to like it, but that's how it goes.

The Galaxy S II will get Jelly Bean. It will be an old version of TouchWiz so as not to change the user experience too awful much, but think Samsung will spend the time and money to get Jelly Bean and the last-gen TouchWiz to play nice together.

The Note and the Galaxy S II are going to take a long time to get it though. Priority is going to go to getting the current-gen phones and their version of TW updated. Once that's done, even less time and less money will be directed to the older models, but it will come. Eventually.
Old 12th July 2012, 11:46   #10064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Note and the Galaxy S II are going to take a long time to get it though
Thats why we hope Cyanomgenmod gives us a better Jelly bean experience instead of the completely bloated samsung OS.

The CM9 is already my most fav rom. Simple, smooth and fast and feels very light.

My wifes S2 was in check rom and ICS. I loaded CM9 and she says the phone feels far smoother and faster.

The time it takes to load gallary or any application like camera is far faster in CM9 to her now.
Old 12th July 2012, 16:12   #10065
Senior - BHPian

Shame on Sony!

Sony is earning a lot of flak for pulling a fast one on its customers - they have a line up of new phones which have same or lower spec hardware that are running ICS very smoothly. And 2011 Xperia customers are being led to believe that due to hardware constraints the 2011 Xperias, some which have better hardware will not run ICS too well? This is even displayed on the upgrade page! Not only is the ICS experience as smooth, the updates are full of bugs. Most have been mentioned in earlier posts, so won't repeat.

This post in Sony forums says it all:

Quote:
Re: Sony's Conflict of Interest Regarding ICS and Hardware Specification

No ICs runs very fast and smoothly on both those phones. I think that was the point uliwooly was making, uliwooly could not see any lag in the performance of these phones.

Now the evidence is out to dispel and contradict what Sony's developmental team stated about the hardware and ram requirements for ICS. These phones have either the exact hardware and Ram found in the 2011 Xperias or worse hardware( lower processing power) and same Ram as the 2011 Xperias.

Yet these phones are able to run ICS and run it with great performance and stability.

Sony Mobile has to explain to their 2011 customers why these NEW 2012 phones with the same hardware (processor, clock speed ) and RAM as the 2011 Xperia Ray runs ICS with great stability and great performance while the official ICS Sony Mobile ROM for the Ray has so many issues with regards to stability and performance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks