Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2013, 01:41   #15301
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

^^^Well, thats what it showed when I checked. Few minutes later, I installed and tried out Nemus. Didn't quite like it. Not bad at all, but the "feel" isn't as good as Nova. Uninstalled. Now back to good old Nova.
Old 7th June 2013, 11:25   #15302
Senior - BHPian

For launchers, I would highly recommend Apex Pro or Holo HD. Both are smooth, less resource hungry and very stable. However, they both lack all those fancy animations that other launchers like Go or Next get - but if you like simple and robust then give those a shot.

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 7th June 2013 at 11:26.
Old 7th June 2013, 11:49   #15303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
For launchers, I would highly recommend Apex Pro or Holo HD. Both are smooth, less resource hungry and very stable. However, they both lack all those fancy animations that other launchers like Go or Next get - but if you like simple and robust then give those a shot.
+1 for Holo HD. Its pretty light and snappy. I tried many others but this one is the best, sans the fancy features.
Old 7th June 2013, 12:02   #15304
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^Well, thats what it showed when I checked. Few minutes later, I installed and tried out Nemus. Didn't quite like it. Not bad at all, but the "feel" isn't as good as Nova. Uninstalled. Now back to good old Nova.

Yeah, thats quite a good number.

My current rom has something called "trebuchet" cooked in.
Didnt like it, mostly because it did not allow allocating up and down swipes, which i use for the notification bar and the app drawer.
Old 7th June 2013, 15:03   #15305
Distinguished - BHPian

Mine has that too, but now, as mentioned, I am going to stick with Apex, because it seems to do the necessary, and there is a limit to how many hours I can spend just trying things out --- although there are now quite a few themes installed, too, for me to play with.

These practical things I miss from MIUI: the ability to configure the LED to different colours for different events, and the same with sounds.

Another thing I would like to do is get some of the wallpapers back from both Defy+ stock and MIUI roms. I'm sure I could extract them from backups, if I only knew where to look. I haven't found them yet!

It is an amazing thing, this Android culture: a "new phone" at minimal or zero cost whenever we feel like it
Old 7th June 2013, 15:29   #15306
Distinguished - BHPian

For the led, try blink on the play store.
Old 7th June 2013, 15:49   #15307
Senior - BHPian

My Motorla Atrix 2 died about a month ago. I handed it in for warranty repairs. The 11th June will make it a month since it was left at their service centre. The phone is on its last two months of warranty. I am not really worried about the warranty expiring, its about getting the phone back. The service centre says they are waiting for spare parts which are motherboard and display. I have been super patient with them. I logged a ticket with Motorola service toll free India on 30th May. I just spoke to them again and they have asked me to wait another 10-15 days. Speaking to Motorola support is as good as talking to the wall. I ended up losing it too with the lady on the phone cause she was sounding like a robot. Does anyone on this forum work for Motorola and can you help me?
Old 7th June 2013, 16:25   #15308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
My Motorla Atrix 2 died about a month ago. I handed it in for warranty repairs. The 11th June will make it a month since it was left at their service centre. The phone is on its last two months of warranty. I am not really worried about the warranty expiring, its about getting the phone back. The service centre says they are waiting for spare parts which are motherboard and display. I have been super patient with them. I logged a ticket with Motorola service toll free India on 30th May. I just spoke to them again and they have asked me to wait another 10-15 days. Speaking to Motorola support is as good as talking to the wall. I ended up losing it too with the lady on the phone cause she was sounding like a robot. Does anyone on this forum work for Motorola and can you help me?
While Motorola hardware its generally good, their after sales service is pathetic.

Regardless of what they tell you, they'll take their sweet time to fix it
Old 7th June 2013, 16:29   #15309
BHPian

Samsung Galaxy Note N-7000 at Rs 21500/- is it VFM at this price ?

http://www.flipkart.com/samsung-gala...1-273bc3bfdfe2
Old 7th June 2013, 16:35   #15310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
Samsung Galaxy Note N-7000 at Rs 21500/- is it VFM at this price ?

http://www.flipkart.com/samsung-gala...1-273bc3bfdfe2
No. For about 4K more you will get a Nexus 4. Which is hands down a far superior phone.

The screen is smaller, but still has better resolution and three is no SD card support.
The nexus 4 beats the N7000 in every aspect apart from those 2 I've mentioned above.
Old 7th June 2013, 18:04   #15311
Senior - BHPian

I have a micromax a110 for the last 2/3 months and what puzzles me it the performance of the GPS. Sometimes it works like a charm at other times it just cant catch a GPS fix even outdoors. Any solutions?

I've tried switching the phone off and on, but the GPS performance seems the same.
Old 7th June 2013, 18:21   #15312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
I have a micromax a110 for the last 2/3 months and what puzzles me it the performance of the GPS. Sometimes it works like a charm at other times it just cant catch a GPS fix even outdoors. Any solutions?

I've tried switching the phone off and on, but the GPS performance seems the same.
GPS is essentially a bunch of satellites that are in geosynchronous orbit around earth.

Your position is calculated when you ping several GPS satellites [a minimum of 4 to give you a good fix] and each of them responds with a time code. Your phone will then calculate your position relative to those satellites.

That being said, the GPS antenna in your phone is not very powerful [to keep battery usage and size down] adverse weather conditions would effect the signal quality also if you don't have line of sight to a satellite that will effect the signal.

The GPS recievers you get for carputers and the like which are much more powerful will also draw a lot more power.

There is one thing that i have noticed though.
I've just downloaded Sygic for my phone and that gives me a much more accurate GPS location than Google Maps does.

Try using a different map software.

Also you can download some GPS tools, to see how many satellites you are receiving positioning info from and what the signal strength is.
Old 7th June 2013, 18:40   #15313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post

Was the same thing with me, still is, but I've downloaded an app called GPS Essentials and it has a host of GPS related features, one of which shows you how many satellites you're getting a fix from.
Old 7th June 2013, 19:05   #15314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
Your position is calculated when you ping several GPS satellites [a minimum of 4 to give you a good fix] and each of them responds with a time code.
I am not an expert but I thought that GPS communication was only one-way, that is, info is received from satellites but no info is sent to them by the phone itself? (like Satellite-Television)
Old 7th June 2013, 19:16   #15315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I am not an expert but I thought that GPS communication was only one-way, that is, info is received from satellites but no info is sent to them by the phone itself? (like Satellite-Television)
There is no ping activity between phone and a satellite. Satellite broadcasts time signals (like a radio station) and phone receives it like a radio (there is no communication back to satellite). Then GPS chip on phone calculates the position on XY axis by calculating the time signal and the time it took to travel from satellite to phone.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks