Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2013, 13:10   #17146
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

The entire 'lag' debate is subjective.

What actually counts as lag? Lag to me is anything beyond 2-3 seconds, but I know people who get fidgety even within that time-frame. I have colleagues with the latest gadgets, one recently got a Nexus 5, and it 'lags' sometimes according to him. There are also people who are patient with their devices. My father for example, isn't bothered waiting a few seconds as long as his phone doesn't hang and performs the required function. He uses a Canvas 2, and is happy with it, and laughs at me for complaining about my ' three-times more expensive' phone. When I asked him to check out my phone, he said "What do you expect? Super-computer grade performance? Are you really complaining about 1-2 seconds?"

The lure to get a 'faster' device never goes away, but is it really worth spending a fortune every few months on something that does the exact same things, a couple of hundred milliseconds faster (that too only in one's head in most cases)? Not to me, but it is to some people. To each his own.

Disclaimer: I own a Galaxy S3 (stock Android 4.1.2), and have never owned (but have access to and used iDevices). My S3 lags in starting up some apps, but normally works lag-free once the app is running. My last phone was a Nokia E-72 smartphone that suffered from lack of RAM and needed to be managed to extract performance, but was a heck of a lot more reliable than any of the super-expensive, delicate-as-a-feather devices we get nowadays, brand notwithstanding. The only expense I've had in 4 years of owning it is a spare battery. My S3 is already on it's 2nd protective case in less than 6 months. I wouldn't trust it to take a fall without falling apart.

End of rant.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 29th November 2013 at 13:14.
Old 29th November 2013, 13:16   #17147
Senior - BHPian

yaar, my definition of a non-laggy device is my single proc 800 mhz blackberry 9320. The S3 is terrible in comparison, heck even app switching is way faster - I am currently waiting for a cousin to be my guinea pig in trying out new ROMs, and once he confirms adequate quality of camera and GPS in custom non-touchwiz ROMs - I switch that very day !

the only thing sucking on the BB is browsing esp heavy pages, and camera/GPS navigation. It is a far better PHONE, far quicker to use than the S3!
Old 29th November 2013, 13:23   #17148
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
yaar, my definition of a non-laggy device is my single proc 800 mhz blackberry 9320. The S3 is terrible in comparison, heck even app switching is way faster - I am currently waiting for a cousin to be my guinea pig in trying out new ROMs, and once he confirms adequate quality of camera and GPS in custom non-touchwiz ROMs - I switch that very day !

the only thing sucking on the BB is browsing esp heavy pages, and camera/GPS navigation. It is a far better PHONE, far quicker to use than the S3!
You bet. The only reason I got an S3 was my organisation's exchange admin doesn't support Symbian anymore (does anyone?), and I could neither afford the latest BB, nor justify the price of an iPhone for what it offers. If reliability was the primary criteria, I'd still take my old Nokia over the S3 anyday in a heartbeat.

Can't root my phone (no org support for rooted/jail-broken devices). I'll switch to stock Android at some point, that is if I don't get frustrated and dump this phone first.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 29th November 2013 at 13:24.
Old 29th November 2013, 13:48   #17149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
yaar, my definition of a non-laggy device is my single proc 800 mhz blackberry 9320. The S3 is terrible in comparison
9320 is a phone, S3 is a computer “If that thing catches on, we’re competing with a Mac, not a Nokia,”

Quote:
Mike Lazaridis was at home on his treadmill and watching television when he first saw the Apple iPhone in early 2007. There were a few things he didn’t understand about the product. So, that summer, he pried one open to look inside and was shocked. It was like Apple had stuffed a Mac computer into a cellphone, he thought.

To Mr. Lazaridis, a life-long tinkerer who had built an oscilloscope and computer while in high school, the iPhone was a device that broke all the rules. The operating system alone took up 700 megabytes of memory, and the device used two processors. The entire BlackBerry ran on one processor and used 32 MB. Unlike the BlackBerry, the iPhone had a fully Internet-capable browser. That meant it would strain the networks of wireless companies like AT&T Inc., something those carriers hadn’t previously allowed. RIM by contrast used a rudimentary browser that limited data usage.

“I said, ‘How did they get AT&T to allow [that]?’ Mr. Lazaridis recalled in the interview at his Waterloo office. “ ‘It’s going to collapse the network.’ And in fact, some time later it did.”

Publicly, Mr. Lazaridis and Mr. Balsillie belittled the iPhone and its shortcomings, including its short battery life, weaker security and initial lack of e-mail. That earned them a reputation for being cocky and, eventually, out of touch. “That’s marketing,” Mr. Lazaridis explained. “You position your strengths against their weaknesses.”

Internally, he had a very different message. “If that thing catches on, we’re competing with a Mac, not a Nokia,” he recalled telling his staff.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...3602/?page=all
Old 29th November 2013, 13:59   #17150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post

The lure to get a 'faster' device never goes away, but is it really worth spending a fortune every few months on something that does the exact same things, a couple of hundred milliseconds faster (that too only in one's head in most cases)? Not to me, but it is to some people. To each his own.
I think, this summaries the topic really well.

Spending so much for a phone with a bit of extra "marketable" features every few months/years is a personal decision too.

Andriod Vs IOs debate is a personal decision/opinion. Both the them have advantage and disadvantages so the user needs to decide what they can compromise on.

I have a 2+ year old andriod phone ( Galaxy Y) with a custom ROM/kernel and trust me it works perfect with 80+ apps. And to say that i got this phone for about 6500 INR makes it near perfect purchase
Old 29th November 2013, 14:57   #17151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Nexus 5 is a fantastic, the overall experience is very fluid.

Here is the battery back up , initial expressions.
How does the internal storage work? Since it does not have an external SD card slot - does it just show the internal memory and the external memory as the inbuilt memory?
Old 29th November 2013, 15:13   #17152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
My oldest phone just got the latest and greatest upgrade!

Its just a month away from being 4 years

Attachment 1172349
Which ROM is that? And how does it run on the original Nexus?
Old 29th November 2013, 15:33   #17153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells_Fury View Post
Which ROM is that? And how does it run on the original Nexus?
It's the Evervolv KitKat ROM. It runs quite well on the Nexus One!
Old 29th November 2013, 16:08   #17154
BHPian

Is there any app available so that the screen doesn't timeout/get locked after a few seconds? I want to use my phone (HTC Wildfire S) as a GPS device. The max interval for the phone display to stay 'On' is for 30 minutes(from settings-->Display-->screen timeout). After that I have to unlock the screen again to read GPS. This is very irritating if I am driving solo and have to stop every 30 minutes to unlock phone.
Old 29th November 2013, 16:55   #17155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Is there any app available so that the screen doesn't timeout/get locked after a few seconds?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ndroid.keepscn
Old 29th November 2013, 18:11   #17156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Is there any app available so that the screen doesn't timeout/get locked after a few seconds? I want to use my phone (HTC Wildfire S) as a GPS device. The max interval for the phone display to stay 'On' is for 30 minutes(from settings-->Display-->screen timeout). After that I have to unlock the screen again to read GPS. This is very irritating if I am driving solo and have to stop every 30 minutes to unlock phone.
The phone wouldnt lock when the GPS is on right ? Never heard of this though. I'm WP 8.1 and iPhone 5 user, whenever I drive with the GPS, the screen never locks. I usually use Waze, Nokia Here or Gmaps. Could you try using using Waze maps and check if the screen locks ?
Old 29th November 2013, 18:43   #17157
BHPian

Guys I am planning to move from android to iPhone. I have found out a way to transfer contacts from android to iPhone. But I am not able to find how to transfer sms from android to iPhone. Please help.
Old 29th November 2013, 19:08   #17158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
The phone wouldnt lock when the GPS is on right ? Never heard of this though. I'm WP 8.1 and iPhone 5 user, whenever I drive with the GPS, the screen never locks. I usually use Waze, Nokia Here or Gmaps. Could you try using using Waze maps and check if the screen locks ?
Thanks NetfreakBombay, the app is good.

@2500cc, haven't used Waze, but for G-maps with GPS, the screen locks after 30 secs as mentioned in the display settings. The timeout interval can be rasied to 30 mins, but it doesn't allow me to disable screen lock. The above mentioned app does just that, and only for those apps specified by user.

Now comes the second hurdle: When I use google navigation with GPS, I enter a start point & an end point. The route is calcualted. My location is shown with a blue arrow. Problem is, as I am travelling on the path, the blue arrow moves and goes out of screen, but the section of the maps stays. So I am not able to see my position and incoming turns, crossing etc. Is it possible (may be via G-maps settings or by an app) to keep my location in the screen at a constant position and progress the map automatically as I travel along the path.

Last edited by ankan.m.blr : 29th November 2013 at 19:09.
Old 29th November 2013, 19:56   #17159
Senior - BHPian

Finally Motorola is heading the right way.
Razr HD is included in the list of devices which will get 4.4. Yay!
Old 29th November 2013, 20:11   #17160
Senior - BHPian

After the upgrade from 4.3 to 4.4 Kitkat, battery has gone down by a large margin. Earlier it used to last for atleast 24 hrs with wifi and 3g on. Now it has drop down to 15-18 hrs. On checking battery usage, it gives more usage on voice calls, which is not actually in reality.
Any suggestions/Any app i can use to improve or track the battery usage more efficiently.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks