Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2013, 18:23   #15166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
To Samsung Galaxy S4 owners: I would recommend 'against' the purchase of S View cover right now. I bought one and been using it since evening of 16th May. Not even 2 complete weeks and I already see the skin/cloth type material of the top of the cover starting to peel off.
Thanks for the heads-up. We had almost finalized to get this along with the phone, but fortunately decided against it 2499/- is an exorbitant price for a cover (ya Smart cover) of a phone.

I think that AMZER has one of the best collection of mobile cases for virtually any phone and the prices are pretty good too.
For instace, have a look at this one:
http://www.flipkart.com/amzer-95548-...9-59a5b6ed7c9c
Old 27th May 2013, 18:44   #15167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I saw your earlier post but the issue was resolved without doing anything, I think I posted about it as well. I didn't mean that I continued to have that issue, just that I faced it.

EDIT: Now that I clicked on the link, just two posts later you'd find that it got resolved by itself.
yeah but if you research this problem, it does happen intermittently on some phones and the most reliable method is what I shared - thats what has been discussed several times in the past
Old 27th May 2013, 19:39   #15168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To Samsung Galaxy S4 owners: I would recommend 'against' the purchase of S View cover right now.
One advice mate. Never ever, never ever, buy any accessory from Samsung OEM. Reason - Expensive, No Guarantee.

I have got a free Flip Cover from Samsung for my Grand. It started showing the same symptoms in 15 days. The next thing I did was "eBay". Found Flip cover for 300 bucks in variety of colours.

HERE is my post with the flip cover for my Grand. I am more than 100% sure that you would find similar products for your S4, at a much much cheaper price with the look and finish of OEM. Best part is, if it wears off, you can throw it away and buy another one. Won't pinch your pocket.
Old 27th May 2013, 23:23   #15169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
Hi Omar,

The phone is doing really great. Battery life is not much great (though having big battery). I got a latest build update too (.257). Looks like the Camera performance seems good post update. Also, the UI becomes butter smooth now. Yet to read the changelog of this build.
Thanks for your valuable input mate Also wanted to ask: How are the external speakers and does the phone heat up too often?

Thanks in advance
Old 27th May 2013, 23:24   #15170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Check the same product (but not original) here: http://www.obostore.com/s-view-back-...0-p-14999.html
k_ajay,

Did you buy something from the obostore, i see some cases and cradles that i like. What are your opinions about this website? Any drawbacks?
Old 27th May 2013, 23:52   #15171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Thanks for the heads-up. We had almost finalized to get this along with the phone, but fortunately decided against it 2499/- is an exorbitant price for a cover (ya Smart cover) of a phone.

I think that AMZER has one of the best collection of mobile cases for virtually any phone and the prices are pretty good too.
Hi Ajay (namesake) ,

I did find the price is exorbitant too but I did like the functionality of the S View cover, which is why I went for it. I've owned more than 17 mobile phones since 1999 and not once I've spent anywhere close to Rs. 21xx for a cover case (got some discount on dailyobjects.com due to my credit card).

Normally I buy a simple gel cover case to ensure the phone doesn't receive nicks and scrapes if it falls down (which I almost never allow). I like Capdase. That Amzer case sure looks good but visually very bulky. Probably eats away from the phone slim grip/factor. No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
One advice mate. Never ever, never ever, buy any accessory from Samsung OEM. Reason - Expensive, No Guarantee.

I have got a free Flip Cover from Samsung for my Grand. It started showing the same symptoms in 15 days. The next thing I did was "eBay". Found Flip cover for 300 bucks in variety of colours.

I am more than 100% sure that you would find similar products for your S4, at a much much cheaper price with the look and finish of OEM. Best part is, if it wears off, you can throw it away and buy another one. Won't pinch your pocket.
Hi Soumyajit. As I mentioned above, wasn't intent on getting a Samsung original accessory. Just wanted the S View cover and I could only find Samsung S View original cover when I wanted it (immediately for my phone). It does have a 6 months warranty which I'm going to go claim this Saturday (as discussed with S customer care).

Ebay is good, yes. I find Obostore in Hong Kong priced fair and with lots of variety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
k_ajay,

Did you buy something from the obostore, i see some cases and cradles that i like. What are your opinions about this website? Any drawbacks?
Hello. I've ordered once before and got the package in perfect condition without issues and the purchased accessories were of very good quality, exactly as illustrated on their respective product webpage.

I ordered for an S View cover clone and a silly slap on cover for my S4 and both have just landed in India today. And I ordered on 16th May. You only need to be patient for the shipping (which is either free without tracking or with additional $2 for tracking and in-person delivery, by our India post).

Their CS is also very friendly and flexible (in changing a color I must have incorrectly selected, etc.).
Old 28th May 2013, 10:02   #15172
BANNED

Mid price phone

My wife has a Wildfire S which is about 27 months old. The ringer is now in the process of dying. So I need to replace it with another phone in the price of 15k max. I will prefer another htc / Sammy but am open to other major brands. Android 4.x preferred. Please advise.
Old 28th May 2013, 10:06   #15173
BHPian

Re: Mid price phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
My wife has a Wildfire S which is about 27 months old. The ringer is now in the process of dying. So I need to replace it with another phone in the price of 15k max. I will prefer another htc / Sammy but am open to other major brands. Android 4.x preferred. Please advise.

HTC Desire X is a good choice.
Old 28th May 2013, 10:36   #15174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar View Post
Thanks for your valuable input mate Also wanted to ask: How are the external speakers and does the phone heat up too often?

Thanks in advance
Hi Omar,

Yes, it heats up sometimes but not always (during heavy usage). Since I was migrated from Defy to Xperia I did see the heating issues less in SP.

The phone speakers are really really good while watching the movies. Though call quality is good, I noticed that the volume level during call is very low ( in non-speaker mode) though the volume is set on max position (thanks to Audio manger to handling sound levels)

According to me, the phone is really worth for every penny I spent (read as vfm).
Old 28th May 2013, 10:44   #15175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
SG saab,

Please see http://www.xolo.in/q800 which has gotten a very good review from many friends. PM zenx here.

Maha value for money I say! Of course, do check voice quality, esp if she has to take conference calls etc regularly.
Old 28th May 2013, 11:18   #15176
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Please see http://www.xolo.in/q800 which has gotten a very good review from many friends. PM zenx here.

Maha value for money I say! Of course, do check voice quality, esp if she has to take conference calls etc regularly.
Looks like an excellent unit. One quickie - how easy / difficult is the unit t root and the roadmap for it. Please PM / email me. Only we are going out on the 4th for two weeks, so I may try to get it on our return, or look for it in Manipal / Udupi.

Only it is not a major brand!

Last edited by sgiitk : 28th May 2013 at 11:26.
Old 28th May 2013, 13:44   #15177
Senior - BHPian

tapatalk 4 hd is free in playstore today.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...talk.tapatalk4

4 year anniversary celebration
Old 28th May 2013, 14:06   #15178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have purchased Samsung Galaxy S Advance recently and would advise the same in 15k price range.

It comes pre-installed with Android Gingerbread, but Samsung has recently released the official Jelly Bean update. I updated it as soon as I received it.

Features include 4 inch 480x800 AMOLED display, dual core A9 processor, 16 GB storage, memory card slot, 768 MB RAM, 1500 mAh battery, 5 MP camera, 720p video recording, 1.3 MP front camera and the other usual stuff like wifi, bluetooth, GPS etc.

Amazing value for money, premium looks and Samsung brand name.

(The model is not readily available at stores, I purchased it online)

Rohan
Old 28th May 2013, 17:20   #15179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
tapatalk 4 hd is free in playstore today.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...talk.tapatalk4
4 year anniversary celebration
How does this "free" thingy work? If you download it today, it you acquire a license for free? Or its only this version thats free to download?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I have purchased Samsung Galaxy S Advance recently and would advise the same in 15k price range.

It comes pre-installed with Android Gingerbread, but Samsung has recently released the official Jelly Bean update. I updated it as soon as I received it.

Features include 4 inch 480x800 AMOLED display, dual core A9 processor, 16 GB storage, memory card slot, 768 MB RAM, 1500 mAh battery, 5 MP camera, 720p video recording, 1.3 MP front camera and the other usual stuff like wifi, bluetooth, GPS etc.

Amazing value for money, premium looks and Samsung brand name.

(The model is not readily available at stores, I purchased it online)

Rohan
Friend has one. Says the camera is utter rubbish. Besides that no significant issues. This was while on GB.

Quote:
Hi again... after a long time! If its just the ringer that is the problem, I believe, if you can find a good small time repair shop, you could have the ringer replaced in minutes and very cheap. Yes, I'v found small time repair guys can often be much better and way cheaper than authorized SC. I'd gotten the microphone of a phone replaced maybe a year or so ago. The replacement that the guy used was much better than the original Nokia mic, lol! Also, had taken the same phone to bigger places. For eg. The Mobile Store technician disassambled the whole thing and did all kinda tests for over half hour and told me I'd need to leave the phone with them... and pay some 300 bucks as min. service charge. Nokia SC was something similar, etc, etc. The small time shop fixed the thing in 10 mins flat for 100 bucks. And I got to watch him do it and now I could do it myself, if I could source the spares.

Ringer should be equally easy to replace.

Last edited by Raccoon : 28th May 2013 at 17:28.
Old 28th May 2013, 17:31   #15180
Senior - BHPian

If there are any Atrix 2 users still on the forum, there is a new JB leak (leak 3) and it has addressed quite a few issues. I've installed it and it is definitely much smoother.

Head over to XDA for more details. You can directly install over a previous leak with RSD Lite - all data remains intact.

Most Viewed